Ping G425 closer than we think? (In hand Pics Pg. 16)

Gonna hit up my local PGA SS tonight and hope they have these demo heads. With the spin dropping with the Max, I'm hopeful that I can fit into that and keep spin around 2400 with the 9 degree head / Rogue shaft combo. If so I might just order on the spot and test against my current 410LST / Ventus Blue for the rest of the winter. 

A side note - I'm most curious for a real TXG head to head with proper fitted clubs (has to be coming today, right?) but also in-depth 410LST comparisons. The 425LST spin seems to be dropping into Mavrik SZ and SIM territory, lower than I could likely play. I think this sets up the 410LST to almost be a middle ground between the 425 Max and the 425LST (or even comparable to the Max)? Without hitting it and only seeing limited reviews so far it's hard to say, but once more data is available we could see some interesting stuff. 

Dispersion on the 425LST early reviews did not instill much confidence either - to be fair, comparisons were against 425 Max with a 5 digit combined MOI, but reviewers are seeming to openly say dispersion could be an issue.

Ping G410LST, 9, Ventus Blue 6S

Titleist TS2, 15, Hzrdus Smoke Black 70, 6.0

Titleist 818H1, 21 (set to 20), Tensei White Pro 90, S

Ping i210, 4-P (retro spec), DG 120 X

Ping Glide 2.0, 52 SS (bent to 51), 56 SS (bent to 55)

Callaway Jaws MD5, 60.8

Odyssey Triple Track 10 S, 34" / Odyssey SL1, 33.5"

Z Star XV

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So I got some time with both drivers on the sim today.  I used a Ping Tour 65 stiff that plays at 45.25” in both drivers, definitely not what I would be using but it’s what I have to work with at the

Happened to be around when the rep was in the shop.  Love the color combo in person.  Saw the hybrids and fw’s as well.  Turbulators are gone in the fw’s I believe.   Amazing how flat the soles are in

I wonder if Ping could hot melt my mother in law to improve the annoying sound?

Posted Images

19 minutes ago, Konklifer said:

Anyone reversing their decision to buy sight unseen off the TXG live review either never wanted it anyway, or were just waiting for a reason to knock Ping. 

TXG is usually solid, but that review was a waste. Why, when you have all of the resources in the world at your disposal for a proper fit, would you not utilize them? I expected better from them. Yes, I'm a Ping fan but also someone who felt the G410 drivers & fairways were not much an improvement over the G400. G410 hybrid is great, however.

When the real fitted review comes out, it will be worth talking about.

Are they mad at Ping? Thought I heard that vendors were complaining. 

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 Hybrid 18* (DI-95X)
Ping i20 3-UW (PXi 6.0, PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

I still ordered the 425 line sight unseen....if I feel like my 410s are better they stay.  If they are a push, then it's down to looks and feel.  I wont receive my order till mid February though....😤😡

PING G410 [email protected] loft (HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5)
PING G410 14.5 (HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5)
PING G410 17.5 (HZRDUS T1100 85g 6.5)
Nike vapor fly pro 2/3 Iron (HM3 105x, Modus105x HS)

Ping G410 19 Hybrid (Tensei ProWhite 100TX)

P7TW 3-PW (DGX7)

52 milled grind (DGX7)  / Vokey TVD K 58 (DGX7)
TM Spider Armlock/SIK Armlock

9 minutes ago, Holy Moses said:

Are they mad at Ping? Thought I heard that vendors were complaining. 

If they are, and THAT'S the reason for a weak "review", they need to get over themselves.

PING G400 Max 10.5° (-)
(fw tbd)
PING i25 22°, 26°
Callaway XHP 6-AW
PING Glide Forged 54°, 58°
PING TR B60, 35"
Srixon Z-Star Yellow
10 minutes ago, Konklifer said:

If they are, and THAT'S the reason for a weak "review", they need to get over themselves.

They don’t seem to be that type. Just trying to find a reason.

Ping Vault Arna

TXG just released a review of Matt hitting right handed with a stock shaft. Is it me or is the way they’re rolling out the 425 content hilariously not useful? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

TaylorMade SIM2 7.25º | Raijin Black 65X
TaylorMade SIM2 13.5º | Diamana Thump 75X
TaylorMade SIM 19º | Ventus Blue 9X
Titleist T100s | Dynamic Gold X7
Vokey 52ºF, 56ºD, 60ºLow K  | KBS $-Taper 130X
PXG Mini Gunboat - Gen 2

1 minute ago, Homerun2Birdie said:

TXG just released a review of Matt hitting right handed with a stock shaft. Is it me or is the way they’re rolling out the 425 content hilariously not useful? 

I think for folks like us, seeing Matt go through his usual fitting and swing at 120mph is what we're looking for. But for a lot of golfers, average swing speed and using stock shafts is what people are looking for as that's all they'll have access to. This is interesting for sure, but I'm still holding out for the 410LST vs 425 Max/LST, and the 425 Max/LST vs TSi3, Radspeed, etc. 

• Like 1

Callaway Jaws MD5, 60.8

Z Star XV

1 minute ago, arenapoutine said:

I think for folks like us, seeing Matt go through his usual fitting and swing at 120mph is what we're looking for. But for a lot of golfers, average swing speed and using stock shafts is what people are looking for as that's all they'll have access to. This is interesting for sure, but I'm still holding out for the 410LST vs 425 Max/LST, and the 425 Max/LST vs TSi3, Radspeed, etc. 

Totally understand the average golfer approach, but I can’t remember a release with this much meaning behind it where they essentially punted on what they’re known for, the down to the smallest detail tour style fitting to eek out every ounce of production on a club. So far we’ve gotten a lefty hitting righty with a stock shaft and what ever the heck you want to call that live review. I love these guys and what they do, but something seems off on this one. 

• Like 1

PXG Mini Gunboat - Gen 2

Just now, Homerun2Birdie said:

Totally understand the average golfer approach, but I can’t remember a release with this much meaning behind it where they essentially punted on what they’re known for, the down to the smallest detail tour style fitting to eek out every ounce of production on a club. So far we’ve gotten a lefty hitting righty with a stock shaft and what ever the heck you want to call that live review. I love these guys and what they do, but something seems off on this one. 

Fair enough. It is different for sure. I'll give them a week or so, if we don't see a more solid review/fitting and comparisons to other top drivers after that it definitely won't pass the smell test. Hopeful that what we're looking for is just later in their queue of content on this driver line. 

Callaway Jaws MD5, 60.8

Z Star XV

Just now, arenapoutine said:

Fair enough. It is different for sure. I'll give them a week or so, if we don't see a more solid review/fitting and comparisons to other top drivers after that it definitely won't pass the smell test. Hopeful that what we're looking for is just later in their queue of content on this driver line. 

I fully expect we’ll see the typical thorough review and the head to heads we’ve come to love, but I guess I’m just surprised at the initial content they’ve released. I’ll be shocked if this is what we see from the TM and Cally release. I mean the TSi got 2 or 3 awesome videos within the first week. These guys are best in class at what they do, so I’m actually leaning toward there was likely some intent behind what they’ve done thus far, and people can say grow up if they want, but I say good for them haha. 

PXG Mini Gunboat - Gen 2

28 minutes ago, mjmurphy said:

What did you end up ordering? Still trying decide between lst and max. 

I got the 9 degree LST because I play that in the 410.  If it is really 200-400 less spin in the same loft.  The 425 should be longer.  I got both 3 woods in the max and LST.  Because I want to try them both and pick the winner there. Then I got a 17 degree hybrid which I would use in the 5wood to 2 iron spot.  I have the 19 degree 410 hybrid and LOVE it but wanted to see if that 17 could replace my 5wood and 19H and give me an extra wedge...

P7TW 3-PW (DGX7)

Okay, I scoffed at the "sound" people. The 425 Max sounds horrendous. Not annoying like the Epic Flash, but just cheap.

That said, the feel, sound, and performance of the 425 LST is amazing if you want a stable SIM which is still a bomber with less of the spin variation. The sound and feel are great in a reduced footprint. Honestly, this will probably be the first LST I've ever gamed since it was outperforming my 410+ with a ProV1x- and my gamer shaft.

I have an actual fitting scheduled for the first week of next month for driver, but I would pull the trigger now on the 425LST if I wasn't willing to wait.

Edited by GolfChannel

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

6 minutes ago, jongalt55 said:

Has anyone seen the full Ping shaft matrix for 2021?  Would really like to see what the upcharge shafts are (and at what price).  Hoping KBS TD shaft is an option...

I think you can go to Second Swing and see them all

• Like 1

Ping Vault Arna

I have a true spec fitting Friday. hoping to hit the G425 max

unfortunately I can't bring my G400max with me to test head to head, but if I can drop a few hundred rpms of spin and keep it fade biased with the moveable weight

I might be sold.

I know I am giving up 10-15 yards with the G400max compared to my unicorn LTD Pro  just because I haven't really experimented with shafts but launching and spinning the G400 max a little high 16-17* launch 2600ish spin hurts my ego LOL hitting more fairways though..... i hate golf

Ping G400 Max 9* Aldila Rip-X 65TX
Callaway XR Pro 14* Graphite Design PM902X
Taylormade M3 17* Rescue Fujikura 869 Speeder Tour Spec X
Cobra Fly Z + Forged 4-PW Ping AMT 2.0 X Flex (LOL)
Wilson PMP 52,56,60
Directed Force 2.1
#vietnameeh

I think the best actual review of the ping g425 woods was done by 2nd swing...

• Like 2

P7TW 3-PW (DGX7)

7 minutes ago, Allskillz15 said:

Correct. I guess people wouldn’t know that unless they watched the livestreams.

5 hours ago, TylerG09 said:

I believe the fellas at TXG mentioned they don't yet have access to left handed heads in Canada so that may be the reason for them not giving the drivers the full treatment yet.

Pah. There you go ruining a good conspiracy theory with facts. Where's the fun in that!? 

• Haha 1
16 hours ago, TomBomb51 said:

Not huge on the sound, based on the few YouTube reviews I've watched. I realize its over the internet with a headset on, but the sound reminds be of an old school Sumo, just hollow sounding. I was hoping that Ping went the other direction and took a page out of Taylormade's book with the more dull-thud. My G410 is safe for now.

EDIT - Even more disappointing is that the LST sounds more, muted? More like the 410. I am a "mid speed" player around 108MPH whos miss is a knuckler. I got fitted by Ian at TXG about a year and a half ago and he wanted to keep my spin up more which is why I am in a 410 Plus. 425 Max would be my natural fit but definitely wont be moving to it with that sound.

I have a g425 Max.  It sounds nothing like the old Sumo.

2 minutes ago, MMB1500 said:

It might be just me but I'm a little surprised at the negativity around this product based on one TXG review, which wasn't even the way the would usually conduct one. 

Sure, the release was a sh!t show but I'm confident this will be a great product. Either way, let's give it a chance before we start writing it off! 

I didn't hate the TXG review.  They didn't have any left handed heads so they couldn't do their typical format of Matt hitting bombs.  I don't fault them for trying something different.  I do think that review did point out that the Max is LOUD.  If someone doesn't care about that, then it definitely performs.  If the sound is so obnoxious that someone doesn't want to play it, that's fine too.  Can't really argue that isn't super loud.  I hit it the other day.  I absolutely hate the sound.  But, from what I have seen from TXG and others reviews, I have never been more interested in a Ping driver.  Even though it sounds awful.  

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9* HZRDUS Smoke Green "The Hulk" 60 6.5TX
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15* Evenflow Black 75 6.5
Callaway X-Forged UT 21* w/Motore Speeder TS 8.8 X
Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW KBS 130X
Taylormade Spider X Navy/White 35"
Callaway MD3 52, 56, 60
All sitting comfortably in my Sun Mountain Sync Cart Bag