How *DO you quantify a hacker?

Paddy_2_Iron

Gotta change that mindset for a start. Realign your vision. You did not shoot a 100 and then shoot 20 under a 100 and say then shoot 100 again.

You had a couple blow up rounds either side of an 80. Or, for those rounds around 100, really you were only 1 stroke (obscuring, it's 1 stroke per hole) over your target.

And of course, in golf-math, an 80 is 1 shot away from being 30 shots better than 100.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

I’d go a step further and say a ‘hack’ is really that player who has absolutely zero etiquette or on-course awareness.

To me the quintessential hack doesn’t even give a shit how bad they are.... nor how or who they’re affecting or impacting. The golfer wonders off into the woods falling behind pace while the rest of the group is putting out looking over their shoulders.

• Like 1

Haha - Played with a father son combo this year like this. Around hole 12 the guy I was playing with and myself announced to them we were moving ahead they seemed shocked but then got it and said no problem. They were both pissing in the woods after hitting 8 still over 400 out on a par 5. The son had gotten so angry he was trying to pick it clean from the fairway with his TM R1

In the bag

10.5 degree Ping 400 | Stiff Ping Shaft 55 gram

5 - GW F7 Cobra variable | Regular Flex Steel

Titleist Vokey 56 degree F Grind 14 Bounce

Mizuno 60 S 18 Ion Blue 6 Bounce

Ping Harwood 2021 Putter

Ball Pro V1

Kinda seems like you are looking for some sort of affirmation for not being good at golf. The thing about games(golf is a game), is you don't have to be good to have fun playing them. That's the whole point of them.

As a 20+, you're objectively a bad golfer. Does that matter? Why are you searching for some approval? Will you be happy if you can say, yeah I suck at golf, but at least I am not a "hack"?

Who cares, people don't enjoy playing with other people because of their game(for the most part). You enjoy someone because they are fun to play with. Whatever "fun to play with" means is very subjective.

For me, I don't give a shit how good or bad you are. I like playing with people that aren't slow, are funny, enjoy listening to music(not required), keep their emotions in check(don't pout the whole round when you're not playing well).

Not to mention, being good at golf is completely relative... Compared to you (20+) I'm amazing(9.7). Compared to a scratch player? I'm fucking awful.

Does that mean I need to hear some scratch players tell me, "Oh at least you're not a hack".

BTW, I believe the most definition for a "hack" is just someone who sucks. And that is relative to that person. Pros would consider a 3HCPer a hack.

TLDR: Learn to check your ego(accept yourself and abilities, don't worry about labels), be a courteous and fun playing partner(pace of play, emotions, jokes, etc.)

"A 12, with his name on his staff bag, trying to shoot The cover yardage on the front bunker, who plays blades so he can work the ball, is stuck between a 1 plane and 2 plane swing with an RIT release and hits his 7 iron 172 yards as his stock yardage.....with a baby draw"

I get the 12 capper with name on his staff bag thing and the blades thing. But I am confused about the rest. Is he saying a 12 HC shouldn't worry about yardages to carry a bunker or not be carrying a 7 iron 172? Can someone explain?

Exactly. Caddies make fun of tour players who don’t have yardages that don’t end in 0 or 5. This point was made the other day with a 6 handicap. He was hitting his 8 iron. He claimed that was his 153 club. His range on 20 shots, throwing away any complete misfits, was 142-155 with 14 of them 142-147. His response, “I guess it’s my 145 club.” BINGO! Shot 75 his next round out.

The 2 salient points here.

well over 90% of golfers don’t hit the ball nearly as far as they think and that’s why all the front bunkers are destroyed at the end of the day.Even tour players aren’t exact enough to have a specific yardage. There’s a range around an even number.

• Like 1

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

C'mon Monte, I guy i know hits his lw exactly 92yds. Exactly. He also has a reputation as a 3hc who has never broken 80 in a tournament ever.

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

Having played both (G700 and i210) they are very different clubs. Toe strikes on the G700 are almost same distance while on the i210 I would lose 10 yds at times. The G700s are the easiest launching irons I have ever played and I do not even need them. I just like how easy they make golf. Started breaking 90 with these 4 of last 5 rounds last year and had only broke 90 1 time before that. I do hate the offset and my miss with these is a pull hook. I have to fight the offset and if they could make these with little to no offset I would buy them in a heart beat. Great irons and the G710s will be no different but a completely different animal than the i210. Although the i210 are awesome irons.Like this.

I present someone who had only broken 90 once. Switches to SGIs and plays 4 of 5 rounds in the 80s.

Still somehow thinks that SGIs aren't something he needs. They must be for those "other" people.

Driver: Ping G400 Max w/ Ping Alta CB 55 Stiff (44.5")

Fairway: Ping G410 SFT 3W w/ Ping Alta CB 65 Stiff

Hybrids: Titleist 818 H1 3H/4H w/ Aldila Rogue Black 85 Stiff

Irons: Ping i210 5i-UW w/ Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 Stiff (+0.5"/1.5* upright)

Wedges: Ping Glide Stealth 2.0 54 SS / 58 ES w/ Ping AWT 2.0 Wedge Flex

Putter: Taylormade Spider X Navy (35")

A guy who has trouble breaking 100 and still insists he's a 19 handicapper.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

Went to the range today to solidify the driver. Bought a large bucket, not one ball hit with an iron, all tee'd up and bombed. The key to a big drive is letting those arms remain loose, at least for me. Let the body do all the work and head flies through the zone. I think I am swinging north of a 100 now taking the tension out of my arms.

That ball is flying!

Is this the same sensation you want for irons?

In the bag

Ping Harwood 2021 Putter

Ball Pro V1

I'm not really in a financial situation to do that right now. Once I am back in the work force and making some scratch I'll think about it, but the one dood wants to sell his PXG, so I may get those first. But eventually I want to get a new driver. I like they M6 driver head that thing is a beast, but the MF driver has been serving me well the last 2 rounds.

Whatever I get it's going to have a super charged shaft. I want to turn this strength into a big time strength. I've been watching some long drive guys and looking at their stretching and fitness routine. I'm thinking about using my natural speed and seeing how high I can get it. I would love to go up there and crush bombs 290. That would be better than shooting par.

This year is all driver practice and some chipping and putting (free). But once I am comfortable with the driver I want to really work on the second shot. In fact once that time comes I'll get a swing instructor to help me work on my approach game. I want to hit GIR's a lot. I can already putt.

In the bag

Ping Harwood 2021 Putter

Ball Pro V1

Open club face hooking irons? I strengthened my grip on the driver to a true neutral lead hand and a strong trail hand. The ball is either straight or slight fade, draw has been eliminated.

In the bag

Ping Harwood 2021 Putter

Ball Pro V1