Ping i59

johngalt312

On 11/2/2021 at 10:39 PM, ivygynonc said:

I'll say this.  I have 3 friends that are ping iron guys on tour and not one switched to the i59s.  I saw two of them recently on the range and they just felt across the board, they were not consistent as the clubs they are playing now.  blueprints for one and i210 for the other.  In any event, I wanted the i59s but instead went thru the fitting and ordered a set of t100s in AMT black s300s with the 4&5 iron the t200 for a mixed set.  

While waiting, and still waiting for them to be delivered, I found a set of t100 in AMT white s300s.  The launch, apex, and distance is dang near identical on our clubs trackman.  There is a bit of a forgiveness advantage to the t200 long irons so when they come in, I will prob switch and add a 50 bent to a 48-49 degree or so.  

But I will somewhat disagree with the guy that says the low groove hits are better with the i59s.  I did not see that from the fitting we had at the club nor at the initial release hitting/fitting at the local golf shop.  I did like the i59 set up behind the ball but the t100 series irons were way better on both fronts and the turf interaction in real life was also better.  I am prob a 1 down on long irons to a 2-3 down on mid and 4 down on wedges, so not a steep guy.

I have never owned a titleist cavity back, which is what I consider the T100 series.  I have usually played various Miura blades, Kyoei MBs, or blueprints with the s55s making a guest appearance some days.  But the T100 series is legit.  

I firmly believe the T100 is an AP blade repackaged.  But since I have never owned/played the APs, the T100 series is dang nice and much sharper looking than the predecessors in my opinion.  

I love ping blades/s series irons.  But if push comes to shove, the T irons will win over and over especially considering the price difference.  Not sure what ping is thinking with the price increase over the blueprints (which are fantastic if you are a pure blade player).  

T100s w/ x7s will be replacing my Mizuno mp67 blades next year.  Looking for a super low spin set of irons, was kina hoping the i59s would fit that bill but reviews are not going that direction.  Too bad.

On 11/8/2021 at 3:46 AM, animalgolfs said:

These are teetering on the best irons Ping has made - for me. 

Ridiculous groupings .... I hit 7 shots yesterday that produces a 3ft group & ball marks with inches of each other. My general miss seems to get punished quite severely though- so I'll hold off on the Gold Standard for now.

Definitely longer than my s56 

I hit some of these today… they are very good in the feel category. I had to hit steel fibre stiffs so they felt like noodles, but the head was just solid solid.

My blueprints are fine right now, but since they went through their shaft replacement, lead tape has been all over… and I hate that. We'll see. I won't compromise on the MMTs though… phenomenal shaft. 

• Like 1

Ping-logo-283444624.jpeg 410LST 9º (TourX) RogueST 3D (ADDI 6X) [OMG what?], 425 3w 14.5º (TourX), 430 3h 19º & 4 iCross (HZRDUS Red 6.0), i230 5-U, G4 54º, GFP 59º (DART105F4). 2021 Fetch (BGT Tour Black).

"Golf is just a dance with a stick, and a ball tells you how good a dancer you are."  LCP150mm in your fairway should be a full-time rule.

On 11/7/2021 at 7:11 AM, scott_Donald said:

I play blueprints, I will be getting my 3 iron i59 to go with my set next week, same shaft etc. I can update then if you want.

Thoughts? My 5-iron is misbehaving...

Ping-logo-283444624.jpeg 410LST 9º (TourX) RogueST 3D (ADDI 6X) [OMG what?], 425 3w 14.5º (TourX), 430 3h 19º & 4 iCross (HZRDUS Red 6.0), i230 5-U, G4 54º, GFP 59º (DART105F4). 2021 Fetch (BGT Tour Black).

"Golf is just a dance with a stick, and a ball tells you how good a dancer you are."  LCP150mm in your fairway should be a full-time rule.

2 hours ago, karstens_ghost said:

Thoughts? My 5-iron is misbehaving...

Haven't got it yet. Still waiting for the pro to call. Sorry.

• Like 1
  • Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

On 11/2/2021 at 11:01 PM, hammergolf said:

I’ve heard the same thing from a couple of my buddies who are Ping players on tour. They both play i210 and neither are in a hurry to switch. They both say they are the most consistent irons they’ve ever played. They did say a replacement is in the works.

The I59's aren't designed with PGA players in mind. Tour players need consistency ,not distance.

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

3 hours ago, golffeen007 said:

Seems from the comment you know nothing about the i59’s. They’re not distance irons and are very consistent. But go ahead. 

Guess I don't. Sorry I hurt your feelings. 

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

3 hours ago, Golfguy1012 said:

Oh wow, brilliant. 

Corey Conners,Scott Harrington ,Nate Lashley,Hunter Mahan, David Skinns,Wilco Nienaber, Victor Perez,Andy Sullivan,Connor Syme,Johannes Veerman. That’s a list of ping pros on the pga/European tour with i59 in their bags. Not that it matters much. Just pointing out that pros are in fact playing these irons. About 25% of ping pros are playing them. Which is roughly the same amount as i210(11), blueprint(7) and s55/iblade(16).

Guess I don't know much about the I59's or most of the players you named. Sue me. 

• Confused 1

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

29 minutes ago, m_w said:

Why are you posting on topics you know nothing about? Sorry to hurt your feelings.

I'll post any damn place I want thank you. It's done all the time here if you pay attention. And at my age you're gonna have to do a lot better than that to hurt my feelings. 

• Sad 2

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

8 hours ago, braincramp52 said:

The I59's aren't designed with PGA players in mind. Tour players need consistency ,not distance.

I think you’re confusing the i500 and upcoming i525 with the i59. The i59s literally are designed “To deliver precise, reliable distance and performance across every club”.

09A6F748-0448-41B7-9111-7CAF63FC17E2.png

Edited by hammergolf
  • Like 1

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

21 minutes ago, hammergolf said:

I think you’re confusing the i500 and upcoming i525 with the i59. The i59s literally are designed “To deliver precise, reliable distance and performance across every club”.

09A6F748-0448-41B7-9111-7CAF63FC17E2.png

You would be correct. Thanks for not being a turd about my post. 

• Like 2

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

11 minutes ago, braincramp52 said:

You would be correct. Thanks for not being a turd about my post. 

All good. Unfortunately you will find there are several Richards on here. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

43 minutes ago, hammergolf said:

Oh yea, I've been around here long enough to know that.🤣

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

6 hours ago, toddyc said:

It sounds like he did actually learn and was just confused on the iron model.

He promptly got lambasted with corrections from guys up in arms about it so he had to learn quick

I don’t think anyone was up in arms , BUT  when you make false statements in a specific product thread , you’ll get a response from people with actual experience. Wouldn’t want facts to get in the way of a good story. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, hammergolf said:

That's one of my middle names!

• Like 1
  • Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

Ordered a set of i210s back in June, which still haven’t come in. Called Ping, they said the i210 5i wouldn’t be in until June 2022 at the earliest, then asked if I’d tried the i59s.. Which of course are twice the price and feel like you’re hitting a 90s era Top Flite. Ordered a set of Srixon ZX7s and will play them for a bit, since I have another 8 months to cancel the Ping order. Insane. 

On 11/11/2021 at 5:48 AM, braincramp52 said:

My instructor had me hit 3 sets of irons today -- the Ping i59s were the most consistent.

They look great, too. I was suprised - thin top line, excellent feel, consistent distance.

• Like 3

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft @45 in. (coming soon)
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18/ TPT Golf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Ping i230 5-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 or Ping Glide Forged Pro, Both with Nippon 105 
  • Putter:  LAB DF3 TPT Shaft (waiting)
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

22 minutes ago, SwingMan said:

My instructor had me hit 3 sets of irons today -- the Ping i59s were the most consistent.

They look great, too. I was suprised - thin top line, excellent feel, consistent distance.

Yup. My post was wrong.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

I stopped by the SS today. They had two sets of i59 on the display rack. At address, I thought “man that looks close to some i3+ Blades in the basement”. Except for all the micro-grooves. 

Titleist TSi3 with Speeder NX Blue

Titleist TSi1 7 wood with Tensei Blue

Taylormade P790 UDI 2 iron

New Level 902PD irons with SF i95R

Titleist SM7 50° and 60°, Cleveland RDX 56°

Odyssey OG1

Maxfli Tour ball

On 10/27/2021 at 9:06 AM, PVSaluki said:

Got the call from my pro that mine came in yesterday! Luckily have Wednesday’s off. Booked early tee time today to try on range and 9 holes on the course. Play at a +2…former college golfer who played Mizuno Mp 32,67,57 and ping s56,55, iBlade, currently gaming mp 20 with $ taper 130. I59 are same set make up and loft. Although I made a mistake getting standard lies in ping because Mizuno standard lofts are flatter. They ran out of six iron shafts so I don’t have a six iron with this set yet. Ping says will ship mid December. Yikes. We are coming into our prime season in southwest Florida. Driver SS 112-115 for reference.

LOOKS

First impression is the finish of the pings compared to the chrome Mizunos. Man these look pure! And modern for what it’s worth to my 20s that are basically the same ol’ blade Mizuno had 15 years ago (love them). Pings are also “boxier” and visually less intimidating. I am not a fan of the toe screw. The extra grooves are not that noticeable. Love the familiar white bottom groove. The design on the back is slick like a sports car. Very sharp.

FEEL

Of note, the fitting club felt like crap compared to today with the actually epoxied set. Maybe this explains why the feedback has been meh. I’m really not sure why there is so much hate on the i59…(price??). The goods are in the feel. It’s that familiar S55 “click” when flushed. I was skeptical about an aluminum insert. These feel great. Mizuno no doubt buttery…these however have a nice solid click without any clunkiness. Mizuno feels softer, these are more solid. You can judge by my club history that I flip back and forth. Sometimes I feel numb to the soft Mizuno and a ping gives me that thwack I’m looking for.

FORGIVENESS 

Obviously, most clubs are going to be more forgiving than a Mizuno blade. The strongest part of my game is my irons. My miss tends to be smidge toward the heel and thin…which leads to a short right shot. I’m judging forgiveness on back to back shots I hit today. The first was from 208 with a 4 iron. The thin heel miss came out. I’ve had this second shot so many times at my club I was certain it would be in the green side bunker, but it covered. On the next hole I had 190 into the win, water short right and hit basically the same shot with a 5 iron…the ball covered again. The verdict is still out, but no surprise these have more forgiveness.

DISTANCE

I’ll get on trackman the next couple weeks. In the fitting, we didn’t see a change in distance. Lofts we’re all virtually the same. The fitting club did not feel well as mentioned before. On the course, I was hitting 2-4 balls from same distance alternating Mizuno and ping…no major difference noted at this point. Of course there is distance to consider on mishits as judged above. I love knock down PW, 9, and 8 irons…these deliver on maintaining the same trajectory as the mizunos. Was surprise out of the wet rough how these flighted as well. Probably some hydropearl placebo 😂.

OVERALL/FIRST IMPRESSION

I’ve played the MP 20s for almost 2 years. Just had a run with some of my best golf in a while the last 2 months for Florida Mid Am, club championships, and other small events. I have 2 months off to get these figured out. Im 35 and get ragged quite a bit by my old college teammates about still playing Mizuno blades. Pride I guess…I think the forgiveness these have to offer compared to them will place them firmly in the bag come tournament session in Jan and Feb here in Florida.

EE8065C1-B2D4-434A-BE91-EA780EF44A74.jpeg

ED56091F-6849-4438-8201-73589180D6F1.jpeg

ECA830C0-613F-4926-9BDF-D6BB8A817824.jpeg

87FD00FA-FC4F-49CB-B1BC-606840CF3A10.jpeg

C118A080-6D71-45F3-B20C-419035B9CABF.jpeg

I’ve been able to play several more rounds and have a few more range sessions with these. There is an observation for missed shots towards the heel in the longer clubs. They just stay on line and cover better than the Mizunos. Gotta be the off set. I’m enjoying the forgiveness. Was able to quickly and confidently phase these in. Great clubs.

6E372CE6-D3B2-4D27-86BA-CC11816DEF59.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1