ISPS HANDA VIC OPEN VICTORIA, AUSTRALIAFEB 06-09

So Yeon Ru was so lucky to tee off early. Didn't play that well on the first two days but the wind blew away so many from above her that now she's T5.

Cobra Speedzone 10.5 Aldila Rogue Silver
Cobra Speedzone 18.5 Aldila Rogue Silver
Callaway Apex UT 18, Recoil 95
Callaway Apex Pro 3i, Recoil 95
Callaway Apex Pro 4-9,P Recoil 110
Callaway MD4 54, 58
Ping Sigma G Kinloch C

Some pretty tragic scores today. I do like watching pros tackle tough conditions but this is a bit too much.

No shortage of good candidates to the Korean olympic team.

Not sure what to expect from tomorrow, but I will be playing in the morning at the other side of Port Phillip Bay and it's even windier there. Not sure if it's smart but I'll give it a try and if it's not safe or playable maybe drive to Thirteenth Beach. Could take a ferry across the bay instead of driving around it, that should be fun in this weather ;)

Callaway MD4 54, 58
Ping Sigma G Kinloch C

It's like Strรถm in Linnea Strรถm but with Sag (long a, like sag as in what's Hindi for spinach) in front of it and a tiny break between Sag and Strรถm. Bring the intonation a tiny bit up towards the end and don't swallow the wovel in the end like the Americans tend to do. Plus keep the tongue a bit closer to your front teeth instead of the top of the mouth when pronouncing the r. Easy!

Here's some native guidance :)

Callaway MD4 54, 58
Ping Sigma G Kinloch C

The broadcast is always hopeless for this, my feeling is it's slowly improving. The spectators know where the quality is, generally we see great numbers following the leading women's groups. I will admit tho that not many hung around for the final group today, which included Sagstrom.

For what's it's worth SYR had plenty of wind to deal with, I followed her for a while and she just flat out played the conditions well. I was surprised by Lee6 today, she didn't adapt well and toward the end of her round her swing seems quite affected. She was being out driven regularly on the headwind holes, made me wonder if too much spin on her drives or if the wind was just messing with her strike.

The 14th hole was directly downwind, peaking with 45mph gusts, and everyone was driving thru the fairway. Alena Sharp was unlucky to finish just in front of a bush with no real backswing, she almost had an airwswing only moving the ball a few feet forward and halting her momentum with a bogey. Then drove the par4 15th hole, and three putted to miss out on the bounce back birdie. Not deterred standing on the tough 17th par three tee box she flushed a long iron that lipped out for a hole in one then drained the putt for a 2. She impressed me and seemed quite relaxed in the conditions, one to watch tomorrow.

The pins were generally right back on the downwind holes, giving the players a chance to fly onto the green and hold them. However i saw plenty of playing making a real mess of things when pin hunting even after their tee shots left them with poor angles in. More patience and respect for the conditions needed by a few tomorrow.

Omg...just watching on DVR.

Did you guys catch the 5+ minute exchange back & forth where NONE of them including Laura Davies(!) knew the rule about attending the flagstick...unbelievable.

I mean, yeah, rules have changed...but the caddy was tending and a putt came in hot and they all said "the caddy should have just left the pin in so the ball would hit it".

Whew...crazy. Finally someone either looked it up or probably someone in the production booth clued them in that the flagstick tended rule is still the same

TM R1
TM Rbz Stage2 3w (15) & 3 hyb (19)
Mizuno MP-64 4-Pw
Mizuno MP-T5 50-7
Titleist Vokey SM-4 54-8 & 58-12
Ping TR 1966 Anser2

Looks like Ayean is the real deal, even if she doesn't manage to hold the lead on Sunday. Would she take LPGA membership if she won? Doubtful, but it would be interesting.

Hee Young played to par, allowing her to move up nicely as the leaders faded in tougher conditions.

Tough day for Haley and 6ix. Both missed the day 3 cut after firing 79's. Good start for Haley, though.

I'd say Madelene still has the edge. However, with big scores possible, a player six shots back could still win this thing with a round of 70,

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat)ย - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Do you guys think the US players would benefit from a real/legitimate "training" tour/farm system? For the absolute best, it won't matter. They will compete and win anywhere. But for the others, competing and finishing T60 vs competing and progressing/learning to win can be a big mental difference.

I don't know all of the age differences but even JYK and Lee6 aren't low 20s. Would Fassi play differently in 2 years not bouncing between MCs and T20 finishes?

In theory the Symetra Tour should serve this purpose. However, with only 20 events spread out across the country, it doesn't quite stack up to the KLPGA's schedule of 32 tournaments, 28 of which are located within a few hundred miles of Seoul. The purses on the KLPGA are at least 5 times larger, allowing players to make a decent living, and/or pay for coaching, etc.

Then there's the competition. I don't think it's a surprise that the depth of talent on the KLPGA greatly surpasses the Symetra Tour. Same with the JLPGA. Both tours have players ranked inside the World Top 50.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

ย 

In practice, KLPGA, JLPHA, LET, Symetra Tour, Thailand, Australia, Taiwan and Philippines are all farms for LPGA'; that's why LPGA is so tough.

Symetra Tour players would be a lot more successful if it's the only road to LPGA.

By the way, Jin Young Ko was born in 1995, Lucky 6 1996, Hye Jin Choi 1999, Ayean Cho 2000 and Maria Fassi 1997.

HEEEEEEEE YOUNG WOOOOOOOOOOOO

Gah what all she was saying about last year and thinking of leaving, then to turn around to a full win... hope she is super happy, Rocket forever

I died after that eagle putt attempt on the first round, but she soldiered through. Felt bad for Hye-Jin on that pine-cone lie, she handled everything gracefully.

Was cheering for So Yeon too of course, but was really hoping for Hee Young. Because just like MJ's season last year, what great things can still happen.

She even did it with a bit of her signature fashion, in the hot red pants lol

Oh no it's late, only sheer love for Hee Young kept me watching, must sleep

Absolutely fab (disregarding the coverage!). As an Aussie it was interesting to watch with local knowledge of those grasses/weeds/conditions. But I am not sure if Hye Jin even had a choice of what club to hit for her 2nd on the 4th play-off hole. She had to get it above the gauze, but below some branches, with a pine cone to deal with also. What she produced is what we hackers have done a trillion times, shaking our heads because we thought we hit the back of the ball cleanly.

I think the 18th was a dreadful play-off hole. Every drive finished left (with one notable exception) - then the 2nd shot was a lottery, with the false front, bouncy green, and howling left to right wind. There was no attacking play, no conservative play - just a hit and hope. Pup it up and pray.

Hye Jin Choi continues to impress.

These boards have many Hee Young Park fans. I got into this women's game intensely at the start of 2016, so she has never been a factor for me in my time as a supporter. I have just looked on at the adulation, and recognise she must have been something in her day, like today! Great looking swig - didn't miss under pressure.

Was I the only one a bit underwhelmed by that play off? Wish the first eagle putt by Park had dropped. Sure there must be a better way than going back and forth the eighteenth hole and waiting for someone to make a mistake. Just start from the first hole and keep playing until someone wins a hole. Maybe not very convenient for spectators but a bit smarter than the back and forth on the last hole.

Hope the weather will behave better in Adelaide. The early forecasts look ok.

Callaway MD4 54, 58
Ping Sigma G Kinloch C

That was crazy! I can't recall the last time we had so much back and forth at the top of the leaderboard. It was like watching a demolition derby. 'Hate to see conditions and bad/good breaks play such a huge factor, but they gotta play in it. Kudos to the production team for showing the back and forth action. I was afraid they'd stick with the final group, and we'd miss the fun.

As a huge Rocket fan, I'm thrilled for Hee Young. To think that she was going to quit the game last year , it's a heck of a bounce back. I followed her group at Indy last season, and spoke with her after her round. She was very upbeat about keeping her card. 'Hope to see more of her this season.

At the same time I'm heartbroken for So Yeon. That drive on her final hole was costly, even if she did wind up making par. A birdie would have sealed it. Great start to her season, though. Chin up.

The focus was on Ayean, but I had a hunch Hye Jin was going to be in the mix. The broadcast team stated that Ayean was the lead of the next generation of Korean golfers, but somehow forgot that Hye Jin was preparing for the playoff. She had some great clutch putts, and was one of only two players to break 70. Well done. Oh, and one point for me for predicting a top 10. Lol. I should have said top 5.

Leona's great play earns me a second point for a rookie in the top 10. Sure seems she's comfortable playing in the wind.

Rough day for Madelene and Ayean. Both players did admirably in the tough conditions on Saturday, but I guess the final round pressure got to them. After dropping shots, they just couldn't seem to bounce back and string together a few pars.

ย 

Mixed feelings about the 18th hole. Sure, it can bring a lot of trouble and wonky lies into play, but that's the risk reward aspect of its design. A player can lay back, and still reach the green in two. In fact, it seemed that coming up short of the green was the best play (next to hitting the green of course).