Bryson DeChambeau - WITB 2020 WMPO

GolfWRX

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of Cobra. Have the lime green BioCell driver, orange BioCell 3/4 wood, AmpCell Hybrid, and the LTD.

I'm looking for a good reason to upgrade to the F9, especially with prices now at a reasonable levels.

Normally don't take much notice of a pro putting a new driver in play, but this is "The Scientist" we're talking about and when he puts one in play then takes it out of play and then hits the old driver 360 at Dubai, that get's my attention.

Srixon Z785 6-P
PXG 0211 4h & 5h
Mizuno T 56/58/60
Tour Edge C721 10.5 w/Ventus Red R
PXG 0341 Proto 3w
Titleist 909 5w
TaylorMade Daddy Long Legs Spider
Snell MTB-X

Were my eyes deceiving me, or did he just hit a PXG iron (or wedge?) on 16 at WMO? He nuked a ball, said “holy sh*t” to his caddie and handed him back this (Sorry, best I could grab from the TV):

2PJE3R3JPOAH.jpeg

• Like 1

**Driver:** TaylorMade SIM Max 9° **|** Ventus Black 7 Velocore **3wd:** Titleist TS2 15° (C1) **|** Diamana D+ LTD 70 **Hybrid:** Callaway Apex 18° **|** AD-DI 95 **Irons:** Mizuno MP 18 Fli Hi 4 iron **|** AD-DI 95**/** JPX 919 Forged 5-PW **|** Recoil 95 **Wedges:** Vokey SM8 raw 50°F (Handground S), 54°S, 58°M (Handground A) **|** DG Black Onyx **Putters:** Byron Morgan DH 89 WITB: https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1505670/goirish17s-witb-updated-end-of-page-2#latest

It also means that the LTD line of drivers are the shiz... I’ve got a LTD Pro and a LTD Black. They are both tremendous drivers, as you know. Low spin and very forgiving.

Callaway Paradym Triple 💎 10.5* Ventus Blue 6X/TR 6S
Titleist TSR2 16.5* (Set to 15.75*) Tour AD DI 7S
Titleist TSR2 18* Hybrid Tour AD IZ 85S
Titleist u505 4i (21*) Tour AD DI 95S

Srixon Zx7 MK II 5-PW, 51* AW - Modus 105S
Callaway Jaws 56*-Jaws Full Toe 60*-  DG 115 TI S200

Toulon Garage Custom Las Vegas H7 35”

Agree with you. I thought the F9 was a good driver, but I just think the LTD is a great driver. The same way I think the original Epic SZ is better than the Epic Flash line. And as far as drivers on the BST go, I see a ton of Epic Flash drivers as well as other models, it certainly doesn’t mean they are bad drivers, imo...

I personally couldn’t hit this f9 driver well somehow. Tried many setup with shaft etc but couldn’t get it to perform, so went g410lst. But I think I am gonna give a shot to the cobra single length iron see how they work. So I would say yep Cobra must be pretty happy to where they are if we are even talking about their driver. Couple years ago nobody would have even think about putting a cobra driver in their bag.

You can't be serious? I always think Bryson has one of the more interesting bags on Tour! I'd rather see a guy experimenting with different clubs and setups than the 1000th bag of: Driver, 3W, 2H, 4-PW, 52/56/60, Tour Rat putter... yawn. I know you gotta play whatever works, but Bryson's bag is at least unique!

Cobra needs to re-release those KING Forged Tour irons (best irons they've made I think) and they need to release those bonded hosel one-length KING Forged Utility irons.

IMO, when you have a huge star on the PGA Tour who is the only advocate for single-length clubs, you need to have a version of the clubs he actually plays available at retail.

I agree with you about Bryson's bag. It's definitely different, and the fact that he's willing to tinker with his his setup is interesting. I'm a fan of the LTD Pro as well. I had it from the time it was released until November of 2018 when I switched to my M3. I just couldn't launch the LTD Pro high enough at 10* to maximize my distance. The M3 launched higher at 9.5" with spin that was very similar to the LTD Pro.

WITB
Driver: 10.5* Stealth 2 Plus set 1 click lower upright setting- Accra FX 2.0 270 M4 

Fairways & Hybrids: TM Stealth2 Plus 5 wood turned down to 17* (AV Raw White 75s); 21* Callaway UW (Tour AD TP 8s); 
Irons: Srixon MKII ZX5 4 Iron (Recoil Utility 110 F4), 5-PW Srixon ZX7 (DG AMT White s300)
Wedges: Tour Satin Cleveland RTX6 48* Mid bent to 49* and 52* bent to 54*;  RTX Zipcore Tour Rack Raw 56* Mid bent to 58* (All wedges with DGTI s400 shafts)

Putter: Toulon Las Vegas h4.5 or Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can (both with Stability Tour Black shafts)

@tgoodspe1991 I agree with you on the KFT irons. Very underrated and solid with minimal offset. Wish they would re-release with no insert, add a little pre-worn leading edge and shave a little off the top line.

Mizuno   STZ 230 9.5*   Tensei Raw White 65x

Taylormade   Tour Issue Stealth  3 HL Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5

Taylormade   Stealth+ 5w   Diamana OG Kai’Li 70x  

Wilson   Staff CB 7-P / D9 Forged 5-6  Modus 120x

Vokey   Sm8 50, Sm10 54s bent to 55, Sm10 60s all custom ground 

Bettinardi  Custom BB46

Srixon Z Star 💎  OR   Bridgestone Tour B X 

I hate to jump around in here but I followed Nick Taylor around at the Waste Management Open for a little bit and he still has the 2017 M2 in the bag. I just think that Callaway and Taylormade seem to pay more to the big guys to get them to switch so I think that tells me more about Cobra just wanting their guys to play well and find what works, not get the newest stuff out there.

You really think Cobra doesn't want their BEST player in their latest driver? You are nuts. Sure every manufacturer tries to ease the transition to new equipment as much as possible but you can bet the house they eventually want everyone to be using the latest and greatest. Cobra would sell a ton more of their newest driver if Bryson had it in the bag.

I mean duh they want everyone in their driver, but why would they want to tarnish a relationship with their "BEST" player over a driver? I mean look at Bryson's bag - he is trying something new every week (PXG Wedges, Artisan wedges, etc.). At least he still has a Cobra driver in his bag. To me it says that they have been making great drivers for years now, and the Speedzone, which I currently game, is up to par with everything else, he just tends to be more comfortable with his LTD. I was at the WMPO and he was driving the ball well when I followed him and Rickie, because it just looked like he was more comfortable with it. Sure he had some bad drives and I am not even sure how many fairways he hit, but it just looked much better. When you are playing for that much money, I am sure the OEM's realize that they want to love what's in their bag or they will become a free agent and not play any of Cobra's clubs.

To suggest that Cobra is ok with Bryson not playing the SZ is just not accurate, this is devastating for them, not to mention Fowler having one of the worst driving rounds of his life the other week with the SZ. The biggest marketing of all clubs for anyone that is sub 20 handicap is and will always be what clubs the pros play. That doesn't mean this isn't a good club its just definitely hurting the release and will impact sales, even if it is Bryson preferring the low spin LTD or whatever nuance he prefers. Bryson is also the type that wouldn't get bullied into playing certain clubs if he didn't feel like it gave him the best opportunity to win.

• 1 month later...

Well, this guy didnt last long before getting banned. haha.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

I talked shit about the LTD driver not long ago stating the F9 was better. Once I got the LTD back in my hands and outside I quickly realized how wrong I was.... I will agree with the previous poster, the F9 seemed to spin a lot no matter what I did to try and compensate. Not the case for everyone but it seems while it looked very good, a lot of people didn't get along with it. I do think the LTD is a better driver and I don't know how Cobra can top that tech. I also dont think most people (non WRXers, say....) pay that close attention to what Bryson is using for a 1w and Cobra is probably very happy to have their giant logo on the side of his bag regardless of what generation driver he's playing as long as it is a Cobra.

Titleist TSr2 10*  GD UB 6s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

Cobra needs to take the CG tech they had in the LTD line of drivers and combine it with their current milled face tech from the SZ and they would have a mega winner, imo. I’d purchase 3 so quickly. A gamer, a backup, and a backup to the backup.

We are all on the same boat! The F9 is just as good as my LTD Pro, until I put the LTD pro back in my bag for fun.

Unmatched feel and just crazy low spin bombs.

I am on the lookout for a cheap backup head.

PXG 0311XF Gen 5 7.5* Ventus Black 6X
Titleist 913D2 12* UST Mamiya Tour Green 75X
PXG Gen5 19* Ventus Black 10TX
Maltby TE Forged 4-G
Maltby TSW DRM 56 and 60
Taylormade Spider Long Broomstick
#vietnameeh

THE GOLF GARAGE SAN JOSE

• 1 month later...

Never noticed it till now, but Bryson's iron set up is a little unique. Goes from a 6 iron, stock loft of 29* then to his two utilities of 23* and 19*. I know with the shorter long irons some distance is lost, but he is basically skipping his 5 iron, then going to a 4 iron loft, then a 2.5 iron loft. The rest of his irons may likely be non standard lofts, but just thought it was interesting.

I play the Edel SLS-01 iron which go 3i (20*), 4i (23*), 5i (26*). With similar swing speeds to Bryson I do notice the 3 iron not carrying too much further than the 4 iron and could probably make some adjustments to set up my bag a a little better.

• 1 year later...
On 4/15/2020 at 9:15 PM, jordan_mccomb said:

Never noticed it till now, but Bryson's iron set up is a little unique. Goes from a 6 iron, stock loft of 29* then to his two utilities of 23* and 19*. I know with the shorter long irons some distance is lost, but he is basically skipping his 5 iron, then going to a 4 iron loft, then a 2.5 iron loft. The rest of his irons may likely be non standard lofts, but just thought it was interesting.

I play the Edel SLS-01 iron which go 3i (20*), 4i (23*), 5i (26*). With similar swing speeds to Bryson I do notice the 3 iron not carrying too much further than the 4 iron and could probably make some adjustments to set up my bag a a little better.

Bryson actually has a cool video on you YT channel talking about his clubs that I'd recommend to all gear heads.  He essentially said that his irons are tweaked to get his spin numbers right, so its tweaked strong (if I remember correctly) to fit his spin numbers more than yardages.  Which this makes sense given his relatively strong lofts on everything compared to the "normal" PGA tour bag.  I mean his driver is 5* and his highest lofted wedge is 58* I think.  Part of the reason he hits it a mile is his clubs are strong, but not to take anything away from his clubhead/ball speeds, he absolutely mashes it.  

TBD - G430 Max 15* - 818 H2 19*- Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22