Jump to content

Ping G425 closer than we think? (In hand Pics Pg. 16)


Recommended Posts

Just now, 4cowboys said:

Got to spend some time last night with the g425 max at a friends golf shop on the launch monitor. Put it against my g410+ with the same hzrdus smoke black shaft I play in my g410. Unfortunatley , very underwhelmed with the g425. no gains in distance my dispersion was worse. Had a hard time turning it over. In fact my friend said almost everyone demoing the g425 so far, stated it seemed to want to go right on them. But most of all was the sound! Like some other poster stated, it reminded me of the older loud cobra drivers! Oh well saved me $500. Sad, was hoping to buy a new driver!

Hard time turning it over SOUNDS AMAZING!!!

did you have the weight neutral or toe? 

Tendency to go right would be IDEAL

 

very interesting 

more insight if anyone 

appreciated

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So I got some time with both drivers on the sim today.  I used a Ping Tour 65 stiff that plays at 45.25” in both drivers, definitely not what I would be using but it’s what I have to work with at the

I'd consult a Dr.  Sounds serious.

Happened to be around when the rep was in the shop.  Love the color combo in person.  Saw the hybrids and fw’s as well.  Turbulators are gone in the fw’s I believe.   Amazing how flat the soles are in

Posted Images

Just now, Morry said:

Hard time turning it over SOUNDS AMAZING!!!

did you have the weight neutral or toe? 

Tendency to go right would be IDEAL

 

very interesting 

more insight if anyone 

appreciated

 

Tried the weight in all positions. Also the club head felt very heavy to me. I seem to think the moveable weight system works better on the g410 than the g425. At least for me, I notice more of a change when moved.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Max seems fairly neutral to me and doesn't seem to want to go right or left.  As others have said the sound is like the Cobra L4V.  Loud and in need of hotmelt asap.  Haven't hit the LST yet but i'm hearing great things.

Ping G410LST 9* / Fuji Ventus Black 7X                  

Cally Mav SZ 13.5* / Fuji Ventus Black 7X               

Cally Mav Pro 20*  / Fuji Ventus Black 10TX

Honma 737V / Mitsubishi MMT 125TX

Cally MD5 wedges / Mitsu MMT 125TX

 




 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I took the 425  LST for a spin yesterday on trackman with the Rogue white 70-X.  I have gone to 60g driver shafts recently so not a great comparison. 

 

My biggest takeaway was that it's a Ping driver, looks acts and preformed pretty similar to the their last few iterations.  G400 Max with a low spin shaft was special, and will remain (excluding sound) difficult to improve on.  I almost wish they would go back to the 18 mo./2 year cycle for woods.  Or bring back the I series and go every other year G then I.   

Titleist TSi3 9.25*  HZRDUS Smoke Green 6.5tx 
Titleist TSi3 5W 18* Tensei AV Raw White- x
Srixon Z 745 (4-pw) KBS tour-x
Mizuno T20 51* 54* 60* TT x-100
Callaway PM Grind 64*
SC Studio Design no. 2
Pro V1

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, J13 said:

The Max seems fairly neutral to me and doesn't seem to want to go right or left.  As others have said the sound is like the Cobra L4V.  Loud and in need of hotmelt asap.  Haven't hit the LST yet but i'm hearing great things.

J you’ll love the LST comparatively, 4g is going to be the magic number for your hot melt wizardry, but the sound is still light years better than the Max 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, getair23 said:

I took the 425  LST for a spin yesterday on trackman with the Rogue white 70-X.  I have gone to 60g driver shafts recently so not a great comparison. 

 

My biggest takeaway was that it's a Ping driver, looks acts and preformed pretty similar to the their last few iterations.  G400 Max with a low spin shaft was special, and will remain (excluding sound) difficult to improve on.  I almost wish they would go back to the 18 mo./2 year cycle for woods.  Or bring back the I series and go every other year G then I.   

They are on a 2 year cycle. G410 came out in Jan 2019. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, slalomdude said:

They are on a 2 year cycle. G410 came out in Jan 2019. 

Thank you! Trying to forget most of 2020. G400 Max in 2018 might have thrown me off. 

Titleist TSi3 9.25*  HZRDUS Smoke Green 6.5tx 
Titleist TSi3 5W 18* Tensei AV Raw White- x
Srixon Z 745 (4-pw) KBS tour-x
Mizuno T20 51* 54* 60* TT x-100
Callaway PM Grind 64*
SC Studio Design no. 2
Pro V1

Link to post
Share on other sites

Had one of my buddies in my normal foursome who is a major TM fan get fit for all new clubs over the weekend.  He ended up getting fit for a G425 MAX 10.5* with a Fujikura Motore X F3 and he can't wait to get it.  With how much he is talking it up; I'm very tempted to order one sight unseen.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ Triple Diamond 9* Tensei AV Raw Orange 65TX
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15* Tensei AV Raw Blue 75TX
PXG 0317X Gen 2 19* Graphite Design Tour IZ 95X
PXG 0311T Gen 3 Project X 6.0HS
Titleist Vokey SM8 50*F, 55*S, 60*M Project X 6.0
Bettinardi BB0 Flow DASS

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m coming from a g410 lst 9* and was thinking about buying blind a g425 max from Carl’s (sounds like a great deal for a ventus upgrade, I have a 6x black and was going to get a blue 6x to test)

 

If I get a max and change the back weight and add some hotmelt to get the head weight up and cg where I want, would it still have the higher MOI compared to the g425lst? Debating on the 9 or 10.5

 

Side note, considering ordering the 3w blind, hopefully it’s better than the 410/410 lst head. Those didn’t work for me, both are just sitting in my closet, lol 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, jetsetter808 said:

I’m coming from a g410 lst 9* and was thinking about buying blind a g425 max from Carl’s (sounds like a great deal for a ventus upgrade, I have a 6x black and was going to get a blue 6x to test)

 

If I get a max and change the back weight and add some hotmelt to get the head weight up and cg where I want, would it still have the higher MOI compared to the g425lst? Debating on the 9 or 10.5

 

Side note, considering ordering the 3w blind, hopefully it’s better than the 410/410 lst head. Those didn’t work for me, both are just sitting in my closet, lol 

 

 

I’m kind of in the same boat. Thinking of ordering blind. Not sure how much hotmelt it will take and how much the sound can actually be improved upon with it. 

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9* HZRDUS Smoke Green "The Hulk" 60 6.5TX
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15* Evenflow Black 75 6.5
Callaway X-Forged UT 21* w/Motore Speeder TS 8.8 X
Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW KBS 130X
Taylormade Spider X Navy/White 35"
Callaway MD3 52, 56, 60
All sitting comfortably in my Sun Mountain Sync Cart Bag

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ALIF said:

Guys, don’t order anything blind. Hit them first. You may be unpleasantly surprised. Hopefully that won’t be the case but I’m just sayin.

True, but at least I get a ventus at half price. Haha. I do regret my 3w/3w lst purchases. I probably hit it only a few sessions and couldn’t get the results I was looking for

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jetsetter808 said:

True, but at least I get a ventus at half price. Haha. I do regret my 3w/3w lst purchases. I probably hit it only a few sessions and couldn’t get the results I was looking for

Haha, that’s my same thought process. The shaft upcharges are crazy low.  Unfortunately I’m not in an area that has any custom fitting options. So, part of the fun is buying new stuff to try out. I did hit the G425 Max briefly and it does feel super stable. 

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9* HZRDUS Smoke Green "The Hulk" 60 6.5TX
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15* Evenflow Black 75 6.5
Callaway X-Forged UT 21* w/Motore Speeder TS 8.8 X
Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW KBS 130X
Taylormade Spider X Navy/White 35"
Callaway MD3 52, 56, 60
All sitting comfortably in my Sun Mountain Sync Cart Bag

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, radiman said:

Haha, that’s my same thought process. The shaft upcharges are crazy low.  Unfortunately I’m not in an area that has any custom fitting options. So, part of the fun is buying new stuff to try out. I did hit the G425 Max briefly and it does feel super stable. 

That was my thought process as well.  I already ordered and received a lighter back weight for 425 Max.  Ordered from Carl's the 9* Ventus Blue 6x 45.25".  I have a Rogue 130 Silver 70tx that'll play 45" and a Small Batch yellow 60tx that I'll cut to 45.5".

 

I had a 400 Max that for the most part I loved, but it could creep up in spin just a bit.  If I can find a combo to get similar performance at 3-400 rpm's less, that'll be perfect.

Edited by dmbrill719

Bag 1                                                                                          Bag 2

Ping G410+ 9* Rogue Silver 70TX                                           Taylor Made Original One 13.5* Aldila ATX 75X

Cobra Speedzone Tour 5 16* Rogue Silver 80TX                   Tour Edge Exotics CBX 20* Aldila Rip Alpha 105X

Titleist TS3 20* Rogue Black 95TX                                          Ben Hogan Ft Worth Hi 26* Recoil 110X

Titleist T-MB 4, 5 Recoil 110X                                                   Ben Hogan Ft Worth 32*, 38*, 44*, 50* Recoil 125X

Honma TR20V 6-11 Steelfiber 125X                                         Ben Hogan TK-15 58* Recoil Wedge Proto 125X

Bettinardi HLX 3.0 56* Steelfiber 125X                                    Ping Vault Anser 2

Fourteen RM-22 60* Black Onyx S400

Taylor Made Spider FCG L-Neck

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just placed my order from Carl’s. 9* Max, Rogue White -1/2”, and 2 grams of hot melt. I almost went 4grams but I may go back to a longer shaft and I don’t mind lead tape if need be but D1 should be fine. Just hope the 2g’s is enough to help the sound. Carl’s was super easy to work with fwiw. And now we wait...

565 
F6 baffler
MP54
T7/S18/eye2XG Lob
Classic #3

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, kess13 said:

Just placed my order from Carl’s. 9* Max, Rogue White -1/2”, and 2 grams of hot melt. I almost went 4grams but I may go back to a longer shaft and I don’t mind lead tape if need be but D1 should be fine. Just hope the 2g’s is enough to help the sound. Carl’s was super easy to work with fwiw. And now we wait...


You know they add the hot melt and the physical weight after hot melt to get to the swingweight?

I would highly suggest 4g minimum 

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly feel that Ping for the first time in a long time took a step backwards with this one. Was not impressed.. 

  • Like 1

Driver: Titleist TSi3 Ventus blue 7X

3 wood: Titleist Tsi3 16.5 Haz RDX black 70 X flex

& Wood: Titleist TSi2 Ventus Red 9X
Taylormade Gapr low 2 ventus blue 9x
4-PW Cobra king forged CB KBS $ Taper 130 X flex
Wedges 50, 54, 60 Cleveland ZIPCORE
PUTTER; Kronos release long neck
BALL; Bridgestone BX, OR Taylomade TP5x PIX

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, QuigleyDU said:

Honestly feel that Ping for the first time in a long time took a step backwards with this one. Was not impressed.. 

 

I think this heavy head really was with the G410+ and its just a carry on. I had the G400 Max, it did not feel heavy and I totally luved the G LS when I played it all season. I just can't get any speed out of the G425 Max. The LS was fine. And it was not me, as I jumped on the TSi2 demo club and my speed was up and more. I waited this long and the Max is just a no-go unless I go full counter balance and my Ventus Velos (black and blue) are not. Yes, not impressed

  • Like 1

Cobra Pars & Stripes Speedzone, Fujikura Ventus Blue 6-S Velocore, Club Conex Uni-Fit
Honma 737 13* 3 wood, Vizard A 50S shaft

Taylormade M4 HL 16.5* 3 wood with UST Elements Chrome 7F4
Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid

Cobra Speedzone irons 4 - PW Recoil ESX F4 shafts
Cleveland CBX2 48* wedge & Cleveland FullFace 56* wedge with Catalyst 100 shafts
Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with BGT Stability shaft
#1 Snell MTB-X / Black, #2 Srixon XV 5/6

Graves One Plane swing

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, SwingBlues said:

 

I think this heavy head really was with the G410+ and its just a carry on. I had the G400 Max, it did not feel heavy and I totally luved the G LS when I played it all season. I just can't get any speed out of the G425 Max. The LS was fine. And it was not me, as I jumped on the TSi2 demo club and my speed was up and more. I waited this long and the Max is just a no-go unless I go full counter balance and my Ventus Velos (black and blue) are not. Yes, not impressed

Confused by all the reviews and concerns 

Had very high hopes for the Max, but the LST really won't work for me since I need spin 

Maybe I just stick with the 410+.....

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, dmbrill719 said:

That was my thought process as well.  I already ordered and received a lighter back weight for 425 Max.  Ordered from Carl's the 9* Ventus Blue 6x 45.25".  I have a Rogue 130 Silver 70tx that'll play 45" and a Small Batch yellow 60tx that I'll cut to 45.5".

 

I had a 400 Max that for the most part I loved, but it could creep up in spin just a bit.  If I can find a combo to get similar performance at 3-400 rpm's less, that'll be perfect.

This is the exact setup I was thinking of ordering. Where did you ask for the hotmelt to be placed?

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Morry said:

Confused by all the reviews and concerns 

Had very high hopes for the Max, but the LST really won't work for me since I need spin 

Maybe I just stick with the 410+.....

 

 

Exactly.  Couldn't wait to get my hands on the G425 Max, but after everything that I have read here, and some of the reviews I  have watched, I  think I  will save the money, and stick with my G400 Max. That'll free up a little money to experiment with some different shafts. Now, if I could only find a high flight, low spin, good feeling shaft. Probably non-existent, so I will save money on that too.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, muniman said:

Exactly.  Couldn't wait to get my hands on the G425 Max, but after everything that I have read here, and some of the reviews I  have watched, I  think I  will save the money, and stick with my G400 Max. That'll free up a little money to experiment with some different shafts. Now, if I could only find a high flight, low spin, good feeling shaft. Probably non-existent, so I will save money on that too.

I hadn't played the G400Max.  But, from what I have seen the new Max and LST are pretty similar in spin?  Was the 400 Max close to the 400LST in spin too?  I guess I have seen nothing but glowing reviews on the stability of the head.  

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9* HZRDUS Smoke Green "The Hulk" 60 6.5TX
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15* Evenflow Black 75 6.5
Callaway X-Forged UT 21* w/Motore Speeder TS 8.8 X
Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW KBS 130X
Taylormade Spider X Navy/White 35"
Callaway MD3 52, 56, 60
All sitting comfortably in my Sun Mountain Sync Cart Bag

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, radiman said:

I hadn't played the G400Max.  But, from what I have seen the new Max and LST are pretty similar in spin?  Was the 400 Max close to the 400LST in spin too?  I guess I have seen nothing but glowing reviews on the stability of the head.  

The stability is good. The head looks good. I just find it loud, not great feeling, and much slower than everything else so far. 

Driver: Titleist TSi3 Ventus blue 7X

3 wood: Titleist Tsi3 16.5 Haz RDX black 70 X flex

& Wood: Titleist TSi2 Ventus Red 9X
Taylormade Gapr low 2 ventus blue 9x
4-PW Cobra king forged CB KBS $ Taper 130 X flex
Wedges 50, 54, 60 Cleveland ZIPCORE
PUTTER; Kronos release long neck
BALL; Bridgestone BX, OR Taylomade TP5x PIX

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, QuigleyDU said:

The stability is good. The head looks good. I just find it loud, not great feeling, and much slower than everything else so far. 

Haha, there is no doubting that it's loud.  

  • Like 1

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9* HZRDUS Smoke Green "The Hulk" 60 6.5TX
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15* Evenflow Black 75 6.5
Callaway X-Forged UT 21* w/Motore Speeder TS 8.8 X
Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW KBS 130X
Taylormade Spider X Navy/White 35"
Callaway MD3 52, 56, 60
All sitting comfortably in my Sun Mountain Sync Cart Bag

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/17/2021 at 10:31 AM, J13 said:

The Max seems fairly neutral to me and doesn't seem to want to go right or left.  As others have said the sound is like the Cobra L4V.  Loud and in need of hotmelt asap.  Haven't hit the LST yet but i'm hearing great things.

Man, I must have gotten a quiet one.  Because mine sounds nothing like the L4V.  It’s no louder than the G410.  But it does have a different tone to it.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hit them this weekend, and here’s my subjective rankings, heads were all set to as close to 10* as possible and Rogue White used for 3/5 heads and then RDX Black for the TSI3 and 2.0 SIM:

 

Performance
TSi3
Max LS
2.0 Standard
425 LST

425Max

 

Feel
Max LS
TSI3 
425 LST

2.0 Standard

425Max

 

Sound
Max LS
TSI3
2.0 Standard
425 LST

425Max

 

Spin

Max LS
2.0 Standard
425 LST

425Max
TSI3

 

Will end up in a TSI3 to start the season and/or possible Max LS.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   3 members

  • Our picks

    • 2021 WGC Workday Championship @ The Concession Photos- Links & Discussion (UpDaTeD)
      Please post any questions or comments here.
       
      Links...
       
      2021 WGC Workday Championship - Tuesday #1
      2021 WGC Workday Championship - Tuesday #2
      2021 WGC Workday Championship - Tuesday #3
      2021 WGC Workday Championship - Tuesday #4
      2021 WGC Workday Championship - Tuesday #5
      2021 WGC Workday Championship - Tuesday #6
      Cameron Smith's Cameron 11.5 putter - 2021 WGC Workday Championship
      Cameron putter 2021 WGC Workday Championship
      2021 Ping putters - 2021 WGC Workday Championship
      Rory wearing new Nike Tour Victory II shoes - 2021 WGC Workday Championship
      Odyssey putters - 2021 WGC Workday Championship
       
      • 62 replies
    • 2021 AT&T Pebble Beach - discussion
      2021 AT&T Pebble Beach - Tuesday #1
      2021 AT&T Pebble Beach - Tuesday #2
       
      2021 AT&T Pebble Beach - Tuesday #3
       
      2021 AT&T Pebble Beach - Tuesday #4
       
      2021 AT&T Pebble Beach - Tuesday #5
       
      2021 AT&T Pebble Beach - Tuesday #6
       
      2021 AT&T Pebble Beach - Tuesday #7
       
      2021 AT&T Pebble Beach - Tuesday #8
       
      2021 AT&T Pebble Beach - Tuesday #9

      Ryan Moore with Axis 1 putter @ 2021 AT&T PB
       
       
       
      Please post any questions and comments here
        • Like
      • 59 replies
    • 2021 Waste Management Phoenix Open - Discussion
      General galleries
      2021 Waste Management Phoenix Open - Tuesday #1
      2021 Waste Management Phoenix Open - Tuesday #2
      2021 Waste Management Phoenix Open - Tuesday #3
      2021 Waste Management Phoenix Open - Tuesday #4
      Monday Qualifier for Waste Management Open 
      Special galleries
       
      Ping PLD putters - 2021 WMPO Scott Brown with MMT graphite shafts in his ProTo Concept irons - 2021 WMPO TaylorMade putter cover from 2021 Waste Management Phoenix Open New Srixon golf balls - 2021 WMPO Bettinardi putters & cover - 2021 Waste Management Phoenix Open Cameron putters -2021 Waste Management Phoenix Open Piretti putters -2021 Waste Management Phoenix Open Cameron mallets - 2021 WMPO Odyssey 2-ball Ten - 2021 WMPO  
      Please put any questions or comments here
       
      Jason Day's Bag...
        • Like
      • 21 replies
    • 2021 FARMERS WITB & Equipment Photos- Links and comments
      We are back on the ground at the 2021 Farmers PGA Tour event. Please add you comments in this thread. Here are links to all the galleries:
       
      Special galleries:
      2021 Farmers - Tuesday #1
      2021 Farmers - Tuesday #2
      2021 Farmers - Tuesday #3
      2021 Farmers - Tuesday #4
      2021 Farmers - Tuesday #5
       
      2021 Farmers - Tuesday #6
       
      2021 Farmers - Tuesday #7
       
      Cameron putters - Farmers 2021
       
      Odyssey 2-ball Ten - Farmers 2021
       
      Project X Even Flow RipTide MX & LX proto shafts - Framers 2021
       
      TaylorMade putter cover for Torrey Pines - Farmers 2021
       
      Sling Shot training aid - Farmers 2021
       
       
      • 47 replies
    • 2021 American Express WITB & Equipment Photos- Links and comments
      We are back on the ground at the American Express PGA event.
       
      Here are links to all the galleries:
       
      Cameron putters - 2021 American Express
      PXG Gen 4 prototype drivers - new putters
      UST Maymiya LinQ shafts - American Express 2021
      Mitsubishi Kaili & MMT shafts - American Express 2021
      Titleist TSi 2 & TSi 3 hybrids - American Express 2021
      TaylorMade putter cover for Palm Springs/Palm Desert - American Express
      New Aldila Synergy, Ascent & prototype shafts - American Express 2021
      Callaway Apex Pro iron, Epic Driver and fairway, Apex iron & hybrid - American Express 2021
      New Perfect Practice training aids - American Express 2021
      New KBS prototype shafts - American Express 2021
       
      • 18 replies

×
×
  • Create New...