Ping G425 closer than we think? (In hand Pics Pg. 16)

martinvan09

• 2 weeks later...

Loving my 425 LST.  Indoor fitting and got a 9 degree.  I had to loft up on the course the full 1.5 degrees.  At least it looks square lofted up, unlike other drivers I've had that get closed.   108 swing speed and I fitted into a Tour R.  Feels a bit odd holding it since it's whippy when I lean on it.   But man, the ball goes dead straight and stays in the air a lot longer than my old G400 LST with a stiff shaft.  Gonna have to mentally get over not using an S shaft for the first time in 35 years.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, doublehans said:

Quick technical question on loft sleeve for g425. if you deloft 1.5degree, how much does it change face angle?

Would like to try a 10.5 but wanna know how it work out if I end up having put it back down to 9.

My recollection with the G410 (same adapter) is each degree of loft is a 1.8 degree face angle change. 

• Thanks 1

I’ve just blind bought a G425 #4 Hybrid with the stiff Rogue Shaft....the SIM2 couldn’t kick my TM 09 Rescue TP #3 out of the bag but hopefully this will.

Ping G410 LST 9' Tour 65 Stiff
Callaway Epic Flash SZ #3 HZRDUS Smoke 6.0
Taylormade P790 #3 C-Taper 120 Stiff
Taylormade P770 4-5 C-Taper 120 Stiff
Taylormade P750 6-PW C-Taper 120 Stiff
Nike Engage 52' Square
Nike Engage 56' Square
Nike Engage 58' Dual Sole
Nike Engage 60' Toe Sweep
Taylormade Spider X Copper
Ping Anser Nickel
Ping DLX Cart / 4 Series White Tour Carry Bag

Had first real rounds with the G425 Max 5-wood over past few days with Ventus blue 7S.

It has been unreal so far. Love it at setup, and ball flight is really strong. Forgiveness seems very high, and it’s been a great club off the tee and fairway for me. 

Didn’t really think about changing driver or Hybrid this season (Mavrik SZ and Sim Max) but the results of the 5-wood have got me thinking…

#4 hybrid arrived yesterday so I promptly got the range for some testing ...initial thoughts are that i LOVE the head shape and feel but I’m a bit confused as to the shafts!!

Ping’s site states that the Rogue Black is a Low launching shaft but it certainly isn’t....looking on Aldila’s site it states it’s a mid/high launching shaft and hitting it you can see this!

I’m tempted to try the Tour 85 instead but has anyone any experience of this shaft....is it lower launching than the Rogue Black??

I know I should try them out but demo shaft options in the hybrids are pretty much non-existent around me....all most places have is the Alta shaft!!

Nike Engage 52' Square
Nike Engage 56' Square
Ping Anser Nickel

21 minutes ago, nickosbad said:

#4 hybrid arrived yesterday so I promptly got the range for some testing ...initial thoughts are that i LOVE the head shape and feel but I’m a bit confused as to the shafts!!

Ping’s site states that the Rogue Black is a Low launching shaft but it certainly isn’t....looking on Aldila’s site it states it’s a mid/high launching shaft and hitting it you can see this!

I’m tempted to try the Tour 85 instead but has anyone any experience of this shaft....is it lower launching than the Rogue Black??

I know I should try them out but demo shaft options in the hybrids are pretty much non-existent around me....all most places have is the Alta shaft!!

You might have too much speed for the Tour. I would guess that the Tour and Black would launch similarly, the black probably lower due to weight. If you like the C Tapers and the Hzrdus Smoke, I'd look into the Smoke hybrid for the Ping

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, nickosbad said:

You could also be delivering the club in such a way that it makes it launch much higher

Edited by Hollywoodtlb
Words

2008  Burner: Soon to be G425 LST 10.5 w/ Ping Tour 65 X-stiff

G425 2 hybrid - Ping tour 85x

Mizuno 921 forged w/kbs c taper lite x-stiff (4-GW)

random wedges

TM Spyder

Another range session and a round with my #4 Hybrid and I still wasn’t feeling it....wasn’t giving me the numbers I wanted.

Anyway....I found a store with a #3 G425 Hybrid with the Tour 85 Shaft and decided to give it a go.....considering I wanted it to hit a specific number....220 yards carry (so I can grip down and take 10 off if I need to)....tonight’s first test looks very promising!!

The feel and flight from the shaft is so much better than the Rogue and it was so much easier to keep it straight...time to sell the #4

C0EEE922-5DAF-4A9A-A14E-0C52A0D277AD.jpeg

Nike Engage 52' Square
Nike Engage 56' Square
Ping Anser Nickel

I currently play a 10.5 G400 max and just received my 9.0 425 max. I was deciding between the 425 and TSi2 but went with 425 for more forgiveness. Trackman numbers warranted a change but hitting both at the range, I'm a little disappointed. I feel like I hit both very similar and the 400 sounds much better. I'm gonna play my first round with the 425 tomorrow but if theres no improvement I might try to trade it for a TSi2.

Considering ordering a new Ping G425 Max 5 or 7 wood but have a quick query on the Tensei AV Raw Orange shaft here.

Over here (and on line) in the UK Ping list the AV Raw Orange as the “75” but it’s only 68g in stiff flex and 71g in X Stiff......whereas on the MCA website those weight ratings are pretty much the “65” (69g stiff and 70g x stiff) and the “75” are shown as 77g stiff and 78g for x stiff on there...

Appreciate any insight/help on this, thanks.

Taylormade 300 Mini Driver 13.5 degree/PX Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 70 6.0
Taylormade Sim2 Max 15 degree 3 wood/PX Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 70 6.0 
Ping G425 Max 20.5 degree 7 wood/Tensei AV Raw Orange 75 stiff
Ping G425 22 degree 4 Hybrid/Tensei CK Pro Orange Boron 80 stiff
Ping i210 5-PW irons/True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 120 Stiff (NEW 2021 P790 ORDERED!)

Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 50 degree SS Grind/Nippon Modus Tour 3 105 Stiff

Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54 degree SS Grind/Nippon Modus Tour 3 105 Stiff
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 58 degree SS Grind/Nippon Modus Tour 3 105 Stiff

Evnroll ER5B Hatchback Black 34” putter with Gravity 1.0 grip
Taylormade TP5 (2019)/Titleist Pro V1 ball (2020)

3 hours ago, Gareth said:

Considering ordering a new Ping G425 Max 5 or 7 wood but have a quick query on the Tensei AV Raw Orange shaft here.

Over here (and on line) in the UK Ping list the AV Raw Orange as the “75” but it’s only 68g in stiff flex and 71g in X Stiff......whereas on the MCA website those weight ratings are pretty much the “65” (69g stiff and 70g x stiff) and the “75” are shown as 77g stiff and 78g for x stiff on there...

Appreciate any insight/help on this, thanks.

Think I read ping weight is the cut to length weight, not the weight of the 46" shaft. 

Ping G410 lst diamana bf
Ping g410lst 3 wood accra tz6
Epic flash 5 wood tensei blue
ping g410 tensei hybrid
Epon 705 5-gw Oban ct115
Callaway MD5 54/58
taylormade my spider 
ping hoofer
tp5x

Long time Ping driver guy and I mad the switch from the 410 Plus and LST to the 425 MAX. I hd 7 grams rat glue put in neutral position kept same stock back weight and cut driver to 44.75" EOG. I have a 65 TX TB not tipped and I am playing with the hosel settings now as well as weight adjustments. I had the VB 6X in my last two drivers... So this driver def launches lower than the 410's for me. It still seems difficult to turn it over (for me) as was the others. I have a 114 swing speed +4 AOA in out -3 to -4... Ok so my question is......  What settings are you guys finding that work best for you in terms of "hosel" setting and "weight" setting? I found that if I go to -1 and bring weight to "heel" it feels super heavy to me... BTW I play my drivers at D5 and I am starting to wonder if that might be an issue for not being able to turn it over? THanks as always..

8 hours ago, boycer said:

Think I read ping weight is the cut to length weight, not the weight of the 46" shaft. 

Ok, that makes sense......I think.....thank you 

Taylormade 300 Mini Driver 13.5 degree/PX Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 70 6.0
Taylormade Sim2 Max 15 degree 3 wood/PX Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 70 6.0 
Ping G425 Max 20.5 degree 7 wood/Tensei AV Raw Orange 75 stiff
Ping G425 22 degree 4 Hybrid/Tensei CK Pro Orange Boron 80 stiff
Ping i210 5-PW irons/True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 120 Stiff (NEW 2021 P790 ORDERED!)

Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 50 degree SS Grind/Nippon Modus Tour 3 105 Stiff

Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54 degree SS Grind/Nippon Modus Tour 3 105 Stiff
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 58 degree SS Grind/Nippon Modus Tour 3 105 Stiff

Evnroll ER5B Hatchback Black 34” putter with Gravity 1.0 grip
Taylormade TP5 (2019)/Titleist Pro V1 ball (2020)

On 5/11/2021 at 12:38 PM, nickosbad said:

Another range session and a round with my #4 Hybrid and I still wasn’t feeling it....wasn’t giving me the numbers I wanted.

Anyway....I found a store with a #3 G425 Hybrid with the Tour 85 Shaft and decided to give it a go.....considering I wanted it to hit a specific number....220 yards carry (so I can grip down and take 10 off if I need to)....tonight’s first test looks very promising!!

The feel and flight from the shaft is so much better than the Rogue and it was so much easier to keep it straight...time to sell the #4

C0EEE922-5DAF-4A9A-A14E-0C52A0D277AD.jpeg

Did you go with the S or X shaft? I just picked up the same #3 from the used bin with a Tour85 X shaft, I play my driver and fairway woods with the tour S shaft so interested to see how this stacks up 

9 hours ago, Wardonation said:

Long time Ping driver guy and I mad the switch from the 410 Plus and LST to the 425 MAX. I hd 7 grams rat glue put in neutral position kept same stock back weight and cut driver to 44.75" EOG. I have a 65 TX TB not tipped and I am playing with the hosel settings now as well as weight adjustments. I had the VB 6X in my last two drivers... So this driver def launches lower than the 410's for me. It still seems difficult to turn it over (for me) as was the others. I have a 114 swing speed +4 AOA in out -3 to -4... Ok so my question is......  What settings are you guys finding that work best for you in terms of "hosel" setting and "weight" setting? I found that if I go to -1 and bring weight to "heel" it feels super heavy to me... BTW I play my drivers at D5 and I am starting to wonder if that might be an issue for not being able to turn it over? THanks as always..

Interesting that you say you felt the weight change with that setting as that was my experience as well. I don’t have access to a SW scale unfortunately because I’d love to be able to measure that. I thought I was crazy when I felt that. Regardless of feel vs real, I went ahead and ordered a 13gram weight so I could play it in the small - with weight in the heel. The 10.5 LST turned down is the best looking driver I’ve ever had and I have seen huge discrepancies in ball flight and distance from standard setting to this one. With the 13 gram weight, I have found the sweet spot with this driver. 

• Like 1

On 4/11/2021 at 12:10 PM, Ryan5508 said:

Tensei 1k is in! 

I own both a black/blue velocore ventus. This really falls right in between the two feeling and performance wise. I felt the blue was a touch soft and black a touch too firm. First round with it went very well. 

I miss my old kurokage XD and this kind of reminds me of it. 

20210408_085836.jpg

20210408_085854.jpg

How are you liking this compared to the Orange? Are you still playing the orange in the 3 wood?

Ping G30 9* Tour 80X
Ping G Stretch Tour 80X
Ping i500 3 DG 120 X100
Ping i210 4-U DG 120 X100
Glide 2.0 Stealth 54* SS DG S400
Glide 2.0 Stealth 58* ES DG S400
Ping Anser TR 1966 / Odyssey White Hot #2

Been really happy with this head, especially with the Ventus Blue. Hitting bullets, but a tad low. So for experiments sake, I went to small + from Neutral and WTF? The head looked as closed/curved as Bobby Hull's stick from the '70s!

Driver: Ping G425 Max (10.5) - Ventus (Velocore) Blue 5S
3 Wood: Ping G425 Max (14.5 Degree) - Hzrdus Black 5.5*
5 Wood: Ping G425 Max (17.5 Degree) - CB Alta 65S
4 Hybrid: Ping G425 (22 Degree) - CB Alta 70S

5 Hybrid: Ping G425 (26 Degree) - CB Alta 70S
Irons: Mizuno MP -20 (MMC) 6-PW - KBS $ Taper (120)
Vokey (50 Degree) SM7 F Grind - KBS Tour (120)
Vokey (54 Degree) SM7 F Grind - KBS Tour (120)
Vokey (58 Degree) SM7 S Grind - KBS Tour (120)
Putter: Scotty  - Special Select Newport 2.5

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Been following this thread since the first pic's of the G425 were posted. Due to Covid couldn't get down to Palm Springs had to wait until my home course in central Alberta opened on April 13th. Again due to Covid the local golf shop SIM was closed, decided to purchased the G425 Max 10.5* off the rack with no testing and installed a new adapter on my Tensei Pro-O and put my G400 on the shelf. I've got 19 rounds in so far this season.

The 425 Max is a game changer for me, my golf buddies can't believe the improvement in my game as a result of this new driver. I have it set in the draw position and split most fairways. I rarely lose a ball or slice the ball these days unless I swing out of my shoes.  I was an 11 cap in April went down to 9.3 in May and I just entered a couple scores into the system and it says I'm consistent and my h/c dropped down to a 7.6 with my avg score 79, S/S = 103-104 mph.  For an old greyhair in my 60's I can still hit this stick 260-270 yds avg, the other day with a bit of a push wind I hit one 284 yds & another 292 yds measured on my Garmin G80, shot 76 that day. Golf has never been this much fun ..... thank-you Ping!

Edit: I need to remember how to change my H/C in my profile, sucks to get old.

D.   

Edited by ZipinZ
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Ping G425 Max 10.5* Driver - Tensei Pro Orange 60 Stiff
Ping G400 14.5* 3 Wood - Tour Ad Di8-S
Ping G410 4/22* HYB -Tensei Pro Orange 80S Hybrid
Ping G410 3/19* HYB -Tour AD Di-85S Hybrid
Titleist 718 AP2 5-9i - Steelfiber i95S
Titleist SM6 Steelfiber i110S - 46-50-56-60
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Laguna
Ping DLX Cart Bag -  V1 Sport Push Cart
Garmin Approach G80

Question for those who know more than I do: is it entirely stupid to use the F (Flat-neutral) setting in combination with the weight in the draw setting? The weight would encourage a draw obviously.. but wouldn't the F setting open the face the opposite direction and make the weight less effective?

Friend had his driver set up this way and I told him I would ask on his behalf as I'm not 100% sure.

Ping G425 Max 9* Tensei Orange

Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 3W 

Ping G410 2H

Ping G400 3H

Cobra Forged Tec 4-6 iron, ONE length

Ping G400 7-UW

Cleveland CBX 54/58

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5

On 6/6/2021 at 1:20 AM, Celeras said:

Question for those who know more than I do: is it entirely stupid to use the F (Flat-neutral) setting in combination with the weight in the draw setting? The weight would encourage a draw obviously.. but wouldn't the F setting open the face the opposite direction and make the weight less effective?

Friend had his driver set up this way and I told him I would ask on his behalf as I'm not 100% sure.

Not stupid at all if it works. I like the setup more with the head set to flat, seems I hit it more consistently that way. And the slider ideally moves more mass directly behind the ball for a person’s usual miss to help straighten the ball flight. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, COmedic said:

And the slider ideally moves more mass directly behind the ball for a person’s usual miss to help straighten the ball flight. 

That's certainly a way to go, but I feel like the main benefit of the weight is probably to encourage the head to open/close more easily. Like I myself would probably put it in the toe to slow down that section of the head and keep it open a little longer. Not because I'm worried about a toe strike.

Also, MOI is maximized on this driver with the weight in the heel. And since MOI is a measure of a golf club's resistance to twisting at impact with the ball.. it's entirely possible that even toe strikes may benefit more from the weight in that heel position (depending how much it increases, I reckon).

That's a bit of a tangent though since my friend is just curious if his settings contradict each other. I want to tell him yes but I don't know to what degree.

Edited by Celeras

Ping G425 Max 9* Tensei Orange

Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 3W 

Ping G410 2H

Ping G400 3H

Cobra Forged Tec 4-6 iron, ONE length

Ping G400 7-UW

Cleveland CBX 54/58

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5