Ping G425 closer than we think? (In hand Pics Pg. 16)

martinvan09

So I think the weight in the draw position experiment MIGHT be over. I play a fade and my first 9 holes with the G425 Max were perfect with the weight in the neutral spot. My shots did lean more right on a couple of holes, but the results were still great. 

I decided to try moving the weight to the draw position and had similar results in the back 9...but did hit a few draws (ok...pulls)...but none of them hurt me. 

I thought that I recalled reading somewhere that the MOI on the G425 was actually its highest with the weight in the draw position...but my memory could be wrong. With that, I have left the weight in the draw position for the last 4-5 rounds. 

Results have been great....but that occasional pull left eventually made me put the weight back to neutral last time. Maybe it's in my head....but I felt like the face is hotter with the weight in the neutral spot, and I actually think that MOI is better there as well. 

The G425 Max is without a doubt the best driver I've ever hit. You might have to fiddle with it a bit...and I encourage you to do just that....but when you find that sweet spot, you'll be a happy camper! 

RIDE 

Well the 425 has not quite panned out the way I liked it to.  So far the LST fairway is the best club.  I really dont like what they did with the shape of the new LST driver [it's like reverse pear shape!] and the shape of the hybrid transition from face to the crown is way too rounded.  I dont love that the fairways are shallower but not a deal breaker although I am going to try the mizuno fairways which are deeper.   For whatever reason my driver was way over weight.  Just couldn't make it work.  Too many strikes for me.  Hybrids sound great, feel great, perform great.  Just dont like the bull nose so may go 410 there but jury is still out....overall just a little disappointed with the ping offering for 425.  I've never felt that way before with a ping release!

PING G410 9 Flat(HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5/Ventus Black 7x)
PING G410 14.5 (HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5)
PING G425 LST 14.5 (Speeder Tour Spec 7.2x)

PING G410 17.5 (HZRDUS T1100 85g 6.5)

NIKE Vapor Fly 20* Iron (Modus105x HS)

PING i500 20* iron (DG105x100)

P7TW 3-PW (DGX7)

52 milled grind (DGX7)  / Vokey TVD K 58 (DGX7)
TM Spider Armlock/SIK Armlock

Tested the Ping G425 LST and Max in an outdoor fitting. Tried a variety of lofts, setting, weights. Stock shafts only.

It was disappointing. The sound was terrible for both and I really disliked the off-center feel. I found the Max to be every bit as low spin as the LST. Definitely noticed more fade with the LST. Both drivers felt heavy with their std weights, so tried a lighter adjustable weight and that felt better.

Rogue White 130 MSI 70 (S) was my favorite of the stock shafts, although I think I would prefer lighter if I had to choose.

To be honest, I noticed maybe a 3-yard gain max between my current driver and the LST when both were crushed, but my current driver was far more consistent.

On to the TSi3 next...

1 hour ago, Strategery said:

Tested the Ping G425 LST and Max in an outdoor fitting. Tried a variety of lofts, setting, weights. Stock shafts only.

It was disappointing. The sound was terrible for both and I really disliked the off-center feel. I found the Max to be every bit as low spin as the LST. Definitely noticed more fade with the LST. Both drivers felt heavy with their std weights, so tried a lighter adjustable weight and that felt better.

Rogue White 130 MSI 70 (S) was my favorite of the stock shafts, although I think I would prefer lighter if I had to choose.

To be honest, I noticed maybe a 3-yard gain max between my current driver and the LST when both were crushed, but my current driver was far more consistent.

On to the TSi3 next...

I agree with your findings. I just couldn’t get comfortable with either of the 425’s because of the weight. I was hitting the TSi3 at the same time and getting much better results.

I'm really considering the 425 driver.... I demoed a bunch of 3w the other day, all kinds of shafts and went with the Alta CB 65x in the Max 3w.  I was hitting the LST 3w pretty well but could tell when I missed it so I tried the Max and I am glad I did.  The clubs DO feel heavy so instead of the 80g Rogue or 70g Raw Orange I decided to give the Alta a shot.  I think it being counter balanced and lighter gives the club a perfect feel for me.  I was absolutely crushing that 3w on my first round out with it.  It's got me thinking about the driver with the Alta as well, I tend to do much better with CB shafts anyway.  My 410 LST is good too, but have not quite found a shaft I really love.  

Titleist TSr2 10*  GD UB 6s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

Started the first couple weeks with my 9* lst with some Graphite Design thing I was fitted for which was just awful, but knew the head was still very good. Luckily, had an original tensei orange tx that was collecting dust for a couple years and it’s absolute magic, like an unbelievably good combo. There really may be something to using a counterbalanced shaft in these 425 heads

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, chrisgilly09 said:

Started the first couple weeks with my 9* lst with some Graphite Design thing I was fitted for which was just awful, but knew the head was still very good. Luckily, had an original tensei orange tx that was collecting dust for a couple years and it’s absolute magic, like an unbelievably good combo. There really may be something to using a counterbalanced shaft in these 425 heads

Makes me want to try one over my Ping tour shaft.  Seems like several Ping staff guys on tour like you are using them. What do you like about the combo?

$$$$

The head weight wasn’t noted in my order and I haven’t checked on the website what the static weight is supposed to be, but even previously with that lighter shaft it would kick super early and shut down on me

Think this combo being counterbalanced: makes it feel lighter, and is a hair weaker in the tip as well, which allows me to release it at the right time, and because of that and the head being not spinny, just launches high and knuckles. Guessing 13ish and 2200 or so, and balls like to end up on target which is a new experience for me ha, it just likes to come off hot and go straight. I got lucky to stumble upon it really, but distance is where it should be and fairways and confidence went up immensely so far 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, chrisgilly09 said:

Good timing here. I pulled a Pro Orange 70tx out of the closet I forgot I had and may try it in a 425 head. It’s a little on the shorter side and thinking it may pair nicely with the heavier weight of the 425.

Edited by t4t3r

Took delivery (ordered 3/2 - arrived 4/6) of the G425 Max (10.5) with Alta CB stiff (cut to 45"). Swing weighted perfectly by Ping with 29 Gram Tungsten weight installed. (BTW, Head weight was 204g with 29 gram back weight). Immediately removed and customized the Ventus Velocore Blue (5S) raw shaft that I had a Ping G425 adapter installed. Cut to 45", 26 gram weight installed with Tour Wrap was a perfect D2. Hit the range this morning and just wow. Straight and long, but the shaft was incredible. Not stout, but could hold it's own and the feedback was probably the best I've experienced (softer handle?) The T1100, Alta CB, and Hzrdus Black weren't even contenders (I'm not a CB fan). Not even worth paying the money to Trackman the other shafts. I'm all set.

And with respect to sound, zero issues. In fact, it never crossed my mind (and no one around me appeared annoyed).

Edited by Tdsjfb
  • Thanks 1

Driver: Ping G430 Max (10.5) - Ventus (Velocore) Blue 5S
3 Wood: Ping G425 Max (14.5 Degree) - Ventus (Velocore) Red 5S
5 Wood: Ping G425 Max (17.5 Degree) - CB Alta 65S
9 Wood: Ping G430 Max (23 Degree) - CB Alta Black 65S 

5 Hybrid: Ping G425 (26 Degree) - CB Alta 70S

Titleist T150 8-PW KBS $ Taper (115)  

Titleist T200 6/7 KBS $ Taper (115)

Vokey (49/53) Degree) SM8 F Grind - KBS Tour (120)
Vokey (58 Degree) SM7 S Grind - KBS Tour (120)
Putter: Scotty  - Special Select Newport 2.5

Did an outdoor fitting today with Ping rep and monitor.  I have been playing an Epic Max with TENSEI Blue raw stiff shaft.  I am 62 years old and driver SS was down to 99.8 average a few months ago.  I have been spraying my driver for the last year and a half.  My home course is only 6800 from the tips and 6500 from the tees we usually play but has a slope of 132 due to the narrow, 100 year old tree lined fairways.  I can't survive 2 sides without living in the trees.

So, I went into this fitting looking for control.  

The rep was super nice as I went through 5 or 6 shafts with no more consistency than my Epic.  My back has been giving me fits and my SS was down to 96-97 with carry barely over 210-215.  I quit looking at the shafts he was trying as he felt I had too many preconceptions.  About the 7th shaft, I had a ball teed up and completely avoided looking at the shaft. 

I immediately knew it was shorter but that was all.  The trajectory was in the lower window I wanted and I kept hitting very close to my aim point.  

The results were about 3 yards shorter carry and swing speed down about 1mph but definitely more controlled in a big way.  The shaft was a 55gm Alta stiff 1 and 1/4 inch shorter than standard.  I had $450 in credit for last weeks tournament so I ordered one.  We will see.

• Like 1

Driver- Titleist TsR2 with Graphite Design Tour AD

4w - Titleist Tsi2 with Tensei Raw Blue shaft

19 Hy - Titleist 818 H1 with Atmos Tour Spec

23 Hy - Titleist 818 with Graphite Design Tour AD-DI shaft

5i-PW - Bridgestone J15 CB with Recoil F4 110 shafts

50,54,and 58 Wilson Staff wedges with SF shafts

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD

I got to hit a friend's new 425 Max last night. 12* head, Alta CB stiff. 

Coming from several consecutive Callaway drivers, I was not prepared to like the look of the Max as much as I did. Something about the matte finish and fins makes the Max head look normal sized to my eye. I think it's smart that there's no detailing to define the trailing edge of the head as seen at address. 

The club feels super solid at impact. I'd say I noticed the sound but didn't mind it. I wasn't having a great night with the driver in general and noticed that the Ping helped me more than my current Epic Speed wanted to. 

Nice piece of kit. Might own one in the future. Right now I'm still licking my wounds from spending $850 for brakes on my kid's car. 

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

Put the G425 sft driver, 3 wood, 3 hybrid and 5-pw in play outside for my first “real” round yesterday. Low expectations and some experimentation.

1) the driver sounded pretty nice outside. Even my partner, who is familiar with the “sound” issue looked at me after the first drive and told me it was rather pleasant. He plays a G400 max and occasionally a Titleist 917. 
2) 3 wood and hybrid are winners. I had a few long for me shots (220 and 190) into a decent wind and both went straight and long. Very pleasing flight (Taylormade tour response).

3) irons are a touch “clicky” but not distracting. Have the normal lofts, which are a little less jacked than some other irons I’ve played. Distance was spot on for me, higher flight and just a sight fade, which I prefer. 

so far, good purchase. 

• Like 1

On 1/17/2021 at 9:31 AM, J13 said:

The Max seems fairly neutral to me and doesn't seem to want to go right or left.  As others have said the sound is like the Cobra L4V.  Loud and in need of hotmelt asap.  Haven't hit the LST yet but i'm hearing great things.

Is there a way to hotmelt the "max" head to encourage lower spin and BS? I know you know way more than me, lol.. I had best BS with Epic Speed and TSI3, and the Speed seemed more forgiving of the two to me, BUT I really want to play a PING head. I have had a hard time turning over the 410LST and concerned that might be the case with 425LST as well? I am looking for "MAX" forgiveness but do not want to give up more than 7 yards on a "pured" one, if that makes sense? I had good results with PW 65 tx but have played the Velecore Blue 6x fow two years. I am also looking at the "TB".... Ok back to original question, any tricks to hotmelt the 425 MAX? Thanks as always...

PING G430 10K Max 9 degree (digitally lofted) DI VF 6X tipped .5". 44.5" D5 

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

4 THRU PW King Tour KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 48 "F" KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

SCOTTY CAMERON T11 BGT POLAR SHAFT SAND BLASTED TO MATCH HEAD... FLATSO 1.0

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

It's interesting that so many people hate the sound.  I don't mind the sound at all, particularly outdoors on the course.  More importantly, it's just been such a great club for me.  I am about 10 yards longer and more importantly I've been able to eliminate the left side (which is my miss) by flattening the lie angle.  I'm coming from a Sim Max that I did like a lot last year, but the G425 Max knocked it out easily.

Also do agree with all the comments on the G425 Fairways and Hybrids.  I have the 5 wood and 4 hybrid, and they've become my go to clubs.  No longer laying up on par 5s as I don't feel like these will get me into trouble.  

On 3/28/2021 at 11:05 PM, RIDEamountain said:

So I think the weight in the draw position experiment MIGHT be over. I play a fade and my first 9 holes with the G425 Max were perfect with the weight in the neutral spot. My shots did lean more right on a couple of holes, but the results were still great. 

I decided to try moving the weight to the draw position and had similar results in the back 9...but did hit a few draws (ok...pulls)...but none of them hurt me. 

I thought that I recalled reading somewhere that the MOI on the G425 was actually its highest with the weight in the draw position...but my memory could be wrong. With that, I have left the weight in the draw position for the last 4-5 rounds. 

Results have been great....but that occasional pull left eventually made me put the weight back to neutral last time. Maybe it's in my head....but I felt like the face is hotter with the weight in the neutral spot, and I actually think that MOI is better there as well. 

The G425 Max is without a doubt the best driver I've ever hit. You might have to fiddle with it a bit...and I encourage you to do just that....but when you find that sweet spot, you'll be a happy camper! 

RIDE 

I hope you assessed yourself the appropriate stroke penalties 

Ping G425 LST  10.5* -  Ping Tour 65x
TaylorMade R15 3W - Speeder Evolution S
Ping G425 2 Hybrid 17* - Ping Tour 85x
Mizuno 921F 4-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite X
Cleveland RTX 60
TaylorMade Spider - Counterweight 

On 4/13/2021 at 8:58 AM, Elee913 said:

It's interesting that so many people hate the sound.  I don't mind the sound at all, particularly outdoors on the course.  More importantly, it's just been such a great club for me.  I am about 10 yards longer and more importantly I've been able to eliminate the left side (which is my miss) by flattening the lie angle.  I'm coming from a Sim Max that I did like a lot last year, but the G425 Max knocked it out easily.

Also do agree with all the comments on the G425 Fairways and Hybrids.  I have the 5 wood and 4 hybrid, and they've become my go to clubs.  No longer laying up on par 5s as I don't feel like these will get me into trouble.  

Totally agree on the sound. I've played about 10 rounds so far with my 425 SFT and absolutely love it.  Had I not read these message boards I probably never would have thought about the sound of the driver at all. It's a little louder than other drivers...but barely noticeable. The performance gains I've seen over my M3 are huge...been hitting way more fairways and getting good distance. I need a 200-250 club so I really want to start testing the G425 3 wood and 5 wood next....

So I finally got a few range sessions with my g425max. I requested for a digital loft 9.5. Weight the head and it was exactly the same as my g410lst, 198.5g without the adapter. I ordered with a ventus blue and I have a black 6x. I have to say I feel a little underwhelmed with the driver. Setting I found was draw weight, 1* flat, 1* loft up. Something about the driver I can’t put into words, maybe the ventus doesn’t work well for me and this pairing. I did prefer the black in the g425. I don’t know if it’s the shaft or the sound but I didn’t feel like it meshed together. I think the ventus blue in the g410 felt and performed way better. Waiting to try and go on a trackman soon to validate. One thing about the g425max I could tell was on off center hits it is very stable. The g410 is pretty forgiving but I can feel the the g425max head doesn’t twist at all. Looking for a tensi white 1k to try. Also finally got my 3w in yesterday. Wow, this 3w is wayyyy better than the g410/g410lst heads. I still have both those heads and I couldn’t get it dialed, but the g425max 3w is definitely for me.

2 hours ago, jetsetter808 said:

So I finally got a few range sessions with my g425max. I requested for a digital loft 9.5. Weight the head and it was exactly the same as my g410lst, 198.5g without the adapter. I ordered with a ventus blue and I have a black 6x. I have to say I feel a little underwhelmed with the driver. Setting I found was draw weight, 1* flat, 1* loft up. Something about the driver I can’t put into words, maybe the ventus doesn’t work well for me and this pairing. I did prefer the black in the g425. I don’t know if it’s the shaft or the sound but I didn’t feel like it meshed together. I think the ventus blue in the g410 felt and performed way better. Waiting to try and go on a trackman soon to validate. One thing about the g425max I could tell was on off center hits it is very stable. The g410 is pretty forgiving but I can feel the the g425max head doesn’t twist at all. Looking for a tensi white 1k to try. Also finally got my 3w in yesterday. Wow, this 3w is wayyyy better than the g410/g410lst heads. I still have both those heads and I couldn’t get it dialed, but the g425max 3w is definitely for me.

Is there a difference between a 9.5 and digital 9.5? First I’m hearing of something like that. 

Ping G425 LST  10.5* -  Ping Tour 65x
TaylorMade R15 3W - Speeder Evolution S
Ping G425 2 Hybrid 17* - Ping Tour 85x
Mizuno 921F 4-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite X
Cleveland RTX 60
TaylorMade Spider - Counterweight