Ping G425 closer than we think? (In hand Pics Pg. 16)

martinvan09

4 minutes ago, DFS PFD said:

Hot melt is not extra weight? Care to elaborate on that one? 

I dont mean hotmelt is weightless! 🤣👍 Haha.  I mean the make up the discretionary weight in a driver can be liquid (hotmelt) and metal (sole weights) but it has to equal your playing headweight. If you play at D5 swingweight, and your stock driver is D2, you can add about 6 grams of hotmelt to get to D5 (location inside head makes a difference).  If your driver is D5 and you want to add 6 grams of hotmelt, you need to reduce the sole weight by 6 grams,  if you just add hotmelt YOUR swingweight will be too heavy at D8.  So I'm saying that people aren't just randomly adding weight to their fit drivers.  Its calculated and deliberate...if that doesnt help let me know.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

PING G410 9 Flat(HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5/Ventus Black 7x)
PING G410 14.5 (HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5)
PING G425 LST 14.5 (Speeder Tour Spec 7.2x)

PING G410 17.5 (HZRDUS T1100 85g 6.5)

NIKE Vapor Fly 20* Iron (Modus105x HS)

PING i500 20* iron (DG105x100)

P7TW 3-PW (DGX7)

52 milled grind (DGX7)  / Vokey TVD K 58 (DGX7)
TM Spider Armlock/SIK Armlock

There are a few that would like to get a slightly different SW and hotmelt would be helpful. 

The rest have found a new buzzword and have been convinced that altering the sound by a couple of decibels will change their life.  All without even hitting a single shot.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Ping G430 10K 10.5º Chrome 2.0 S (on order)

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45" (soon to be mothballed)

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

1 hour ago, Homerun2Birdie said:

Not a Ping hater by any stretch of the imagination, nor do I hate any OEM hater for that matter. Love them all. Think they all produce and innovate in their own ways and I appreciate the substantial variety I’m afforded because of this.

But I just find it so interesting that Ping has some how garnered this reputation of never putting something out that’s not way better than a previous model. “No marketing machine for them, only good ole family run biz with products that are increasingly better year over year.” That’s all you hear.  And that’s not to say the majority of their releases don’t fall in this category... but then again I am having a hard time thinking of a major OEM who’s releases don’t also fall into this category as it relates to performance. And keep in mind looks are subjective, numbers are not. 

I am super curious to see the uproar or lack thereof if/when the 425 and 410 are essentially the same product. Again that’s not to say the 425 isn’t an excellent driver because by all accounts it is and will be one of the best. But then again, so was the 410. Early sings (BEING TAKEN HUGE HEAPING GRAINS OF SALT) just don’t scream “innovation and technological leap forward” or “Ping’s done it again”. It actually screams the same thing everyone crushes TM and Callaway for, “rehash or rebrand of last years highly successful model with a promise of even more performance gains”. This is everything the M1/M2 first gen to M1/M2 second gen was. 

And for all those who will smoke me for this post, I am man enough to come back on this same thread, quote this very comment, eat crow and admit my misgivings if after I hit the 425 at a fitter it is demonstrably better than my 410. 

I'd say that the approaches differ in a couple of ways.

1) First is in the marketing.   Is Ping going to say its products are improvements?   Sure.   But they're not one to put out outlandish claims that suggest improvements in a specific isolated case are applicable to everyone, or that some new era in performance has been created that's not readily verified.

2) For the most part, if you want to get a significant boost in one area of performance it's going to come at the expense of another area.   Whether or not the tradeoff is worth it is player dependent.   Ping tends to not have revolutionary improvements, but they rarely take a step back in (non subjective) areas.      

11 minutes ago, BlkNGld said:

I'd say that the approaches differ in a couple of ways.

1) First is in the marketing.   Is Ping going to say its products are improvements?   Sure.   But they're not one to put out outlandish claims that suggest improvements in a specific isolated case are applicable to everyone, or that some new era in performance has been created that's not readily verified.

2) For the most part, if you want to get a significant boost in one area of performance it's going to come at the expense of another area.   Whether or not the tradeoff is worth it is player dependent.   Ping tends to not have revolutionary improvements, but they rarely take a step back in (non subjective) areas.      

I guess this is exactly what I’m talking about. Maybe I’m not old enough to have all the TM and Cally releases stored in my mind. But from the M1 on what have been the “outlandish claims”. This just feels like a case of being unfairly tagged something due to a comment you made 20 years ago when you were a freshman in high school haha. Do TM and Cally have punchier more in your face advertisements/marketing campaigns, 100%. I doubt theres a sole on earth who’d argue that. In recent memory are their claims any different than that of Ping, or any other OEM. I really do not think so. 

And I am not in disagreement with your second point. And it is part of what delineates Ping from competitors in their space. I guess I just bristle at this fictional notion that Ping is the hero or beacon of truth in this industry while TM and Cally are these deceptive money grubbing villains haha. It just feels like there is this overly skewed sentiment in either direction. Perhaps just a microcosm of the times we are in.

TaylorMade Stealth 7.25º | Fujikura Ventus Black 6X
TaylorMade SIM2 13.5º | Diamana Thump 75X
Cobra F6 Baffler 17.5º | Diamana Thump 85X
Titleist T100s | Dynamic Gold X7
TaylorMade MG3 50º, 55º, 60º Hi Toe  | Dynamic Gold X7
PXG One & Done | Armlock

1 hour ago, elwhippy said:

Please explain this obsession with hotmelt? This club isn't on sale and people are saying it needs weight added. I thought Ping heads were heavier than the others so you must be skewing the swing weight and many years of Ping engineering experience. 

Sounds is terrible on these drivers (at least IMO) so it helps there the most.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, ASN21 said:

Sounds is terrible on these drivers (at least IMO) so it helps there the most.

Hmmmm...IMHO, I have been demoing the G425 Max 9* all week and compared to my G400 Max, I find it's noise pleasing. Although not as quiet as my Sim, much more muted than my XXIO X.

• Like 2

Had a chance to hit the g425, currently play the 410+. wasn't just wowed by it, maybe the shaft. Tried both the stock and tensei orange in it. But I agree with several other posters. Did not care for the sound, and felt different, even on center hits. I know I would like to try it some more, but so far like my 410 better.

I think this is a very smart looking version from PING and I like the classic black and grey/chrome accent.  I'm still not very keen on the look of turbulators but I guess I could get used to them.  This driver will perform great for sure but every reviewer mentions the sound and that concerns me.  I've specifically passed on drivers just because of the sound (looking at you Cobra F6 and PING G) and I'm hoping that the sound of these isn't going to ruin it.  

I've been a Cobra guy for a long time but the Rad kind of looks like a clown show to me (I'm probably getting too old).  Since it's January in Minnesota I've got plenty of time to test and decide on my new big stick but this G425 is one of the 3 I'll be test driving.  

Taylormade Sim 2 9.0 Project X Hzrdus Blue 60G | Mizuno JPX 919 Forged on KBS T120 | Cobra FlyZ 3W | Cobra FlyZ 5h | Bettinardi Studio Stock 2 Olympic Bronze | Vice Pro |

Need some head to heads.. so can make up my mind is the G425 LST as fast as TSi but more forgiving enough to make up for the sound it’s not bad but it’s not TSi or Sim worlds 

Titleist TSR3 9 Ventus Black TR 6X 
Titleist TSR3 15 Tensei Av Raw Orange 75TX 

Callaway UW 19 Tensei AV Raw Blue 85TX
4 - AW Titleist T100s Project X 6.5 

Cleveland RTX Zip Raw, 54, FullFace 58 Project X 6.5 wedge

L.A.B Golf Mezz1 35/71 Garsen Quad Tour
Titleist Pro V1 2023

I got to hit the MAX and LST yesterday.  In an inaccurate simulator so mainly just trying to get a sense for the looks and sound/feel.  The LST feels very solid.  Looks great behind the ball.  The big shocker for me was the MAX.  I admittedly haven't played the G400 Max.  I tried it years ago and hated the sound.  The 425 Max looks nice and square behind the ball.  Very neutral face.  But, man does it sound so awful.  The two heads I tried couldn't feel more different from one another.  

I really liked the look behind the ball though.  It felt pretty stable.  I will try it outdoors this Spring.  Hopefully by then, I will have a better idea on what hotmelt can do to help in the sound department.  But, ugh, it was pretty terrible, lol.  If it is a fairway finder, I could probably get over it.  Reminds me of the obnoxious sound of the sasquatch driver from years back.

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5* w/Kai'Li 70TX
Ping G430 Max 15* w/OG Ventus Blue 7X
Titleist TSR2 7w w/Ventus Red TR 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Bettinardi BB1 w/UST Mamiya All-In Graphite 
Mizuno Copper T22 52, 56, 60 w/MCA MMT 125TX Wedge Shafts
TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

Excited to try this one.  The sound concerns are overblown imo.  Put yarn in the head until it's muted to your taste.  Makes a huge difference, is removable, and doesn't effect weight like hotmelt.

G430 Max 9* - Hzrdus Blue PVD 
Stealth 15* - Tour AD-IZ 

U505 2i - Hzrdus Black rdx

T200u 4i - Tour AD
Fly Z + 5-P - PX LZ

SM10 - 50, 55, 60

Versa 7

I hit the new 425's today at one of the local shops (Uinta Golf here in Utah) 🙂  I brought in my own G410 (hotmelted) to compare with.  I hit about 20 balls each with my driver, the Max and the LST.  Switching up the order, hitting about 3 to 5 with a club before switching over to another one.  

First impression is that the Max is loud compared to the LST and my 410+.  Also, I was getting lower spin off the Max than the LST.   It was only 150 rpm's (average) less, but hey, it was still less.   Oh, I did bring in one of my Titleist ProV balls and hit that ball on every shot.

I used the Ping Tour X flex shaft for half the shots with the 425's, the other half I used my Ventus Blue 6S velacore shaft.  Disappointing to see that there really isn't a difference in the numbers, but the feel was a bit better.  Was hoping to see lower spin, or higher smash factor, etc.  Some quick numbers:  my driver = 108 chs, 158 bs, 12.9* L, 2290 S.  Max =108chs, 156.9bs, 14.4*L, 2021S, LST= 108.6chs, 157.5bs, 14.4*L, 2139S.

All in all, I like the look and feel of the 425s.  I'd like to hit them again a few more times - maybe even get them outside and see the actual ball flight - before plunking down $500 on a new driver.   Just working on the justifications now as to why the new driver will be so much better than the one I have now, even though the numbers are almost identical.

Can't wait to hit it again 🙂

1 hour ago, thigos said:

Excited to try this one.  The sound concerns are overblown imo.  Put yarn in the head until it's muted to your taste.  Makes a huge difference, is removable, and doesn't effect weight like hotmelt.

Just as an FYI, that yarn makes the club illegal. So being removable is a good idea.

Of course if you don't play in tournaments I suppose it doesn't matter (much) but if you do,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :classic_wink:

Saw the new 425s at the store today. Very nice looking. Guess I'll have to give the MAX a try but I don't see giving up either of my Epic Flash heads.

The irons look almost exactly like the 410s.

Edited by nsxguy

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

I was ready to buy one sight unseen today, mostly out of boredom due to lockdown and the fact that my favorite thing these days is waiting for packages to arrive in the mail.

BUT

The TXG video has killed my mojo. 

OG Stealth Graphite Design Ventus Blue TR 60X

Ping 425 Max Hotmelted Tensei Orange 1k

Titleist T100, Project X LS 6.5

Epic 3w/5w/4h - Tour AD-DI

Wedgeworks SM8 55.13D / SM9 60.08M

Scotty Cameron T22 FB

Looking forward to hitting the Max and LST. Played the G400 Max and currently G410 LST. I've simply hit Ping drivers straighter than others. Sound is a bit on the higher pitch side, but when I hit the ball where I want, that becomes a comforting sound. I also like seeing the Aldila Rogue white shaft. I play that shaft in my 3w and love it. I will hit the G425 before the end of the week. 

Does anyone else that watched the mainstream YouTube Influencers take away what I did?  They really didn't give stellar , shining reviews of the new G425 although

they didn't come out and say it fell short.  They did all pretty much say the sound was "Not good".   I imagine Ping isn't feeling great but they did get a win yesterday at 

the Sentry Tournament of Champions.  

I was ready to order a G425 Max but I may wait now 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Titleist TSi3  ,Ventus Blue 6S  Velocore

Ping G425 14.5  Fairway ,Tensei  AV Orange 75

Ping G425 17.5 Fairway  ,Tensei  CK Orange 75

Ping Anser 23 degree Hybrid

OnOff 2015 Kuro Irons ,Nippon Modus Tour 120

Scratch 50 ,54,58 Wedges  ,Nippon WV 115 Wedge Shafts

Scotty Cameron Champions Choice Newport  2+ 

Titleist Pro V1x

1 minute ago, Tzoid said:

Does anyone else that watched the mainstream YouTube Influencers take away what I did?  They really didn't give stellar , shining reviews of the new G425 although

they didn't come out and say it fell short.  They did all pretty much say the sound was "Not good".   I imagine Ping isn't feeling great but they did get a win yesterday at 

Hit the head on the nail for me. I bought the 410 LST sight unseen and never looked back. I will be testing the 425 for certain after seeing these preliminary reviews. I’ll be very curious to see if TXG does a thorough head to head because what I’m seeing right now is we just got the 410 in black and white. 

PXG One & Done | Armlock

2 hours ago, MysteryV said:

I was ready to buy one sight unseen today, mostly out of boredom due to lockdown and the fact that my favorite thing these days is waiting for packages to arrive in the mail.

hysterical.gifhysterical.gifhysterical.gif

Ain't THAT the truth.

Reminds me of the movie trailer for the old Steve Martin movie, "The Jerk". The new phone book is here, the new phone book is here".:classic_biggrin:

The FedEx truck is here. The FedEx truck is here !!!

DwUXwd.gif

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

25 minutes ago, Homerun2Birdie said:

Hit the head on the nail for me. I bought the 410 LST sight unseen and never looked back. I will be testing the 425 for certain after seeing these preliminary reviews. I’ll be very curious to see if TXG does a thorough head to head because what I’m seeing right now is we just got the 410 in black and white. 

They will, and E1 is completely unplayable. 
The only consistent today, was that the Max performs darn near identical to the LST, but requires hot melt with 100% certainty 

5 minutes ago, J-Zone said:

They will, and E1 is completely unplayable. 
The only consistent today, was that the Max performs darn near identical to the LST, but requires hot melt with 100% certainty 

Haha holy smokes, I haven’t watched the live review. I find those to be a giant waste of time usually. But I hadn’t really heard about the SW issue just the sound one that keeps popping up everywhere. How on earth did they let a head that heavy get sent to a source like TXG? That seems like a complete oversight by someone at Ping. 

• Like 2

PXG One & Done | Armlock

40 minutes ago, Tzoid said:

I think this might have been a byproduct of Ping's strange release where it was available elsewhere but NA and Europe had to pretend G425 didn't exist. I saw the TXG guys criticizing this as bizarre on two separate occasions (and I don't sit through their Q&A videos), and they are as mild-mannered as it gets, at least on camera.

I'm sure that many other reviewers had similar feelings and I would imagine that even given their best intentions of being objective during a review that a generally annoyed attitude towards Ping could influence things negatively. E.g. I thought that Ian from TXG wasn't too interested in trying to optimize the G425 driver after poor initial results and that Matt had to coax him into trying varying shaft options etc.

Edited by GolfTurkey

My summary after watching a bunch of reviews:

• G425 Max is unbelievably forgiving on mishits. Most (all?) the reviewers had almost no front to back dispersion.
  • G425 Max has excellent left to right forgiveness. Generally ranged from "straightest I've ever hit" to very good.
  • G425 Max and LST were both swung generally significantly slower than usual or (on the lower end of) average speed. Some reviewers made excuses for it e.g. Mike Newton (cold) and Crossfield ("too much Christmas"). Could be Ping's heavy head weights or aerodynamics. One exception was James Robinson who was quicker than his average CHS but was also the one person who sprayed it.
  • G425 Max's sound sucks and LST is ok to good.
  • G425 Max spins less than G400 Max and for some reviewers it spun the same or even less than G425 LST (obviously depending on strike pattern).
  • G425 LST was fairly significantly less stable than Max for I would say the majority of reviewers.
  • The G425 moveable weight is effective at moving ball flight left or right even though the three positions for neutral, draw and fade are closer together than G410 (weight is heavier in G425).

Predictions:

• G425 Max will sell very well, to the people who don't have a big drop in speed and who value performance over sound (for those with slower club head speed, a distance drop in exchange for more accuracy is a tough sell in these Bryson-dominated days).
  • G425 LST will be a lower percentage of the G425 generation sales than G410 LST was of the G410 generation sales. There doesn't seem to be enough of a spin reduction / ball speed increase to justify playing it except for the few whose eye it absolutely fits, can't live without the spin reduction and/or they hit it as straight or straighter than Max (or those who simply cannot game a Max due to the sound).
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2