I am a decent striker, bot not a ton of swing speed, looking at maybe a new hybrid this season, had thoughts about a 7w maybe, need something in the 21-23 range.

any feedback from anyone that plays a 7w would be appreciated.

Thanks

GBB Ventus Black 6
F9 Tour 3w-Ventus black 7
F9 Tour 5w-Smoke 70
F9 21* hybrid - ATMOS black 

F9 24* hybrid Hzrdus smoke 
JPX921F 6-G LZ Blackout 
MD5 53/58
Toulon Portland Garage 
TM TP5X 
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hit a G410 7W handed to me by the rep. I gave him a weird look. To my surprise, WOW! I would game one in a heartbeat! Easy to hit, confident looking down at it. Versatile with the amount of loft on th

I was fit onto a 7W last year at PING HQ. Man that club alone was worth the trip. Im not as long as others in this thread. I hit mine 170 to 180. But it is the most consistent club in my bag outsi

I am similar to you - hit ball reasonably well for a guy with a day job but moderate speed limits options at lower loft. I will likely go with a 7w this year. I’ve had a couple demo sessions with a 7w vs a 21 deg hyb on a Trackman. My best results come from choking up on the 21 deg 7w by about 3/4 of an inch. I think of it as a ‘high launch’ hybrid. Yields about 5-7 more yds carry with much better flight - launch, spin, apex, descent. If one more session yields similar results I’m going to pull trigger on a TS2 7w at 40.75” with a slightly heavier shaft.

I’m not a long hitter either. I replaced the 3H with a 5W and the 4H with a 7W. I’m more consistent and accurate with the woods than the hybrids. In my case it was a great decision that I improved my second shots on long Par 4 and Par 5. I can get around 175m with the 5W and around 160m with the 7W. Both woods are Callaway, the 5 is an old XHot and the 7 is a Rogue. I can hit both of them well from either the tee and the turf.

Last Friday I tested the Mavriks, very nice, easy to hit. Ping G410 is great as well.

I have a 7w and 4h. Both cover what I need. The 4h is the 190 -200 and the 7 is anything over 200.

ive been in this setup for a few years now and won’t switch it.

Twitter: @itsnotgriffin
Site: [url="http://www.thebottomgroove.com/"]www.thebottomgroove.com[/url]

WITB:
Callaway Big Bertha Epic 10.5
Callaway BBA 5 Wood
Callaway XR 7 Wood - Frankenstyle
Apex Hybrid 23deg
Apex Pro 5i-PW
MD3 52, 56 W-Grind
MD3 60 PM Grind
Odyssey O-Works - #1/3T (putter commitment issues)

I say this to everyone ... BOTH ... 7w to replace 3i and 4h to replace 4i ... gives you way more options as you can hit very diff shots with both clubs

a fairway wood between 18 and 20 degrees is a WEAPON

Ping G400 Max 10.5* Fubuki K 60x

Ping G400 5w 16.5* Blueboard 73x Ping G400 7w 19.5* Diamana B 80s

Callaway Apex 4h 23* Fubuki 82x Callaway Apex 5h 26* Mitsu KK 90s

Mizuno 919T 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Prototype 95 f4
Vokey SM2 50*, SM2 TVD 56*M & 59*M, 64* Recoil Proto 95 f4

Piretti Matera Elite

Leaning toward 7w, never had one, have a hybrid now, can always pick up a F9 4H for cheaper to match my fwy woods if it doesn’t work out.

GBB Ventus Black 6
F9 Tour 3w-Ventus black 7
F9 Tour 5w-Smoke 70
F9 21* hybrid - ATMOS black 

F9 24* hybrid Hzrdus smoke 
JPX921F 6-G LZ Blackout 
MD5 53/58
Toulon Portland Garage 
TM TP5X 

Yes on 7 wood. Launches high. Great out of funky lies. And, for me, it doesn't snap left like so many hybrids.

There used to be a stigma around 7 woods -- they were clubs for ladies and seniors -- but that's gone out the window. Lots of pros have them in the bag (especially Titleist and Ping staffers), and there is no better club for hitting long shots into greens.

I have the Titleist 917 F2 and will likely be putting it back in my bag in place of one of my U500s, but I just haven't figured out which one.

PING G410 / Ventus Blue 6x

PING G410 LST / Ventus Blue 7x

TITLEIST TS2 3W 7W / Ventus Blue 7x

MIZUNO MP20 Blades 5i-P / Modus 120 S

VOKEY SM8 50F 54D 58M / Modus 120 S

Putter TBD

I like 80 to 90g shafts with my 7w’s ... v series heavenwood and g25

Ping G400 Max 10.5* Fubuki K 60x

Ping G400 5w 16.5* Blueboard 73x Ping G400 7w 19.5* Diamana B 80s

Callaway Apex 4h 23* Fubuki 82x Callaway Apex 5h 26* Mitsu KK 90s

Mizuno 919T 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Prototype 95 f4
Vokey SM2 50*, SM2 TVD 56*M & 59*M, 64* Recoil Proto 95 f4

Piretti Matera Elite

I go M2 3hl (16.5) to an M6 7w (21) with a shaft that has been lengthened to a 5 wood length. So far I’ve liked the setup except for those long shots out of deep rough.

I actually play a lighter shaft in my 7w (Tensei Blue) than I play in my 3hl (Rogue Black) but it works for me. Putting a heavier shaft in the 7w just didn’t feel right. Constantly felt like I was having to swing harder to compensate for the shaft weight. Once I went to a lighter shaft I was making much better contact with a nice smooth swing.

I’ve had a 7 wood for years. Tried a bunch of hybrids and just have not found anything as versatile and consistent. Mine is an old Callaway Big Bertha from around 2004 with a Warbird style sole and the stock 75g “firm” flex shaft. I do not see it going anywhere.

Up here in the Rockies it is good for 205-235’ish, depending on what I am trying to do.

drn92

I’m switching back to a 7 wood myself, just bought a 21* V steel for $25 to replace a 22* hybrid. Can’t wait to give it a shot when the courses re-open.

Callaway Epic Flash 12.0, 5.5 Evenflow green
Taylormade M2 2017 HL 16.5 w/GD Tour AD DI stiff
TEE e8 22 & 25 hybrids/Recoil 460 F3

Mizuno 919 Hot Metal Pro's 5-PW/Nippon Modus 105
Snake Eyes 52 gap Rifle 5.0
Corey Paul forged 56 sand Rifle 5.0

TP Mills Sycamore
Spaulding TPM VIII
MannKrafted MA/99

I have always hit fairway woods well, especially off the deck. Meanwhile, after 20 years of trying, I have never got along with hybrids, so the choice was easy. I play Taylormade, 3HL, 5HL and 7HL.

10.5* Ping G400 max w/GD Tour AD IZ-4

16.5* Titleist TS2 FW

20* Titleist TS2 FW

22* TM M2 Hybrid

5~U Ping G710 w/recoils

54* Ping Glide 3.0 WS

58* Ping Glide 3.0 EYE2

Scotty Newport 2

I was fit onto a 7W last year at PING HQ. Man that club alone was worth the trip. Im not as long as others in this thread. I hit mine 170 to 180. But it is the most consistent club in my bag outside thd putter. High FAde thst judt gets in the air and lands softly.

My Arccos stats last year showed i hit more greens with it than i dod my 7 or 8 iron

• Like 1

:smilie_titty: TS1 9.0  Fubuki 45G Shaft
:smilie_ping: G410 5 & & FW Alta CB 65g
:smilie_ping: G410 4 hybrid Alta CB
:smilie_titty:T100S/T200 Jet Black Combo AMT Black R300 
Vokey SM 7 54/58

Vokey SM8 46*
TM Custom My Spider 35" 

ProV1X No. 12