2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Ping G425 closer than we think? (In hand Pics Pg. 16)

martinvan09

2 minutes ago, radiman said:

Haha, there is no doubting that it's loud.  

Its like old school cobra load.. 

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

Just now, QuigleyDU said:

Its like old school cobra load.. 

Yeah, I hit it the other week.  It's a weird sound.  

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5* w/Kai'Li 70TX
Ping G430 Max 15* w/OG Ventus Blue 7X
Titleist TSR2 7w w/Ventus Red TR 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Bettinardi BB1 w/UST Mamiya All-In Graphite 
Mizuno Copper T22 52, 56, 60 w/MCA MMT 125TX Wedge Shafts
TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

I’m not going to call anyone out, but I get the distinct feeling that a few of guys commenting on the sound haven’t actually hit it.  

I spent two hours hitting it on Sunday & I think it sounded solid.  Loud in volume, low in frequency.  Reminded me of a hot melted 400 in frequency, but louder in volume.  I actually went into the fitting room just assuming I’d hot melt it....but left the fitting actually thinking I was going to keep the sound as-is.  

Also, to me the driver face was noticeably taller in LST version & that’s a HUGE plus for me.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, kess13 said:

Just placed my order from Carl’s. 9* Max, Rogue White -1/2”, and 2 grams of hot melt. I almost went 4grams but I may go back to a longer shaft and I don’t mind lead tape if need be but D1 should be fine. Just hope the 2g’s is enough to help the sound. Carl’s was super easy to work with fwiw. And now we wait...

I'm was a little worried about the heavy head as well, so when I placed my order, I got 4g hot melt, requested a length of 45.5" and D3 total swing weight. I'm hoping Ping comes through with the correct details. The extra length should mean my head will be lighter than standard and hopefully that makes it easier to switch shafts

• Like 2

Titleist TSR2 - TPT Nitro 16lo
Taylormade SIM Ti 3w - Tensei 1k Black 85tx
Taylormade SIM Ti 5w - Fujikura Ventus Black 9x

Cobra Tec Hybrid 2 - Kai'li 90tx

Cobra Tec Hybrid 4 - Aldila Tour Black 105tx
Srixon ZX5/ZX& Mkii 5-PW - Project X 6.5

Callaway Jaws Raw 50s, 54s, 58z - BGT ZNE 130

Putter - LAB something or another

On 1/17/2021 at 2:02 PM, J-Zone said:

J you’ll love the LST comparatively, 4g is going to be the magic number for your hot melt wizardry, but the sound is still light years better than the Max 

haha.  The Max was very very straight but i'm axious to hit the LST and also the Cally Max LS and hopefully the Speed Triple Diamond.  Of course they all have to beat my 410LST.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

I have spent some time with the entire G425 lineup. The sound and feel are very solid. I disagree with all the comments on the sound being an issue. Mind you I only hit the products outdoors with premium golfballs. The three models of drivers performed very much as advertised. Max very straight, SFT moving left and for me as I am already low spin the LST was very flat flighted and moved a bit right at the finish. For those that like a smaller footprint the LST looked very compact.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, osubuckeyes691 said:

I'm was a little worried about the heavy head as well, so when I placed my order, I got 4g hot melt, requested a length of 45.5" and D3 total swing weight. I'm hoping Ping comes through with the correct details. The extra length should mean my head will be lighter than standard and hopefully that makes it easier to switch shafts

45.5 length and extra 4g head weight might be tough to get D3, let us know if they make it happen! 

1 minute ago, endy said:

45.5 length and extra 4g head weight might be tough to get D3, let us know if they make it happen! 

My hope is they can reduce the back weight enough to get close...we'll see! 

I'll keep the group updated!

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 - TPT Nitro 16lo
Taylormade SIM Ti 3w - Tensei 1k Black 85tx
Taylormade SIM Ti 5w - Fujikura Ventus Black 9x

Cobra Tec Hybrid 2 - Kai'li 90tx

Cobra Tec Hybrid 4 - Aldila Tour Black 105tx
Srixon ZX5/ZX& Mkii 5-PW - Project X 6.5

Callaway Jaws Raw 50s, 54s, 58z - BGT ZNE 130

Putter - LAB something or another

1 hour ago, jetsetter808 said:

This is the exact setup I was thinking of ordering. Where did you ask for the hotmelt to be placed?

Didn't ask for any hot melt...this hot melt thing seems a bit overblown IMO, plus that's easy to do after the fact anyway.  I'm guessing I'll need the lighter weight for my Rogue shaft (and maybe the Ventus) since I needed a lighter weight for the 400 Max to have that combo play at D5.

Bag 1                                                                                          Bag 2

Ping G425 Max 9* Ventus Black 7X                                         Taylor Made 300 Mini 13.5* Rogue Silver 70TX

Taylor Made 300 Mini 13.5* Rogue Silver 70TX                      Tour Edge Exotics CBX 20* Aldila Rip Alpha 105X

Titleist TSi3 16.5* Rogue Silver 80TX                                      Ben Hogan Ft Worth Hi 26* Recoil 110X

Titleist TS3 21* Rogue Black 95TX                                          Ben Hogan Ft Worth 32*, 38*, 44*, 50* Recoil 125X

Titleist T200 5 MCI Black 100X                                                Ben Hogan TK-15 58* Recoil Wedge Proto 125X

Titleist T100S 6-AW MCI Black 100X                                       Ping Vault Anser 2

Bettinardi HLX 3.0 56* MCI Mild 125                                        

Fourteen RM-22 60* Black Onyx S400

Cameron Special Select Squareback 2

I was told by DD's that Ping doesn't do hot melt on orders anymore? Can anyone confirm that they still do?

Titleist TSR3 9 Tensei 1K 70
Titleist TSR3 3w HZRDUS Blue 

Cobra LTDX max 5w HZRDUS Blue 

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 Tour AD DI
Mizuno Pro 245 5-GW PX IO
Titleist SM9 52f, 58v PX LZ

Scotty MOTO Fastback 1.5 

4 minutes ago, tigercolt77 said:

I was told by DD's that Ping doesn't do hot melt on orders anymore? Can anyone confirm that they still do?

I'd be surprised if they stopped but if so just let me know and i'll be happy to help ya.  I have a full shop with tour van hotmelt setup and have already done several 425's which btw sound much better with melt, especially the max.  It's also nice that weights are already available. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

1 hour ago, Frid_the_kid said:

I’m not going to call anyone out, but I get the distinct feeling that a few of guys commenting on the sound haven’t actually hit it.  

I spent two hours hitting it on Sunday & I think it sounded solid.  Loud in volume, low in frequency.  Reminded me of a hot melted 400 in frequency, but louder in volume.  I actually went into the fitting room just assuming I’d hot melt it....but left the fitting actually thinking I was going to keep the sound as-is.  

Also, to me the driver face was noticeably taller in LST version & that’s a HUGE plus for me.  

Not sure who you are not calling out.. But, I for sure have hit it... Even posted about it in another thread. 

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

2 hours ago, mjmurphy said:

Has anyone hit the fairways yet? Worth the upgrade from the 410? 

I did a full fit with the G425 range today including the fairway. The 425 Max Fairway was amazing, initially tested with Rogue white and just didn't like the feel, couldn't find the head, really disappointed. Swapped in the Tensei Orange 75 and the feel was better, ball speed jumped from 154 to 166(a few mph above my expectations and 7mph over what I remember seeing from the G410) and spin was still just over 3k. Didn't even hit the LST fairway, the Max was perfect.

On the driver I was testing G425 Max against my TSi3. I like a heavy head, play D6 sw in my driver, so the weight was no issue. Again the Tensei Orange was the better shaft fit. The sound of the driver is a bit obnoxious imo, but on solid hits ball speed was identical to the TSi3. Off center the Max predictably retained much more speed. The Max spins 300-400 rpm more and the misses were smaller. Feedback was still good, I could reliably tell where my misses were.

At the end of it I ordered a G425 Max 9* driver, Max 3W, and for the first time in a long time will be bagging a hybrid with the G425 19*.

Edited by Sef
  • Like 4

Callaway Mavrik 9* - Rogue 125 70TX
Callaway Mavrik SZ 15* - Riptide 70 6.5
Cobra King 3 Utility - Kuro Kage 100X

Wilson FG Tour V6 - X100
Glide 3.0 46, 51, 56, 60 - X100
Scotty Cameron Newport 3

3 hours ago, J13 said:

I'd be surprised if they stopped but if so just let me know and i'll be happy to help ya.  I have a full shop with tour van hotmelt setup and have already done several 425's which btw sound much better with melt, especially the max.  It's also nice that weights are already available. 

Thank you, I will be in touch once I get that bad boy in!

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 9 Tensei 1K 70
Titleist TSR3 3w HZRDUS Blue 

Cobra LTDX max 5w HZRDUS Blue 

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 Tour AD DI
Mizuno Pro 245 5-GW PX IO
Titleist SM9 52f, 58v PX LZ

Scotty MOTO Fastback 1.5 

5 hours ago, J-Zone said:

Hit them this weekend, and here’s my subjective rankings, heads were all set to as close to 10* as possible and Rogue White used for 3/5 heads and then RDX Black for the TSI3 and 2.0 SIM:

Performance
TSi3
Max LS
2.0 Standard
425 LST

425Max

Feel
Max LS
TSI3 
425 LST

2.0 Standard

425Max

Sound
Max LS
TSI3
2.0 Standard
425 LST

425Max

Spin

Max LS
2.0 Standard
425 LST

425Max
TSI3

Will end up in a TSI3 to start the season and/or possible Max LS.

Love to see the LS love. I’ve never ever been a Callaway driver guy, but I’d be lying if I said the LS doesn’t have my attention. 

• Like 2

TaylorMade Stealth 7.25º | Fujikura Ventus Black 6X
TaylorMade SIM2 13.5º | Diamana Thump 75X
Cobra F6 Baffler 17.5º | Diamana Thump 85X
Titleist T100s | Dynamic Gold X7
TaylorMade MG3 50º, 55º, 60º Hi Toe  | Dynamic Gold X7
PXG One & Done | Armlock

I hear a lot about dialing in the swing weight. If you're getting a fitting, make sure you bring some some varied weights. Especially if you're going to go into your existing shaft. The shelf counterbalancing just wasn't working for me. I learned with trial and error that there's a wide variation and tuning process that can happen if the standard 26g doesn't work. I had to go down to 20g with my preferred shaft. Picked up ball speed with great dispersion, and I'm not fighting the head anymore. Great driver: Ping G425 Max 10.5, Motore F3 7 Stiff, 20g Weight in Fade Position.   

Edited by ctonylee65
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, ctonylee65 said:

I hear a lot about dialing in the swing weight. If you're getting a fitting, make sure you bring some some varied weights. Especially if you're going to go into your existing shaft. The shelf counterbalancing just wasn't working for me. I learned with trial and error that there's a wide variation and tuning process that can happen if the standard 26g doesn't work. I had to go down to 20g with my preferred shaft. Picked up ball speed with great dispersion, and I'm not fighting the head anymore. Great driver: Ping G425 Max 10.5, Motore F3 7 Stiff, 20g Weight in Fade Position.   

That's the lesson right there. So many will deprive themselves of a great driver by not going deep enough. Stock off the shelf the head is pretty heavy and a lot of people aren't going to be suited to this counter balanced shaft (and plenty will simply not like a CB shaft) or not. My off the shelf Max with Rogue 130msi had the 23 gram weight. It was actually playable but now i am mucking around with other shafts i quickly nabbed a 17g (can easily ramp up a few grams with tape) and it's absolutely in my sweetspot. Another thing is the arccos adds a bit of fake length to the club and the butt end is quite flexible which is annoying to some. I regripped straight away and lost a little length but can't remember how much offhand. Maybe 1/4".  

• Like 1

G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Ping G425 19* hybrid Accra TZ6
Tour Edge XCG 24* hybrid Altus
Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
Ping Stealth 2.0 50*SS, S159 54/58*SS
TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

12 minutes ago, GolfTurkey said:

My concern with decreasing the rear weight to get the club head moving is that wouldn't that be decreasing the MOI / stability / forgiveness and altering the DNA of the Ping so that it is basically a clone of everything else?

Ping do decrease it themselves on custom builds. 

G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Ping G425 19* hybrid Accra TZ6
Tour Edge XCG 24* hybrid Altus
Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
Ping Stealth 2.0 50*SS, S159 54/58*SS
TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

I’ve now got 2 rounds in and a range session with mine. Both rounds were in the mid 40s with the wind howling and I don’t normally play in a lot of wind.

Been playing a G400 max since it came out with the exact same setup in the new 425 max

Launch is a touch lower. Not a lot. Spin is definitely little lower. I like the sound better than the 400. Solid strikes have a very different feel than the 400. Ball feels like it is coming off the face a little hitter.  Bad swings still Produce really decent results. 

my initial reaction is that it is a better feeling, lower spin, more adjustable g400 Max

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Rogue st Max 10.5 Tour AD VR 6

Titleist TSi2 16.5 VA Composite Slay 

Sim Ti 19.75 Oban Kiyoshi Purple 75

PXG Gen 2 22 Hybrid Kiyoshi Purple

Cobra King Tour 5-p TT Elevate Tour
Ping S159 56W and 60B KBS Tour 120
Bettinardi BB-28SB

Potentially, but slightly higher MOI doesn't help me if the club doesn't feel comfortable when I'm swinging it. I was really sensitive to the heavier weight and just couldn't a find a good rhythm. I did have the concern as well regarding Ping's intent, and tried everything from 11g to 30g and settled on 20g. Each player's swing is going to be different, but this set up has allowed me to hit sweet spot more consistently than I have in a long time. That has given me confidence to really go after it and boy what a difference that has made in my game.

8 hours ago, J-Zone said:

Hit them this weekend, and here’s my subjective rankings, heads were all set to as close to 10* as possible and Rogue White used for 3/5 heads and then RDX Black for the TSI3 and 2.0 SIM:

Performance
TSi3
Max LS
2.0 Standard
425 LST

425Max

Feel
Max LS
TSI3 
425 LST

2.0 Standard

425Max

Sound
Max LS
TSI3
2.0 Standard
425 LST

425Max

Spin

Max LS
2.0 Standard
425 LST

425Max
TSI3

Will end up in a TSI3 to start the season and/or possible Max LS.

Is your ranking on spin from high (Max LS) to low (TSI3)? 

5 hours ago, ctonylee65 said:

By changing the weights did it change your driver swing weight from what you would normally play?

3 hours ago, J-Zone said:

Other way around and only to me. (Based on Trackman indoor)

J Zone didn't the TSI3 spin the most due to loft and shaft used though ?? 

Titleist TSR3 9 Ventus Black TR 6X 
Titleist TSR3 15 Tensei Av Raw Orange 75TX 

Callaway UW 19 Tensei AV Raw Blue 85TX
4 - AW Titleist T100s Project X 6.5 

Cleveland RTX Zip Raw, 54, FullFace 58 Project X 6.5 wedge

L.A.B Golf Mezz1 35/71 Garsen Quad Tour
Titleist Pro V1 2023