Ping i59

johngalt312

13 hours ago, Mookieb10 said:

Interesting reviews here, especially compared the the reviews of the YouTube crowd. Ian Fraser seemed to think the i59 lost a ton of ball speed on mishits and Shiels even stated he wanted to move into the i59 but couldn’t justify the performance. 

Of course, the consumer will always want to like something they’ve spent $2,000 on, but the feedback here has been near unanimously good while YT was underwhelming. 

We've also all seen the opposite side of YT reviews and real life. Overwhelmingly positive reviews for whatever and when put in the hands of regular people they're underwhelming. Unfortunately the nature of things now.

Signature!

Remember when Ping irons steadfastly refused ferrules?

• Haha 1

Ping-logo-283444624.jpeg 410LST 9º (TourX) RogueST 3D (ADDI 6X) [OMG what?], 425 3w 14.5º (TourX), 430 3h 19º & 4 iCross (HZRDUS Red 6.0), i230 5-U, G4 54º, GFP 59º (DART105F4). 2021 Fetch (BGT Tour Black).

"Golf is just a dance with a stick, and a ball tells you how good a dancer you are."  LCP150mm in your fairway should be a full-time rule.

On 10/29/2021 at 5:12 PM, south side slugger said:

Why do you prefer the turf interaction on the t100. Does the ping get stuck more or bounce thru? I am trying to decide between these two irons 

I'll say this.  I have 3 friends that are ping iron guys on tour and not one switched to the i59s.  I saw two of them recently on the range and they just felt across the board, they were not consistent as the clubs they are playing now.  blueprints for one and i210 for the other.  In any event, I wanted the i59s but instead went thru the fitting and ordered a set of t100s in AMT black s300s with the 4&5 iron the t200 for a mixed set.  

While waiting, and still waiting for them to be delivered, I found a set of t100 in AMT white s300s.  The launch, apex, and distance is dang near identical on our clubs trackman.  There is a bit of a forgiveness advantage to the t200 long irons so when they come in, I will prob switch and add a 50 bent to a 48-49 degree or so.  

But I will somewhat disagree with the guy that says the low groove hits are better with the i59s.  I did not see that from the fitting we had at the club nor at the initial release hitting/fitting at the local golf shop.  I did like the i59 set up behind the ball but the t100 series irons were way better on both fronts and the turf interaction in real life was also better.  I am prob a 1 down on long irons to a 2-3 down on mid and 4 down on wedges, so not a steep guy.

I have never owned a titleist cavity back, which is what I consider the T100 series.  I have usually played various Miura blades, Kyoei MBs, or blueprints with the s55s making a guest appearance some days.  But the T100 series is legit.  

I firmly believe the T100 is an AP blade repackaged.  But since I have never owned/played the APs, the T100 series is dang nice and much sharper looking than the predecessors in my opinion.  

I love ping blades/s series irons.  But if push comes to shove, the T irons will win over and over especially considering the price difference.  Not sure what ping is thinking with the price increase over the blueprints (which are fantastic if you are a pure blade player).  

Got out and hit the i59 around on the course today. 

overall I like them. Nothing mind blowing, but they do exactly what they say. Consistent, solid and they are good when it’s wet. I felt the help it gives is confidence inspiring considering it’s size. The offset looks more pronounced to my eye at the ball compared to the T100s.

overall they are still a contender and I’ll spend some more time with them on the course this off season.

hope some of this info helps people make a decision one way or another. 

PING G430 Max 9* • Tensei 1K Pro Orange 6S
PING G430 3 Wood • Tensei 1K Pro Blue 7S
Titleist TSR2 3 Hybrid • Tensei 1K Hybrid 80S

T200 4 Iron • Hzrdus 6.0

PING Blueprint S 5-PW • AWT 2.0 X

Vokey 50.12F, 54.10S, 58.08M • DG TI S400 Onyx

Odyssey 2-Ball Eleven • BGT Stability Tour

19 minutes ago, ivygynonc said:

I'll say this.  I have 3 friends that are ping iron guys on tour and not one switched to the i59s.  I saw two of them recently on the range and they just felt across the board, they were not consistent as the clubs they are playing now.  blueprints for one and i210 for the other.  In any event, I wanted the i59s but instead went thru the fitting and ordered a set of t100s in AMT black s300s with the 4&5 iron the t200 for a mixed set.  

While waiting, and still waiting for them to be delivered, I found a set of t100 in AMT white s300s.  The launch, apex, and distance is dang near identical on our clubs trackman.  There is a bit of a forgiveness advantage to the t200 long irons so when they come in, I will prob switch and add a 50 bent to a 48-49 degree or so.  

But I will somewhat disagree with the guy that says the low groove hits are better with the i59s.  I did not see that from the fitting we had at the club nor at the initial release hitting/fitting at the local golf shop.  I did like the i59 set up behind the ball but the t100 series irons were way better on both fronts and the turf interaction in real life was also better.  I am prob a 1 down on long irons to a 2-3 down on mid and 4 down on wedges, so not a steep guy.

I have never owned a titleist cavity back, which is what I consider the T100 series.  I have usually played various Miura blades, Kyoei MBs, or blueprints with the s55s making a guest appearance some days.  But the T100 series is legit.  

I firmly believe the T100 is an AP blade repackaged.  But since I have never owned/played the APs, the T100 series is dang nice and much sharper looking than the predecessors in my opinion.  

I love ping blades/s series irons.  But if push comes to shove, the T irons will win over and over especially considering the price difference.  Not sure what ping is thinking with the price increase over the blueprints (which are fantastic if you are a pure blade player).  

I’ve heard the same thing from a couple of my buddies who are Ping players on tour. They both play i210 and neither are in a hurry to switch. They both say they are the most consistent irons they’ve ever played. They did say a replacement is in the works.

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

So I have not hit this set on grass and probably won’t for the next six months. Observations from GC quad has these irons being very very consistent. They aren’t the deepest irons even in power spec. The 4 and 5 iron has some offset that is noticeable. It might put some people out. To me it is ok but I definitely see it. They look great, sound ok, love the LS shaft. 
I think these are a whole different beast than the i210. They feel better than the 210, same offset in power spec, about the same level of forgiveness. I played both and these are a little better imo. If you value consistent distance and control, these are great irons. My gripes are the price, with other options out there, they are priced too high. I still look at the new T100 and it calls to me (it’s winter and I’ll probably buy a set) to have shoot out.

When you power spec these you get more distance but your spin will drop a lot. Just an FYI

18 hours ago, hammergolf said:

I’ve heard the same thing from a couple of my buddies who are Ping players on tour. They both play i210 and neither are in a hurry to switch. They both say they are the most consistent irons they’ve ever played. They did say a replacement is in the works.

Ya, expect the i230 in '22, along with the G430 woods later. Interesting trademark on the "G430 HL". Makes me think they might be considering a G430 woods release without a coordinated update to the irons.

Total speculation there.

• Like 2

Ping-logo-283444624.jpeg 410LST 9º (TourX) RogueST 3D (ADDI 6X) [OMG what?], 425 3w 14.5º (TourX), 430 3h 19º & 4 iCross (HZRDUS Red 6.0), i230 5-U, G4 54º, GFP 59º (DART105F4). 2021 Fetch (BGT Tour Black).

"Golf is just a dance with a stick, and a ball tells you how good a dancer you are."  LCP150mm in your fairway should be a full-time rule.

2 hours ago, karstens_ghost said:

Ya, expect the i230 in '22, along with the G430 woods later. Interesting trademark on the "G430 HL". Makes me think they might be considering a G430 woods release without a coordinated update to the irons.

Total speculation there.

Likely High Launch (HL) iron like they did with G2 and possibly other model lines.

• Like 1

I'll be interested in what comes after G430, as I don't believe Ping has ever gone to xx35.

PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING G430 fairway 18° (F-), Alta CB S
PING G430 hybrid 22° (F-), Alta CB S
PING i530 5-U, DG Mid 115 S300
PING s159 54°-W (bent 52°), 58°-B, DG Mid 115 S300
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour Yellow

7 minutes ago, Foreleft said:

Will be interesting to see if Ping moves the i230’s away from the CTP, like their other lines and into a screw into toe design.  

I have just assumed they will. Maybe that's not a given? But it just feels like ping is all-in with the screw design. The question to me will be how they compensate for feel. One of the things people liked about i210 was how soft it felt vs previous i series. So will there be some sort of badge, etc., or will they do a foam insert or what not. That's my question with the i230. While the i210 was very soft, I didn't love the feel because it was the sort of soft that also muted feedback (I preferred i200 feel for feedback), so there's some potential for feel improvement, maybe not blueprint level. But we'll see.

Hopefully tho, the upside here is that ping's experience with toe screws in other models mean that the first i2xx with a toe screw is good right out of the box, rather than just an experiment.

• Like 1

Corey Conners,Scott Harrington ,Nate Lashley,Hunter Mahan, David Skinns,Wilco Nienaber, Victor Perez,Andy Sullivan,Connor Syme,Johannes Veerman. That’s a list of ping pros on the pga/European tour with i59 in their bags. Not that it matters much. Just pointing out that pros are in fact playing these irons. About 25% of ping pros are playing them. Which is roughly the same amount as i210(11), blueprint(7) and s55/iblade(16).  

• Like 3

Can anyone who has played blueprints compare them to their i59’s ???

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

16 minutes ago, cardoustie said:

I play blueprints, I will be getting my 3 iron i59 to go with my set next week, same shaft etc. I can update then if you want.

• Like 2
  • Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

12 minutes ago, scott_Donald said:

I play blueprints, I will be getting my 3 iron i59 to go with my set next week, same shaft etc. I can update then if you want.

You know every time you comment and I look at your WITB I realize how similar our setup is. And just fyi, I liked my P790 3 iron much more than the P770 I have. Just placed an order for an i59 3 iron yesterday to take it's place. Going with MMT 105TX.

Driver: TSR3 10.0* | Accra Tour Z RPG 472 45"

5 Wood: SIM Max 18.5* | Mitsubishi MMT 85TX

2i: Mizuno Fli-Hi 18* | KBS Prototype 95X

3i: Ping i59 @ 21* | Mitsubishi MMT 125TX
4-PW: Callaway TCB Raw | Project X 7.0
Wedges: 50&54&60: Cleveland CBX Zipcore | Project X 6.5
Putter: Cobra Vintage Sport-60

51 minutes ago, JakeW13 said:

You know every time you comment and I look at your WITB I realize how similar our setup is. And just fyi, I liked my P790 3 iron much more than the P770 I have. Just placed an order for an i59 3 iron yesterday to take it's place. Going with MMT 105TX.

my wedges are far better though!!!

I am always scared to go graphite in any iron, interesting to see how it goes for you......

Edited by scott_Donald
  • Haha 1
  • Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

1 hour ago, cardoustie said:

I can compare 7 irons only as I've had them both in the bag for two rounds. i59 wins forgiveness in ever imaginable way. better on toe, heel, low, high strikes. Feel is very similar to me, sound is a little louder on the i59's. I have not hit enough shots to compare dispersion and I certainly don't have a tour level delivery consistency - so dispersion might be hard to compare anyways 😉

• Like 2

These are teetering on the best irons Ping has made - for me. 

Ridiculous groupings .... I hit 7 shots yesterday that produces a 3ft group & ball marks with inches of each other. My general miss seems to get punished quite severely though- so I'll hold off on the Gold Standard for now.

Definitely longer than my s56 

• Like 1

9 Clubs Sunday Bag

UST Mamiya - Lamkin - RXS 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/topic/1840618-witb-731-full-bag/

What’s the general miss?

EvnRoll ER9

5 hours ago, animalgolfs said:

Ridiculous groupings .... I hit 7 shots yesterday that produces a 3ft group & ball marks with inches of each other. My general miss seems to get punished quite severely though- so I'll hold off on the Gold Standard for now.

3 hours ago, animalgolfs said:

It's low face, where I'm hitting on the upswing....instead of down through the ball. 

Same miss not good on blue’s

EvnRoll ER9

11 hours ago, animalgolfs said:

The precision on these are insane, have 6 rounds with mine so far and only had 1 flyer from the rough and even then it wasn't anywhere near as bad as my i20s would produce. I do think it's important to dial in the right golf ball pairing with these to maximize distance since they are a little spinny. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jjones519a said:

i hit these.  They felt great but were short.

Fitter said the extra grooves added a ton of spin hurting my distance.

Not sure if it was true but that was the results in my fitting.

Shame too they look and feel great.  But I would never pay for them.

You should run from that fitter as fast has your legs can take you and find one who knows what they are talking about.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, skraly said:

You should run from that fitter as fast has your legs can take you and find one who knows what they are talking about.

Agreed.  There are literally dozens of shafts we and most fitters have access to in order to match to what a player needs during a fitting.

Edited by tbowles411
  • Like 1

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!