2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Ping i59

johngalt312

2 hours ago, karstens_ghost said:

Something off the garage I thought would be fun to share:

(EDIT: These are not mine; just an insta photo I thought was cool.)

168500018_ScreenShot2022-01-27at08_58_40.png.95380e4d7da58122319ea4eb7ead3ad1.png

Very cool.  That Damascus Steel vibe

• Like 2

TItleist TSR3 9° HZRDUS

Titleist TSR3 15° HZRDUS

PING G430h 19° Ventus HB-8

Mizuno 241 4-P KBS Tour

Vokey SM9 50f, 54s, 60m

L.A.B. Link.1

On 1/23/2022 at 9:48 AM, underwater said:

I'm new here - I hope I don't break etiquette by uploading all these pics.  Please tell me if I should remove them.  

In a few of these pics I described which iron is in the photo.  The 8 iron is gorgeous and the PW is a classy shape.  Anyway, here are the pics promised (this is not a classified listing, rather just some closeups for folks considering i59, or waiting on an order.)

PING i59 

4-PW

Blue Dot

Standard loft

Modus 120-S +1/4" with no Arccos to disrupt length (PING got it right with length instead of over-trimming for Arccos)

Golf Pride Tour Velvet Gold Code which is midsize in PING speak.  (no Arrcos)

IMG_0514.jpeg

IMG_0515.jpeg

IMG_0516.jpeg

IMG_0517.jpeg

IMG_0518.jpeg

IMG_0519.jpeg

IMG_0520.jpeg

IMG_0521.jpeg

IMG_0524.jpeg

IMG_0526.jpeg

I'm about to order a set and I do not want arccos grips. If I order the clubs with tour velvets do I need to order them 1/4" long so that they'll play standard length?

• Like 1

Ai Smoke 💎💎💎 9* Ventus TR Red 6X BRNR Mini 13.5* Diamana ZF 70X

Paradym 💎💎💎T 18* Ventus Red 8X

ZX Utility 4 iron Steelfiber 110X

P7TW 5-PW DG Tour Issue X100

SM10 Jet Black 52F, 56S, 60M DG Tour Issue S400

Odyssey Versa #7

Pro V1X

29 minutes ago, Lloyd_Christmas29 said:

I'm about to order a set and I do not want arccos grips. If I order the clubs with tour velvets do I need to order them 1/4" long so that they'll play standard length?

Just order them at the length you want and specify what grip you want.  Ping will build them to that length with the specified grip.  Make sure to specify the swing weight you want as well.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, skraly said:

Just order them at the length you want and specify what grip you want.  Ping will build them to that length with the specified grip.  Make sure to specify the swing weight you want as well.

How the heck do I figure out what swing weight I want? I hit them in store with Project X LS 6.5 and that set had arccos grips. Whatever swing weight came standard those should be fine. I wonder if that extra length on the shaft vs the cap on the arccos grip will make them feel heavier.

Odyssey Versa #7

Pro V1X

22 hours ago, Lloyd_Christmas29 said:

I had this concern.  Just order the non-Arccos grip of your choice and SPECIFY non-Arccos!  If there is an Arccos version of your grip (for example the new GolfPride TV and MCC have Arccos versions) you don't want to accidentally get that because you assumed there wasn't an Arccos version of you grip selection.  When PING builds irons to accommodate Arccos grips they trim about 1/4" from the butt of your shaft to accommodate - WHICH IS A CRIME !!!

I specified NON-arccos and my i59 were not pre-trimmed.   I almost punted on PING irons this year because of this Arccos thing.

BUT, if you say nothing about your grips, you get Arccos and an extra 1/4" permanently cut off your shafts, by default.

For the record, I think Arccos is one of the WORST business decisions by PING.  Not a single person at my golf club uses Arccos.  It's like Apple putting that "free U2 album" on your iPod/iPhone a few years ago.   Nobody wants it, and if some people use it, it's like 2% of  high handicap golfers.  People change their grips all the time and they will be forced to buy Arccos grips.

My buddy re-gripped his G425 19° hybrid last year and put on a standard tour velvet.  His club ended up C8++ and 3/8th's of an inch shorter than it's meant to be.

Not only that, PING trims your shaft and puts on Arccos grips which have an extended rubber section to accommodate the sensor.  But it's a rubber plug and your grip feels sloppy at the butt.  It's not a stable extension.  So your steel shafts are cut short and replaced with grips that have flexible 1/4"+ butt..

Can you imagine forcing the golfer to buy Arccos equipped grips every time they re-grip their personal irons, OR their clubs play 1/4" shorter and 1.5-2 swing weights lighter?  Your D2 irons become D0 because you didn't buy into the Arccos scam when you re-gripped.

</rant>

Edited by underwater
  • Like 2

TItleist TSR3 9° HZRDUS

Titleist TSR3 15° HZRDUS

Mizuno 241 4-P KBS Tour

Vokey SM9 50f, 54s, 60m

L.A.B. Link.1

One more thing - Don't simply order +1/4" assuming what PING might do, and then just cut your irons down if PING didn't Arccos "pre-trim" like you expected, because you will knock 1.5-2 swing weights off your irons. (which is noticeable).

TItleist TSR3 9° HZRDUS

Titleist TSR3 15° HZRDUS

Mizuno 241 4-P KBS Tour

Vokey SM9 50f, 54s, 60m

L.A.B. Link.1

10 hours ago, Lloyd_Christmas29 said:

How the heck do I figure out what swing weight I want? I hit them in store with Project X LS 6.5 and that set had arccos grips. Whatever swing weight came standard those should be fine. I wonder if that extra length on the shaft vs the cap on the arccos grip will make them feel heavier.

Ping lists the standard swing weight with steel shaft at a D1.  So order that.  I don’t know what the arcos equiped grips weigh so I can’t speak to that.  1/4” inch over length will add about 1 swing weight point.  That’s pretty negligible.  But some would have an issue with it.  But if you order +1/4” and a D1 swing weight, if you later want to cut off that 1/4” you will decrease your swing weight by about 1 swing weight point.  So you would end up at D0 or a hair less.

Edited by skraly

16 minutes ago, skraly said:

Ping lists the standard swing weight with steel shaft at a D1.  So order that.  I don’t know what the arcos equiped grips weigh so I can’t speak to that.  1/4” inch over length will add about 1 swing weight point.  That’s pretty negligible.  But some would have an issue with it.  But if you order +1/4” and a D1 swing weight, if you later want to cut off that 1/4” you will decrease your swing weight by about 1 swing weight point.  So you would end up at D0 or a hair less.

I didn't specify swing weight, but  ordered +1/4" (because that's what I play, no other reason) and I specified NO ARCCOS and mine came out D2+.  I weight them and they all live around D2.8 on a digital Mitchell swing weight machine.

Here is my build:

IMG_0616.jpg

TItleist TSR3 9° HZRDUS

Titleist TSR3 15° HZRDUS

Mizuno 241 4-P KBS Tour

Vokey SM9 50f, 54s, 60m

L.A.B. Link.1

I guess no one is buying them, I ordered my set last Monday.  I just got the call, they’re here.  I Iive in NC so there’s a few extra days of shipping.  They must have built them the day I ordered them, really surprised.  

• Like 3

Ping G430 Max 10K Tour 2.0 Black 60 X
Ping G430 15* AV Raw Blue 75 TX

Titleist TSi2 21* AV Raw Blue 75TX
Ping 3 iCrossover Tour 2.0 S 
Ping Blueprint S 5-W UST Dart V 120 F5
Ping Glide 4.0 50S 54S MMT 125 TX

Vokey 58M MMT 125 TX
Lab Mezz 1 Accra 
Snell Prime

1 hour ago, mileslong said:

I guess no one is buying them, I ordered my set last Monday.  I just got the call, they’re here.  I Iive in NC so there’s a few extra days of shipping.  They must have built them the day I ordered them, really surprised.  

Not surprising with the price. I59 seems to be the only Ping iron in stock at any store. I’m only getting them because I can get PUD pricing. I feel bad for all the normal folk. Good to know they should ship fairly quick though!

Odyssey Versa #7

Pro V1X

2 hours ago, underwater said:

One more thing - Don't simply order +1/4" assuming what PING might do, and then just cut your irons down if PING didn't Arccos "pre-trim" like you expected, because you will knock 1.5-2 swing weights off your irons. (which is noticeable).

Noted. I’ll just specify NO arccos when I order them.

Odyssey Versa #7

Pro V1X

I ordered mine No Arccos standard length with the grips not installed.  Length was standard, no 1/4 issue. 

• Like 1

Vokey 58M MMT 125 TX
Lab Mezz 1 Accra 
Snell Prime

Just got back from the range, boy do these things launch the ball high.  I got the LS in 6.0.  They launch much higher than my MCCs with $Taper 120s.  Might have to have them bent to power specs, I’ll see how they play for a few rounds.  Love the feel, I think its better than MCCs, I didn’t think that was the case with the demo set up at my fitting.

Vokey 58M MMT 125 TX
Lab Mezz 1 Accra 
Snell Prime

I have Mizuno 223 and enjoy them. Had a blended 225 set with 5-6i but after hitting the 223 7-PW, ordered the 4-6i.

Had hit the i59 on three different occasions with the Alta shaft and my thoughts are 

1. Great looking club

2. Softer feel than expected

3. Very consistent on Trackman

4.  Traditional spin with std lofts

5. Not long with 34 deg 7i

6. Did I mention the spin and distance were consistent?

7. Slightly smaller than 223

8. Thin sole but good bounce here.

I'm accustomed to builders charging $250/club so this was not sticker shock.

Hey, I'm not a guy with great swing speed and I am in my 60's. So give me the 780ES SmacWrap. If they don't work, the MMT 85 get the nod. They come with Recoil 95 if you ask but 85g is my Goldilocks weight. I did not want Arccos so ordered with regular Tour Velvets with some wraps.

I expect both sets to last several years. When I bagged a set of Honma TW-X this summer, I loved looking at a shorter heel to toe and surprisingly was hitting them center. I'm hitting the 223's in center. Hopefully, I will hit these center. And on the range, the 7i was not difficult to hit center and get up in the air with consistent results. Ordered 1 degree strong.

Edited by SwingMan
  • Like 1

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft @45 in. (coming soon)
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18/ TPT Golf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Ping i230 5-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 or Ping Glide Forged Pro, Both with Nippon 105 
  • Putter:  LAB DF3 TPT Shaft (waiting)
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

So here's a question for the i59's length dilemma. Does ping measure the 38" with the grip on or without the grip? I'm debating whether or not to order a set and this arcco's has my OCD all messed up.

QI10 9 ventus TR blue 6x

QI10 tour 3 15 ventus TR blue 7x

Stealth plus 19 kaili blue 80tx

P770/MC tour issue x100

MG3 50 tour issue s400

MG3 56TW tour issue s400

MG3 60TW tour issue s400

Taylormade MYTP Soto

Prov1x

Vessel VLS lux

2 hours ago, mileslong said:

Just got back from the range, boy do these things launch the ball high.  I got the LS in 6.0.  They launch much higher than my MCCs with $Taper 120s.  Might have to have them bent to power specs, I’ll see how they play for a few rounds.  Love the feel, I think its better than MCCs, I didn’t think that was the case with the demo set up at my fitting.

Just thInk of them as a training aid to get those hands ahead and shaft lean forward 🙂

TItleist TSR3 9° HZRDUS

Titleist TSR3 15° HZRDUS

Mizuno 241 4-P KBS Tour

Vokey SM9 50f, 54s, 60m

L.A.B. Link.1

• 3 weeks later...

Given it's an "I" series, what are the odds this gets a U-wedge? i210 did. i525 does.

Ping-logo-283444624.jpeg 410LST 9º (TourX) RogueST 3D (ADDI 6X) [OMG what?], 425 3w 14.5º (TourX), 430 3h 19º & 4 iCross (HZRDUS Red 6.0), i230 5-U, G4 54º, GFP 59º (DART105F4). 2021 Fetch (BGT Tour Black).

"Golf is just a dance with a stick, and a ball tells you how good a dancer you are."  LCP150mm in your fairway should be a full-time rule.

I finally got my i59 3 iron. It fits in great with the blueprints, same spec, same shaft.

Played my first round of the year and my first two hits of the i59, on a cold(6*C, 44*F), 30mph wind. Old Course on Tuesday.

Both shots were great. 

Shocked how good it was from winter rough with a down wind off the right; flew to a good height and didn't just dive with no spin. I popped up my drive!

The other hit into a par 5, from the fairway into wind off the left and flew perfectly, held its line well with such a strong cold wind .

Very happy with the club so far! shame we now have snow and my golf yesterday was cancelled!

• Like 1
  • Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

16 hours ago, derednesto said:

So I just got back from a fitting at CC - current set is Mizuno 919 Tour w/ Project X 6.5.

When I catch one with the current set I usually fly my six iron around 190-194 yards. However, I've never really got along with the PX 6.5 (blind ordered during the covid fire sale of 2020) and I've noticed my mediocre strikes tend to drop off a lot - as in >10 mph ball speed loss on what feels like a pretty minor miss-hit. Stats from the fitting with the 919s are below:

Current gamer stats:

- avg club speed: 92.8 mph

- avg ball speed: 127.8 mph

- apex: 106 feet

- landing angle: 48.2*

- avg carry: 186.2 yards (std dev = 8.8 yards 🤮)

- avg total distance: 195.0 yards (std dev = 8.6 yards 😬)

I tried out a few different shafts in a 921 tour head (X100, Modus 120, Modus 125, PX LZ, PX LS) and surprisingly found the PX LS to give me the best results. Ball speed on center strikes gained less than a mile per hour vs my current setup (high was 133), but poor strikes only dropped off to 127-128 mph. This alone was a huge improvement over the current setup.

After deciding on the shaft - I tried a few different heads including the i59, T100, Apex TCB, ZX-7, TC-201, MB-101, Mizuno 221, Blueprint and P7TW. The results I saw with the i59 were kind of unbelievable.

i59 w/ PX LS 6.5:

- avg club speed: 93.8 mph

- avg ball speed: 132.5 mph

- apex: 109 feet

- landing angle: 47.2*

- avg carry: 201.1 yards (std dev = 1.7 yards 👌)

- avg total distance: 212.1 yards (std dev = 2.1 yards 👍)

Reading through this thread I got the impression that these heads were quite spinny - but at least in my testing I found these to spin less than the new T100. The only other iron I saw similar distances with was the Srixon ZX7 - which had 2.5* stronger loft and much less spin with a much shallower landing angle.

Obviously your results will vary, but for my swing the i59s were an amazing fit. I managed to pick up almost 15 yards of carry on average while maintaining essentially the same landing angle and reducing the standard deviation of carry and total distances by 75%. While the largest difference was on miss-hits, center strikes would fly about 8 yards farther than the current setup as well. I'll be ordering a set - they're expensive for sure but the gains I saw were kind of hard to ignore.

I’m assuming these are 6 iron numbers, what were your launch and spin conditions?

7 hours ago, Tommyboi95 said:

I’m assuming these are 6 iron numbers, what were your launch and spin conditions?

Launch was identical with both heads (16.5*). Spin on the i59 was slightly lower on average (~5000 RPM vs ~5400 RPM) but that was mainly due to the ball spinning up more on mishits with the 919s. On center strikes the difference seemed to be around 100-200 RPM which is probably due to the shaft more than anything else. The PX LS definitely shallowed out my delivery vs standard PX.

• Like 1

TSR4 9* w/ Tensei 1K White 60 TX

SIM2 Ti 15* w/ Ventus Black 7X

T200 3i w/ Ventus Black 9TX

T100 4i, 620 MB 5i-9i w/ DG TI X100

Vokey SM10 Raw 46.10F @ 47*, 52.12F, 56.10S, 60.06K/60.04T w/ DG TI S400

Special Select Newport 2 w/ YSC

15 hours ago, scott_Donald said:

I finally got my i59 3 iron. It fits in great with the blueprints, same spec, same shaft.

Played my first round of the year and my first two hits of the i59, on a cold(6*C, 44*F), 30mph wind. Old Course on Tuesday.

Both shots were great. 

Shocked how good it was from winter rough with a down wind off the right; flew to a good height and didn't just dive with no spin. I popped up my drive!

The other hit into a par 5, from the fairway into wind off the left and flew perfectly, held its line well with such a strong cold wind .

Very happy with the club so far! shame we now have snow and my golf yesterday was cancelled!

Tough duty having to slog along at The Old Course….. lol

• Like 1

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

They look good to me - 7i.

IMG_1103.jpeg.04fa0969e1e45bcb5591aa5218cbb5f5.jpeg

• Like 4

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft @45 in. (coming soon)
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18/ TPT Golf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Ping i230 5-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 or Ping Glide Forged Pro, Both with Nippon 105 
  • Putter:  LAB DF3 TPT Shaft (waiting)
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

17 hours ago, SwingMan said:

They look good to me - 7i.

IMG_1103.jpeg.04fa0969e1e45bcb5591aa5218cbb5f5.jpeg

Like everything about them except the half bottom groove. It’s like nails on a chalkboard for me…. 

7 hours ago, scott_Donald said:

IMG_1066.jpeg.e9d0163070b57b08ceebdb2499189346.jpegIMG_1105.jpeg.61703ca5f4e2c4b2b6974a2fa4eb0afb.jpegIMG_1109.jpeg.fc1736eb134b6046063b7c43d459f180.jpegIMG_1116.jpeg.846af082a43922723ffc6614f7915514.jpeg

Sure…. Rub it in why don’t you. The Old girl looks great!

Edited by hammergolf

7 minutes ago, hammergolf said:

Sure…. Rub it in why don’t you. The Old girl looks great!

For Mid February certainly, greens were great but it has been such a warm windy winter!

• Like 1
  • Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217