Ping G425 closer than we think? (In hand Pics Pg. 16)

martinvan09

2 hours ago, JourdanM said:

Got the G425max in the sim yesterday and, to me, the sound is a non issue. I actually quite like it. The feel off of the face is intoxicating. The lateral forgiveness is truly awesome. Had some really nice numbers aside from dynamic loft - was between 18-20°. Pro thought may be due to the Alta 55 stiff shaft being a little tip soft for me. 

ordered up a nemesys 65 after some intense research. What shafts are you guys having success with in this head? 

I feel like once I have shaft and weight position dialed in, this thing is going to be an absolute animal and will really help my game. 

I’m going to experiment more with my Ventus Black and Tensei Pro White, not sure yet what I’ll ultimately go with.

Ping G430 LST 9* (Ventus TR Red 6X)

Ping G430 Max 3W (Ventus Blue 7X)

TM Qi10 5W (KBS TD70X)

TM P770 4-5i (KBS Tour X)

TM P7MC 6-8i (KBS Tour X)

TM P7MB 9i-PW (KBS Tour X)

TM MG4 Copper 50/55/60 (KBS $-Taper 120 Black)

Spider Tour X Single Bend (BGT Stability)

1 hour ago, JourdanM said:

Well crap, I never would have thought to try the LST as I don’t generate a ton a spin. Hopefully shaft change does the trick with the max for me. 

You can get it where you want it with the right shaft.  I had the Max launching and spinning right with a Ventus Black, but I just didn't like the feel as much.

The LST opened up a lot more shaft options for me, so that's what I went with.  But there's no reason you can't make the Max work, it's got a lot of hype for how forgiving and long it is, but it's a versatile head to fit for too.  That's according to my fitter, who says that since he's had the demo heads he's putting people into Ping at a rate of like 2:1 versus all the other brands combined.

That's one guy's experience, but I thought it was pretty telling.

• Like 1

Hey guys I was hoping you could help me with my situation. I have been demoing the g425 Max 3 wood at my clubs golf dome and I absolutely love how forgiving it is. Unfortunately, I’m hitting the 14.5° about 135 feet in the air with between 5000 and 6000 spin( the fitter let me hit it on the trackman for about a half hour, I can’t remember exact numbers) That was with the rogue white 80x, angle of attack was around 0. All the x shafts that have is the Rogue and raw orange. They also didn’t have the LST head and they don’t know when they will get it. I know the LST is probably the better choice, but I love how forgiving the Max is. I’d give up some distance for the forgiveness so I’d want to put a lower spinning shaft in the Max head. Just wondering what shafts you all have had success with, and if anyone was in the same situation as I am. Thanks!

WITB TBD for ‘24

32 minutes ago, Eagleman said:

Hey guys I was hoping you could help me with my situation. I have been demoing the g425 Max 3 wood at my clubs golf dome and I absolutely love how forgiving it is. Unfortunately, I’m hitting the 14.5° about 135 feet in the air with between 5000 and 6000 spin( the fitter let me hit it on the trackman for about a half hour, I can’t remember exact numbers) That was with the rogue white 80x, angle of attack was around 0. All the x shafts that have is the Rogue and raw orange. They also didn’t have the LST head and they don’t know when they will get it. I know the LST is probably the better choice, but I love how forgiving the Max is. I’d give up some distance for the forgiveness so I’d want to put a lower spinning shaft in the Max head. Just wondering what shafts you all have had success with, and if anyone was in the same situation as I am. Thanks!

No shaft is going to cut 2000 spin my man. There’s something going on in your swing that’s causing the jump. Here’s the 425Max initial numbers with a draw and fade from my testing with a Ventus Blue 7x tipped 1”

DD501E9B-9890-4B01-B1B9-BE9DD6338BE2.jpeg

54B9951C-2656-4A0D-A5B8-E12B9D54A72F.jpeg

Edited by Brooks Cupcake

7 minutes ago, Brooks Cupcake said:

No shaft is going to cut 2000 spin my man. There’s something going on in your swing that’s causing the jump. Here’s the initial numbers with a draw and fade from my testing with a Ventus Blue 7x tipped 1”

DD501E9B-9890-4B01-B1B9-BE9DD6338BE2.jpeg

54B9951C-2656-4A0D-A5B8-E12B9D54A72F.jpeg

I appreciate the numbers! I’m not looking to cut 2000 all together, just lower it a bit. I do play a fade so I’m sure that doesn’t help with the spin. I’m sure the LST would most likely be a better option for me, but I’ve never hit a 3 wood as consistent as the 425 Max. I’m definitely going to wait to try out the 425 LST to see if it’s close in forgiveness. 

edit: I put 5000-6000 because I couldn’t remember the average spin number for the shots hit. I want to say it was closer to 5k. Sorry about the misinterpretation. I’m horrible at explaining, just ask my fiancé haha

Edited by Eagleman

WITB TBD for ‘24

22 minutes ago, Titleist84 said:

If all of the reviews are true then the other OEM's better start paying attention. It's not going to take very long for people to notice their buddies hitting more fairways with the 425 Max.  

I hope we see a most forgiving driver war over the next few years.

Ping 425Max driver engineers can only hope for people taking forgiveness over the crap feel and sound. I just wonder why they can’t take the feel and sound of their hybrids and have it go through the entire bag.

at least the Max Fairway is great with hot melt.

5 hours ago, Eagleman said:

Check out my posts. I got fitted for the 3 woods outdoors, no monitor just my pro's eyes and had an issue with the Max launching like my lob wedge. Still carried long but it was not in my preferred window. The LST in the -1 Flat setting was perfect. Lower launch but still high but spin is very very good for a 3 wood. The ball would get down range and just continue to carry. I was worried about the forgiveness on the LST because the 410 was punishing when I tried it. They fixed that in spades with the 425. Not quite as forgiving as the Max but moreso that my Ti Sim I was testing against. Hit some bombs with it in the 1st round in play too. 

Edited by awtryau89
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, bjno1300 said:

Would love to hear from anyone who has paired the max driver with a ventus red. I imagine dialing it down to about 8 degrees combined with the red would be special 

im about to do that! just placed an order for a ventus red. been playing a ventus black at 8 degrees. will report back!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Driver Taylormade Qi10

3W Ping G430 LST 5W Callaway Apex UW 

4i Mizuno Fli Hi 5-PW Ping Blueprint S

GW 50 Ping Glide 4.0 SW 56 Vokey S LW 62 Vokey M

Putters Kevin Burns 9306 Ball Titleist Pro V1

1 hour ago, xandersingh said:

im about to do that! just placed an order for a ventus red. been playing a ventus black at 8 degrees. will report back!

Have you found any noticeable distance loss with the Max vs whatever you were coming from? I just keep hearing people say they’re sacrificing distance for forgiveness, but I refuse to believe that the Max with the same launch conditions as anything else is going to be slower off the face. So, I’m curious to hear your thoughts on the 8* Max Ventus combo. 

1 hour ago, jadedennill said:

Have you found any noticeable distance loss with the Max vs whatever you were coming from? I just keep hearing people say they’re sacrificing distance for forgiveness, but I refuse to believe that the Max with the same launch conditions as anything else is going to be slower off the face. So, I’m curious to hear your thoughts on the 8* Max Ventus combo. 

Unfortunately with snow on the ground, I haven't been able to take the G425 Max onto the course.  I'm coming from a Sim Max.  But I have hit a lot inside with a simulator, and played a few sim rounds with it.  At least on the sim, I am hitting the G425 Max further and getting much better dispersion.  The holy grail.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bjno1300 said:

How did the max perform with the ventus black in 8 degree?

Im really liking the max with ventus black. launching at around 13 degrees. noticeable loss in carry distance but the roll out is insane. especially on miss hits im not losing any distance. thats the biggest thing for me, my misses are in play and further up than my previous driver. interested to see what happens with the ventus red!

Driver Taylormade Qi10

22 minutes ago, xandersingh said:

Im really liking the max with ventus black. launching at around 13 degrees. noticeable loss in carry distance but the roll out is insane. especially on miss hits im not losing any distance. thats the biggest thing for me, my misses are in play and further up than my previous driver. interested to see what happens with the ventus red!

Loss of carry distance because it wasn’t spinning enough with the black? 

16 minutes ago, jadedennill said:

Loss of carry distance because it wasn’t spinning enough with the black? 

No, I think because it's launching drastically lower that i've seen in any other driver setup i've had previously. Spin is around 2100 for me

Driver Taylormade Qi10

1 hour ago, xandersingh said:

No, I think because it's launching drastically lower that i've seen in any other driver setup i've had previously. Spin is around 2100 for me

Is the ventus high enough balance point or did you play with weight on the head ?

WITB:

TSR2 10* @D1 Tour AD UB 6s

G430 5W @ flat neutral Tour AD UB 7s

'24 APEX UW 21* AD IZ 8S

'23 T200 Utility AD IZ 95S

'23 King Tour 5-G Modus 105S

RTX 6 Zipcore Tour Rack 54 Low+ and 58 Low

Custom PLD Anser 2D Carbon Steel / Stability Tour

Chrome Soft X

36 minutes ago, JourdanM said:

Is the ventus high enough balance point or did you play with weight on the head ?

im playing it at 44.75 and the g425 max head is heavy as is so i just plugged to shaft straight in

• Like 1

Driver Taylormade Qi10

6 hours ago, Socrates said:

I was really thinking about Jordan Spieth, after he lost another tee ball to the right, that he sure could use a G425 SFT.

Remarkable recoveries from him though

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5° @9.5°

Cobra Radspeed Big Tour @ 15.5°

Mizuno ST-Z 230 19°@20°

PING i230 4-U, +1/2", green dot
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54° Full Sole

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 60° Mid Sole

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

I received my Ping G425 Max yesterday FedEx....  I can't believe they delivered on a Sunday but I'm happy .  I got the Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 70 and I had

my fitter call and switch to a Tour Velvet 360 after reading the Arccos grip is 1/2" long and the shaft would be cut to accommodate the extra length.  I play Tour Velvet 

ribbed grips on all my clubs so I intended to re-grip and don't want a playing length of 44.75" 🙄

I read in this thread that a few felt the G425 Max looked a bit closed at address but I see that in standard setting it's square but noticeably more upright than my G400 Max. I 

switched to the Flat setting and it looks perfect to my eye now.  I can't wait to hit it and get it on the course but snow and ice and 25 degrees is in my way .   

• Like 2

Titleist TSi3  ,Ventus Blue 6S  Velocore

Ping G425 14.5  Fairway ,Tensei  AV Orange 75

Ping G425 17.5 Fairway  ,Tensei  CK Orange 75

Ping Anser 23 degree Hybrid

OnOff 2015 Kuro Irons ,Nippon Modus Tour 120

Scratch 50 ,54,58 Wedges  ,Nippon WV 115 Wedge Shafts

Scotty Cameron Champions Choice Newport  2+ 

Titleist Pro V1x

On 2/13/2021 at 6:24 PM, awtryau89 said:

Check out my posts. I got fitted for the 3 woods outdoors, no monitor just my pro's eyes and had an issue with the Max launching like my lob wedge. Still carried long but it was not in my preferred window. The LST in the -1 Flat setting was perfect. Lower launch but still high but spin is very very good for a 3 wood. The ball would get down range and just continue to carry. I was worried about the forgiveness on the LST because the 410 was punishing when I tried it. They fixed that in spades with the 425. Not quite as forgiving as the Max but moreso that my Ti Sim I was testing against. Hit some bombs with it in the 1st round in play too. 

I am very interested in the LST 3w. I have been playing the F9 Tour since it came out, love it, but sure seems small some days, especially off the tee. Everyone seems to be making large fairway heads now, don’t care much for 170+ cc

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T100s 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

6 minutes ago, muniman said:

Instead of starting a new thread, I would be interested in knowing if the G425 Max is worth upgrading over the G400 Max from people who played the G400 Max for a period of time.

From my limited Sim session, I would say 100% yes. The feel is superior , dispersion feels like it might be even better, and it was longer for me without my ideal shaft and setting being dialed in. 

WITB:

TSR2 10* @D1 Tour AD UB 6s

G430 5W @ flat neutral Tour AD UB 7s

'24 APEX UW 21* AD IZ 8S

'23 T200 Utility AD IZ 95S

'23 King Tour 5-G Modus 105S

RTX 6 Zipcore Tour Rack 54 Low+ and 58 Low

Custom PLD Anser 2D Carbon Steel / Stability Tour

Chrome Soft X

3 hours ago, Warrick said:

I am very interested in the LST 3w. I have been playing the F9 Tour since it came out, love it, but sure seems small some days, especially off the tee. Everyone seems to be making large fairway heads now, don’t care much for 170+ cc

The LST is 165cc but plays more forgiving than my Sim Ti at +180cc.