2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Ping G425 closer than we think? (In hand Pics Pg. 16)

martinvan09

Someone above said it sounded like a little league aluminum baseball bat. I can confirm, it was the first sound that came to mind when hitting the G425 Max. That said, the sound isn't universal. I was only getting that "tingy" sound when I missed off the toe (can't confirm sound on a heel miss).

Otherwise, it didn't sound out of the ordinary. 

Again, if you were between the SIM and the G410 in your fitting. With the 425 LST you get the SIM distance, feel, and sound with the stability of a Ping driver.

I will run it through the paces again on Thursday, but the 425 LST is seemingly perfection.

Edited by GolfChannel
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

I was able to hit a few with both the Max and LST heads last night and will be testing further later this week. Will in all likelihood spend money on the Max - 9 head had me at 15 launch, ~2100 to 2500 spin in the Rogue 70S. AV Raw X felt good but seemed to launch/spin a hair too high (to be fair, I was hitting driver high with everything last night). LST was pretty darn good too, but I think the spin in the Max is playable enough to game. 

Ping G430 LST, 9, Ventus Blue 6S

Titleist TS2, 15, Hzrdus Smoke Black 70, 6.0

Apex UW, 19, AD-DI 8S

Srixon ZX, 23

Ping i230, 5-PW, Modus 120x

Ping S159, 48.12 S (at 49)

Vokey SM10, 54.12 D

Vokey SM9, 60.12 D (at 59)

Odyssey Triple Track Ten S, 34"

Z-Star Diamond 

16 minutes ago, arenapoutine said:

I was able to hit a few with both the Max and LST heads last night and will be testing further later this week. Will in all likelihood spend money on the Max - 9 head had me at 15 launch, ~2100 to 2500 spin in the Rogue 70S. AV Raw X felt good but seemed to launch/spin a hair too high (to be fair, I was hitting driver high with everything last night). LST was pretty darn good too, but I think the spin in the Max is playable enough to game. 

How far apart were the two in terms of spin?

• Like 1

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5* w/Kai'Li 70TX
Ping G430 Max 15* w/OG Ventus Blue 7X
Titleist TSR2 7w w/Ventus Red TR 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Bettinardi BB1 w/UST Mamiya All-In Graphite 
Mizuno Copper T22 52, 56, 60 w/MCA MMT 125TX Wedge Shafts
TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

24 minutes ago, radiman said:

I experienced the same as some other in that the 425 LST actually spun more for me than the 425 Max all things equal (head weight, shaft, and ball). The G425 Max spun less than everything, the 425 LST lowered my spin just enough below the 410+ to make it right in that sweet spot 1700-2000 range.

Basically, get fit.

20 minutes ago, radiman said:

Take this with a grain of salt as I only hit a handful with each, but seemed like a couple hundred. LST stayed closer to 2000-2200, Max 2100-2500. Again, grain of salt, and I’ll be able to answer this better later this week. Honestly the 425LST seemed pretty darn similar to my current 410LST. 

Apex UW, 19, AD-DI 8S

Srixon ZX, 23

Vokey SM10, 54.12 D

Z-Star Diamond 

20 hours ago, vietnameeh said:

I have a true spec fitting Friday. hoping to hit the G425 max

unfortunately I can't bring my G400max with me to test head to head, but if I can drop a few hundred rpms of spin and keep it fade biased with the moveable weight

I might be sold.

I know I am giving up 10-15 yards with the G400max compared to my unicorn LTD Pro  just because I haven't really experimented with shafts but launching and spinning the G400 max a little high 16-17* launch 2600ish spin hurts my ego LOL hitting more fairways though..... i hate golf

You aren’t giving up 10-15 yards at all in real life. Those are completely playable numbers . You could reduce loft by a degree and it’ll bring launch down a little and probably spin it 2-300 less. 

Maybe if you play on a foresight which it’s bs algorithm you’re giving up 10-15 . Definitely not in real life golf 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, pinhigh27 said:

You aren’t giving up 10-15 yards at all in real life. Those are completely playable numbers . You could reduce loft by a degree and it’ll bring launch down a little and probably spin it 2-300 less. 

Maybe if you play on a foresight which it’s bs algorithm you’re giving up 10-15 . Definitely not in real life golf 

True! Also @vietnameeh, sounds like if you loft down a degree or two, you’ll be money. FWIW I see similar launch and spin numbers playing 410LST at 10 degrees as I do with G400Max at 8 degrees. 

• Like 1

Apex UW, 19, AD-DI 8S

Srixon ZX, 23

Vokey SM10, 54.12 D

Z-Star Diamond 

On 1/11/2021 at 10:46 PM, J-Zone said:

They will, and E1 is completely unplayable. 
The only consistent today, was that the Max performs darn near identical to the LST, but requires hot melt with 100% certainty 

Correct 1000%.  E1 is crazy.  

I've already Hotmelted 3 Ping G425's in my shop (2 max, 1 LST).  The Max has the biggest improvement especially when you swap the back weight to something lighter and add the missing weight back in melt.  Also depending on shaft, just shortening to 45" helps lighten things up significantly and melt can be added without changing out the back weight.

• Like 2

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

18 minutes ago, arenapoutine said:

Take this with a grain of salt as I only hit a handful with each, but seemed like a couple hundred. LST stayed closer to 2000-2200, Max 2100-2500. Again, grain of salt, and I’ll be able to answer this better later this week. Honestly the 425LST seemed pretty darn similar to my current 410LST. 

My buddy hit them both too.  He has a 410 Plus.  He was so pumped for this release.  He walked away second guessing his decision.  He was looking at the LST specifically.  He said they feel so similar that he's not sure it's worth switching.  We were on a Uneekor sim that was not giving us great numbers.  So, just going off sound/feel.  

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

1 minute ago, J13 said:

Correct 1000%.  E1 is crazy.  

I've already Hotmelted 3 Ping G425's in my shop (2 max, 1 LST).  The Max has the biggest improvement especially when you swap the back weight to something lighter and add the missing weight back in melt.  Also depending on shaft, just shortening to 45" helps lighten things up significantly and melt can be added without changing out the back weight.

This is definitely one scenario I was thinking about.  Do they have lighter weights readily available?  Did the Max have hot melt from the factory?  How much did you add?  And, did it make a significant difference in feel?

Sorry for the barrage of questions.  It's something I can't have done locally so just trying to get as much info on it if I decide to send it off to get done.

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

6 minutes ago, radiman said:

My buddy hit them both too.  He has a 410 Plus.  He was so pumped for this release.  He walked away second guessing his decision.  He was looking at the LST specifically.  He said they feel so similar that he's not sure it's worth switching.  We were on a Uneekor sim that was not giving us great numbers.  So, just going off sound/feel.  

For sure. I’ll be checking the LST and Max against 2ish months of my own data on the 410lst later in the week so I’m hopeful I can lay out what’s going on between these three drivers. 

Apex UW, 19, AD-DI 8S

Srixon ZX, 23

Vokey SM10, 54.12 D

Z-Star Diamond 

7 minutes ago, radiman said:

This is definitely one scenario I was thinking about.  Do they have lighter weights readily available?  Did the Max have hot melt from the factory?  How much did you add?  And, did it make a significant difference in feel?

Sorry for the barrage of questions.  It's something I can't have done locally so just trying to get as much info on it if I decide to send it off to get done.

Weights for the 425 are readily available at Billy Bobs and Ebay.  

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

Comparative spin, again, I will say it on every post, please god get fit:

G425 Max (10.5 Head turned down to 9.5) - 1425 rpm on avg.

G425 LST (9.0 Head Neutral) - 1800 rpm on avg.

G410 Plus (10.5 Head turned down to 9.5)- 2200 rpm on avg.

I play the left dash because it's perfect for my irons so the 425 LST gives me a driver head that allows me to get the most out of that choice. I launched the LST a bit higher than the 410+ and with the lower spin I was squeezing out better distances overall, but the real win was a tighter dispersion on front to back misses. The spin stability allowed me to typically only be 10 yards less on misses whereas with the 410+ I can vary 20-30.

The 410+ was still the straightest of the bunch (probably the straightest driver I've ever played), but the 425 LST was a close second.

Edited by GolfChannel

3 minutes ago, GolfChannel said:

I play the left dash because it's perfect for my irons so the 425 LST gives me a driver head that allows me to get the most out of that choice. I launched the LST a bit higher than the 410+ and with the lower spin I was squeezing out better distances overall, but the real win was a tighter dispersion on front to back misses. The spin stability allowed me to typically only be 10 yards less on misses whereas with the 410+ I can vary 20-30.

The 410+ was still the straightest of the bunch (probably the straightest driver I've ever played), but the 425 LST was a close second.

How on earth was the Max averaging 1400? (Apologies if I missed it in previous posts.) Consistent high/toe strike pattern? 

Apex UW, 19, AD-DI 8S

Srixon ZX, 23

Vokey SM10, 54.12 D

Z-Star Diamond 

23 minutes ago, GolfChannel said:

Look at the spin # alone, unless you have an AoA of 6+ or more, G410+ is the only one that you want to play. Again, it’s hard to fathom why G425 Max only generates 1425 rpm spin on average. I play G410+ and never get over 1800 in spin.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, arenapoutine said:

How on earth was the Max averaging 1400? (Apologies if I missed it in previous posts.) Consistent high/toe strike pattern? 

That's my miss, not high, but typically a toe side pick hitting way up on the ball.

During my last fitting my AoA is around 4.1.

Launch for me is typically around 15-17 degrees.

Ball speed usually between 152-158.

Typically shape is straight or a slight draw.

Edited by GolfChannel

24 minutes ago, golfer55082 said:

Look at the spin # alone, unless you have an AoA of 6+ or more, G410+ is the only one that you want to play. Again, it’s hard to fathom why G425 Max only generates 1425 rpm spin on average. I play G410+ and never get over 1800 in spin.

Typical AoA range is 4-7 from my Trackman report. Driver is not my best club, the G410+ has been a revelation for my game.

I also agree on the logic, but I revert back to my original statement. Please god just get fit.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, golfer55082 said:

Second this. I am wondering what launch monitor is used and if there are misreadings... 

Apologies, don't know how to multiquote, the launch monitor was a GCQuad. I was testing it out in the PGASS Tour Van booth.

I am aware I am an oddity. Super high spin with irons and super low spin with driver. I absolutely love the -Dash for my game. However, it hasn't always been as good for front to back distance retention with driver.

Edited by GolfChannel

12 minutes ago, GolfChannel said:

also agree on the logic, but I revert back to my original statement. Please god just get fit.

Agreed on the importance of custom fitting. Actually I would go ahead to make a bold statement that a 1-2 hour fitting is not enough, because we are not robots and we may have a swing flaw or tendency on that very day and the fitting result may not reflect how a club can perform in the real game. Plus, some clubs may take time to get used to; it CAN be the best fit only after we play for a few days.  Overall, I think fitting alone is over rated. The best way to test a club is to have it and actually play it for a few days. Custom fitting is only the beginning. 

Edited by golfer55082
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, golfer55082 said:

Agreed on the importance of custom fitting. Actually I would go ahead to make a bold statement that a 1-2 hour fitting is not enough, because we are not robots and we may have a swing flaw or tendency on that very day and the fitting result may not reflect how a club can perform in the real game. Plus, some clubs may take time to get used to; it CAN be the best fit only after we play for a few days.  Overall, I think fitting alone is over rated. The best way to test a club is to have it and actually play it for a few days. Custom fitting is only the beginning. 

That's actually what happened with me. I got fit for what was essentially a long drive shaft and it was great in the bay on fitting day, but my current shaft in the sig is what ended up being the true gamer. It has held up in everything I've hit it in thus far in terms of getting the most out of my swing.

Absolutely loved it in the Tsi3.

Excited to see how the driver shakes out this year.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, GolfChannel said:

Apologies, don't know how to multiquote

See the + to the left of "Quote" ?

Click on it - on each post you want to quote.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

2 hours ago, GolfChannel said:

What does the launch monitor show you on off axis strikes ?

When I see the spin as low as 2000 RPM, IF the strike is off axis to generate "side" spin of 5-600 or more the ball doesn't get up in the air and curves severely to the hook side (I can't hit a "fade" LOL).

This rings very true to me as that's my worst miss on the golf course. I sometimes hang back and off it goes, low and left - kind of a smother hook.

Do you see this sometimes ? Or similar to the fade side ?

Others have mentioned that the flight path on the LM represents a backspin-to-sidespin ratio. i.e. 2000 BS to 200 SS will be just fine, little-to-no curvature. But get that to 2000-600 and you're flirting with problems.

I hit the 2 of the Mavriks a few months ago just to see what I would see and saw BS of 1600 and 1800. Haven't hit it again.

Anyway, assuming this is true (the ratio & what the sims show), 1400 BS would seem to be flirting with disaster.

Do you see this effect on the course ?

I mean the 410MAX was so point & shoot, the only reason I didn't pursue it was the nearly 3K BS it gave me.

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

3 hours ago, pinhigh27 said:

3 hours ago, arenapoutine said:

True! Also @vietnameeh, sounds like if you loft down a degree or two, you’ll be money. FWIW I see similar launch and spin numbers playing 410LST at 10 degrees as I do with G400Max at 8 degrees. 

Awesome Thank You

I will see what my numbers are this Friday, I am guessing my speed is down due to covid (thats me excuse LOL)

PXG 0311XF Gen 5 7.5* Ventus Black 6X
Titleist 913D2 12* UST Mamiya Tour Green 75X
PXG Gen5 19* Ventus Black 10TX
Maltby TE Forged 4-G
Maltby TSW DRM 56 and 60
Taylormade Spider Long Broomstick
#vietnameeh

THE GOLF GARAGE SAN JOSE

Maybe I should be testing my clubs left handed?🙄 gotta take any bias out of it ya know....and then pick and order the best one for my normal right handed set...✌

PING G410 9 Flat(HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5/Ventus Black 7x)
PING G410 14.5 (HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5)
PING G425 LST 14.5 (Speeder Tour Spec 7.2x)

PING G410 17.5 (HZRDUS T1100 85g 6.5)

NIKE Vapor Fly 20* Iron (Modus105x HS)

PING i500 20* iron (DG105x100)

P7TW 3-PW (DGX7)

52 milled grind (DGX7)  / Vokey TVD K 58 (DGX7)
TM Spider Armlock/SIK Armlock

4 hours ago, nsxguy said:

What does the launch monitor show you on off axis strikes ?

When I see the spin as low as 2000 RPM, IF the strike is off axis to generate "side" spin of 5-600 or more the ball doesn't get up in the air and curves severely to the hook side (I can't hit a "fade" LOL).

This rings very true to me as that's my worst miss on the golf course. I sometimes hang back and off it goes, low and left - kind of a smother hook.

Do you see this sometimes ? Or similar to the fade side ?

Others have mentioned that the flight path on the LM represents a backspin-to-sidespin ratio. i.e. 2000 BS to 200 SS will be just fine, little-to-no curvature. But get that to 2000-600 and you're flirting with problems.

I hit the 2 of the Mavriks a few months ago just to see what I would see and saw BS of 1600 and 1800. Haven't hit it again.

Anyway, assuming this is true (the ratio & what the sims show), 1400 BS would seem to be flirting with disaster.

Do you see this effect on the course ?

I mean the 410MAX was so point & shoot, the only reason I didn't pursue it was the nearly 3K BS it gave me.

What do you mean by off axis? I know my dispersion spread and most common miss shape.

I typically hit the ball straight, slight draw if I go hard or a slight cut if I hang back on my back foot even slightly. My bad miss can either be a recovered punchy draw off the toe or just a straight block right.

I’ve always been the guy that just randomly hits an 800 BS ball after hitting the ball dead on my spin numbers 19 times out of 20. I have never really experienced this on the course unless it’s super cold out and I need a ball that isn’t as firm and forgot to make the switch.

Edited by GolfChannel

7 hours ago, pinhigh27 said:

Geez.. imagine actually believing this lol. Foresight might over exaggerate low spin, but it's across the board and definitely translates to "real" golf. 

What's the point in getting fit if you don't think the numbers improvement is "real"?

Titleist TSR2 10* Tensei Blue

Ping G410 2H

Ping G400 3H

Mizuno Pro 225 4i-GW

Mizuno T22 54S/58C Blue Ion LE

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 7