Ping i59

johngalt312

3 hours ago, Shakespeare said:

Interesting that they are hollow, but same loft as one piece forged blueprints.

The clue is in the name.

Blueprints are essentially the same-ish thing, but they had to try out the concept first.

Now they hollow them and insert a piece for what they hope is the same insane consistency of blueprints, but with a bit more forgiveness and distance. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• Like 1

Ping-logo-283444624.jpeg 410LST 9º (TourX) RogueST 3D (ADDI 6X) [OMG what?], 425 3w 14.5º (TourX), 430 3h 19º & 4 iCross (HZRDUS Red 6.0), i230 5-U, G4 54º, GFP 59º (DART105F4). 2021 Fetch (BGT Tour Black).

"Golf is just a dance with a stick, and a ball tells you how good a dancer you are."  LCP150mm in your fairway should be a full-time rule.

4 hours ago, karstens_ghost said:

The clue is in the name.

Blueprints are essentially the same-ish thing, but they had to try out the concept first.

Now they hollow them and insert a piece for what they hope is the same insane consistency of blueprints, but with a bit more forgiveness and distance. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Thats my thought as well.  The “blueprint” was simply the beta test of what could be done with a barely hollow iron.  The i59 is the actualization.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 w/ Tensei CK Pro Orange 60S

Fairway: TTE E8 Beta w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 110 70S

Driving Iron:  PXG 0311X 2i w/ Tensei CK Pro White 90S

Hybrid:  PXG 0317X Gen2 19o w/ Tensei CK Pro Orange 90S

Irons:  PXG 0311P Gen4 5-G w/ AeroTech SteelFiber 115fc S

Wedges:  Taylormade MG2 56o & 60o

Putter:  Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

13 hours ago, karstens_ghost said:

The clue is in the name.

I'm sure it's too deter i500 feel mishits

It's the sole reason I've placed my order- loved i500 size, hated feel on off center strikes 

9 Clubs Sunday Bag

UST Mamiya - Lamkin - RXS 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/topic/1840618-witb-731-full-bag/

2 hours ago, animalgolfs said:

I'm sure it's too deter i500 feel mishits

It's the sole reason I've placed my order- loved i500 size, hated feel on off center strikes 

The i500 felt like I was hitting a stone with a piece of 2x4, I thought it was awful. Was having a little play around in a retailers fitting booth on the weekend and if they can get the blueprint feel with a bit more size and forgiveness to it then they’re on to a winner. Hit the middle of the blueprint and it is absolutely outrageous, miss it slightly and you’re in trouble so hopefully the i59 can give some help on those off centre strikes. 

• Thanks 1

Put this Japanese review through google translate. 

Distance performance ★★★★ ☆ (4/5)
Shot feeling ★★★★ ☆ (4/5)
Operability ★★★★★ (5/5)
Ease of climbing ★★★★ ☆ (4/5)
Comprehensive evaluation ★★★★ ☆ (4/5) Pin i59 Iron features
Pin i59 iron
The compact and sharp form of the "i59 iron" is reminiscent of the famous "S59 iron" that once gained tremendous support from athlete golfers. However, although both are blade irons that look similar, there is a big difference between the "i" and "S".

"S59 Iron" is an orthodox half cavity with a stainless steel head. On the other hand, the "i59 iron" adopts a composite structure in which an aluminum alloy core is inserted into the hollow part of the soft iron forged body and stainless steel face. This new structure makes it an iron that combines the advantages of a blade iron with the feel and operability of a hollow iron.

feature
Equipped with "aluminum core insert" that balances feel and forgiveness
"Wrought iron forged body" adopted for the first time on the pin realizes the best feel
Equipped with 17 grooves "Micromax Groove" that stabilizes spin
Features 1. Equipped with "aluminum core insert" that achieves both feel and forgiveness

Pin i59 iron
The hollow iron has advantages such as strength against miss hits and ease of raising the ball due to its deep center of gravity and high moment of inertia. On the other hand, general hollow irons tend to resonate inside the head and are evaluated as having a poor feel.

The "i59 Iron" is equipped with an "aluminum core insert" that has a light specific gravity and a vibration suppression effect between the face and body in order to take advantage of it and eliminate the disadvantages. It has both high forgiveness due to peripheral weight distribution and a solid feel like a blade iron.

ADVERTISEMENT

Feature 2. The "wrought iron forged body", which is the first pin to be used, realizes the best feel.

For a long time, a stainless steel cast body with excellent shape reproducibility has been adopted for the pin iron, but for the "i59 iron", a soft iron forged body was adopted for the first time.

The 1025 carbon steel used in the body of the "i59 iron" is the same material as the familiar S25C, and gives a clear shot sound and a soft feel peculiar to low carbon steel.

In addition, the body has a hollow structure, and a high specific density weight is mounted on the toe to achieve the largest weight peripheral distribution for a blade type compact iron. It is an iron that is resistant to miss hits.

Feature 3. Equipped with 17-groove "Micromax Groove" that stabilizes spin

What I noticed with the "i59 Iron" is that the number of score lines on the face has increased. Recently, the number of grooves has increased even in wedges that emphasize spin performance, but the number of grooves in the "i59 iron" has also increased significantly from 13 to 17.

In addition, the cross-sectional shape of the groove and the distance between the grooves have been reviewed from the beginning, which increases the frictional force between the face and the ball under various conditions such as rough and wet grass. With a stable amount of spin, you can aim at the target with the trajectory you imagined.

Ping i59 iron specs
The loft angle of 7I is 34 degrees. As a recent compound iron, the loft angle is set to lie down, and it can be seen that the aim is more important than the flight distance. The standard shafts include the new Nippon Shaft "N.S.PRO MODUS3 TOUR115" and "N.S.PRO 850GH neo".

Manufacturer pin
Product name i59 iron
Head Material Body: 1025 Carbon Steel Forged
Face: 17-4 stainless steel
Insert: ADC12
Count / loft angle 3I / 20 degrees
4I / 23.5 degrees
5I / 27 degrees
6I / 30.5 degrees
7I / 34 degrees
8I / 38 degrees
9I / 42 degrees
PW / 46 degrees
Shaft carbon: ALTA J CB SLATE
Steel: N.S.PRO MODUS3 TOUR115, N.S.PRO MODUS3 TOUR105, N.S.PRO 950GH neo, N.S.PRO 850GH neo, DG EX TOUR ISSUE
Length (# 7) 37 inches (steel)
Weight / Balance (# 7) Approx. 431g / D2 (N.S.PRO MODUS3 TOUR105), Approx. 443g / D2 (DG EX TOUR ISSUE / S200)
Price ● Carbon
1 bottle: 41,800 yen (tax included)

● Steel (other than DG EX TOUR ISSUE)
1 bottle: 38,500 yen (tax included)

● DG EX TOUR ISSUE
1 bottle: 40,700 yen (tax included)
Official Website Pin Golf Japan Official Website
Ping i59 Iron Trial Review
Could a completely new structure and new groove shape overturn the conventional blade iron? Yoshiaki Takahashi seriously evaluated the ease of holding, the ease of hitting, the feel of hitting, the operability, and the flight distance performance of the "i59 iron".

Trial hit review
It's easy to fit straight, and it gives you a great sense of security when you hold it.
The head comes off well and you can operate the ball muscle as you imagined
Since the head behavior and spin amount are stable, it flies on average.
It's easy to fit straight, and it gives you a great sense of security when you hold it.

Pin i59 iron
It has a very clean straight neck, so you can hold it straight without any hesitation against the target. Since there are many grooves, it may look like that, but there is an image that it looks very compact and seems to be very easy to operate.

However, the part that does not seem to be so difficult can be said to be the feature of "i59 iron". The heels are tall and feel like wrapping the ball, so you can rest assured.

The feel of hitting is also very good. The moment it hits, it makes a slightly hard sound, but the feel of the ball that is transmitted to the palm is extremely soft. The body is forged with soft iron, and it seems that there is an effect that aluminum is contained in the core instead of just hollow.

ADVERTISEMENT

The head comes off well and you can operate the ball muscle as you imagined

The "i59 iron" is a compact and slender iron that is very easy to control as it looks.

Although the sole width is narrow, the sole is quite effective, so the sole can be pulled out easily, and you can insert the head as you imagined and swing it out as it is, so you can operate the ball muscle as you like. If you hit it from the heel, the ball will rise by the fade rotation, and if you hit it from the toe, the ball will be firmly grasped and you can fly it by the draw rotation.

For this size, it is hard to lose even if the hitting point moves up, down, left and right, and the spin amount does not change so much even if you hit from various lie, so it is an iron that makes you want to actively aim at the target.

Since the head behavior and spin amount are stable, it flies on average.

Since it is a blade iron with a loft of 7th and 34 degrees, it should not be a club that originally flies, but it seems that it will fly more than I thought. This may be because the sole is easy to pull out, the behavior of the head at impact is calm, and the spin amount is stable, so even if you make a slight miss hit, the distance will not drop.

As a matter of fact, it is strong against mistakes, and even if you hit it under the heel, the flight distance loss is small, and if you hit it on the toe, there is almost no difference in distance from when you hit it with the core.

The "i59 iron" does not fly as much as a flying iron, but it is an iron that can reduce the number of shots that do not fly and compete with an average flight distance.

People who recommend Ping i59 irons
Pin i59 iron
For those who want to use cool irons, the first thing I would like you to try is the "i59 iron". It looks like a perfect athlete, but it has a loft and the ball goes up, so it has a surprisingly wide pocket, and I think that if you are intermediate or above, you can hit it well. It is not suitable for people who want to fly with irons, but it is also recommended for people who want to stabilize the distance.

It is also suitable for people who want to draw or fade because they can control the ball muscle just by changing the RBI. Especially, I would like advanced users who have been using the blade type for a long time to try it.

Compared to muscle back, the feel is not inferior to that of muscle back, and it is resistant to mistakes and you can easily hit the same distance. If you hit it, you will be amazed at the amazing evolution of the latest blade irons.

Ping i59 iron rating
In a nutshell, it's a club that adds only the strengths of blade irons and hollow irons. The appearance is neat and it is easy to get an image of the ball muscles, and the head is easy to pull out and the hit feeling is soft, so you can easily hit the ball muscles on the left, right, top and bottom.

On the other hand, the ball is firmly grasped, it is strong against miss hits, and the amount of spin is stable even if the hitting point shifts or the lie changes. Especially, it is difficult to fly from the rough, so I think it is easy to calculate the distance.

The "i59 iron" is an iron that can be easily flown with a ball line that imagines the desired distance

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cjlayer30 said:

Is there a side by side picture of the i59 and the blueprint? Wondering about blade length. Kind of hoping the i59 clubhead is closer in size to the iblade than the blueprint.

I'll confirm that in hand it looks/sized more like iBlade, not at all like Blueprint. 👍 

(EDIT: I handled a finished golf club with what is going to be the i59's stock shaft, a Project X LS) 

Edited by Kenny Lee Puckett
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Without more info, this seems like such a weird club. There’s nothing really like it, hollow with insert, but not a foam insert. I kinda feel like it could be really good, but its also the sort thing it might be smart to wait and see on (especially at $250ea). Also seems like the sorta thing where the second generation model is where it gets perfected, but the given the time it took to replace the iblade, well, waiting that long isnt an option either.

• Like 1

I hit the 7 iron today with the low spin PX shaft off mats.  I was expecting a bigger head but it was compact without being Blueprint small.  I think it looks sharp, and reminded me a little of my 919 Tours.  Needless to say depending on what the no up charge shafts are, I will seriously be considering them.  Felt much better than the i500s.  What I did note was how consistent they were.  I was in trousers, shirt and work shoes and hit probably 30 balls, and you could have thrown a large picnic blanket over the dispersion.  Mishits were also pretty good.  Currently play the MP-20 MMC which I love, but the i59 looks clean.

• Like 3

G430 LST 9*
G15 17.5*
G425 19*
W/S Blade 3-P
S22 51* Zipcore 56* S20 60*
Sigma 2 Arna Stealth

1 hour ago, beluga99 said:

I hit the 7 iron today with the low spin PX shaft off mats.  I was expecting a bigger head but it was compact without being Blueprint small.  I think it looks sharp, and reminded me a little of my 919 Tours.  Needless to say depending on what the no up charge shafts are, I will seriously be considering them.  Felt much better than the i500s.  What I did note was how consistent they were.  I was in trousers, shirt and work shoes and hit probably 30 balls, and you could have thrown a large picnic blanket over the dispersion.  Mishits were also pretty good.  Currently play the MP-20 MMC which I love, but the i59 looks clean.

How about the offset and the shape? It looks rather boxy in the pics.. How about the topline, is is iBlade-like?

G430 Max 10K Hzrdus RDX Red 60 / Ping G430 Max 5fw KBS TD 70 / Titleist TSi2 4Hy  Tensei CK Pro Orange 80HY 

Ping iBlade 4-PW Modus3 120 / Cleveland RTX2.0 50° DG S200 / Ping Glide3.0 56° DG TI S400 / Ping Glide4.0 60° DG TI S400

Scotty Cameron Phantom 7.5 Stability Tour / Titleist ProV1x

2 hours ago, Hedgehog said:

How about the offset and the shape? It looks rather boxy in the pics.. How about the topline, is is iBlade-like?

I haven't hit the iBlade for a few years but from memory the iBlade shape was more rounded.  I wouldn't say the i59 are boxy.  Sharper lines maybe.  I definitely prefer the look of the i59.  There's no CTP on the back, which makes it seem more compact.  If I had to guess, the i59 has a slightly shorter blade length than the iBlade.  Similar top line.  I definitely prefer the look of the new offering.  It sets up very nicely behind the ball. 

• Like 2

G430 LST 9*
G15 17.5*
G425 19*
W/S Blade 3-P
Sigma 2 Arna Stealth

2 hours ago, beluga99 said:

I haven't hit the iBlade for a few years but from memory the iBlade shape was more rounded.  I wouldn't say the i59 are boxy.  Sharper lines maybe.  I definitely prefer the look of the i59.  There's no CTP on the back, which makes it seem more compact.  If I had to guess, the i59 has a slightly shorter blade length than the iBlade.  Similar top line.  I definitely prefer the look of the new offering.  It sets up very nicely behind the ball. 

f*** I don't need new irons, but all these reviews aren't helping.

• Like 1

I repeat...

Futurama Reaction GIF

.I hope my fitter gets these soon and/or my club gets one in the fitting cart.  3-PW please.  My only issue is I want to move to graphite, so I can't just throw these ctapers in there.  Also, I would like to check spin and launch.  So gotta fit...

Wonder if they will power spec them?  Might help keep spin and launch in line for me. Iblades spun too much, i500 slightly low spin, but higher launch...i210 I just couldn't hit at all.  S55 I could spin back a 5i on a good day...but they went so high.  

• Like 2

PING G430 LST 10* Tensei 1K Pro Orange 50S

PING G430 LST 3Wd 16.0* Fujikura XLR8 61

PING iCrossover Ventus Blue HB 7R

PING i525 4-PW Mitsubishi OTi 105 Stiff

Edel 47* TRP/54* DVR/58* DVR KBS CTaper Lite 110 Stiff

PING PLD DZB Proto

15 minutes ago, WarEagleGolf said:

I repeat...

Futurama Reaction GIF

.I hope my fitter gets these soon and/or my club gets one in the fitting cart.  3-PW please.  My only issue is I want to move to graphite, so I can't just throw these ctapers in there.  Also, I would like to check spin and launch.  So gotta fit...

Wonder if they will power spec them?  Might help keep spin and launch in line for me. Iblades spun too much, i500 slightly low spin, but higher launch...i210 I just couldn't hit at all.  S55 I could spin back a 5i on a good day...but they went so high.  

You must like high spinning Ping irons.    i500 in power spec probably were your ticket......I'd be shocked if these i59 don't spin lower than iBlade

• Like 1

9 Clubs Sunday Bag

On 8/5/2021 at 6:27 PM, animalgolfs said:

Eye 2 4-pw were $699

3-sw $899

BeCu started at $1299 [4-pw] went up too $1699 3-LW

$699 in 1985 dollars today is $1765

$1299 is $3280 today

FWIW

• Like 1

Ping G410 Driver
Cally Epic 4 Wood

Founders Club 200 Series MBs or BeCu Ping Eye2 or MacGregor CB92s, Ping Eye2 SW

Ping Zing2, MyDay in BeCu or Goodwood SS Sunday

2 minutes ago, Pesce101010 said:

How do they feel?  I play i210's are they comparable at all?  Hopefully don't feel like i500's.  Thanks 

Squarely between i500 - iblade & blueprints.....to me they felt closer to the blueprint on center strikes. The i500 miss feel was gone- felt like a iBlade toe miss - still harsh but nowhere i500 harsh 

• Like 2

9 Clubs Sunday Bag

11 hours ago, animalgolfs said:

You must like high spinning Ping irons.    i500 in power spec probably were your ticket......I'd be shocked if these i59 don't spin lower than iBlade

I have regular spec i500.  Got the spin, for me at least, down slightly below "normal" but still reasonable.  Higher peak height helps. 

I found the iblade to spin too much..so i59 probably my ticket...😈

Or I just want new irons after 3 yrs!

PING G430 LST 10* Tensei 1K Pro Orange 50S

PING G430 LST 3Wd 16.0* Fujikura XLR8 61

PING iCrossover Ventus Blue HB 7R

PING i525 4-PW Mitsubishi OTi 105 Stiff

Edel 47* TRP/54* DVR/58* DVR KBS CTaper Lite 110 Stiff

PING PLD DZB Proto

3 hours ago, animalgolfs said:

Squarely between i500 - iblade & blueprints.....to me they felt closer to the blueprint on center strikes. The i500 miss feel was gone- felt like a iBlade toe miss - still harsh but nowhere i500 harsh 

This is a good summary.  Flushed they feel as good as anything but didn't clank when you miss the centre.  Very consistent distance wise though from my limited experience.  They also spun slightly lower 5500rpm vs 6000rpm against my MMC.

G430 LST 9*
G15 17.5*
G425 19*
W/S Blade 3-P
Sigma 2 Arna Stealth

3 hours ago, beluga99 said:

This is a good summary.  Flushed they feel as good as anything but didn't clank when you miss the centre.  Very consistent distance wise though from my limited experience.  They also spun slightly lower 5500rpm vs 6000rpm against my MMC.

How Is the forgiveness compared to your MMCs? I play an MP-18 combo (MB & SC) and am looking for a more forgiving set, without loosing to much feel wise. Thanks.

9 minutes ago, Nic1972 said:

How Is the forgiveness compared to your MMCs? I play an MP-18 combo (MB & SC) and am looking for a more forgiving set, without loosing to much feel wise. Thanks.

Based on the 30 or so balls I hit with the i59 7 iron I thought it was similar.  I must admit I thought the MP-18 SC and MMC are better than average when it comes to forgiveness.  My experience with Ping irons (i20, IE and i210s) is that they engineer maximum forgiveness into a whatever size head you're looking down at.  Once you hit them I would be astounded if you don't find them more forgiving than your current set.  Bare in mind forgiveness is probably fifth on my list of requirements in a new iron.  When I picked up the i59 my immediate reactions was it was smaller than expected, it looked awesome, very muted appearance, players iron by the ball, felt great, launched and spun consistently (off a mat) and went straight. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

G430 LST 9*
G15 17.5*
G425 19*
W/S Blade 3-P
Sigma 2 Arna Stealth

On 8/10/2021 at 2:56 PM, animalgolfs said:

This is exciting to hear. I'm hoping the fitting head comes in before the 24th so I can put the order in right away. 

PING G430 Max 9* • Tensei 1K Pro Orange 6S
PING G430 3 Wood • Tensei 1K Pro Blue 7S
Titleist TSR2 3 Hybrid • Tensei 1K Hybrid 80S

T200 4 Iron • Hzrdus 6.0

PING Blueprint S 5-PW • AWT 2.0 X

Vokey 50.12F, 54.10S, 58.08M • DG TI S400 Onyx

Odyssey 2-Ball Eleven • BGT Stability Tour