Maverick max vs maverick

blt2280

I think this is going to be an interesting comparison as the year warms up. When the muppets gave the Mavrik like a quick swing Lockey was thinking Max not standard which is interesting given his propensity to hit low hooks for path balls. I have not touched one but is the Max similar to the shape and lower MOI of the Rogue?

I really do want to see some numbers on ball speed for off center hits to compare the two but that's not easy to do unless its well, just me swinging it with a trackman for an hour or so :)

Maverik Max was super forgiving but it spun too much for me.

10.5˚ TaylorMade Stealth Plus

18° Titleist TSR2 5 Wood

21° Titleist TSR2 7 Wood

4-PW Titleist T100s Black

50˚ Titleist SM8 Black

54˚ Titleist SM8 Black

60˚ Titleist SM8 Black

Bettinardi Hive 8.0

Bridgestone Tour B-XS

Interesting discussions on Mavrik family irons elsewhere in this forum. Mavrik has stronger lofts than Mavrik MAX.

Also, MAX has these lighter stock shafts which boost launch, and likely spin:

KBS MAX 80 Steel: low kick, 86 gr. Reg and 90 gr. StiffProject X Catalyst 55/65/75 Graphite: mid-kick, weight from 55 gr. Light to 75 gr. Stiff Possibly firmer and heavier shafts could tame down the MAX if needed.

=====

Local golf shop has Mavrik family long clubs, but no test irons as yet.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

There are no secrets to Callaway Mavrik drivers - look at the soles.

Weight in the heel (MAX) = max forgiveness, somewhat more backspin with some draw bias.

No weight or weight in the back (Regular) = max forgiveness with little side-to-side bias.

Weight up front (Sub Zero) = least spin (so s/b slightly longer), slightly less forgiveness, more "maneuverable"

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

Mavrik having stronger lofts than Mavrik Max t makes sense if you think of it this way- The Max is designed to be the most forgiving of the Mavrik's but not the longest (think Big Bertha Fusion driver maybe?), while the standard Mavrik is geared to be purely an iron for those who are looking to maximize distance.

Does having such niche like choices in a single iron family make sense? I guess we will see!

For drivers I might agree.

But typically, adding "max" to irons would say to ME, more distance. More forgiveness as well.

I doubt anybody who "follows" clubs would intuitively think the regular Mavrik irons would be stronger lofted than the Mavrik Max.

But I could be wrong.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

As a senior, the modern low loft, low spin irons, like the Rogue line, do not work for me. Not blade like loft but I need some loft as in the Cobra Max I play. Looking for to testing Mavrik Max.

Mizuno ST-Max 10.5 Smoke RDX 50 5.5, AI Smoke 10.5 with HZRDOUS RDX RED 50 5.5

Mizuno ST-MaX 5 stock Kail'l R

Mizuno ST-Max 7 stock Kail'l R

AI Smoke HL 7-AW Nippon Neo 85

AI Smoke 7/8 Hybrid HZRDOUS Siver 65 Gen 4 5.5

Cleveland Full Face 52

Cleveland Full Face 56

Odyssey Jailbird 380

Titelist prov1x/Callaway Chrome Soft

Went for a fitting with the callaway rep at roger dunn's. My swing speed is low around 90 but I tend to hit stiff shafts better with Callaway shafts. Tried the mavrik with riptide and I was hitting it all over the place. Next he handed me the aldila rogue white in stiff with the max head. It was point and shoot straight balls much more consistent trajectory and straighter. Next I tried this shaft with the regular mavrik and the results were ok but nowhere near as consistently down the middle. What was interesting was with the max my spin was perfect 1900 to 2000. So I ordered the max with the rogue white in stiff.

I assume you are talking about the Rogue White 60? I recently picked up a Mavrik Max head as well as a standard Mavrik head. I have been recently fit with my previous Epic Flash, but did not get fit for the Mavriks per se. That said, I have seen pretty similar results to you I would say. I am similar low 90s driver swing speed.

Standard Mavrik head is very good, and there were times over the past couple of days out on the course where I thought it might be the one over the Max. But in the end, I just don’t see the standard Mavrik being able to compete with the confidence and forgiveness of the Max, for me. The Max is just a darn good driver. For others, the standard Mavrik will be an excellent option bridging the gap between the Subzero and the Max. Really fits a nice role in the lineup.

I picked up the Rogue White 60, but in regular flex not stiff. Even with the regular flex, it is a terrific shaft. Could easily play the Max with the Rogue White R flex, and it went toe to toe with my fitted Speeder Evo VI 661 SR. I found the Rogue White 130 a very stable, smooth, lowish spin (without being crazy low), mid-launch shaft.

As a tweener who bounces between stiff and regular shafts depending on the profile, I am definitely going to give the Rogue White 60 stiff flex a look, though. Great shaft.

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 9* Driver, GD Tour AD VR-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 Wood, GD Tour AD VR-7 S

Callaway Paradym 18* Super Hybrid, Aerotech Steelfiber fc75 f3

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Taylormade ‘21 P790 Irons 6-AW, MMT 105 S

Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore Wedge 54*/10 and 58*/10, MMT 105 S Scoring Wedge

Byron Morgan DH89 Flow Neck Putter

• 1 month later...

I ordered a Max with the Rogue 130 70 stiff. I wanted the forgiveness and launch of the max and the lower spin of the 130 shaft. Most reviews I've read were very good for the Max.

Titleist TSR3 9 Tensei 1K 70
Titleist TSR3 3w HZRDUS Blue 

Cobra LTDX max 5w HZRDUS Blue 

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 Tour AD DI
Mizuno Pro 245 5-GW PX IO
Titleist SM9 52f, 58v PX LZ

Scotty MOTO Fastback 1.5 

• 2 months later...

Surprisingly not much chatter here on the Mavrik drivers (Standard and Max), so I'll bring this back a bit. I see I posted in this thread back in February, so I'll just keep going with this thread rather than starting a new one (even though it gnaws at me that "Mavrik" is misspelled in the title, lol). Sorry if this is a bit wordy, but it may be of some help to some of you.

Since I originally posted back in February, I have been on a golf trip to Arizona, got started golfing here in NJ, then lost golf altogether due to the pandemic, and then got golf back in full swing. During that time, I put countless hours of demoing into the standard Mavrik and the Mavrik Max. I probably used 10-20 different shafts. I had 9* and 10.5* heads with each. And I used many different combinations of weights with the Max--heavier weight in heel, heavier weight in back, different weights and combinations.

Obviously, YMMV with any of my results, but cutting to the chase, I can't deny that the standard Mavrik is the clear winner for me. It began when I was on my golf trip in Arizona. We played a round our first day there, right from the airport with a quick stop at the hotel. I had the 9* Max and 10.5* standard heads in my bag, gave them each about 10 minutes at the range, and was surprised that the standard was more consistent. But then, over the course of the few days in Arizona, on some tough courses, every time the standard would act up, I'd panic and throw the Max head back on. Max was no great shakes either, but it was fine.

Get back to NJ, and continue my testing. I sort of kept the same pattern as Arizona. Felt more comfortable with the standard head, early season rustiness, some bad drives, throw the Max back on. This went on for a couple of weeks before the lockdown, and then for a couple of weeks after the lockdown. Finally, after many sub-par rounds after the lockdown due to constant changing of heads and shafts, I knew I had to bring this to a head. So, I buckled down, and discerned that the somewhat random Graphite Design G series 60g regular flex shaft was the most consistent shaft for me. That was with some serious shaft competition, but I felt comfortable with that.

Once I had the shaft settled, I buckled down on the heads, and the standard Mavrik was the clear winner. The Max was somewhat inconsistent, and I could never even settle on where to leave the weights, and what weights to have in the heel and the back (if I needed 16g of weights, say 14/2 or 10/6, or 2/14, or 6/10, or 12/4, etc.). Nothing ever locked in as the one. With the standard, if I needed 6g of weight for D2, then that was that, and no thinking or tinkering.

From day one, the standard Mav has essentially been point and shoot. I sort of felt that way from the beginning, but couldn't get around the notion that the Max should be the one for me as a mid-capper. But, about 5 rounds in with the settled combo of the 10.5* standard head with the GD shaft, it has essentially been point and shoot. I am hitting a record number of fairways, and those that don't are playable and early in the rough. Mind you, I was notorious among my playing partners for my erratic tee shots. Like, all over the place. The Mavrik has really been a game-changer for me.

Give it a demo if you haven't. And the sound and feel are outstanding on the standard Mav. I also have a 9* standard head, which is great also. One can really play around with that for launch, spin, etc. YMMV of course.

• 1 month later...

I have been playing the TS3 with Evenflow white 6.0. I will soon be 62 and have a Driver SS that averages right around the 100mph with most strikes a few mph above or below that. I love the feel of the TS3 and the Evenflow 6.0, hit some good drives with it, but the consistency has not been there. Same with the M5 and M6 but worse.

Today I grabbed the Mavrik, Mavrik Max, and TS2 demos from my club pro shop and put them against my TS3. I was able to hit them all with stiff shafts, regular shafts, and some between. I did this after 18 holes on the course so I was warmed up.

I was a little disappointed in the TS2 which had the same shaft as my gamer, 6.0 Evenflow white. The performance was difficult to distinguish from my TS3. Feel and sound was good, performance was good, but forgiveness seemed close to my TS3. I am looking for more.

The standard Mavrik with both regular and stiff shafts sounded great and gained a little distance over my TS3. Launch was a little higher than my 9.5 TS3 with the Riptide 5.5 and 6.0 shaft. I did not like the Rogue 130 stiff nor the Riptide 5.0 nor the Tensi Blue Regular flex.

The Mavrik Max was the standout for me, with multiple shafts. My favorite ended up being the Riptide 5.5 which makes sense with my 100mph SS. What surprised me was I went with the 10.5 head. It launched higher than I expected and considerably higher than my usual preference. BUT, I could not argue with the length and forgiveness. I am a decent ball striker(not elite by any standards) and everything close to the center of the face gave very good results. I kept going back and forth between my gamer and the Max, and there was no arguing which gave the most consistent dispersion. It really wasn't close. The best drives from each were good drives. The poorer strikes with the Max had much better outcomes than the poorer strikes with the TS3.

My home course is 6842 yards, but a 130 slope due to narrow fairways heavily lined with huge 75 to 100 year old oak trees. I honestly believe the Max will give me a chance to go lower more often. Ultimate distance plays a distant second place vs straight for me. My course gave me a demo set-up to use while they order my new club. Club Championship is in September and I need to hit more fairways to reach my goal a few more years...top 10 in the open devision. I have had a couple of third place finishes many years ago...probably never good enough to win at even a local club championship. However a few more top 10 finishes playing with the young guns would feel really good. We will see :-)

Driver- Titleist TsR2 with Graphite Design Tour AD

4w - Titleist Tsi2 with Tensei Raw Blue shaft

19 Hy - Titleist 818 H1 with Atmos Tour Spec

23 Hy - Titleist 818 with Graphite Design Tour AD-DI shaft

5i-PW - Bridgestone J15 CB with Recoil F4 110 shafts

50,54,and 58 Wilson Staff wedges with SF shafts

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD

• 5 months later...
On 6/4/2020 at 5:04 PM, jeffrey r said:

Surprisingly not much chatter here on the Mavrik drivers (Standard and Max), so I'll bring this back a bit. I see I posted in this thread back in February, so I'll just keep going with this thread rather than starting a new one (even though it gnaws at me that "Mavrik" is misspelled in the title, lol). Sorry if this is a bit wordy, but it may be of some help to some of you.

Since I originally posted back in February, I have been on a golf trip to Arizona, got started golfing here in NJ, then lost golf altogether due to the pandemic, and then got golf back in full swing. During that time, I put countless hours of demoing into the standard Mavrik and the Mavrik Max. I probably used 10-20 different shafts. I had 9* and 10.5* heads with each. And I used many different combinations of weights with the Max--heavier weight in heel, heavier weight in back, different weights and combinations.

Obviously, YMMV with any of my results, but cutting to the chase, I can't deny that the standard Mavrik is the clear winner for me. It began when I was on my golf trip in Arizona. We played a round our first day there, right from the airport with a quick stop at the hotel. I had the 9* Max and 10.5* standard heads in my bag, gave them each about 10 minutes at the range, and was surprised that the standard was more consistent. But then, over the course of the few days in Arizona, on some tough courses, every time the standard would act up, I'd panic and throw the Max head back on. Max was no great shakes either, but it was fine.

Get back to NJ, and continue my testing. I sort of kept the same pattern as Arizona. Felt more comfortable with the standard head, early season rustiness, some bad drives, throw the Max back on. This went on for a couple of weeks before the lockdown, and then for a couple of weeks after the lockdown. Finally, after many sub-par rounds after the lockdown due to constant changing of heads and shafts, I knew I had to bring this to a head. So, I buckled down, and discerned that the somewhat random Graphite Design G series 60g regular flex shaft was the most consistent shaft for me. That was with some serious shaft competition, but I felt comfortable with that.

Once I had the shaft settled, I buckled down on the heads, and the standard Mavrik was the clear winner. The Max was somewhat inconsistent, and I could never even settle on where to leave the weights, and what weights to have in the heel and the back (if I needed 16g of weights, say 14/2 or 10/6, or 2/14, or 6/10, or 12/4, etc.). Nothing ever locked in as the one. With the standard, if I needed 6g of weight for D2, then that was that, and no thinking or tinkering.

From day one, the standard Mav has essentially been point and shoot. I sort of felt that way from the beginning, but couldn't get around the notion that the Max should be the one for me as a mid-capper. But, about 5 rounds in with the settled combo of the 10.5* standard head with the GD shaft, it has essentially been point and shoot. I am hitting a record number of fairways, and those that don't are playable and early in the rough. Mind you, I was notorious among my playing partners for my erratic tee shots. Like, all over the place. The Mavrik has really been a game-changer for me.

Give it a demo if you haven't. And the sound and feel are outstanding on the standard Mav. I also have a 9* standard head, which is great also. One can really play around with that for launch, spin, etc. YMMV of course.

Did you find a difference between standard and max as far as distance? 
I tried both today at the range, into a 30 mph wind and to my eye standard was lower launch and 10 or so yards longer. My miss is over the top so the max weights don’t do as much for me, plus I like the sound and look of the standard better.

9 minutes ago, boxerdoc said:

Did you find a difference between standard and max as far as distance? 
I tried both today at the range, into a 30 mph wind and to my eye standard was lower launch and 10 or so yards longer. My miss is over the top so the max weights don’t do as much for me, plus I like the sound and look of the standard better.

Pound for pound, I think the standard Mavrik is probably longer, but in the end, this really comes down to launch, spin, etc.  I don't know all of the variables with your testing, but your results seem pretty true to form for me.

I got along with the 10.5* Mavrik more than the 9*, and it was the reverse with the Mav Max, where I preferred the 9*.  I don't think the Mav Max is noticeably shorter than the Mavrik, though. 

Although I have the Mav Max in my sig currently, the driver spot for me is open for next season.  I ended up coming around more on the Mav Max, so it is still in the running.  The Mavrik is still an outstanding head, and I could happily game it for another season.  I now have the B21 as well, which is a bit of a unicorn with high launch, low spin, and forgiveness.  Still dialing that one in, but it could jump ahead if I do dial it in.  And I am also giving some of the TM draw drivers a run as well.  Frankly, enjoying all of them at the moment.

On 7/19/2020 at 5:05 PM, rxk9fan said:

I have been playing the TS3 with Evenflow white 6.0. I will soon be 62 and have a Driver SS that averages right around the 100mph with most strikes a few mph above or below that. I love the feel of the TS3 and the Evenflow 6.0, hit some good drives with it, but the consistency has not been there. Same with the M5 and M6 but worse.

Today I grabbed the Mavrik, Mavrik Max, and TS2 demos from my club pro shop and put them against my TS3. I was able to hit them all with stiff shafts, regular shafts, and some between. I did this after 18 holes on the course so I was warmed up.

I was a little disappointed in the TS2 which had the same shaft as my gamer, 6.0 Evenflow white. The performance was difficult to distinguish from my TS3. Feel and sound was good, performance was good, but forgiveness seemed close to my TS3. I am looking for more.

The standard Mavrik with both regular and stiff shafts sounded great and gained a little distance over my TS3. Launch was a little higher than my 9.5 TS3 with the Riptide 5.5 and 6.0 shaft. I did not like the Rogue 130 stiff nor the Riptide 5.0 nor the Tensi Blue Regular flex.

The Mavrik Max was the standout for me, with multiple shafts. My favorite ended up being the Riptide 5.5 which makes sense with my 100mph SS. What surprised me was I went with the 10.5 head. It launched higher than I expected and considerably higher than my usual preference. BUT, I could not argue with the length and forgiveness. I am a decent ball striker(not elite by any standards) and everything close to the center of the face gave very good results. I kept going back and forth between my gamer and the Max, and there was no arguing which gave the most consistent dispersion. It really wasn't close. The best drives from each were good drives. The poorer strikes with the Max had much better outcomes than the poorer strikes with the TS3.

My home course is 6842 yards, but a 130 slope due to narrow fairways heavily lined with huge 75 to 100 year old oak trees. I honestly believe the Max will give me a chance to go lower more often. Ultimate distance plays a distant second place vs straight for me. My course gave me a demo set-up to use while they order my new club. Club Championship is in September and I need to hit more fairways to reach my goal a few more years...top 10 in the open devision. I have had a couple of third place finishes many years ago...probably never good enough to win at even a local club championship. However a few more top 10 finishes playing with the young guns would feel really good. We will see 🙂

I see you preferred the max, as you can see I am in limbo between the 2 (standard and max). My big concern is more so distance but misses seem worse with standard, can you weigh in on those differences?

I have had a mav standard for about 6 months now and my wife just picked up a mav max last month.

She came from an ST190 and the mav max has been flat out amazing for her. Picked up 20 yards and she's now a solid 190-200 down the middle and she can properly square the club up. She had to manipulate the SRT190 quite a bit at address. 

So I took her max and put it on my shaft of choice and SW'd it and took it to the range. It was 'just ok' for me. I could definitely feel it helping some of my misses and it wanted to go straight every time, but there was a significant distance loss and I wasnt a fan of the sound/feel of the max of the standard.

Edited by third-times-a-charm

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + CQ6 / MVRKTC 15° + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

• 8 months later...

Yesterday, I got the Callaway Mavrik, 9 deg, with stock Riptide 50g shaft, stock length - 45.5".  On the simulator, the smash factor was fairly consistent. 1.46-1.48. Today, I watched it on the range and it was wild - mostly high fades. I could not generate a draw which I can do easily with my old TM Rocketbalz.

I got the club at Golf Galaxy, a big box store,  so I'm thinking these guys didn't really fit me - they gave me a stock shaft. Any suggestions? My avg CHS is 100 mph.  Maybe I should try a heavier shaft for better stablity?