Face Balanced Blade

I currently use a Yes! Tracy putter, has been in my bag since 2008. For the putter experts out there: does anyone make a true, face balanced blade putter anymore, with absolutely zero toe hang? When I balance the putter shaft on my finger, the face should point straight up flat.

Titleist TS4 9.75 HZRDUS Smoke 
Titleist 915F 15.5 HZRDUS Smoke
Titleist 718CB 3 thru PW
Titleist SM7 50-08, 56-08, 60-04
Yes! Tracy

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ping milled anser 5. It’s a few years old so one could be had for a decent price.

Here’s my face balanced blade:

2XE83J4WIOF3.jpeg

DTY79VR4N5EC.jpeg

JIPL8S92WDHO.jpeg

V3MF0XP5FL3S.jpegI like the putters where the neck angles towards the sweet spot they feel more balanced. Mine also has a tungsten plug out towards the toe to move the sweet spot back to the middle due to the heavier longer neck.

Callaway Mavrik 10.5* with Tensei Pro White 60 stiff tipped 1/2"
Titleist TS4 10.5* with GD XC6 stiff tipped 1/2" 
Titleist TS2 16.5* with Tensei Pro White 70 stiff tipped 1"
Titleist TS2 hybrid 19* with Tensei Pro White 90 stiff tipped 1/2"
Titleist 680 MB 4-9 with Shimada Tour X-Stiff SS 1X
Vokey SM7 46,50,55,60 with Shimada Tour X-Stiff 
Yes C Groove Callie tour issue Badds prototype long neck
Callaway Chrome Soft X Triple Track
Golf Pride Multicompound Black/Black +1/64"
Ogio Silencer bag

That's a sweet putter @poppman2142 and OP he is right about the Anser 5 Milled. I have one, face balanced but I'm not a fan of mine, wish it was heavier honestly.

Lefty WITB

Driver: 9° Ping G410 Plus - Tour 65S

3W: 13.5° Ping G410 LST - Aldila NV 2KXV Green 75X

3H: 19° Ping - Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: 4i - 7i Srixon 585 / 8i - PW Srixon 785 - AMT Tour White S300

Wedges: 51° MD3 - 56° Glide 2 - 60° PM2

Putter(s): TP Mills Handmade - SIK Pro Tour Proto - MannKrafted MA/66 LN - and more. 

Send it in to Ping and have them add tungsten.

Callaway Mavrik 10.5* with Tensei Pro White 60 stiff tipped 1/2"
Titleist TS4 10.5* with GD XC6 stiff tipped 1/2" 
Titleist TS2 16.5* with Tensei Pro White 70 stiff tipped 1"
Titleist TS2 hybrid 19* with Tensei Pro White 90 stiff tipped 1/2"
Titleist 680 MB 4-9 with Shimada Tour X-Stiff SS 1X
Vokey SM7 46,50,55,60 with Shimada Tour X-Stiff 
Yes C Groove Callie tour issue Badds prototype long neck
Callaway Chrome Soft X Triple Track
Golf Pride Multicompound Black/Black +1/64"
Ogio Silencer bag

I looked into that and I'm just not in love with the sound/feel of the putter to spend that on it. I might get a face balanced blade in a weight I like with the sound/feel I like as well.

Lefty WITB

Driver: 9° Ping G410 Plus - Tour 65S

3W: 13.5° Ping G410 LST - Aldila NV 2KXV Green 75X

3H: 19° Ping - Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: 4i - 7i Srixon 585 / 8i - PW Srixon 785 - AMT Tour White S300

Wedges: 51° MD3 - 56° Glide 2 - 60° PM2

Putter(s): TP Mills Handmade - SIK Pro Tour Proto - MannKrafted MA/66 LN - and more. 

I’m still trying to understand the physics of face balanced putters whose face points straight up flat. We don’t hit the golf balls with the putter up to the sky, do we? We need the putter to be stable at address an while stroking and most face balanced putters create some head twist at setup. I don’t have putters from this brand, but this video makes a lot of sense from a physics perspective

J.A. - "Face balanced" with face pointing up to the sky, as you say doesn't make any sense from a physics point of view at all. The Seemore FGP style or Edel torque free balance make more sense, and then the Directed Force LAB or whatever style makes even better sense...

But then personal preference for toe hang can influence and be preferred by the 'wet ware' - the human hanging on to the grip end.

There's a reason the 3-ball face balanced and the gigantic face-balanced Ping Doc fell out of favour so quickly... you could really feel how they were trying to twist in your hands as you swung the putter.

From the physics, "face balanced to the sky" means the shaft runs through the CG of the putter and it has a very low rotational MOI, it is very easy to rotate the clubface - so if you are handsy the face will move all over the place in your stroke (this is why it's recommended for sbst) . When the shaft starts to get inside of the CG relative to the putter face, you increase rotational MOI, so the arc in your stroke doesnt whip the face open and shut. I very much like the "torque balanced" idea though, it certainly has merit.

Sorry, I don’t get it. Having the CG more to the shaft means a lower swingweight that would be the result of a very light head, something not that common in these days. I suggest you watch the video I posted before.

In “face balanced to the sky” the heads have the CG in the centre/back of the putter, that’s why they are vertical with the flat face up. To increase the toe hang, the CG is displaced to the toe, the more displacement, the more toe hang. But on address, the balance is achieved in how the shaft connects to the head, more to the heel with head CG to the back means that the putter will turn open. More to the centre and head CG forward, less torsion or balance. Of course gravity has a fundamental job here.

That "blade" is center shafted, so the shaft-line goes almost directly through the ACTUAL center of gravity for the whole entire head, there's no offset to the blade whatsoever. Herein lies the flaw in this video, as he basically takes a special situation(center shaft blade) and generalizes his physics perspective for ALL putters. A better analysis would be to consider a putter like his as a straight pole with a weight on the very end. Because the weight is so close to the axis(shaft), it literally creates no angular inertia on the shaft(aka torque). Now, imagine that weight moved back, away from the end of the pole some distance, at 90* perpendicular(aka offset). The more we move the CoG of the weight away from this axis, the more perceived torque the weight applies to the pole. The MOI and reduced tendency to twist along that axis goes up dramatically.

Simple experiment to demonstrate the increased MOI would be to take a tooth pick and use it to spin each head around as it balances, from say a table, with the head over-hanging the surface, in it's natural "toe-hang" position. Using HIS putter, this twisting motion would be absolutely effortless, because no residual CoG mass "hangs" down and away from the axis(shaft). Add a little offset, and attempt to twist the head around the putter with the same toothpick, and I guarantee that the "offset" of that mass from the axis will instantly create more torque. It's all simple lever mechanics. The acceleration of the putter forward to hit the ball is very similar to how gravity works on the head when it's stationary. Both forces are directly parallel to that "hang-line", directly through the actual CoG. This is why a severe toe hang putter, at really long putt distances is much harder to square exactly at impact, the acceleration req'd to impart the extra force creates an even greater torque to the shaft. Face balanced + offset is where the SBST shines, because for the entire motion of the putter, the acceleration force is exactly perpendicular to the face along that increased MOI "hang-line", just as it was when gravity was playing the part of the acceleration/force.

Offset is equally important in this "physics" equation, and without it, this talk of toe hang is meaningless as it applies to face-balanced putters... All he basically proved is that a center shafted blade has a very low MOI and nothing else.

TM 2016 M2 12* - OG Grafalloy Blue X, 43.5"

TEE XCG7 16.5* 4w, OG Grafalloy Blue S, 41.75"

Cally Rogue X 18.5* 4i, Diamana 70 S, 39.75"

Cobra King OS 4-G, TT XP95 R300, -.5"

Vokey SM8 54.14F(2*weak), 60.10S(4*weak)

"Rusty" Byron DH89 Slant Pipe // Byron GSS DH89 Long Slant // GOAT NP2 Tiger Putter

Also, the amount of unseen hand manipulation of that "tee" in the grip is comical. He's got the SeeMore ones jammed in there and as soon as he does his little test with the mallets, we conveniently lose sight of the grip and he's free make any putter do as he wants. Gimmicks and kiddie games are down the street my friend!

TM 2016 M2 12* - OG Grafalloy Blue X, 43.5"

TEE XCG7 16.5* 4w, OG Grafalloy Blue S, 41.75"

Cally Rogue X 18.5* 4i, Diamana 70 S, 39.75"

Cobra King OS 4-G, TT XP95 R300, -.5"

Vokey SM8 54.14F(2*weak), 60.10S(4*weak)

"Rusty" Byron DH89 Slant Pipe // Byron GSS DH89 Long Slant // GOAT NP2 Tiger Putter

I don’t have Seemore putters, in fact I have never had one in my hands. I did the test with all my putters and all the face balanced and the Anser style were open. The only ones that were balanced at address were the Bullseye flange putters that do have 90° toe hang. And yes, I putt the best with the Bullseye flange putters.