Ping G425 closer than we think? (In hand Pics Pg. 16)

martinvan09

13 minutes ago, Celeras said:

Geez.. imagine actually believing this lol. Foresight might over exaggerate low spin, but it's across the board and definitely translates to "real" golf. 

What's the point in getting fit if you don't think the numbers improvement is "real"?

Launch monitors tend to overemphasize roll compared to the course conditions the average person plays on so people think they gain more yards, particularly when chasing low spin. 

Those numbers the prior poster had were perfectly fine. 

If they have 165 ball speed, 16 launch 2600 spin is 275 carry 280 total on medium hardness surface

Dropping the spin to 2000 and keeping launch at 16( which is likely impossible) yields 280 carry, 288 total. 

So 8 yards gain with magically dropping spin 600 and keeping launch same, which is likely impossible. 

What do you mean across the board? No the algorithm blatantly fails at low spin rates. Reasonable ones like 2600 the distances are appropriate. 

The point of being fit is to see if stuff fits you, 16 launch with 2600 spin is a good fit and any changes from there will be pretty incremental. 

If speed is less than 165 than the difference is even smaller. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GolfChannel said:

What do you mean by off axis? I know my dispersion spread and most common miss shape.

I typically hit the ball straight, slight draw if I go hard or a slight cut if I hang back on my back foot even slightly. My bad miss can either be a recovered punchy draw off the toe or just a straight block right.

I’ve always been the guy that just randomly hits an 800 BS ball after hitting the ball dead on my spin numbers 19 times out of 20. I have never really experienced this on the course unless it’s super cold out and I need a ball that isn’t as firm and forgot to make the switch.

As I'm sure you know, the ball can't spin in multiple directions.

"Off axis" is what causes the ball to curve. i.e. the ball's backspin isn't exactly the same as the face angle at impact. This would be caused by the face angle and the path being different.

Rather than the launch monitor telling the player he hit it 5* off axis, which likely doesn't tell him/her much, the LM expresses it it "sidespin" - much easier for the player to process as to why the monitor shows the ball curving to either side.

So you're saying you're normal BS rate is 1400 and occasionally hit one around 800 ?

That's very interesting. With all the posts around here I've never heard of either number. I would think with such low spin numbers the ball'd knuckle terribly and/or fall right out of the sky.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

1 hour ago, pinhigh27 said:

Launch monitors tend to overemphasize roll compared to the course conditions the average person plays on so people think they gain more yards, particularly when chasing low spin. 

Those numbers the prior poster had were perfectly fine. 

If they have 165 ball speed, 16 launch 2600 spin is 275 carry 280 total on medium hardness surface

Dropping the spin to 2000 and keeping launch at 16( which is likely impossible) yields 280 carry, 288 total. 

So 8 yards gain with magically dropping spin 600 and keeping launch same, which is likely impossible. 

What do you mean across the board? No the algorithm blatantly fails at low spin rates. Reasonable ones like 2600 the distances are appropriate. 

The point of being fit is to see if stuff fits you, 16 launch with 2600 spin is a good fit and any changes from there will be pretty incremental. 

If speed is less than 165 than the difference is even smaller. 

Huh? I've never heard of anybody getting fit to optimize their roll out lol.

Titleist TSR2 9* Ventus Blue 6X

Ping G410 2H

Ping G400 3H

Mizuno Pro 225 4i-GW

Mizuno T22 54S/58C Blue Ion LE

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 7

21 minutes ago, Arsilon2 said:

Wondering about this...maybe non velocore version?

Knowing my luck, I get fit Monday and new fuji release comes out Tuesday and they are just marked down.

Ugh...but I want it so I'm buying it.   

PING G430 LST 10* Tensei 1K Pro Orange 50S

PING G430 LST 3Wd 16.0* Fujikura XLR8 61

PING iCrossover Ventus Blue HB 7R

PING i525 4-PW Mitsubishi OTi 105 Stiff

Edel 47* TRP/54* DVR/58* DVR KBS CTaper Lite 110 Stiff

PING PLD DZB Proto

1 hour ago, Celeras said:

Huh? I've never heard of anybody getting fit to optimize their roll out lol.

I got fit (indoor) recently to try and lower my ball flight and spin.  Sometimes changing loft isn't the key. I was "hoping" for a little more rollout instead of stop and drop high cuts.  Spin was 2700 with my gamer..changed shafts and bingo 2100 average with a nice penetrating ball flight. Rollout resulting from optimized angle of decent to me, is an added bonus from good numbers.  It really depends on what the issue is...

Edited by Avidswampthing66
error in sentence

🤖 A.I Smoke TD 10.5 w/ GD VF 5S

Sim 2 Ti 5W w/Diamana TB 70S

2024 Apex UW w/Tensei 1K Pro Blue 70S

Apex Pro 4-5 Nippon Modus 105S 

Apex CB 6-PW Nippon Modus 105S 

Jaws Raw 50S, 54W, 58Z

37" Odyssey 2-Ball 10 Tour W/Superstroke Zenergy Tour 13"

Chrome Tour 

Hit the G425 today.. I was kinda meh on it..

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

I hit the 425 Max at CC the other day.  The numbers were good and felt super solid across the face. The sound tho 😬  "like a thuddy softball bat"  Its A THING.  imo

• Sad 1

Jaws Raw 50S, 54W, 58Z

Chrome Tour 

3 minutes ago, Arsilon2 said:

You're braver than me.  Seems too good to be true.

Oh no.  I'll be paying full price.  Coming straight from fitter.  It's worth his charges to have everything come out perfect and him fix/change anything needed for free after I buy.   One of these drivers and likely 1-2 woods coming as well.  

The wait will suck. And he will hate me with the daily...no, hourly emails and texts for updates of delivery.  Does ping let me have a camera watching my clubs coming off the production line? Can I pay extra for that?   I could do that.  

• Haha 1

PING PLD DZB Proto

1 minute ago, Avidswampthing66 said:

I hit the 425 Max at CC the other day.  The numbers were good and felt super solid across the face. The sound tho 😬  "like a thuddy softball bat"  Its A THING.  imo

LST same?  I'd adjust it to be like the max if needed just to have better sound.  See GLST v G400LST.  G needed hot melt to not go deaf on the range.  God forbid you hit indoors.   Wear ear protection.  

But similar to ping iron "feel" I also like ping driver sound.  G400 wood...ok that's loud and tingy as well.  

• Like 1

PING PLD DZB Proto

1 minute ago, WarEagleGolf said:

LST same?  I'd adjust it to be like the max if needed just to have better sound.  See GLST v G400LST.  G needed hot melt to not go deaf on the range.  God forbid you hit indoors.   Wear ear protection.  

But similar to ping iron "feel" I also like ping driver sound.  G400 wood...ok that's loud and tingy as well.  

👍

i only hit G425 Max

Jaws Raw 50S, 54W, 58Z

Chrome Tour 

29 minutes ago, Avidswampthing66 said:

Is it worse than the Wilson Triton?

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

14 minutes ago, Holy Moses said:

Is it worse than the Wilson Triton?

I would say...definitely no.  But, there is a similar hollow tin metal sound.  Ping (to me) is a deeper flatter sound.  Hard to describe...but it performs fantastic

Jaws Raw 50S, 54W, 58Z

Chrome Tour 

I just “blindly” pre-ordered g425 Max with 9 loft without demoing it anywhere. Hopefully it will arrive shortly after Feb 4.

From the specs and reviews I am hopeful that it will increase stability and help with off-center hits. The review that helps me the most is the G410+ and G425M comparison video by Ali Taylor on UTube. He has a tendency of toe hits; the shots he shows demonstrates the correction of G425 Max on the otherwise severe hook shots.  

Hit the FW and hybrids at PGA SS with the ping shafts. SWing weight felt all over the place so really just wanted to see them and get a feel for the heads. 

I really enjoyed the look, feel, sound of the LST 3 FW. Spin was significantly less than the max fw 3. 400rpms less. Max Fw looks good but the sound is def a ping. I don’t see these knocking out my sim ti. 

hybrid was very solid sounding, looks good and was not going left on me. This will be in running for a spot in the bag. Currently gaming a TS2. 

TM SLDR 10.5* - Aldila RIP Beta 60X
913 FD 15* - Motore Speeder TS 8.3X
913 HD 20* - D+ 92X
712 U 4 & CB 5-PW C-Taper S+
sM4 50.12, 54.11, 60.10 C-taper S
see More M3 Platinum

14 hours ago, nsxguy said:

As I'm sure you know, the ball can't spin in multiple directions.

"Off axis" is what causes the ball to curve. i.e. the ball's backspin isn't exactly the same as the face angle at impact. This would be caused by the face angle and the path being different.

Rather than the launch monitor telling the player he hit it 5* off axis, which likely doesn't tell him/her much, the LM expresses it it "sidespin" - much easier for the player to process as to why the monitor shows the ball curving to either side.

So you're saying you're normal BS rate is 1400 and occasionally hit one around 800 ?

That's very interesting. With all the posts around here I've never heard of either number. I would think with such low spin numbers the ball'd knuckle terribly and/or fall right out of the sky.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Normal spin rate for me is around 2200 with my G410+. I have no idea why I was getting such low numbers with the G425 Max, but I was cycling between them every 10 shots and the pattern remained.

I do however hit a random dead duck spin wise. Doesn't need to be a low spin head, it just always happens. I haven't really seen it happen too much on the course, but it has happened.

From the pictures from a couple sessions in the past my average sidespin is 75 rpm L and my Horizontal launch avg. is 1.1 deg. L.

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

2 hours ago, GolfChannel said:

Normal spin rate for me is around 2200 with my G410+. I have no idea why I was getting such low numbers with the G425 Max, but I was cycling between them every 10 shots and the pattern remained.

I do however hit a random dead duck spin wise. Doesn't need to be a low spin head, it just always happens. I haven't really seen it happen too much on the course, but it has happened.

From the pictures from a couple sessions in the past my average sidespin is 75 rpm L and my Horizontal launch avg. is 1.1 deg. L.

Strange, would be interested in any data you have like old TM sheets or whatever. 

1 hour ago, jongalt55 said:

Seems as though Carl's just has better upcharge pricing for some reason.  Compare Carl's to 2nd Swing and Carl's is lower pretty much across the board...

I was just looking through their options.  They sure do have much better pricing.  The Tensei Raw Orange TX is only a $162 upcharge.  Crazy.  I think I would stick to a counter balanced shaft just due to the head weight of this thing.  Just don't know if the head weight is significant enough to warrant a 65 gram or if I should stick to 75.  

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5* w/Kai'Li 70TX
Ping G430 Max 15* w/OG Ventus Blue 7X
Titleist TSR2 7w w/Ventus Red TR 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Bettinardi BB1 w/UST Mamiya All-In Graphite 
Mizuno Copper T22 52, 56, 60 w/MCA MMT 125TX Wedge Shafts
TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

Just placed an order for a Max and LST. Sticking with the AV Raw orange in both but I requested the lowest loft available (paid the charge for digital lofting) and for the Max I ordered 4g hot melt front and center. Hopefully this will help with the sound issues everyone keeps mentioning. 

Also ordered each of them a bit long and D3 swing weight. Hopefully this will reduce the headweight a bit and make them more playable if I want to swap shafts. 

We will see how close the order ends up being!

• Like 2

Titleist TSR2 - TPT Nitro 16lo
Taylormade SIM Ti 3w - Tensei 1k Black 85tx
Taylormade SIM Ti 5w - Fujikura Ventus Black 9x

Cobra Tec Hybrid 2 - Kai'li 90tx

Cobra Tec Hybrid 4 - Aldila Tour Black 105tx
Srixon ZX5/ZX& Mkii 5-PW - Project X 6.5

Callaway Jaws Raw 50s, 54s, 58z - BGT ZNE 130

Putter - LAB something or another

4 hours ago, cardinal22 said:

Confirmed this IS the Velocore model. So pretty good deal. We’ll see what shows up. They told me the shaft up charge will add 2-3 weeks to delivery so will have to be patient. 

There is a SRP price and a Pro price. The Pro price is what PING charges the account for upgrades. The account can charge up to the SRP but are not penalized if they only charge the Pro price. Kinda like their blue/orange column pricing.