Ping i59

johngalt312

On 8/4/2021 at 2:41 PM, kftgolfer said:

I don't think that is accurate. At least it was not for me. I remember the regular stainless Ping Eye 2 being around $699 for a set and then the Berylliums came out and they were either $100 or $200 more. I wanted a set and my father told me I had to save half the money for the purchase and I was able to scrounge up $400.

Eye 2 4-pw were $699

3-sw $899

BeCu started at $1299 [4-pw] went up too $1699 3-LW

Ping Sunday Bag
9 Clubs of Freedom

On 7/30/2021 at 7:10 PM, LALefty said:

I think it might be easier to count the full sets.  3 or 4 between the PGA and Euro Tours. Conners, Mahan, Nienaber and Veerman?  Another concern is other players put them in the bag and my last check on Ping's site showed those players have gone back to their old irons (mostly iBlades and i210's)

Obviously we still don't everything about this iron and nobody has hit it but it doesn't appear to the iron of all irons (compact, less offset, close to i210 forgiveness) that was speculated months ago and couple that with the $250 a club price tag...a lot of questions still to be answered

The whole extended build up to the i59 release is the most bizarre I can remember with a golf club of any type.  It's a particularly odd twist that Ping's pro tour players aren't using the lower irons in the set.

As for being the "iron of all irons" - can any iron ever be this?  There is always compromise between one aspect of performance and another.  i59s look great, but the hype has possibly been ramped up a tad high because of the long lead-in time from the images appearing onwards. 

• PING G400 Max 9* Tensei Orange 60g S
  • PING Anser 17 & 20* hybrids Graphite Design 85S
  • PING iBlades Green Dot CFS 80-S
  • PING Anser Forged wedges Blue Dot DG Spinner
  • PING PLD Anser (Trisole Carbon Steel) / PING Ketsch TR 400g CB

3 hours ago, ColinKelvin said:

The whole extended build up to the i59 release is the most bizarre I can remember with a golf club of any type.  It's a particularly odd twist that Ping's pro tour players aren't using the lower irons in the set.

As for being the "iron of all irons" - can any iron ever be this?  There is always compromise between one aspect of performance and another.  i59s look great, but the hype has possibly been ramped up a tad high because of the long lead-in time from the images appearing onwards. 

A few of the tour players do have them in the lower irons. I but going into next season more players will have them in the bag. 

11 minutes ago, Shakespeare said:

I wonder what the spin rate is on the pros who don't play the longer irons. If a 5 iron is suppose to spin 5000 rpms for them, does it spinning at 4900 mean they won't play it? Just kinda wondering how low spin it has to be not to game it...

There’s more to it than just the spin rate. Launch angles and descent angles matched in with spin rate is what they will look at. They can get away with a few hundred RPM’s less if their descent angles fall in the desired windows. Obviously if the spin rate is too low (as in like 5000 for a 7 iron) then it’s unplayable for these guys who need certain rates to hit guaranteed numbers. 

Who is playing a split set other than Hovland (who played a weird split set before) and 1 LPGA player? Is it really that widespread? I have heard of just these 2. If there are more then it would be interesting. If not, then it is a non-issue. 

Sim2 Max 9* Ventus Red 6x
Sim2 Max 3HL Tour AD HD 7s
Callaway UW 19* Trono 75s
PING G425 hybrid *22 Accra TZ5 95 m4
Titleist T100 5-P Modus 120x

SM8 50, 56F
Fourteen RM4 60H
Newport 2

1 hour ago, GoGatorsChomp said:

There’s more to it than just the spin rate. Launch angles and descent angles matched in with spin rate is what they will look at. They can get away with a few hundred RPM’s less if their descent angles fall in the desired windows. Obviously if the spin rate is too low (as in like 5000 for a 7 iron) then it’s unplayable for these guys who need certain rates to hit guaranteed numbers. 

Hovland mentioned forgiveness as the reason for choosing iblades so it may not be about spin rate. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, halfsumo said:

Who is playing a split set other than Hovland (who played a weird split set before) and 1 LPGA player? Is it really that widespread? I have heard of just these 2. If there are more then it would be interesting. If not, then it is a non-issue. 

There were a handful keeping their long irons in the bag while playing the i59s. Conners and Mahan were the only ones with full sets when they started popping up in player's bags.  It is a little misleading now because it looks like (based off of Pings Pros site) a good amount of those players have ditched the i59s completely and have gone back to their full sets of iBlades and i210s.

59 minutes ago, LALefty said:

There were a handful keeping their long irons in the bag while playing the i59s. Conners and Mahan were the only ones with full sets when they started popping up in player's bags.  It is a little misleading now because it looks like (based off of Pings Pros site) a good amount of those players have ditched the i59s completely and have gone back to their full sets of iBlades and i210s.

If that is accurate, that will be a big mis-step for Ping.  They had been on a roll, but this COVID seems to have just knocked them backwards.  

• Like 1

Might also mean they were only prototypes and will undergo some further development

• Like 3

Full WITB thread

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 @ 8.75

Taylormade RocketBallz 3 15*

Taylormade RocketBallz Tour 3 Hybrid 18.5

Mizuno MP 52 4-PW

Mizuno MP T-11 52/07

Wilson Staff PMP Wedge 56/14

Mizuno MP T-11 60/05

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

10 hours ago, Foreleft said:

Not likely, given that they have released in Asia.

It’s interesting because I did some digging into the pros bags section on the Ping website and those using the i59’s were listed as prototypes still. I feel like they need to announce something soon about this line or they’ll lose custom to Titleist with their new T launch and Taylormade will be launching soon. I’m borrowing irons at the moment so am desperate to get something sorted, looking like the new T100 could be the way to go with this Ping debacle. Was quoted November/December for i210’s over here in the UK or end of August for T100! 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, GoGatorsChomp said:

It’s interesting because I did some digging into the pros bags section on the Ping website and those using the i59’s were listed as prototypes still. I feel like they need to announce something soon about this line or they’ll lose custom to Titleist with their new T launch and Taylormade will be launching soon. I’m borrowing irons at the moment so am desperate to get something sorted, looking like the new T100 could be the way to go with this Ping debacle. Was quoted November/December for i210’s over here in the UK or end of August for T100! 

You can order on 8/24......9/12 expected ship date

What else do you need to know? These are not prototypes, these are the actual i59

I placed my order this week

Edited by animalgolfs
  • Thanks 1

Ping Sunday Bag
9 Clubs of Freedom

57 minutes ago, Clemsongolfer8 said:

Just curious how did you order them if presale isn’t until 8/24?

To Ping rep:

"When these are available to be ordered- here are my specs...."

Rep: "Thanks can't place until the 24th....."

Edited by animalgolfs
  • Like 3

Ping Sunday Bag
9 Clubs of Freedom

Interesting as that shows it’s a hollow body when rep told me it was solid. If that’s true and high price being speculated, looking like these will be off my list. So sad. Maybe the blueprints will come down some in price as they’re still an option. 

Edited by hackalot

Cobra Fly-Z+ Driver
Cobra F8+ 4/5 wood

Titleist 913hd 18 hybrid
Ping S55 3-pw x100
Ping Glide 54/58
Scotty Newport 2

On 8/4/2021 at 12:41 PM, kftgolfer said:

I remember the regular stainless Ping Eye 2 being around $699 for a set and then the Berylliums came out and they were either $100 or $200 more. I wanted a set and my father told me I had to save half the money for the purchase and I was able to scrounge up $400.

Yes, your memory is correct.

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

1 hour ago, hackalot said:

Interesting as that shows it’s a hollow body when rep told me it was solid. If that’s true and high price being speculated, looking like these will be off my list. So sad. Maybe the blueprints will come down some in price as they’re still an option. 

I heard today approx £1300-£1400 when they arrive in the UK so $1750 for US wouldn’t surprise me. They basically look like the blueprint on steroids the more I see of them. The retailer I spoke to thought they were going to be hollow body too. 

36 minutes ago, GoGatorsChomp said:

I heard today approx £1300-£1400 when they arrive in the UK so $1750 for US wouldn’t surprise me. They basically look like the blueprint on steroids the more I see of them. The retailer I spoke to thought they were going to be hollow body too. 

Yep. $1750 for 7 piece set $250 per club has been confirmed by a couple people here with direct pricing access. 

• Like 1

:smilie_titty: TSi1   9.0 Aldila Ascent 40g 
:smilie_titty: TSi2 16.5 FW GD IZ5

:smilie_titty:TSi1 20 & 23 Hybrid Aldial Ascent 50g
:smilie_titty:2021 T300 5-P Tensei Red R Flex
Vokey SM 8 46/54/58 

PING Tyne 4 35" 

ProV1X No. 12

Not going to rule them out based on price alone since I really seem to get along with Ping irons.  With that being said, they better be really good for me.  I’ve blind bought irons in the past, but for this price I’m going for a fitting.  Just patiently waiting for fitters in my area to get them in their fitting carts.  No one in my area has them yet as far as I know.

• Like 1

Ping G30 Tour AD DI
Ping G25 3 wood VTS Silver
Ping i25 KBS Tour
Vokey 54, 58
Cameron fastback

4 minutes ago, kingbing said:

Not going to rule them out based on price alone since I really seem to get along with Ping irons.  With that being said, they better be really good for me.  I’ve blind bought irons in the past, but for this price I’m going for a fitting.  Just patiently waiting for fitters in my area to get them in their fitting carts.  No one in my area has them yet as far as I know.

Should be in fitting carts around the 24th of this month. 

I find it intriguing that in the J market, there's only one stock shaft that's 130g. s200 is as heavy as it gets, but it seems Japan is sorta over full-mass shafts. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

410LST 8º, 3w 14.5º, 3h 19º, i210 4i, Blueprint 5-P, Glide Forged 50/54/58. Ping Tour x & MMT105tx shafts. Sigma2 Fetch w/ BGT.