2 Hybrid or 4 wood

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

TXG did a video on FW vs. Hybrid vs. Long iron. It's worth a watch in this conversation.

I play the mizuno CLK. Incredible options with the shafts , adjustable and things go like an arrow. Chuck them on your to try list! Wont regret it

Here is the summary of this distances. ALOT MORE TO CONSIDER then length. Eg - spin, peak height, stopping etc   Im after a safer straighter option. Not longer myself.

I rely a lot on my 4W and 7W, but I have seen players who ride the hybrids.

One was a young assistant pro I got paired with who was preparing for the upcoming PGA Player Ability Test at our course. He played Driver, 2H and 4H as his long clubs. He had the range with his hybrids to get home in two in two of the Par 5 holes. He said he didn't lost much distance with just hybrids, and the 2H was pretty much his "go to" club for several uses.

A second person still had a 3W in the bag, but said he seldom used it. He was a college golfer at a benefit golf tournament. His tournament "job" was to hit a tee shot for your group on a short Par 4 for $5. The hole played 278 yards, and he was hitting a 2H because his 3W was "flying the green." This guy was about 5-foot-8 and maybe 150 pounds, but he could really blast the ball.

If you've got the distance and the 2H bumps the FWs - or FWs are a control nightmare - go with all hybrids!

What's In The Bag (Summary as of October 2020)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° set +1°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i-9i

Wedges:  Calla MD3: 48° and 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced)

Ball: Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

For details see:  Pending (need protocol to embed file list).

Yer the later is the issue. My 3 and 4 hybrids are my favourite clubs to hit. I used my fairway in comp today and it cost me the hole and i ended up wiping that hole. Rest of par 5s i just used the 3 hybrid. Was alot safer and also more confidence came with this.

I don't know that these would necessarily compete for the same exact distance so I think it's more about what you need. The hybrid would most definitely have a shorter shaft and probably a degree (or two) more loft. That'll equate to at least 10 or 15 yards difference. I think the 4w optimizes power and range in this scenario while the strong hybrid might appeal more to the player looking for a more forgiving iron.

These days I'm rocking a 15-deg 3w and a 19-deg hybrid. That seems to be a good combo. That said, a lot depends on how well the hybrid suits you. You have to find the right (head) shape and the right shaft so you actually feel confident you can control the hybrid as well as you might an iron. .

SIM (10.5o) (Tensei Pro Org.)
TS2 4w (17o)

M6 7w (21o)

z785 (4-Pw)
SM8 52-F / 56-F / 60-S
Newport 2 Select

Currently playing a 4 wood (17) and 3 hybrid (20). Thinking about replacing the 4 wood with the 17 degree super callaway hybrid. I rarely hit the 4W off the tee. And only from the deck if I have a shot at the green. Otherwise use 3 hybrid to advance the ball. A lower lofted hybrid might be safer to hit from the deck, especially if i am not sacrificing a ton of distance.

PING G410+ 9* TPO 60S

Adams XTD 17* Fubuki 

Callaway Apex 20* AD DI 85s

Callaway Apex 23* OBAN Kiyoshi Purple

5-6 Srixon Z585 Modus 120S

7-PW Srixon Z785 Modus 120S

52 Ping Glide 3.0

56 and 60, TM Hi Toe

EVNROLL ER3

I cannot stop the ball on the green with 17 hybrid.

So, went to 16.5 wood and it is much better for me(less chance of hooking is bonus)

Cobra                    F9 9.0 Driver w/HZRDUS Smoke 60 6.5
Titleist                  TS2 16.5 Wood w/HZRDUS Smoke 70 6.5
Ping                      G410 19 Hybrid w/KBS Tour Proto 95 X
Titleist                  818 H2 23 Hybrid w/Accra TZ5 95 X

Titleist                  716 TMB 5 Iron w/x100 
Titleist                  718 AP2 6-P w/x100
Cleveland             RTX 4.0 52/56/60 Wedges w/s400
Bettinardi             BB2 Putter 

I used to love my 4 wood, but having major issues with my fairway woods. I find hybrids are much easier and safer to hit off the deck and tee with some sacrifice in distance. I am currently in the market for a 2 hybrid. My current distance with M6 4H is 200 - 210ish. Wish Taylormade made M6 in 2H.

Few I want to try:

Callaway Super hybrid

Tour Edge EXE 220

Cobra F9 (I never got along with Cobra, but doesn't hurt to try.)

My list seems to grow by the day.

Driver: Ping G400 Max 10.5 Stock Alta (need shaft fitting)
Fairway Wood: Ryoma F5
Hybrid: TaylorMade M6 4H & 6H
Irons: OnOff Kuro 2015 6 - PW
Wedge: Cleveland RTX4 50, 54 and 58
Putter: S.C. GoLo 3
Ball: TaylorMade TP5X
Club hoe, builder, fitter and tester as hobbyist since 1993

Unless you're pretty shallow and you have high speed, I wouldn't game a 17* hybrid. If the reason you're looking into one is you find fairways to be big looking... Something like an m1 or any "tour" model head is going to be pretty compact.

SIM Max 9* | Ventus Black 6x

SIM Ti 19* | Fujikura Pro 2.0 TS 8x

Cobra Speedzone 18.5* | Accra FX 2.0 380M5

Titleist 818H1 | Ventus blue 10x

i210 5-PW | X100 Tour Issue 1xSS

Ping Glide 3.0 50/12, 54/12 | S400 Tour Issue

Cleveland CBX Full Face 60/10 | S400 Tour Issue Onyx

Cleveland SOFT Premier #4 (Compass Golf Co. Custom Atwood incoming!!)

ProV1x

TXG did a video on FW vs. Hybrid vs. Long iron. It's worth a watch in this conversation.

• Like 1

TS 3 8.5º w/ LAGP TOUR AXS 70X
917F3 16.5º w/ Grafalloy blue
T-MB 2 iron C-Taper
Mizuno MP-5,  4-9 C-Taper
SM6 47º, 52º, 56º, 60 C-Taper
Scotty Special Select Newport 2, 35" Tour Issue X7, Hard stepped x2, Tipped 2"

Yes, I agree, it's a great video. Here is the link:

Driver: Ping G400 Max 10.5 Stock Alta (need shaft fitting)
Fairway Wood: Ryoma F5
Hybrid: TaylorMade M6 4H & 6H
Irons: OnOff Kuro 2015 6 - PW
Wedge: Cleveland RTX4 50, 54 and 58
Putter: S.C. GoLo 3
Ball: TaylorMade TP5X
Club hoe, builder, fitter and tester as hobbyist since 1993

Exactly

I haven’t been able to find a hybrid I like meanwhile give me any fairway wood and I can rip it way better.

in fact I switched my 19 hybrid for an 18 fairway wood after I realized how much confidence I had in the 15 degree wood. And that is of the deck too never tee up my fairways. bump the ground slightly and let it rip

I used to use TM TP 14* and 19* instead of FWs on short courses. Worked out ok, but I really prefer fairway woods now by far.

Callaway Mavrik SZ Speeder 757
Callaway Super Hybrid 17 Tensei Orange
Callaway Super Hybrid 20 Tensei Orange
Callaway Epic Forged 4-7 iron
Callaway Apex MB 8-AW
Callaway PM Tour Grey 54/ 58/ 64
Evnroll ER2B

I've tried every possible combination. Currently it's 4 wood and 19 deg hybrid. Hopefully this setup works for a while.

"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
WITB: Cobra F9 9.5 ~ Ping Anser 4w ~ Ping G30 3h ~ Cobra King Utility ~ Cobra King Forged One 4-P ~ Cobra King 50-V, 56-WL ~ Ping Sigma G Piper 3