Keegan Bradley's Taylor-Made Sim Max "D" driver - 2020 WMPO

My suspicion is that TM didn't really expect a lot of interest in the D model and because Bradley needed one quickly they just gave him a retail head.

• Like 1

Callaway Mavrik 10.5° w/ Aldila Rogue White 70 130MSI X
TaylorMade M2 DF 16.5° w/ Mitsu Diamana W 80X
TaylorMade Sim Max Rescue 19° w/ HZRDUS Red 105 6.5
Yonex Ezone CB-301 3-9 w/ Nippon Modus 125X
Cleveland RTX4 Raw 48°,53°,58° w/ DG S400 Tour Issue
TaylorMade Spider Tour Black 34"

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's the future...that and the SIM Max Rescue going into guys' bags....why make the game any harder than it already is ;-)

Correct, that's not a thing anymore. These are the same heads as production.

Funny how once we pointed out that other SIM drivers had the "+" sign on the hosel @TaylorMade Golf seemed to leave the chat.

I think so too, guess they didn't have a measured Max D head on the tour truck so they got him a true retail head.

Keegan finished T49th and driving accuracy he was T16 (67%) so I guess the driver worked.

Taylormade SIM MAX 10,5° HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 6.0 / Taylormade SIM MAX 18° Hzrdus Smoke Yellow 70 6.0 / Ping G410 Crossover 21°Hzrdus Smoke 90 6.0 / Ping iBlade 4-PW Modus3 105S / Cleveland RTX4 52/56° DG TI S400 / Ping Glide Forged 60° DG TI S400 / Scotty Cameron Phantom X 12,5 33,5"Stability Tour Shaft / Titleist ProV1

I appreciate the response, can you confirm that the only QC tests these go through for the Tour Department are to measure spec and ensure conforming COR?

XTD 10.5* Pro Launch Blue 55X
3 Deep Matrix 8M2
Nike VFP 3 Fuji P95X
T-MB 4, 5 CT130X
6-PW VR Pro CB/MB Raw Combo CT130X
National Custom 53/58 CT130X
PM Grind 64 KBS Tour 130X
Studio Design 1.5 Circle T

That’s always been the only difference. Wth?

exceptions being tour only head shapes and faces. Lol. As I’m sure is same now in 3 woods. But could be wrong. Was true as recent as m5. M6. The long hosel m6 3 wood with full face lines isn’t close to the retail head.

• Like 1

TM SIM max 10.8 Fuji Ventus red 6x 
Ping G410 15.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 
Ping Blueprint  3- PW   Modus 130X 
Artisan   53 59 s400
Cameron GSS 1.5 009. Sound slot,  tungsten weights. 

No it isn’t & it is an awesome 3 wood just like the old DF M2 was. 2 totally different heads from retail.

Taylormade SIM MAX 10.5 (Set to 9.75U) Fujikura Speeder Evo IV 661 Stiff Tipped .5"
Taylormade M5 15 set to 14.5 Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 7.3 Stiff Tipped 1"
Bridgestone Tour B 19 Hybrid KBS Proto 85 Stiff
Taylormade M3 3i KBS Tour 105 Stiff
Bridgestone J15CB 5-PW DG AMT S300
Taylormade MG 52 S300, MG2 56/8 KBS HiRev 125, & Hi Toe 60/10 KBS HiRev 115
Scotty Cameron TeI Newport 2 Longneck 34"
Bridgestone Tour B XS

• 2 weeks later...

This guy had me doing tinkering. Was fitting just fine in 9* Sim on EF White 65x.

Dabbled with both lofts (9 & 10.5) set to “LOWER” (-2* head sitting open)

Very 9015D to Cleveland deep face open but some draw bias to help (which those heads had too). Reminded me of some old favs of mine.

Setting the 9* “lower” to “7*” gave me comparable results in data to a regular 9 Sim in standard. Maybe a smidge more spin but still in good ratio with the D but crazy forgiving. Uber forgiving and shapeable both ways.

Confident address with the deep face. Pounds it w ease.

Oddly close to my old R1 setting (10 down to 8, face sitting open with draw weight setup). Shaft then was Kiyoshi White 65x. Now in Sims either EF White 65x or Hzrdus Green 60x.

What surprised me was my ability to work it and same kind of ball speed whether Sim Max D or Sim head. Hit a great high draw, but hit my power cut just fine. If not better due to forgiveness. Dispersion was better than Sim 9 at Standard by a bit.

Clocking open a Sim Max non Dtype did not yield good results. Seemed fade biased too much so. Too spinny for me at Standard 9.

Sim same thing. Standard 9 suits, open face gets too right prone for me even with slider in heel. But the regular sim in standard 9 is good launch and spin for me.

Don’t sleep on Sim Max D. Open it a little and it gets neutral but delivers a great deep face.

I’ll be tinkering w a Sim at 9 Standard and a Sim Max D 9 at Lower moving forward. Both giving good results. My eye may prefer D type. Ive ruled out Sim Max non D at this point.

I like the contrast of the paint and the face — easier to aim — but this paint curling down the face makes the face look very small. Note how Hideki added more black on the top line of his SIM driver with a sharpie! So it is noticeable even to Tour pros. M6 D-Type looked better to me.

A driver look I did like was the Mizuno ST180, the last blue one. Mizuno added a lipstick line of gloss black right on the topline and it looked great and helped setup. I don’t like the Infinity face on the new Cobra drivers at all. There is no contrast between the face and top line. It just seems like they did it for skyball hitters. Glossy black drivers with black faces are not for me.

• Like 1

In what terms?

Max D vs Sim = Max D LOWER setting (Playing at 7*) is right there with Sim 9* for LA and ball speed. Max D spinning a few hundred RPM more.

Really wish I could get the 7* setting without as much of an open face, but it's not super critical. It suits my left to right shot, and I can turn it over when I'd like to. If anything easier to draw than Sim 9* neutral to turn over.

Still going back and forth. Distance is the same. Trying to determine which of the 2 is king of the dispersion. Love the deep face. Has a confident feel to it.

I’d like to hear more about the D. I think I need to admit it... I am a slicer and I need help.

PXG 0811x Gen2 smoke Yellow
TM M4 15* AD DI 6S Black
TM M2 #3 19* Fujikura
PXG 0211 4-PW Modus 120S
TM MG2 50* Modus 120S
TM MG2 54*
TM HT 60*
Scotty Special Select NP2

My Max D will be here Wed. Hoping to get out this weekend with it.

TM M4 15* AD DI 6S Black
TM M2 #3 19* Fujikura
PXG 0211 4-PW Modus 120S
TM MG2 50* Modus 120S
TM MG2 54*
TM HT 60*

I'd love to get a hold of one.

Love the deep face. Wouldn't mind having it play less open than taking the 9 set lower.

Still not sure whether it's Sim 9 or Max D 9 tuned lower for me. Still tinkering. Both perform amazing.

• 2 weeks later...

I went Sim to Sim Max D and much happier. The deep face is awesome. Does to look like a D type head behind the ball. Does not overt draw the ball for me. I am a fader.

TM M4 15* AD DI 6S Black
TM M2 #3 19* Fujikura
PXG 0211 4-PW Modus 120S
TM MG2 50* Modus 120S
TM MG2 54*
TM HT 60*

• 6 months later...

Started with SIM MAX 10.5 standard with an ACCRA TZ6 and it was a nice mid high flight fader 9/10 with the occasional straight ball that just fell to the right (right handed golfer here).  Even turned the loft sleeve to "highest" and still 7-8 out of 10 shots went fade flight. Solid driver, very forgiving and very stable, just can't get it to go bomb straight.

Then I tried the SIM MAX 12.0 turned down to "lowest", and its string/straight bombs for me with the Speeder TR 661S with the occasional ball that falls to the left.  Average 10-15 yards longer for me with this MAX-D type combo.  It will be staying in the bag for a casual round tomorrow morning, to get some round reps behind her and start the marriage off right.  

TM SIM MAX D (set at 10)/ Fujikura Speeder 661TR S/ GP TW WHT

Mizuno CLK 16/ Nippon Modus 130S PL TIP/ GP TW WHT

Mizuno CLK 19/ Nippon Modus 130S PL TIP/ GP TW WHT

Mizuno JPX921 Forged 4-PW/ PXLZ Blackout 5.5/ PURE Wrap WHT

Mizuno T20 Satin Wedge 50/07/ PXLZ Blackout 5.5/ PURE Wrap WHT Mizuno T20 Raw Wedge 56/06/ PXLZ Blackout 5.5/ PURE Wrap WHT

MACHINE 1018 CS M2A RAW center over/ PL shaft/ SS Flatso CC 2.0 BLK

Cel Parts custom ferules on everything with out loft sleeve. Special Thanks to Mark and Center Cut Custom Golf AZ for all of the builds and fitting time!

On 9/11/2020 at 1:53 PM, evoviiiyou said:

Then I tried the SIM MAX 12.0 turned down to "lowest", and its string/straight bombs for me with the Speeder TR 661S with the occasional ball that falls to the left.  Average 10-15 yards longer for me with this MAX-D type combo.  It will be staying in the bag for a casual round tomorrow morning, to get some round reps behind her and start the marriage off right.  

Those 'D' heads must be really naturally closed, since going down to the lowest loft opens the face back up 4°! It does bring the lie angle up from 56 to 58° (these drivers are flat!), so that probably is beneficial. Will be interested to see how it turns out.

I like my Max 95% if the time (especially since I went away from the Ventus), but a tired swing still brings in some occasional fades. I have my 9° head set at 10.25° which supposedly closes the face 3°, but to my eye, that looks perfectly square. Might even try it full up to 11° and see what happens. Definitely hate those fades!

Edited by Hammer22

51228683_mizunoshadow.jpg.331dc94966b1c93058cfa910903c6db8.jpg

2 hours ago, Hammer22 said:

Those 'D' heads must be really naturally closed, since going down to the lowest loft opens the face back up 4°! It does bring the lie angle up from 56 to 58° (these drivers are flat!), so that probably is beneficial. Will be interested to see how it turns out.

I like my Max 95% if the time (especially since I went away from the Ventus), but a tired swing still brings in some occasional fades. I have my 9° head set at 10.25° which supposedly closes the face 3°, but to my eye, that looks perfectly square. Might even try it full up to 11° and see what happens. Definitely hate those fades!

Hey Hammer! How’s it? Yes played yesterday and a pretty type desert course style layout and really impressed with the set up of the MAX D head turned all the way down on the loft sleeve and it’s nothing but mid to higher straight bombs with lots of forward roll (much more roll out with the Speeder TR vs the Accra TZ6). The only odd shot that cuts is off the open toe (looks square on the paint line) but if you focus on the toe part of the actual face, the twist face in this setting is noticeably more open. It’s kind of helpful as it focuses my eye to align with the circle dots and steer clear of the toe. I did catch few slightly toe side left of center and the ball would start straight and then just at the end fall to the right. All very playable and compared to my 10.5Max in standard was seeming easier to hit the sweet spot a lot more consistently with better results. It’s going to stay another week ?

• Like 1

TM SIM MAX D (set at 10)/ Fujikura Speeder 661TR S/ GP TW WHT

Mizuno CLK 16/ Nippon Modus 130S PL TIP/ GP TW WHT

Mizuno CLK 19/ Nippon Modus 130S PL TIP/ GP TW WHT

Mizuno JPX921 Forged 4-PW/ PXLZ Blackout 5.5/ PURE Wrap WHT

Mizuno T20 Satin Wedge 50/07/ PXLZ Blackout 5.5/ PURE Wrap WHT Mizuno T20 Raw Wedge 56/06/ PXLZ Blackout 5.5/ PURE Wrap WHT

MACHINE 1018 CS M2A RAW center over/ PL shaft/ SS Flatso CC 2.0 BLK

Cel Parts custom ferules on everything with out loft sleeve. Special Thanks to Mark and Center Cut Custom Golf AZ for all of the builds and fitting time!

On 9/13/2020 at 2:04 PM, evoviiiyou said:

Hey Hammer! How’s it? Yes played yesterday and a pretty type desert course style layout and really impressed with the set up of the MAX D head turned all the way down on the loft sleeve and it’s nothing but mid to higher straight bombs with lots of forward roll (much more roll out with the Speeder TR vs the Accra TZ6). The only odd shot that cuts is off the open toe (looks square on the paint line) but if you focus on the toe part of the actual face, the twist face in this setting is noticeably more open. It’s kind of helpful as it focuses my eye to align with the circle dots and steer clear of the toe. I did catch few slightly toe side left of center and the ball would start straight and then just at the end fall to the right. All very playable and compared to my 10.5Max in standard was seeming easier to hit the sweet spot a lot more consistently with better results. It’s going to stay another week ?

I seriously thought about trying that experiment too, but ended up getting a deal on a mint SIM 9° head. Figured I'll turn it up to 10.25° like my Max and then fiddle with the sliding weight if need be. Worst case, I then end up selling whatever head I don't need. Or...I'll be checking out the Max-D head one of these days!

• Like 1

51228683_mizunoshadow.jpg.331dc94966b1c93058cfa910903c6db8.jpg

On 1/28/2020 at 6:18 PM, bladehunter said:

Hmm. Well. Then that makes sense as to why my max head came across the pacific without one. Lol. Thanks for the info.

On 1/29/2020 at 8:02 AM, Hedgehog said:

I have been under the impression the "+" just means that it is a CT tested head.. And same as "production" but just tested (verified legality and hotness) for tour use?@TaylorMade Golf

This is correct , + = cor tested 

SIM 8* AD TP 7tx 1.25" 
SIM 15* ADDI 90x tipped 2"
Titleist 2i 19.5* T-MB AD DI 105x (Tipped 2.5”)  Sans 2i R15 5w Fit on Pro 95XX (tipped 2.5”)
Titleist MB 620 3-PW (48* PW) Tour Issue X100s (HSx1) -1* Weak loft -2* flat 620mb specs 
TMAG MG2 52(@53*) SB 10* , 58(@59*) LB 9* bounce  - Tour Issue S400 (62* Lie angle) 
Piretti Potenza Sight Dot 365g |Bettinardi BB8 Trisole bare 348g | or Toulon San Diego Sight Line  - 68* Lie angle 2* of loft 
All woods & 2i hot melted, GP Tour Velvet . 580 Ping Hoofer