Ping G425 closer than we think? (In hand Pics Pg. 16)

31 minutes ago, Arsilon2 said:

After purchasing the ventus red, I emailed them today and got this response

"That does not look to be the one with the velocore as it is not stated on their website"

Hmm.  I was thinking about a Ventus too.  But, I think I am going to stick with a CB shaft of some sort.  

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9* HZRDUS Smoke Green "The Hulk" 60 6.5TX
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15* Evenflow Black 75 6.5
Callaway X-Forged UT 21* w/Motore Speeder TS 8.8 X
Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW KBS 130X
Taylormade Spider X Navy/White 35"
Callaway MD3 52, 56, 60
All sitting comfortably in my Sun Mountain Sync Cart Bag

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So I got some time with both drivers on the sim today.  I used a Ping Tour 65 stiff that plays at 45.25” in both drivers, definitely not what I would be using but it’s what I have to work with at the

I'd consult a Dr.  Sounds serious.

Happened to be around when the rep was in the shop.  Love the color combo in person.  Saw the hybrids and fw’s as well.  Turbulators are gone in the fw’s I believe.   Amazing how flat the soles are in

Posted Images

16 minutes ago, radiman said:

Hmm.  I was thinking about a Ventus too.  But, I think I am going to stick with a CB shaft of some sort.  

Ventus shafts are more CB than traditional...

PING G410 [email protected] loft (HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5)
PING G410 14.5 (HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5)
PING G410 17.5 (HZRDUS T1100 85g 6.5)
Nike vapor fly pro 2/3 Iron (HM3 105x, Modus105x HS)

Ping G410 19 Hybrid (Tensei ProWhite 100TX)

P7TW 3-PW (DGX7)

52 milled grind (DGX7)  / Vokey TVD K 58 (DGX7)
TM Spider Armlock/SIK Armlock

9 hours ago, Bunkersarebigcups said:

I think it depends on the company. Cobra is low CG on all costs, PING is high MOI, Callaway goes for max ballspeed and consistency of speed over the face, Taylormade chases high launch, low spin.

I know you maybe oversimplified this, but I don’t know if I’ve seen a more representative summation of these OEM’s... ever. Pulitzer Prize coming your way man. 

TaylorMade SIM2 7.25º | Raijin Black 65X
TaylorMade SIM2 13.5º | Diamana Thump 75X
TaylorMade SIM 19º | Ventus Blue 9X
Titleist T100s | Dynamic Gold X7
Vokey 52ºF, 56ºD, 60ºLow K  | KBS $-Taper 130X
PXG Mini Gunboat - Gen 2

1 hour ago, Oldboy said:

There have been at least 2 head to head comparisons with the 425vs410 and 425vs400 where the ball speeds for the 425 were .. not an improvement.  And overall performance was not easily distinguishable as to if there was a significant improvement. I think its by far the best looking driver they've put out in a awhile.  Stealthy.  But the reviews so far have been tepid as someone else mentioned imo.  

Idk why you guys think ball speed is going to be improved. On good strikes it’s basically impossible to significantly improve barring some magic aerodynamic thing no one has figured out. They can get more forgiving or lower spinning but they’re not really going to get faster 

I also don’t know how people expect “significant improvement.” I think a lot of people go through honeymoon periods and then end up with the exact same thing. If you go hit something from 5 years ago it’s really not that different so it’s pretty hard to believe multiple “significant “ transitions are occurring in that time period 

• Like 3

G425 launched in the northern Europe. Had a quick session with G425 Max and LST drivers. As it's winter and restrictions haven't hit balls once since November, so not concerned about absolute numbers yet. Some notes vs 410

Feel: Really enjoyed Max, LST was bit harder. both improved vs 410. Really liked Tensei (S), smoother than Tour.

Looks: very nice, smoother than 410 and matte grey finish and less pronounced turbulators are so much better/less busy

performance: had only 30min, so indicatively Max spin reduced vs Plus, LST also lower than in 410. 410's were spinning 300-400 more than M2.

conclusion: Really liked Max @9 but both contenders to replace M2 -16 due to high MOI and hopefully bit better launch conditions than 410's, which were was too spinny. M2 with AD-DI is still very good. Will wait until we get SIM2, Cobra's, etc. to test against and maybe try to get a shaft at 46-47" with Max ;-).

(background 1 hcp, 104mph driver speed)

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Homerun2Birdie said:

I know you maybe oversimplified this, but I don’t know if I’ve seen a more representative summation of these OEM’s... ever. Pulitzer Prize coming your way man. 

Actually only a summary of some TXG content and the site that shall not be named;)

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 @ 8.75

Taylormade RocketBallz Tour 3 Hybrid 18.5 or MP Titanium 4W 16.5

Nike Victory Red Hybrid 3 21.0

Mizuno MP 52 4-PW

Mizuno MP T-11 52/07

Wilson Staff PMP Wedge 56/14

Mizuno MP T-11 60/05

Mizuno/Bettinardi  BC1

23 minutes ago, Bunkersarebigcups said:

Actually only a summary of some TXG content and the site that shall not be named;)

Haha fair enough.

TaylorMade SIM2 7.25º | Raijin Black 65X
TaylorMade SIM2 13.5º | Diamana Thump 75X
TaylorMade SIM 19º | Ventus Blue 9X
Titleist T100s | Dynamic Gold X7
Vokey 52ºF, 56ºD, 60ºLow K  | KBS $-Taper 130X
PXG Mini Gunboat - Gen 2

Had my fit today. First off, I liked the sound of the 425 Max over my 400 Max. It was definitely more muted, so if that's peoples complaint then sure. But I preferred it myself so make sure you give it a go in person.

Numbers wise I didn't see any appreciable difference, but I was pretty disappointed with club champion as they didn't even have my shaft to use as a starting point so who knows. The "final" fit recommendation ended up being an Epic Max and Hzrdus Smoke($415 yikes), but there's no chance I was buying anything on that session so I passed. This is the last time I do a January fitting because I was swinging like absolute garbage and was completely gassed by the end of it haha. Yikes. Definitely will go back mid season for round 2.

FWIW the numbers with the Epic Max were better on this particular day, but not all that different than what I see normally. Granted this was a Trackman and I usually hit on GC2 locally.

Ping G400 Max 9.5*

Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 3W

Ping G410 2H

Cobra Forged Tec 4-6 iron, ONE length

Ping G400 7-UW

Cleveland CBX 54/58

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5

Wow to above, I disliked the tinny sound

hit 425 max today and way prefer my 400 max ... gotta get a backup

hit the av tensei orange x shaft fwiw

• Like 1

Ping G400 Max Graphite Design AD XC 6x

Ping G400 5w Blueboard ion 73x G400 7w GD PM902s

Callaway Apex 4h 23* KK Slvr 80x Apex 5h 26* Fubuki 82x

Srixon ZX7 4 - PW Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120s
Vokey SM2 50*, SM2 TVD 56*M, & Vokey Special 60*P

Scotty GoLo 7

30 minutes ago, cardoustie said:

Wow to above, I disliked the tinny sound

hit 425 max today and way prefer my 400 max ... gotta get a backup

hit the av tensei orange x shaft fwiw

was it just the sound you preferred or anything else you can point to? I’m a 400 Max guy now and was hoping the 425 might be the unicorn of same forgiveness with a tad lower spin and more adjustability. 

I hit the G425 series today. I had a Tensei Orange 60X with the Max at 9* in the draw setting. It definitely set up more closed looking this way than I was expecting. The sound was not good. Just sounded cheap, just like an aluminum bat. It wasn't loud like my G30 was before I got hot melt in it, but not a fan of the sound. The Max was just as good as anything else distance wise, but I had serious issues with spin. Even with the 10.5* head, I couldn't get the spin above 2,000 RPMs. PGA Tour Superstore has some wacky GC2s. My ball speed numbers are always 10 MPH behind everything else even though my carry numbers are right where they should be. How can I hit a 310 yard drive with 154 MPH ball speed? They gotta fix those machines because now I'm questioning the spin and the ball speed. 

The hybrid was an absolute bomber. 1-2 MPH ahead of last year's I thought. The Crossover felt nice and was hot, but starting with last year's 410 and this year's G25, the heads on the Crossovers are too small. They need a larger hitting surface. They just aren't that accurate of clubs. 

• Like 3

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 Hybrid 18* (DI-95X)
Ping i20 3-UW (PXi 6.0, PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Took a look at the G425 at PGA SS today as well.  Werent on the shelves but they had some at the hitting bays.  I do like the more muted all black design over the red they used in the 410's  I still prefer the copper on my G400 but the 425 looks nice.

BTW, as an aside the 425 irons look very nice as well.  I thought the last iterations of the 400 series (400 and 410) were gross looking.

Ordered the 425 max last night. 9 degree head set to the small plus sign. Rogue 130 70x playing at 44.75 inches. Requested neutral hot melt to get the swing weight to D4. First time ordering a new Ping driver but everything I've heard is they are great at meeting the requests made for non standard specs. Now the waiting begins...

• Like 2

Callaway Mavrik Rogue 130 white 60x
Callaway Mini 1.5 Rogue 130 white 70s 
Callaway Mavrik 5w Fujikura Pro 2.0 
Callaway Apex cf19 4-PW Project X LZ
Callaway Jaws MD5 Raw 50S, 54X Vokey WW 58V
Compass Golf Custom Flow neck

How are the 3 woods? 

they look good in the TXG review. normally hate the shallow Ping heads.

tempted to replace my m5 with either a 425 or a sim2.

• Ping G410 LST 9* Tensei Orange 70TX
  • Taylormade M5 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • Taylormade P790 18* UDI Project X 6.5
  • Ping Blueprint 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217
13 minutes ago, scott_Donald said:

How are the 3 woods? 

they look good in the TXG review. normally hate the shallow Ping heads.

tempted to replace my m5 with either a 425 or a sim2.

To be honest, the TM or Callaway fwy woods are much better looking and judging by Tour usage, better.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Ping i20 3 Hyb 707H Stiff
TM R7 TP 3i Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4_-PW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 52º cc, Ping ES 56º and ES 60º
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

1 hour ago, Socrates said:

To be honest, the TM or Callaway fwy woods are much better looking and judging by Tour usage, better.

Don’t agree there at all,

The fairway woods are spectacular, and I’ve hit everything but the new Cally fairways.

The best of course is Tour Issue SIM Max iterations but they look and perform incredible and ball speeds are unreal in the 425’s.

easily hitting 160 off the deck, which is super uncharacteristic for me.

• Like 2
On 1/15/2021 at 11:11 AM, Arsilon2 said:

After purchasing the ventus red, I emailed them today and got this response

"That does not look to be the one with the velocore as it is not stated on their website"

Interesting...was it Carl's that told you it isn't velocore?  I wasn't aware of a ventus that not's velocore other than the TM shafts.  Is there an aftermarket non-velocore ventus or non-velocore that other OEM's have used?  The upcharge seems like a good, but not ridiculous deal for a velocore...it would be a tremendous rip off if it wasn't the velocore...

Bag 1                                                                                          Bag 2

Ping G410+ 9* Rogue Silver 70TX                                           Taylor Made Original One 13.5* Aldila ATX 75X

Cobra Speedzone Tour 5 16* Rogue Silver 80TX                   Tour Edge Exotics CBX 20* Aldila Rip Alpha 105X

Titleist TS3 20* Rogue Black 95TX                                          Ben Hogan Ft Worth Hi 26* Recoil 110X

Titleist T-MB 4, 5 Recoil 110X                                                   Ben Hogan Ft Worth 32*, 38*, 44*, 50* Recoil 125X

Honma TR20V 6-11 Steelfiber 125X                                         Ben Hogan TK-15 58* Recoil Wedge Proto 125X

Bettinardi HLX 3.0 56* Steelfiber 125X                                    Ping Vault Anser 2

Fourteen RM-22 60* Black Onyx S400

Taylor Made Spider FCG L-Neck

38 minutes ago, dmbrill719 said:

Interesting...was it Carl's that told you it isn't velocore?  I wasn't aware of a ventus that not's velocore other than the TM shafts.  Is there an aftermarket non-velocore ventus or non-velocore that other OEM's have used?  The upcharge seems like a good, but not ridiculous deal for a velocore...it would be a tremendous rip off if it wasn't the velocore...

It was Carls and that was after they told @cardinal22 the opposite.  So I called Ping and they basically told me they don't use anything but the real deal and it would be velocore.  

• Like 1

Putting in my order now...425 Max Ventus Blue.

Bag 1                                                                                          Bag 2

Ping G410+ 9* Rogue Silver 70TX                                           Taylor Made Original One 13.5* Aldila ATX 75X

Cobra Speedzone Tour 5 16* Rogue Silver 80TX                   Tour Edge Exotics CBX 20* Aldila Rip Alpha 105X

Titleist TS3 20* Rogue Black 95TX                                          Ben Hogan Ft Worth Hi 26* Recoil 110X

Titleist T-MB 4, 5 Recoil 110X                                                   Ben Hogan Ft Worth 32*, 38*, 44*, 50* Recoil 125X

Honma TR20V 6-11 Steelfiber 125X                                         Ben Hogan TK-15 58* Recoil Wedge Proto 125X

Bettinardi HLX 3.0 56* Steelfiber 125X                                    Ping Vault Anser 2

Fourteen RM-22 60* Black Onyx S400

Taylor Made Spider FCG L-Neck

I also saw them today for the first time. I took only 3 swings in the bay at PGASS with the 3W LST with the Tour 75 X. I had my daughter with me so I didn’t have time to try and warm up with a 7i but the 3 shots were definitely solid and I thought the sound was pretty good. I still miss the look of the turbolators in the fairways but I get what Ping is trying to do.

I’ll give it another shot in the spring when I can warm up and hopefully have hit a ball in the previous 60 days.

Tried the G425 Max and LST at Roger Dunn today.

Disappointed doesn't begin to describe the Max. Even with a CB Alta, the whole driver felt heavy. I reminded me of the G410+ and that experiment lasted 1 week. Just for kicks, I also tried the TSi2 and MAN that is a NICE driver from Titleist. Ball speed was up and so was my carry. Went back to the Max - BAH, could not get anything out of it. I started with the 9* and switched to the 10.5, better launch for me but SLOW.

The LST was much nicer. Felt less weighty than the Max. Had some pretty decent ball speed. I tried both the 9 and 10.5 and I could live with either one of them.

I think I will wait for the Callaway Epic Max LS. I just cannot see myself plonking $500+ on this driver on pre-order when really my Speedzone is killing it today at the course (after the visit to Roger Dunn).

Sigh. Next.

Edited by SwingBlues

Cobra Pars & Stripes Speedzone, Fujikura Ventus Blue 6-S Velocore, Club Conex Uni-Fit
Honma 737 13* 3 wood, Vizard A 50S shaft

Taylormade M4 HL 16.5* 3 wood with UST Elements Chrome 7F4
Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid

Cobra Speedzone irons 4 - PW Recoil ESX F4 shafts
Cleveland CBX2 48* wedge & Cleveland FullFace 56* wedge with Catalyst 100 shafts
Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with BGT Stability shaft
#1 Snell MTB-X / Black, #2 Srixon XV 5/6

Graves One Plane swing

1 hour ago, SwingBlues said:

Tried the G425 Max and LST at Roger Dunn today.

Disappointed doesn't begin to describe the Max. Even with a CB Alta, the whole driver felt heavy. I reminded me of the G410+ and that experiment lasted 1 week. Just for kicks, I also tried the TSi2 and MAN that is a NICE driver from Titleist. Ball speed was up and so was my carry. Went back to the Max - BAH, could not get anything out of it. I started with the 9* and switched to the 10.5, better launch for me but SLOW.

The LST was much nicer. Felt less weighty than the Max. Had some pretty decent ball speed. I tried both the 9 and 10.5 and I could live with either one of them.

I think I will wait for the Callaway Epic Max LS. I just cannot see myself plonking $500+ on this driver on pre-order when really my Speedzone is killing it today at the course (after the visit to Roger Dunn).

Sigh. Next.

I spent an hour today with Max LS. It’s spectacular. It’s down to TSI3 and Max LS to make the bag this season.

Don’t want to takeaway from the thread, but I did pull the trigger on the new 425 hybrid. Huge improvement on feel, sound and spin across the face. Was an easy decision.

I wish that Ping somehow took the hybrid feel and sound and used that as the benchmark for the entire lineup.

• Sad 1

I've spent some time with the whole g425 lineup.  I've also posted that if the G425 Max performed that I could overlook the sound.  Well I still think that is true, but man does it sound odd.  It sounds like a softball bat.  Not what I was expecting at all.  Performance was ok, but it didn't wow me yet.  I would like to hit it outside before fully passing judgement.

The G425 LST was really nice, but I honestly like my 410 LST better.  The winners in my eyes so far have been the G425 irons.  Subtle improvement, but fantastic.  The G425 LST 3 wood does everything perfectly.  The G425 hybrids have impressed me the most so far.  Good release from Ping.

• Like 1

Let me tell you what Wooderson is packin'
Titleist TSi2 9° AD IZ 6s
Titleist TS2 16.5°  EF White 65s
Ping G410 21° EF White 75s
Ping G410 22°/25°/30° Hybrid Tensei White
Mizuno HM 7-PW Recoil 95r
Ping Glide 3.0 GW/SW

Ping Eye 2 XG LW

Ping Sigma 2 Valor

20 hours ago, Socrates said:

I have for the last 10 years had TM 3 woods but none lasted more than 2 years. Even my Tour issue M2 Tour tour issue 3 wood. My M5 is good but to get it to sit on the ground how I like always takes longer than it should before I swing!

19 hours ago, J-Zone said:

Don’t agree there at all,

The fairway woods are spectacular, and I’ve hit everything but the new Cally fairways.

The best of course is Tour Issue SIM Max iterations but they look and perform incredible and ball speeds are unreal in the 425’s.

easily hitting 160 off the deck, which is super uncharacteristic for me.

Interesting. thanks.

As I said I still have my M2 Tour tour issue head but off the deck it was not as good as the M5. 3 wood is such a hard club to get right.

Funny thing is I have practiced a lot with my 3 wood this year but in my last 4 rounds I have not hit it once, that's why I am thinking what's the point in replacing it. 

Edited by scott_Donald
  • Ping G410 LST 9* Tensei Orange 70TX
  • Taylormade M5 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • Taylormade P790 18* UDI Project X 6.5
  • Ping Blueprint 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

Got to spend some time last night with the g425 max at a friends golf shop on the launch monitor. Put it against my g410+ with the same hzrdus smoke black shaft I play in my g410. Unfortunatley , very underwhelmed with the g425. no gains in distance my dispersion was worse. Had a hard time turning it over. In fact my friend said almost everyone demoing the g425 so far, stated it seemed to want to go right on them. But most of all was the sound! Like some other poster stated, it reminded me of the older loud cobra drivers! Oh well saved me $500. Sad, was hoping to buy a new driver!

• Like 1