Ping i59

johngalt312

“Perhaps I'm old and tired, but I think that the chances of finding out what's actually going on are so absurdly remote that the only thing to do is to say, "Hang the sense of it," and keep yourself busy. I'd much rather be happy than right any day.”

Slartibartfast

Hit the 7i fitting head with the Nippon 105s today. I like...alot.  Would have to power spec or get a lower spin/launch shaft, but they feel amazing, and are pretty forgiving.  Ball jumps off the face, feels exactly like BP or S55 to me...could feel much less "vibration" coming from i500 to these.  Put i500 8i (not power spec) against the 7i (also not power spec.  

Flight really consistent, dispersion was great.  High on the face is penal.  Everything else, all good.  I tend to hit just slightly out towards the toe and low on the face (negative angle of attack). 

Will get some #'s and decide.   Won't be able to try them in my ctapers, but Nippon is close in launch/weight.  

Biggest question for me is to power spec or not...need to keep that clean gap at the top of my bag, plus need to bring them down.  Few hundred RPM of spin loss+extra distance should make them really good.  But how bad will the offset be?  Offset is slightly noticable, and the blade looks smaller but side by side with the i500 8, really wasn't smaller...thinner top line, and looks smaller behind the ball? Sure...

Told my pro today, they bring this alumicore to the I500 then it's a game changer.  I will probably wait to see but these are beautiful.  

• Like 3

PING G430 LST 10* Tensei 1K Pro Orange 50S

PING G430 LST 3Wd 16.0* Fujikura XLR8 61

PING iCrossover Ventus Blue HB 7R

PING i525 4-PW Mitsubishi OTi 105 Stiff

Edel 47* TRP/54* DVR/58* DVR KBS CTaper Lite 110 Stiff

PING PLD DZB Proto

• Like 1

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 4 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

44 minutes ago, BirdieBob said:

So, in conclusion, a cutting edge (over priced) iron for highly-skilled golfers. The "Bay" going to see a lot of the these I'm afraid.

• Like 1

Driver: Ping G430 Max (10.5) - Ventus (Velocore) Blue 5S
3 Wood: Ping G425 Max (14.5 Degree) - Ventus (Velocore) Red 5S
5 Wood: Ping G425 Max (17.5 Degree) - CB Alta 65S
9 Wood: Ping G430 Max (23 Degree) - CB Alta Black 65S 

5 Hybrid: Ping G425 (26 Degree) - CB Alta 70S

Titleist T150 8-PW KBS $ Taper (115)  

Titleist T200 6/7 KBS $ Taper (115)

Vokey (49/53) Degree) SM8 F Grind - KBS Tour (120)
Vokey (58 Degree) SM7 S Grind - KBS Tour (120)
Putter: Scotty  - Special Select Newport 2.5

21 minutes ago, Tdsjfb said:

So, in conclusion, a cutting edge (over priced) iron for highly-skilled golfers. The "Bay" going to see a lot of the these I'm afraid.

Well I'm going for accurate, consistent repeating shots....34 38 42 degrees 

Doubt they find eBay, especially since my s56 are showing signs of end life

To each his own...but they going in my bag 7-9 irons

• Like 1

9 Clubs Sunday Bag

UST Mamiya - Lamkin - RXS 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/topic/1840618-witb-731-full-bag/

1 hour ago, Tdsjfb said:

Perfect! Someone doesn't like their i59's and have orange color dot and x flex shafts let me know next year.

QI10 9 ventus TR blue 6x

QI10 tour 3 15 ventus TR blue 7x

Stealth plus 19 kaili blue 80tx

P770/MC tour issue x100

MG3 50 tour issue s400

MG3 56TW tour issue s400

MG3 60TW tour issue s400

Taylormade MYTP Soto

Prov1x

Vessel VLS lux

2 minutes ago, bobbyclampett!! said:

This thread continues to baffle. I watched that TXG review and thought "Finally, someone got the story of these right- an iron that emphasizes accuracy, consistency, and control, rather than mega-distance, speed, high launch, etc., while still giving you higher MOI and forgiveness than a traditional blade." Someone else watches the same video and concludes that a lot of these sets will end up on eBay.

I think part of the problem is that the story here is subtle, and subtlety is not our era's strong suit. I continue to think these will be truly amazing irons for anyone from a tour pro to a decent iron player who values consistency rather than speed, distance, and high launch.

All reactions/experiences are personal. But if what they reported is true, those 5-10 handicappers who think they can hit this consistently - to gain it's benefit - likely might be disappointed.

• Like 1

Driver: Ping G430 Max (10.5) - Ventus (Velocore) Blue 5S
3 Wood: Ping G425 Max (14.5 Degree) - Ventus (Velocore) Red 5S
5 Wood: Ping G425 Max (17.5 Degree) - CB Alta 65S
9 Wood: Ping G430 Max (23 Degree) - CB Alta Black 65S 

5 Hybrid: Ping G425 (26 Degree) - CB Alta 70S

Titleist T150 8-PW KBS $ Taper (115)  

Titleist T200 6/7 KBS $ Taper (115)

Vokey (49/53) Degree) SM8 F Grind - KBS Tour (120)
Vokey (58 Degree) SM7 S Grind - KBS Tour (120)
Putter: Scotty  - Special Select Newport 2.5

3 minutes ago, Tdsjfb said:

All reactions/experiences are personal. But if what they reported is true, those 5-10 handicappers who think they can hit this consistently - to gain it's benefit - likely might be disappointed.

Well Viktor Hovland has gone back to his I210's because he found them to be more consistent strokes gained (more forgiving) but yeah you 10 handicappers go and buy a 3-PW set of these I59's 🤪

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9*

Adams XTD Ti 3 wood 14.5*

Cobra SZ 17* hybrid

Adams DHY 21*

Cobra King forged TEC 2023 black 5-PW

Cobra snakebite Black wedges 50/54/58

Bettinardi BB39

11 minutes ago, Tdsjfb said:

Ah, I see what you are saying. Yeah, I don't know that these are aimed at 5-10 handicappers. And I guess if Hovland prefers i210s to these, then maybe they aren't the revolution Ping says they are. Will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Driver - Paradym, 10.5 (or TM Mini BRNR 11.5)

3W, 5W- Titleist 913F

4i-PW - TM P7MB

Wedges - Vokey SM9 (52, 56, 60) all M grinds

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - ProV1

2 hours ago, BirdieBob said:

I'll say, I haven't seen Ian this low-energy/unexcited in a while. Might be just the mood of the day but if its connected with the irons, that's not a good indication 😄 I'm surprised that with all that tech, multiple reviews have said they aren't much easier to hit than a Blueprint (which granted are probably the easiest to hit blade out there)

Edited by m_w
  • Like 1

Anyone know if the screws will be available aftermarket for swingweighting? 

TSi3 9* RDX Smoke Black 6.5
M5 15* Kuro Kago Silver 75x
Rescue 11 18* Diamana D+ 90x
P790 4 S400
MP-20 MMC 5-PW S400
Vokey SM6 Black 52/56/60 S400
Newport Mil-Spec 350g / Byron 006 / Laguna Pro Platinum / White Hot RX #7 / Stroke Lab Double Wide Flowneck

35 minutes ago, bobbyclampett!! said:

Ah, I see what you are saying. Yeah, I don't know that these are aimed at 5-10 handicappers. And I guess if Hovland prefers i210s to these, then maybe they aren't the revolution Ping says they are. Will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

He switched back due to the bounce grind & preceeded to play lights out with i210

Maybe the Hov i210 are his unicorn?

• Like 2

9 Clubs Sunday Bag

UST Mamiya - Lamkin - RXS 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/topic/1840618-witb-731-full-bag/

31 minutes ago, m_w said:

I'll say, I haven't seen Ian this low-energy/unexcited in a while. Might be just the mood of the day but if its connected with the irons, that's not a good indication 😄 I'm surprised that with all that tech, multiple reviews have said they aren't much easier to hit than a Blueprint (which granted are probably the easiest to hit blade out there)

I clicked this thread to say the same thing - I haven't seen Ian and Matty this unenthused about a new product in a while.  Consistent, yet not forgiving, firm feeling and expensive was the takeaway.  

Waiting patiently for a T100 vs i59 video.. 

• Like 3

Ping G425 LST 9* / Fujikura Ventus Blue 6X

Taylormade BRNR Mini Driver 13.5* / Fujikura Atmos Blue TS 7X

Callaway UW 19* / Fujikura Atmos Blue TS 8X

Ping iCrossover 18* / Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 85X

Ping i230 4-U / Dynamic Gold Tour Issue 120 X100

Titleist SM9 54.10S / Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Titleist SM9 60.04T / Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Ping PLD Custom Prime Tyne S / BGT Stability Tour Black

Titleist ProV1

Ping Hoofer

35 minutes ago, m_w said:

I thought he said they were quite a bit more forgiving than BP.... and that he also seemed relatively impressed....

This thread feels like the ultimate Rorschach test...

• Like 3

Driver - Paradym, 10.5 (or TM Mini BRNR 11.5)

3W, 5W- Titleist 913F

4i-PW - TM P7MB

Wedges - Vokey SM9 (52, 56, 60) all M grinds

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - ProV1

TXG's comment about feel has me concerned. I was hoping with an aluminum insert that the feel was going to be more "solid" and less clicky than a lot of other comparable hollow-body irons with "tech".

If I'm blending them with my Blueprints, I want them to give me a similar feel (keep in mind the Blueprint's aren't exactly Mizuno soft, they're more of a solid feeling that is somewhat difficult for me to describe).

I remember hitting the i500s and thinking absolutely zero chance would I ever blend them because they felt awful. I've yet to hit the i59's so I'll reserve judgement. I think from the looks department they're a check for blending, but the feel needs to be good or I won't consider it.

Maybe I should be looking at T100s, I've heard good things about them from the feel department.

Driver: TSR3 10.0* | Accra Tour Z RPG 472 45"

5 Wood: SIM Max 18.5* | Mitsubishi MMT 85TX

2i: Mizuno Fli-Hi 18* | KBS Prototype 95X

3i: Ping i59 @ 21* | Mitsubishi MMT 125TX
4-PW: Callaway TCB Raw | Project X 7.0
Wedges: 50&54&60: Cleveland CBX Zipcore | Project X 6.5
Putter: Cobra Vintage Sport-60

42 minutes ago, bobbyclampett!! said:

I thought he said they were quite a bit more forgiving than BP.... and that he also seemed relatively impressed....

This thread feels like the ultimate Rorschach test...

sorry not talking about the TXG review. I think it was Robinson or Matt who said that. 

but seriously, where did he seemed “relatively impressed”. Watch the P7MB/MC/770 review, Apex Pro, T100 etc reviews from them if you want to see them impressed. They’ll obviously never diss a product coz they sell them but this was pretty “meh” by their standards I thought 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JakeW13 said:

TXG's comment about feel has me concerned. I was hoping with an aluminum insert that the feel was going to be more "solid" and less clicky than a lot of other comparable hollow-body irons with "tech".

If I'm blending them with my Blueprints, I want them to give me a similar feel (keep in mind the Blueprint's aren't exactly Mizuno soft, they're more of a solid feeling that is somewhat difficult for me to describe).

I remember hitting the i500s and thinking absolutely zero chance would I ever blend them because they felt awful. I've yet to hit the i59's so I'll reserve judgement. I think from the looks department they're a check for blending, but the feel needs to be good or I won't consider it.

Maybe I should be looking at T100s, I've heard good things about them from the feel department.

As we all know feel is subjective. If Ian was comparing feel to Miura (no idea personally how those feel, but assuming forged soft) and using a ProV1X, then yes the i59s may not necessarily be the softest. To me the i59 was quite soft, but not pillow-y soft which I particularly care for. I don't want it to feel like I'm hitting a cotton ball. It also obviously depends on where on the face you made contact. On center strikes they have a positive soft "click" to know you hit it well. When you stray from center face, you know. The i59 feels nothing like the i500. To me the i500 was clunky to swing, felt hard, and rather difficult to hit.

I have a hard time putting the i59 into the hollow-body family. To me they're a multi-piece iron, with consistency at its core. Comparisons have been made to the P770 which doesn't make sense. Even though the 7i lofts are nearly the same (1* different) and the P770 looks MB-ish, that's where the similarities end. On TM's site they bill the 770 as the same DNA as the 790 "each built for dominating distance and premium performance" with a foam core. Ping is not going for dominating distance in anything, that's not really their focus. Premium performance is what Ping has done with the i59, based on TXG's video as well as the fitting numbers another member here posted a page or 2 back - tight dispersion in both distance and off-line, spin consistency, launch etc. with low standard deviations in all. Like Ian said at the end of their video, it's a very Ping club.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Signature!

Since I know him personally I will add that Ian is not  a "Ping guy". His praise of the i59 was strictly objective and he broadly hinted that hackers or wannabe high single digit-to-mid  handicappers should not apply.  Ping targets a specific skill set with each of their irons and do it very well.

• Like 2

Club Champion Custom Callaway AI Smoke 11*, Aldila Ascent 40 Gram, A Flex

Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, Kuro Kage 606 S
TXG Custom  SIM Max 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2

TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R
TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-pw, 1* upright, Recoil E460 R
PXG 0211 GW, 50*, (new version), UST Recoil Dart R
TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115 

Ping Glide 4.0 58*, Nippon 115 
TXG Custom Cobra Nova, KBS CT Tour Shaft

All the reviews I’ve watched these have tested extremely well with consistent flight,spin, and distance. Feel and sound is a personal preference.  When watching a review I’m interested in the data not the opinion of the content creator. I’d say these do everything ping has said they would do. 
Consistent spin, flight and distance across the face due to the i210 level moi. 

I had a conversation with my local fitter about ping. He was invited to their headquarters for a fitting seminar. While there he was able to tour their research facility. Ping tests every club with “PINGMAN” their swing robot. Hitting thousands of shots and collecting data. If ping say these have the same MOI(forgiveness) of i210 they do.

I’ll chose to believe the reputable business, with a massive testing facility, and thousands of data points over the feelings of content creators on YouTube. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Sounds like TXG needs to do a head-to-head review of i59 and i210.

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 10K 9* with GD Tour AD VF 5 stiff untipped

Taylormade Burner Mini 13.5* with GD Tour AD VF 6 stiff untipped 

Ping i530 4-P,U with Fujikura Axiom 125x 

Ping s159 wedges 52s, 56s, 60h with Fujikura Axiom 125x

Odyssey Ai One Milled Eight T S

2024 Callaway Tour 
Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360 +1/64"
Ogio Silencer bag

I was hoping for a bit more forgiveness and ball speed out of the i59, but they seem to be very good at control and consistency. I can see them being a good 7-PW club for my ball striking ability. I kinda feel like the Blueprints could fill that end of the bag too, if I'm going to be spending a premium. 

I just can't wait for the i210 replacement, iCrossover and the Glide 4.0 to release!