2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Ping i59

johngalt312

I support Ping because it’s a privately owned company and they make good stuff. I would also game PXG because they are an American company which I believe builds their clubs in the US.  Once again I could be mistaken. If neither made good stuff, they wouldn’t be in business so no need to hate on either.  The i59 have already seen success on tour and obviously the i210’s have seen success on lots of tours. 

• Like 1

I haven't swung an iBlade, but I am coming up on the end of season 3 with my i210s. To/For me the i59 is as forgiving, if not slightly more, than the i210. Comparing 7i numbers I've gained a few more yards on average with the i59 along with a slightly higher launch and spin for being weaker lofted versus the i210. I'm fairly certain I'll be placing an order for 5-W this Saturday.

• Like 1

Signature!

55 minutes ago, SuperBombin said:

anyone who played iblades and i210 - how does the i59 forgiveness compare to them?

I have played the iblades and the i210's -  both very nice clubs,  but different.  The iblades are more a players looking iron, slightly smaller and less off-set.

As I have mentioned, the iblades and i210's both feel very good,  but the i210's felt slightly softer to me.  I sold the i210's just because I was not in love with the wider sole and the off-set in the set.  However, these are both features that can assist the person looking for some additional forgiveness.  So,  how does all this compare to the i59 -  I can tell you that I have hit the i59 seven iron at my range extensively and probably around 400 balls with it.  I find the i59 very comparable to the i210 in forgiveness,  so maybe a little bit more than the iblades,  but it's close.  As for feel, well that is very subjective,  but I love the feel of the i59

It is not Mizuno soft, but to me it is very pleasing and probably in a very similar category for softness as the iblades.  As I have said, the i59 is a great iron and I think it would get much better reviews if the pricing was more realistic.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, teezoid said:

I have played the iblades and the i210's -  both very nice clubs,  but different.  The iblades are more a players looking iron, slightly smaller and less off-set.

As I have mentioned, the iblades and i210's both feel very good,  but the i210's felt slightly softer to me.  I sold the i210's just because I was not in love with the wider sole and the off-set in the set.  However, these are both features that can assist the person looking for some additional forgiveness.  So,  how does all this compare to the i59 -  I can tell you that I have hit the i59 seven iron at my range extensively and probably around 400 balls with it.  I find the i59 very comparable to the i210 in forgiveness,  so maybe a little bit more than the iblades,  but it's close.  As for feel, well that is very subjective,  but I love the feel of the i59

It is not Mizuno soft, but to me it is very pleasing and probably in a very similar category for softness as the iblades.  As I have said, the i59 is a great iron and I think it would get much better reviews if the pricing was more realistic.

Thanks for the insight! This is great to know. I used to game i20's for 8 years and I've been playing blades (apex mbs but played z forged, mizuno mb, titliest mb briefly) for the last few years and I've been debating on something a bit more forgiving, but is compact like a blade. I59 checks all the boxes for me, but I am turned off by the price of course. i210 looks nice too, but of course the sole is my concern. I've hit the i59 and thought it felt great. I'm thinking it'll be between this and t100/t200. Will have to give them a try outdoors.

6 minutes ago, SuperBombin said:

Anyone who has placed an order on these, did they provide estimate ship time? I saw someone said January. 

9/24 or 28th....I know it was one of those dates

• Like 1

9 Clubs Sunday Bag

UST Mamiya - Lamkin - RXS 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/topic/1840618-witb-731-full-bag/

6 hours ago, SuperBombin said:

Anyone who has placed an order on these, did they provide estimate ship time? I saw someone said January. 

I ordered a single 3 iron to use with my Blueprints.

I was originally told January before I ordered and now been told October 21. I don't trust the date but will see.

• Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

23 hours ago, SuperBombin said:

anyone who played iblades and i210 - how does the i59 forgiveness compare to them?

I'll be the devil's advocate here but MOI does not equal forgiveness. I have played i210s for going on 3 years. I have tried the demo iron we have with the same shaft I play on grass multiple times. It is not as forgiving as the i210. Period end of story. It is a great iron and if/when they take this technology to the i500 sized iron, it will be the most forgiving iron in its category. The i59 is roughly the same as the T100s. I also owned those and hit it against those at the same time. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Krod0507 said:

Anyone have any idea why more ping pros are not playing these irons? I’m a scratch golfer looking for a new set and have had my eye on these since the beginning but now am considering the t100. Have my fitting next Thursday so we will see. 

I would guess that a lot of people don’t want to change irons during the season. They may have had a chance to demo them before the season began but who knows. Also the big money sponsored players always use the new stuff to sell clubs.  Others like Bubba for example use the same irons for a very long time.  I mean I would use them if someone gave them to me but I’m not going to go spend that kind of coin on something that’s not going to change my game any.  I would be much better off spending that money on the range and course. 

• Like 1

Wrong. MOI is moment of inertia. There are many other things that go into a club’s forgiveness. I’ll give you that MOI equates to “more” forgiveness especially in a wood or driver (like you posted) but an iron is a different animal due to sole/turf interaction, weight placement and center of gravity. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, awtryau89 said:

I'll be the devil's advocate here but MOI does not equal forgiveness. I have played i210s for going on 3 years. I have tried the demo iron we have with the same shaft I play on grass multiple times. It is not as forgiving as the i210. Period end of story. It is a great iron and if/when they take this technology to the i500 sized iron, it will be the most forgiving iron in its category. The i59 is roughly the same as the T100s. I also owned those and hit it against those at the same time. 

To me, they were just as forgiving as the i210's in the sim. When I was able to hit them on real grass as you did I was very satisfied with the results. They were just as forgiving as the i210's, so for me, it's not the end of the story. I would recommend someone do side by side comparisons and see the results for themselves as well. What works for one person may not work for another, you just have to test an iron for yourself. My ball striking has improved drastically over the last 6 months, but I still tested the face of the irons and loved the dispersion results I had. Biggest difference I noticed is the distance, my 210's are longer, I have them power spec'd, it's close to a 15 yard difference. If I were to play a set of i59's I'd like to try and power spec them. 

45 minutes ago, AzSuperHack76 said:

To me, they were just as forgiving as the i210's in the sim. When I was able to hit them on real grass as you did I was very satisfied with the results. They were just as forgiving as the i210's, so for me, it's not the end of the story. I would recommend someone do side by side comparisons and see the results for themselves as well. What works for one person may not work for another, you just have to test an iron for yourself. My ball striking has improved drastically over the last 6 months, but I still tested the face of the irons and loved the dispersion results I had. Biggest difference I noticed is the distance, my 210's are longer, I have them power spec'd, it's close to a 15 yard difference. If I were to play a set of i59's I'd like to try and power spec them. 

Power spec isn't going to make up 15 yards. I've hit these and they did not produce good distance numbers. Other reviews on the internet show the same findings as me. Overall, that's a big concern I feel people are glossing over because they are the new flavor of the month. It shouldn't be!

22 minutes ago, JakeW13 said:

I don't understand the distance obsession with irons if you're looking at a players iron (which is what these are). The reason I switched from P790s to Ping Blueprints was because I couldn't stand the 1 to 2 rocket balls I'd get per round where I'd send a PW 7-10 yards further than my average.

I'm looking for consistency in carry yardage, spin, and overall dispersion. The only reason I'm considering i59's at the top of my set is for a little more forgiveness, not for anything distance related.

I don't understand why someone would want to make golf harder for them. Plenty of players irons which perform better than these have shown to perform. Slow ball speeds equal less yardage and longer approaches. Your money, spend it however you want. Good luck!

13 minutes ago, BubbaBallesteros said:

Irons are mostly for approach shots....Hitting consistant distances and tighter dispersions usually equates to more greens hit. No one cares if you can hit a PW 160 or 120, the metric most golfers care about is score haha 

Dispersion is driven by many factors, just not the club head. Hitting the 6-iron instead of a 7-iron into a green is awesome, said no one ever...SMH! 

2 hours ago, snagy2000 said:

Power spec isn't going to make up 15 yards. I've hit these and they did not produce good distance numbers. Other reviews on the internet show the same findings as me. Overall, that's a big concern I feel people are glossing over because they are the new flavor of the month. It shouldn't be!

I’m not looking to make up for 15 yards, but power spec would help “close the gap”. For me power spec is about lowering the flight as well. I hit the ball high and it just helps bring that down a little.

If I put the i59’s in the bag it would be all about shot control and shape. After all it’s a players iron, not a distance iron. 

Edited by AzSuperHack76
sp.

12 minutes ago, halfsumo said:

People just can't seem to wrap their head around that these are not designed to increase distance. 🤯

If anyone needs distance - it would be me. I absolutely did not order i59 for distance, though. I ordered for the consistency I saw - especially the launch/spin compared to my s56[which hits my window perfectly].  Then I ordered 7-9 irons only, so I'm not after distance- I'm after greens, specifically small sections....

9 Clubs Sunday Bag

UST Mamiya - Lamkin - RXS 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/topic/1840618-witb-731-full-bag/

12 minutes ago, halfsumo said:

People just can't seem to wrap their head around that these are not designed to increase distance. 🤯

Funny how people can't take valid criticism of a company's new club...I never once said it was a distance club... All I said was making it power spec isn't going to add 15 yards difference...Strengthening a club one or two degrees is only going to add three to six yards for most people, depending on how much you strengthen it, therefore your product has potential issues compared to competitors, which should not be overlooked when deciding to whether or not to purchase...

This is GolfWRX. No one on here ever misses the center. I stand by my comments. The i59 will not produce the same results on off center hits as the i210. The flight is lower and you lose more distance. Thin shots are much more punishing. This is how I measure forgiveness. The i59 does just as well as the i210 from an offline perspective but comes up much shorter. This is all with a 7 iron. You get to the 4-5 its going to be much more punishing. A little secret on Ping's statement on MOI. I asked our Ping rep directly about this when he brought them by our club. My question was how did you guys do this and he said that is more pointed to the short irons. They can make that statement and not qualify it to all irons so it helps them from a marketing perspective. MOI matters but robots don't hit clubs on the course. I'll watch closely to see how many of the Ping pros that play i210s migrate to i59s. I am a Ping guy and play their irons religiously. 

Edited by awtryau89
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, snagy2000 said:

Funny how people can't take valid criticism of a company's new club...I never once said it was a distance club... All I said was making it power spec isn't going to add 15 yards difference...Strengthening a club one or two degrees is only going to add three to six yards for most people, depending on how much you strengthen it, therefore your product has potential issues compared to competitors, which should not be overlooked when deciding to whether or not to purchase...

Criticism is always welcome, it's when others can't accept someone else's experience is when it becomes odd.

I will repeat what I had said and what was my exact experience. If I were to put these irons in the bag it wouldn't be for distance, it would be for it's consistency. No one said power spec lofts will add 15 yards. I said it could help bridge that distance gap between the i210 and i59. I also use the power spec lofts in order to help bring the flight down as I get the ball up in the air a bit too high at times. Every other manufacturer adjust lofts to a customers specs as well, so I'm not sure what your point is about strengthening lofts and it's "potential issues". 

I have no brand loyalty when it comes to equipment, I play a pretty mixed bag and tinker a lot. I just find it funny, regardless of brand when someone that didn't have a good experience with the iron has to repeatedly go on about it. People get it, it didn't work for you, but it's no reason to dismiss someone else's experience. 

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Krod0507 said:

Anyone have any idea why more ping pros are not playing these irons? I’m a scratch golfer looking for a new set and have had my eye on these since the beginning but now am considering the t100. Have my fitting next Thursday so we will see. 

My question too.  

I wanted a set, but seems like pros are not switching and definitely not a 3 or 4-pw switch if they have i59's in the bag.  

That along with the price tag made a long time ping fan order the T100 irons.  As well as the fact that T100 irons come with the AMT shaft I like as a standard, non uncharge shaft unlike ping.  

I already have the T100 and since they were forged, I ordered a standard set and bent them to my specs no problem.  Did not have to wait the extra time for the custom T100 or pings.