What driving iron???

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mizuno JPX 919 HM Pro 4 iron. Its an absolute rocket off the tee and easy to hit off the turf. I like the Pro better than the standard because of the less offset. Great club

If you can, try a Srixon U85 (or U65 if you can find one). It feels REALLY good when struck purely (forged face I believe) and the ball flight is piercing but not low running. I have a 4/23* and it’

I tried the Srixons and liked them off the tee but not the fairway. They have a pretty big profile and sole. Seemed clunky to me off some lies. I do like the profile of a couple of new ones, the 2020 Cobra Forged Tec and the Wilson Staff Model utility that has not been out long. The Wilson is definitely more nimble than the Srixons. The TM GAPRs are also great options with the three different profiles.

Do those who have driving irons in the 3/4 spot - do you swing weight it to match your irons or go lighter? Just curious. My irons are D6 and I hold my new U510 4 iron and the change in weight is extreme. Haven’t got to use it but I’m just wondering if that could be an issue. FWIW - I’m considering putting in a Recoil 110X.

Driver: Cobra Speedzone 9 degree with Fujikura Ventus 7X
3 wood: Cobra F9 with Fuji Atmos Black Tour Spec 7x
Hybrid: Mizuno CLK 19 with Fuji Atmos Tour Spec 9X
Irons: New Level 902 5-PW with DG X100, New Level NLU-01 driving iron Hzrdous Smoke 100 6.5
Wedges: New Level M type 50-55-60 
Putter: Taylormade Spider X Navy 35"
Ball: Snell MTBX / Srixon Z Star XV

... If anyone is interested. I just put a P790 3 iron DGX100 in the classified.

TaylorMade SIM Max ... Diamana Limited 55R
Callaway Super Hybrid 17*  ... Diamana Limited 65R

TaylorMade DHy 19* ... Diamana Limited 65R
4-Wedge Titleist T100-S ... Steelfiber 95R
SM6 52* F Grind /SM8 M Grind 58* ... Steelfiber 95R
Newport 2.5 ... 33.5"

I tried out 2 hybrids last year and while forgiving I'd always have a lot of fade on the ball and generally distance wasn't there for me vs my long irons. I'm thinking of going to a utility iron, driving iron or a hollow body 3i since lefty options are limited. Will see what I end up with, have my eye on a few options and will see how testing goes.

Lefty WITB

Driver: 9° Ping G410 Plus - Tour 65S

3W: 13.5° Ping G410 LST - Aldila NV 2KXV Green 75X

3H: 19° Ping - Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: 4i - 7i Srixon 585 / 8i - PW Srixon 785 - AMT Tour White S300

Wedges: 51° MD3 - 56° Glide 2 - 60° PM2

Putter(s): TP Mills Handmade - SIK Pro Tour Proto - MannKrafted MA/66 LN - and more. 

The P790 UDI is excellent-it's as good of a driving iron as anything I've ever hit. Keep your distance gaps in mind though. I carried a similar setup and found that there was too much of a gap between it, and my 4-iron. Distance-wise, it was too close to my 4-wood, it just got there in a different way. If I did it again, I personally would go with the P790 3-Iron instead. I'm not sure what all you carry at the top end of your bag, but it's probably going to be a big jump from your 4 iron.

Some people say it's hard to hit off the deck, but it's a 2-iron, so.... Truthfully, if you don't have issues hitting long irons in general, you won't have any issues with the UDI either. It's forgiving for what it is.

• 2 weeks later...

This is what I’m about to try! I’m having mine bent a degree strong and tossing a Tensei pro white in it. Hopefully this will be the unicorn I’ve been looking for!

Taylormade M5 TI 8° Fujikura Motore F1 7X WRX issue 
Taylormade M1 2017 TI 15.5° 3HL Kuro Kage XD 80TX
Taylormade GAPR Lo TI bonded 18 2 iron Tour AD 95X
Mizuno MP-20 MMC 4-PW Black KBS $taper 130X
Vokey SM7 raw 50F, 54S & 58D Green Nippon 125 wedge
Bettinardi Queen Bee #7

All Iomic Stick 2.3 grips and I-Classic Mid Putter grip
Titleist Pro-V1 High #s

I’m absolutely in love with my Titleist U510 with Recoil 110X. Had the stock Smoke shaft in it and swapped for the Recoil and it really made this thing unreal.

Driver: Cobra Speedzone 9 degree with Fujikura Ventus 7X
3 wood: Cobra F9 with Fuji Atmos Black Tour Spec 7x
Hybrid: Mizuno CLK 19 with Fuji Atmos Tour Spec 9X
Irons: New Level 902 5-PW with DG X100, New Level NLU-01 driving iron Hzrdous Smoke 100 6.5
Wedges: New Level M type 50-55-60 
Putter: Taylormade Spider X Navy 35"
Ball: Snell MTBX / Srixon Z Star XV

i just recently switched from p790 udi 2i to callaway xforged UT 18* and no regrets!

SIM 10.5* Tensei Pro Orange 70TX(.5") :: TS3 9.5* Tensei Pro Orange 70TX(.5") :: 2017 M2 TI 9.3*-1.8* 205g Diamana X Limited 60s(.5")
F9 14.5* Tour AD IZ-8TX(1") :: TS2 15* Tour AD IZ-8TX(1") :: 2017 M2 15* Crazy La Bomba FW 80s(1")
MB-001 2i KBS C-Taper Lite 115X :: X-Forged UT 18* Project X :: F9 19* Tensei Pro White 100TX
MB-001 4-9 Modus3 Tour 120X :: AR1 4-9 Aerotech SteelFiber 110cw :: MP-29 2-9 KBS Tour
WedgeWorks V-Grind 46/50/55/60 DG S400 Tour Issue
Scotty Tour Black 009M Hoops
Scotty Tour Black Buttonback T10 Newport Deep Milled Insert Only
Studio Stock 28 SB Center Shaft Blackout(Spacial Black Friday) Limited Release
Queen B 5 Blackout(Spacial Black Friday) Limited Release
Studio Stock 38 (current gamer)
K-Signature
WITB Link

i need to get a new set and I’ll be looking to fill a gap possibly but unsure about keeping what I already have. I have a 17 degree Titleist 716 Tmb that I love, but my next set will have modus 120x shafts and the T-MB currently has a DG X100.

if I get the Mizuno Mp-20 Hmb the 3 iron is 19 degrees, so at 17 degrees it should play fine, or I may bend it to 16 degrees, I’d most likely re-shaft with a Modus 120x or TX ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If I get a set of Sub70 699 pro irons, they start at a 21.5 4 iron, so I may consider bending it to 18 and re-shafting to a Modus 120x or Tx ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

i really can’t see myself getting rid of that club, I love it. It’s easy to flight and shape, plus has some pop to it

i don’t feel like I should replace something I love, but maybe I get a Cobra adjustable 3 iron, bend the Titleist to 16 and re-shaft with something graphite for my driving iron and ditch replace my hybrid? Decision making ? such is golf ?️