2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

New Tiger Woods Launch Monitor

5 hours ago, larciel said:

so how is this unit getting claims for 'most accurate LM' ?  is this using Camera and radar?

My understanding is that the camera is only to capture swing footage. It's definitely going to be a radar system since it has intended outdoor use, so there's a chance it could hit or miss since they specialized in camera-based simulators.

They already have a successful brand, and now Tiger. I hope they're working out the bugs and it's not a product that needs multiple software updates to get right since they've branded themselves as top-tier products. Maybe it's as capable as the $10,000 units (minus the less-important data) and they start low to gain market share, or maybe you end up paying for it in software upgrades or some other subscription?

10 minutes ago, Indygolfer18 said:

My understanding is that the camera is only to capture swing footage. It's definitely going to be a radar system since it has intended outdoor use, so there's a chance it could hit or miss since they specialized in camera-based simulators.

They already have a successful brand, and now Tiger. I hope they're working out the bugs and it's not a product that needs multiple software updates to get right since they've branded themselves as top-tier products. Maybe it's as capable as the $10,000 units (minus the less-important data) and they start low to gain market share, or maybe you end up paying for it in software upgrades or some other subscription?

Thanks for that.

So this brand is already known one? I've never heard of it or its products before.

28 minutes ago, larciel said:

Thanks for that.

So this brand is already known one? I've never heard of it or its products before.

A good amount of pros use their home simulators. I think Spieth, Day, Rahm, and Woodland do to name a few, but their models start at $39,000! I'm sure they can get a radar LM right based on their reputation, but you never know since it's their first take on it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, i*windows said:

looks super cool,but $4k is $2k over my budget 😞

I was willing to stretch the budget a bit thinking it was camera-based… now that there's a need for 10 feet in front and behind, it puts me squarely back onto SkyTrak. 

• Like 1

Ping-logo-283444624.jpeg 410LST 9º (TourX) RogueST 3D (ADDI 6X) [OMG what?], 425 3w 14.5º (TourX), 430 3h 19º & 4 iCross (HZRDUS Red 6.0), i230 5-U, G4 54º, GFP 59º (DART105F4). 2021 Fetch (BGT Tour Black).

"Golf is just a dance with a stick, and a ball tells you how good a dancer you are."  LCP150mm in your fairway should be a full-time rule.

3 minutes ago, larciel said:

I thought Camera based was inferior? 

Technically, it can be. However, the great advantage of a camera-based system is there is no additional size requirement for an indoor studio. A net and the absolute minimum space of 10' behind and 10' in front, that's a big space for many. It's larger than, say, most bedrooms.

For some, that won't be a problem. For me, I don't have that much room.

Ping-logo-283444624.jpeg 410LST 9º (TourX) RogueST 3D (ADDI 6X) [OMG what?], 425 3w 14.5º (TourX), 430 3h 19º & 4 iCross (HZRDUS Red 6.0), i230 5-U, G4 54º, GFP 59º (DART105F4). 2021 Fetch (BGT Tour Black).

"Golf is just a dance with a stick, and a ball tells you how good a dancer you are."  LCP150mm in your fairway should be a full-time rule.

13 hours ago, larciel said:

I thought Camera based was inferior? 

I think it really depends on usage. Camera based you will get better readings on club/face angle etc. Also better readings indoors generally. When you're looking at GC Quad lvl it's really tough to beat. Outdoors you'll get a bit better results on TM for high speed applications like drives etc. 

• Thanks 1

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9* w/ Hzrdus Smoke Black

Irons : Callaway Apex Pro '21 5-AW-- S400 (S)

Woods: Callaway Epic Speed 3W

Putter: TM HydroBlast Del Monte 1

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, larciel said:

So does this calculate spin correctly? 

All of the launch monitors (decent ones) measure spin directly - that's only way to get an accurate ball flight.  So if your question is "does it measure spin accurately", I think the answer is no one knows.  It's hard to generate a truth model that you can compare these too for a single shot.  Once it's released someone could do a direct GC quad comparison.  But I wouldn't hold your breath.  IMO I haven't seen what I would consider a good comparison between any units because I think it requires a lot of shots and looking at averages, std dev's, removing outliers, etc. and most people with these units just aren't statisticians.

3 hours ago, TD22057 said:

All of the launch monitors (decent ones) measure spin directly - that's only way to get an accurate ball flight.  So if your question is "does it measure spin accurately", I think the answer is no one knows.  It's hard to generate a truth model that you can compare these too for a single shot.  Once it's released someone could do a direct GC quad comparison.  But I wouldn't hold your breath.  IMO I haven't seen what I would consider a good comparison between any units because I think it requires a lot of shots and looking at averages, std dev's, removing outliers, etc. and most people with these units just aren't statisticians.

thanks

I guess my direct question would be 'is waiting to buy this at $4k worth it than getting Mevo + now for $1800'

I saw on reviews Mevo+ has pretty terrible spin measurement especially on drivers.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, larciel said:

thanks

I guess my direct question would be 'is waiting to buy this at $4k worth it than getting Mevo + now for $1800'

I saw on reviews Mevo+ has pretty terrible spin measurement especially on drivers.

I went with the Mevo+... a week before they discounted it.

Overall very happy with it. Any indoor application for the Kit will be a challenge due to space restrictions. 

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9* w/ Hzrdus Smoke Black

Irons : Callaway Apex Pro '21 5-AW-- S400 (S)

Woods: Callaway Epic Speed 3W

Putter: TM HydroBlast Del Monte 1

15 hours ago, larciel said:

thanks

If you're using it indoors, you probably want to have a minimum of 10 ft of ball flight before hitting a net/screen or you could have spin issues especially with the longer clubs. If you're using it outside on the range with full ball flight, a radar unit shouldn't have too many issues with spin. I haven't used the Mevo+, i'm just speaking radar in general.

4 hours ago, LAslicer said:

If you're using it indoors, you probably want to have a minimum of 10 ft of ball flight before hitting a net/screen or you could have spin issues especially with the longer clubs. If you're using it outside on the range with full ball flight, a radar unit shouldn't have too many issues with spin. I haven't used the Mevo+, i'm just speaking radar in general.

You're right.

The Mevo+ when outdoors, is very accurate measuring spin, in my personal experience with it.

Indoors, it's a bit more iffy. Like you said, the more ball flight you have, the better it is when hitting into a net or screen.

31 minutes ago, theboypinoy said:

You're right.

The Mevo+ when outdoors, is very accurate measuring spin, in my personal experience with it.

Indoors, it's a bit more iffy. Like you said, the more ball flight you have, the better it is when hitting into a net or screen.

when you guys say outdoor is better, does that include outdoor net with 10ft of clearance? or just pure outdoor range with 250yds of sight?

21 hours ago, theboypinoy said:

Outdoor range.

Hitting into a net outdoors is essentially the same as indoors.

Purely speculation based on general radar theory - but I suspect that one of the big differences between the mevo's and their bigger brothers is the strength of the signal and the amount of signal processing done on the return signal.  So the environment can have a potential effect on detection threshold for any radar.  For some it might be easier to reduce excess noise returns and improve performance outdoors than indoors.  

Edited by Stuart_G
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I emailed Full Swing today and got this response:

Hi Travis-

We plan to launch the KIT to market later this summer, targeting September.  You will be notified 30 days prior to your ship date to handle the balance.

With the Full Swing Kit, you will be able to get 15 points of data feedback after each shot, as well as swing 1080p HD Video Capture.

1.       Carry Distance

2.       Total Distance

3.       Side Carry

4.       Side Total

5.       Apex

6.       Launch Angle

7.       Horizontal Angle (Ball Direction)

8.       Attack Angle

9.       Club Speed

10.   Ball Speed

11.   Smash Factor

12.   Club Path

13.   Club Face

14.   Spin

15.   Spin Axis

Thank you for your continued patience,

FSG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/15/2021 at 12:08 PM, theboypinoy said:

Outdoor range.

Hitting into a net outdoors is essentially the same as indoors.

Not necessarily, indoors you get a lot of interference from walls, objects, lights, appliances, etc. That is why you have the stickers, it helps the radar "see" the ball better and differentiate it from the other signals that get bounced back.  The Mevo+ does not track the entire ball flight like the higher power radar units, so outdoors into a sufficiently large net likely isn't much different than at the range.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Krt22 said:

Not necessarily, indoors you get a lot of interference from walls, objects, lights, appliances, etc. That is why you have the stickers, it helps the radar "see" the ball better and differentiate it from the other signals that get bounced back.  The Mevo+ does not track the entire ball flight like the higher power radar units, so outdoors into a sufficiently large net likely isn't much different than at the range.

FYI - the sticker is not about helping deal with interference.  As I understand it, It's there to allow the radar unit to see and count the number of revolutions of the ball over a certain period of time for the short flight. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Stuart_G said:

FYI - the sticker is not about helping deal with interference.  As I understand it, It's there to allow the radar unit to see and count the number of revolutions of the ball over a certain period of time for the short flight. 

There is that for sure, but it absolutely has to help with the SNR  

Edited by Krt22

41 minutes ago, Stuart_G said:

How good the other (non-spin) numbers are indoors w/o the metallic dot would be a way to tell how much help, or rather how important that help might be.

Anecdotally, I had far fewer misreads with stickers than not (ie completely missed the shot). Obviously far more calculated spin shots without stickers or with well worn ones. 

• Like 1

On 7/13/2021 at 3:14 PM, tschr22 said:

I emailed Full Swing today and got this response:

Hi Travis-

We plan to launch the KIT to market later this summer, targeting September.  You will be notified 30 days prior to your ship date to handle the balance.

With the Full Swing Kit, you will be able to get 15 points of data feedback after each shot, as well as swing 1080p HD Video Capture.

1.       Carry Distance

2.       Total Distance

3.       Side Carry

4.       Side Total

5.       Apex

6.       Launch Angle

7.       Horizontal Angle (Ball Direction)

8.       Attack Angle

9.       Club Speed

10.   Ball Speed

11.   Smash Factor

12.   Club Path

13.   Club Face

14.   Spin

15.   Spin Axis

Thank you for your continued patience,

FSG

Club data?!?  How much is this thing?

Callaway Epic Speed 9° Driver
Callaway Epic Speed 4W - Smoke IM10

Callaway Apex UW (21°)

Mizuno Pro 225 (4i); 223 (5-9i); 221 (PW)
Jaws MD 5 50°, Full Toe 54°, 58° PM Grind
Toulon Odyssey Chicago