Ping i59

johngalt312

Pricey but if they are a unicorn iron, I could be using these for 5+ years. 

• Like 2

TSi3 9* RDX Smoke Black 6.5
M5 15* Kuro Kago Silver 75x
Rescue 11 18* Diamana D+ 90x
P790 4 S400
MP-20 MMC 5-PW S400
Vokey SM6 Black 52/56/60 S400
Newport Mil-Spec 350g / Byron 006 / Laguna Pro Platinum / White Hot RX #7 / Stroke Lab Double Wide Flowneck

13 minutes ago, tdeutmeyer said:

I wonder how long it will take before the aluminum inserts come loose....

It's welded inside the head so I'd hope not.

Driver: SIM 10.5* playing @ 8.5* | Fujikura Ventus Black 6x - 46"
3 Wood: TS2 15* | Mitsubishi MMT 75TX

5 Wood: SIM Max 18.5* | Mitsubishi MMT 85TX

3i: P770 @ 21* | Mitsubishi MMT 125TX
4-PW: Ping Blueprint Red Dot Power Spec | Mitsubishi MMT 125TX
Wedges: 50&54&60: Ping Glide Forged | Mitsubishi MMT 125TX
Putter: Sik Pro C-Series | Armlock

I mean, I am PING fan, so will probably buy these at some point, but I literally just took delivery of a set of Mizuno's yesterday 😆.  Red dot, MMT 105TX will be the ones. The best/worst thing I've done this past year was drop the 4 iron so that now my iron sets are 5-PW which means less expensive. If I ever decide to drop the PW for a specialty *46, I will be in trouble. Hmmmm

• Like 2

Sim2 Max 9* Ventus Red 6x
Sim2 Max 3HL Tour AD HD 7s
Callaway UW 19* Trono 75s
PING G425 hybrid *22 Accra TZ5 95 m4
Titleist T100 5-P Modus 120x

SM8 50, 56F
Fourteen RM4 60H
Newport 2

Okay..like others have done...hit the 7 iron from the fitting cart be with the project x ls shaft...compared to i210 with accra graphite shafts. Not apples to apples I know..but trying to compare numbers. The i59 look great. A bigger blueprint in my opinion. Numbers wise...almost exactly the same between the two. Ball speed, apex, carry,spin all the same. Literally that close. So..what does that mean if they had the same shaft? I would think the I59 would have a little more in each category. Feel wise, believe it or not the 210s "felt" softer. Probably the graphite. I think the blueprints and i59 feel identical. Solid, but maybe not "soft" It really is a nice looking club in person.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tdeutmeyer said:

Can't weld aluminum to steel

Yes you can.

I can't wait to try these out. My wallet is prepared for any irrational decision.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Signature!

DRIVER: Ping G425 Max 10.5° Aldila Rogue 70S

4W: G425 17.5° @ 16.5° | GD AD DI 7S

4H: G425 22° @ 23° | Ping Tour 85R

IRONS: Ping i59 5-PW | Modus 105S

WEDGES: Ping Glide Forged Pro 50.10 | Modus 105S / Ping Glide Forged Pro 54.10 & 58.10 | DG S400 TI

PUTTER: Ping 2021 Anser | KBS CT TOUR

I hit the 7 iron head from the fit cart a short time ago.  I put the LS in just to see how it felt and the numbers it would produce.  Flight scope gave me 5400 spin which I think is too low.   I play $tapers in my MCCs, plan to try i59 with them and the KBS tour.  Love the look of the head. Agree with most soft but firm feel, I would definitely be happy with them.  I think I’ll be waiting for them to get out to the masses and get some real reviews.  I like the idea of having a 17-4 face.  I live in NC, I would think the face will hold up better to the sandy soil I play on.

Ping G425 LST AV Raw Orange 65 TX
Titleist TSi2 15* AV Raw Blue 75 TX

Titleist TSi2 21* AV Raw Blue 75TX
Ping G410 4h Evenflow 6.0
Mizuno MP20 MMC 5-P KBS $Taper S
Ping Pro Forged 50
Ping Pro Forged 54
Ping Pro Forged 58
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Snell MTB X

TaylorMade 2016 M1 460 9.5 Matrix Ozik RUL 70X
TaylorMade P790 UDI 2 iron Mitsubishi TENSEI CK Pro White Hybrid 100 TX
Ping G400 3-Hybrid Graphite Design Tour AD DI Hybrid 105 X
Ping i 4-PW Nippon Modus 3 125X
Ping Glide 50SS & 56SS Nippon C10S
Titleist Vokey Low Bounce K 60 Nippon Modus 3 125 X
TaylorMade Spider Tour Black

I like the look, size and the concept behind the tech, but am confused as to why they used a "forged" body/frame. Just to be able to market it as "forged" I'd guess?

One of the greatest things about Ping irons has always been durability, and with a forged frame, which likely adds nothing to feel, I'm afraid these will show significant bag chatter and wear. 

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

5 minutes ago, dpb5031 said:

I like the look, size and the concept behind the tech, but am confused as to why they used a "forged" body/frame. Just to be able to market it as "forged" I'd guess?

One of the greatest things about Ping irons has always been durability, and with a forged frame, which likely adds nothing to feel, I'm afraid these will show significant bag chatter and wear. 

It might not be fair to say that the forged frame adds nothing to feel. It might not be fair to assume that all of the "feel" comes from the part that actually hits the ball, the face. It's quite possible, even likely, that (in this case) all 3 components: face, frame & insert, work together to create the feel. I mean, Mizuno will tell you that the grain flow direction of the metals in the hosel impact feel. Perhaps it'd be better to think of an iron head like this like a golf ball. It's not only the cover that gives you feel, but also the mantle and the core. Change the mantle or core and you change the feel.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, tdeutmeyer said:

Can't weld aluminum to steel

I know you were responding to the previous poster, has anyone see where it says that they are "welding" the aluminum to steel? I've seen references to swaging. I am familiar with swaging, which is a process you use to reshape metal. Based on what I've seen from the design, and the references to swaging, I wonder if they put the aluminum insert into the frame and then swage it, i.e. expand it in different directions, so that it's mechanically connected to the frame. So it'd be physically touching the frame in a lot of places but not necessarily "welded".

• Like 1

I'm thinking of picking up a set of iBlades because I can't justify the cost of the i59's. They look amazing and I'm sure they're just as great as I think they'll be, but realistically am I going to see 5 yards+ more distance compared to the iBlade at the same spec? I'm not so sure...

I think the i59's are priced appropriately based on how the golf industry is booming, but I'm struggling to decide if I actually need them. 

WITB:

Titleist TSi2 - 9° Ventus Blue Velocore 5S

Srixon ZX - 15° Tour AD DI 6S

Callaway Apex UW - 17° Ventus Blue Velocore 7S

Sub 70 939X 21° 4H - Ventus Blue HB Velocore 7S

Callaway Mavrik Pro 4-PW - KBS Tour-V 110S

Jaws MD5: 50°-10°S, 54°-10°S, 58°-12°X

Finch Lawson Proto - Swan Neck Face Balanced Blade - 36" 

Half Set:

TSi2 - 9°, 17° UW or 18° H, GEOM Moe: 21°, 29°, 37°, 45° Jaws MD5 - 54° and Putter

20 hours ago, CasualLie said:

Water repelling finish.  That seems important... 🙃

$250/club is just nuts.  Too bad....would have been fun to try.

I initially agreed with this sentiment. But if you keep them for the entire product cycle it, in the end it is cheaper then getting new clubs every year/or two. 

Just a thought. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RacineBoxer said:

It might not be fair to say that the forged frame adds nothing to feel. It might not be fair to assume that all of the "feel" comes from the part that actually hits the ball, the face. It's quite possible, even likely, that (in this case) all 3 components: face, frame & insert, work together to create the feel. I mean, Mizuno will tell you that the grain flow direction of the metals in the hosel impact feel. Perhaps it'd be better to think of an iron head like this like a golf ball. It's not only the cover that gives you feel, but also the mantle and the core. Change the mantle or core and you change the feel.

Well that may be, but in my extensive experience (I'm getting old) and as a low hc/scratch player I firmly believe that mass behind the sweet spot, as in a true one piece muscle back blade, is what primarily provides what most think of as that traditional buttery pure "forged feel." I've yet to hit a cavity back, thin faced, or multi-material iron that provides that same feel, regardless of forged or cast, though there are plenty that feel better than others. I will give props to Mizuno though, as they really tune their designs for a certain sound frequency, which contributes to feel.

I honestly think Ping forged the frames of these to check off a marketing box, knowing that players of certain demographics won't even consider a club that isn't "forged."

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

Most reviews seem to be positive but far from “revolutionary”.

I think one of the irons this actually needs to compete with is the T100S and T200. Especially it seems like Titleist has hit a home run with the T200 in terms of packing performance into a pretty small footprint, so I’m not entirely sure how much market Ping will be picking up with this or if it’s for Ping enthusiasts only. 

• Sad 1