2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Ping i59

johngalt312

13 hours ago, PT1911 said:

I will add to this as well, I just ordered a set and they shipped in 7 days from order!

And this was likely the case for me too.  I stated above that it took 2 weeks but my clubs shipped from PING to Discount Dan's, then DD shipped them to me - so subtracting transit time it was quick.  I wish PING dropped shipped them to me directly but DD had some PING drama a few years ago and PING probably requires DD to accept the orders directly as a green grass operation.  Unsure but mine will be here today and I'll upload some pics.

Edited by underwater
  • Like 1

TItleist TSR3 9° HZRDUS

Titleist TSR3 15° HZRDUS

PING G430h 19° Ventus HB-8

Mizuno 241 4-P KBS Tour

Vokey SM9 50f, 54s, 60m

L.A.B. Link.1

5 hours ago, ballywho27 said:

How is the distance consistency with these irons?  I had a set of i500’s and the distances could be a little unpredictable. I’m now playing some Blueprints and looking for a little forgiveness. 

They are extremely consistent and predictable. I love these irons for that reason, you can be very confident you aren't going to have that random flyer.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ballywho27 said:

How is the distance consistency with these irons?  I had a set of i500’s and the distances could be a little unpredictable. I’m now playing some Blueprints and looking for a little forgiveness. 

The control and "players spin" is what these irons are built around.  They do indeed spin, but I think probably like your blueprints which also are designed to spin appropriately. (none of this Srixon ZX7 4900rpm 7 iron stuff.). I live at elevation (Denver) and due to our thin warm summer air I alway seek out more spin in my driver and irons.  Driver 2400-2500, 7 iron 6800-7100.

I think the long irons are particularly fun to hit.  When I received my order I went somewhere where I had access to indoor trackman and was hitting 4 irons on a rope with a nice (but proper) rainbow.

Louis Oosthuizen initially threw an i59 4 iron in with his Blueprints, and has since also added a 5 iron.  I expect to see more PING players do this over the next 4 months.

Edited by underwater
  • Like 2

TItleist TSR3 9° HZRDUS

Titleist TSR3 15° HZRDUS

Mizuno 241 4-P KBS Tour

Vokey SM9 50f, 54s, 60m

L.A.B. Link.1

10 hours ago, jjfcpa said:

Are these really supposed to be blade like?  I looked at a set at Golf Galaxy and did a double-take because they looked very similar in size to some game improvement irons that were on display.  

Unsure what Game Improvement irons you were comparing to.  i59 are dimensionally smaller than the iBlade irons - they live in between the Blueprint and iBlade in shape and size. Ian at TXG (incorrectly) said you better be a really good 4 handicapper or lower to even think about these.  I wouldn't go that far but they are skinny.  Topline measurably thinner than the T100.   You may have been looking at i500's instead of i59.  They have the same design characteristic.  

Go grab a 6 iron at Golf Galaxy and give it a workout - let us know what you think.

6 iron in photo below:

IMG_0531.jpg

Edited by underwater
  • Like 2

TItleist TSR3 9° HZRDUS

Titleist TSR3 15° HZRDUS

Mizuno 241 4-P KBS Tour

Vokey SM9 50f, 54s, 60m

L.A.B. Link.1

9 minutes ago, underwater said:

Unsure what Game Improvement irons you were comparing to.  i59 are dimensionally smaller than the iBlade irons - they live in between the Blueprint and iBlade in shape and size. Ian at TXG (incorrectly) said you better be a really good 4 handicapper or better to even think about these.  I wouldn't go that far but they are skinny.  Topline measurably thinner than the T100.   You may have been looking at i500's instead of i59.  They have the same design characteristic.  

Go grab a 6 iron at Golf Galaxy and give it a workout - let us know what you think.

6 iron in photo below:

IMG_0531.jpg

Thank you for the clarification.  They were definitely i59's because I had a set of the i500 and I would have not made that mistake.  

I was primarily looking at the face and didn't really focus on the top line.  I didn't think the soles looked particularly thin.  From the looks, I would have labeled these players irons.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jjfcpa said:

Thank you for the clarification.  They were definitely i59's because I had a set of the i500 and I would have not made that mistake.  

I was primarily looking at the face and didn't really focus on the top line.  I didn't think the soles looked particularly thin.  From the looks, I would have labeled these players irons.

I would agree with that - players irons.  Not like P7TW or anything.  

TItleist TSR3 9° HZRDUS

Titleist TSR3 15° HZRDUS

Mizuno 241 4-P KBS Tour

Vokey SM9 50f, 54s, 60m

L.A.B. Link.1

I hit these at the store recently. They look maybe 15% bigger than my blueprints but man the feel is COMPLETELY different. They are shockingly forgiving for their size. I will never sell my blueprints but I'm tempted to buy a set of these. Completely different impact experience but in a good way. Really had fun hitting them. That being said - they were higher launching but shorter distance than my BP's. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Stinger83 said:

I hit these at the store recently. They look maybe 15% bigger than my blueprints but man the feel is COMPLETELY different. They are shockingly forgiving for their size. I will never sell my blueprints but I'm tempted to buy a set of these. Completely different impact experience but in a good way. Really had fun hitting them. That being said - they were higher launching but shorter distance than my BP's. 

Do you think it was spin or ball speed robbing you of distance? I hit the i59 about the same as my iBlades.  Did you match up your shaft?

TItleist TSR3 9° HZRDUS

Titleist TSR3 15° HZRDUS

Mizuno 241 4-P KBS Tour

Vokey SM9 50f, 54s, 60m

L.A.B. Link.1

Finally got to give mine a work out on the range. 

The biggest surprise for me is the distance consistency on toe hits, both high and low. Love these things. Anyone considering them should give them a fair shake with no preconceived notions. 

• Like 2

Ping G400 LST 10 deg - Oban Kiyoshi White 04

Ping G400 16.5 deg - Oban Kiyoshi White 04

Ping i59 4-PW - PX IO 6.0, 1” long

Vokey SM7 Jet Black 52-56-60 

Scotty Cameron 2018 Newport 3

7 hours ago, wobgon said:

I have piddled with mine hitting a shot or two here and there in the winter weather....Will be getting inside this week to give them a go and compare to my two sets of s55's....We will see how it goes.

Turf interaction is superb - I just get through the ball way better over s56. It's a real hidden gem on the i59

9 Clubs Sunday Bag

UST Mamiya - Lamkin - RXS 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/topic/1840618-witb-731-full-bag/

1 hour ago, Nic1972 said:

Can anybody compare the I59 to Mizuno MP18 MP / SC? Would I loose any distance if I move to the Ping, as the MP18s are not the longest irons (not designed to…)? I assume forgiveness wise the I59 would be better, even if the MP18 are not difficult to hit?

Thanks!

The only reason you occasionally see someone say that they aren't quite as long as "iron B" is because they are comparing to a different lofted iron, or a lower spinning iron.  Ball speed from a 34° face of a players iron isn't a result of COR too much. (trampoline effect).  But spin will play a large role.

I saw them compared to the T100 in 2 separate trackman reviews and in one case they were essentially identical, and in the other comparison the T100 was slightly longer because every shot drew left of the centerline and the i59 were always on the center or right side.  It was a spin thing.

In my indoor trackman testing they were identical to my iBlades in performance but flew a bit lower and a bit less likely to go left on me -which I liked.  When testing them against other irons, I was mostly trying to interpret feel, so I hit them against the new Mizuno 223 and the X-Forged CB, both of which are stronger lofted irons (but 2 irons I love the feel of) so I didn't take note of distance.

So the answer to your question will likely be how much you spin the MP-18 compared to the i59.

Edited by underwater
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

TItleist TSR3 9° HZRDUS

Titleist TSR3 15° HZRDUS

Mizuno 241 4-P KBS Tour

Vokey SM9 50f, 54s, 60m

L.A.B. Link.1

9 hours ago, wobgon said:

I have piddled with mine hitting a shot or two here and there in the winter weather....Will be getting inside this week to give them a go and compare to my two sets of s55's....We will see how it goes.

Anxious to hear - I played s55 irons when they were current.

TItleist TSR3 9° HZRDUS

Titleist TSR3 15° HZRDUS

Mizuno 241 4-P KBS Tour

Vokey SM9 50f, 54s, 60m

L.A.B. Link.1

I’m looking at getting a set of these with the LS 6.0 shaft, I’m currently playing MMCs with $taper stiff 120.  I have hit the 7i at the range, love the flight and feel.  Unfortunately I didn’t have a trackman to compare numbers. I would say the 59 flew a little higher but much straighter than the MCCs.  My MCCs produce a gentle draw, that I didn’t get from the 59. From your experience would you recommend getting the 59s power spec’d to play similar in distance to my MMCs?  

Ping G430 Max 10K Tour 2.0 Black 60 X
Ping G430 15* AV Raw Blue 75 TX

Titleist TSi2 21* AV Raw Blue 75TX
Ping 3 iCrossover Tour 2.0 S 
Ping Blueprint S 5-W UST Dart V 120 F5
Ping Glide 4.0 50S 54S MMT 125 TX

Vokey 58M MMT 125 TX
Lab Mezz 1 Accra 
Snell Prime

12 minutes ago, mileslong said:

From your experience would you recommend getting the 59s power spec’d to play similar in distance to my MMCs?  

I can't speak to the power spec.  That's roughly 2° and im not sure how the bounce would react to the strengthening - and I didn't have the ability to test that before buying.  The MMC GO FAR.  Especially with that $-Taper.  The LS might be similar though.  

The BODY of the i59 is forged and the face is milled steel.  This is the opposite of the other blended clubs out there who forge the face and cast the body.  So, you COULD order the Power-spec and if the bounce bothered you, bend them back to standard yourself or at a trusted shop - because they are soft in the body.  OR PING has a great turnaround on repair.  3 day fedex plus a day for repair typically.  No missed golf in winter.

TItleist TSR3 9° HZRDUS

Titleist TSR3 15° HZRDUS

Mizuno 241 4-P KBS Tour

Vokey SM9 50f, 54s, 60m

L.A.B. Link.1

Thanks, I’m pretty much on the same page, that they will be easy to adjust if needed.  I’m on the fence but I am thinking I’ll go standard config, unless there is a strong feeling that these play short. I’m not one that is looking for added distance.  I’m more interested in them fitting in with my wedges.  

Ping G430 Max 10K Tour 2.0 Black 60 X
Ping G430 15* AV Raw Blue 75 TX

Titleist TSi2 21* AV Raw Blue 75TX
Ping 3 iCrossover Tour 2.0 S 
Ping Blueprint S 5-W UST Dart V 120 F5
Ping Glide 4.0 50S 54S MMT 125 TX

Vokey 58M MMT 125 TX
Lab Mezz 1 Accra 
Snell Prime

5 hours ago, mileslong said:

Thanks, I’m pretty much on the same page, that they will be easy to adjust if needed.  I’m on the fence but I am thinking I’ll go standard config, unless there is a strong feeling that these play short. I’m not one that is looking for added distance.  I’m more interested in them fitting in with my wedges.  

I got a chance to play P7TW Tiger blades in "Tiger Spec" two years ago for one round.  Those irons went nowhere and it took me about 2-3 holes to figure that out.  BUT, they spun like a top and were so fricking accurate that I really don't care about buying distance irons that pushed my 7 iron over 177 yards any more - my score was not hampered in the least.  There are player irons that will go quit a bit further - such as the Srixon ZX7, X-Forged CB, and Apex Pro, but in the end that +8 yards with less spin never improve my score.  I think it's a badge of honor to be hitting a 7 into a green when all the other cats are comparing biceps and hitting 8 irons.

..that being said, I don't find the i59 to be shorter than most.  To me they play like the Titleist CB, iBlade, P7MC, and the ilk.

Edited by underwater
  • Like 1

TItleist TSR3 9° HZRDUS

Titleist TSR3 15° HZRDUS

Mizuno 241 4-P KBS Tour

Vokey SM9 50f, 54s, 60m

L.A.B. Link.1

18 hours ago, underwater said:

Do you think it was spin or ball speed robbing you of distance? I hit the i59 about the same as my iBlades.  Did you match up your shaft?

No different shaft - stock stiff but honestly that shouldn't change the distance. 

I was just surprised at how easily they got up in the air. I assumed they were a solid forged players cavity. But after one swing i could tell immediately they were a hollow head design. So if you're wanting that solid forged feel - its completely different than say Blueprint. But in a good way - i still enjoyed the look and feel of the club a lot. It was basically the exact opposite of what my irons are. I would say that a fitting would be needed for this set to get your lofts correct for gaps. Its just kind of a tricky iron. THey look so similar to blueprints - but they're nothing like them in terms of feel or flight. Again though i probably only hit ten shots with them. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mileslong said:

I was semi worried about losing distance across the board from my i210s and considered going power spec. I instead ordered them standard and figured I could bend them strong if needed. All I've done is individual lie bending to perfectly fit. Stock lofts aren't a concern whatsoever. Absolutely love these irons!

Signature!

On 1/22/2022 at 12:30 PM, ballywho27 said:

Significantly better consistency with these for me vs T100, JPX, mp20, mb101..

really really impressed with these. They’re not super forgiving but I was surprised how consistent the spin is across a reasonable strike location

9 hours ago, Nic1972 said:

Can anybody compare the I59 to Mizuno MP18 MP / SC? Would I loose any distance if I move to the Ping, as the MP18s are not the longest irons (not designed to…)? I assume forgiveness wise the I59 would be better, even if the MP18 are not difficult to hit?

Thanks!

You will not lose any distance loft for loft. I played mp18 early last year and the standard lofts on i59 are about a half club longer than mp-18 in my experience.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Stinger83 said:

No different shaft - stock stiff but honestly that shouldn't change the distance. 

I was just surprised at how easily they got up in the air. I assumed they were a solid forged players cavity. But after one swing i could tell immediately they were a hollow head design. So if you're wanting that solid forged feel - its completely different than say Blueprint. But in a good way - i still enjoyed the look and feel of the club a lot. It was basically the exact opposite of what my irons are. I would say that a fitting would be needed for this set to get your lofts correct for gaps. Its just kind of a tricky iron. THey look so similar to blueprints - but they're nothing like them in terms of feel or flight. Again though i probably only hit ten shots with them. 

I am still waiting on my 3 iron to go with my 4-9 blueprints(long time Ping UK); to me they will go perfectly. I am going same shaft and will use it a lot on links golf. I am replacing my P790 as I want an iron that will be consistent with distance and not go too far sometimes!

• Like 1
  • Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

Something off the garage I thought would be fun to share:

(EDIT: These are not mine; just an insta photo I thought was cool.)

168500018_ScreenShot2022-01-27at08_58_40.png.95380e4d7da58122319ea4eb7ead3ad1.png

Edited by karstens_ghost
Clarity
  • Like 4

Ping-logo-283444624.jpeg 410LST 9º (TourX) RogueST 3D (ADDI 6X) [OMG what?], 425 3w 14.5º (TourX), 430 3h 19º & 4 iCross (HZRDUS Red 6.0), i230 5-U, G4 54º, GFP 59º (DART105F4). 2021 Fetch (BGT Tour Black).

"Golf is just a dance with a stick, and a ball tells you how good a dancer you are."  LCP150mm in your fairway should be a full-time rule.