Any faster guys here with 4h in the bag?

Z1ggy16

110 mph ss here as well. I use 3W 2H 4H.

4H is a 23 degree Adams Pro hybrid with the stock Aldila Tour Red shaft. Oldest club in my bag, I've put it up against all the new driving irons on simulators and nothing can beat it. It doesn't balloon in the wind, easy to hit stringers with and can shape it whatever direction you want. If you can find one in decent condition you're getting insane value, this was one of the last hybrids Adams ever made.

I’m actually going to hit a Ping G400 4 hybrid that I recently picked up this morning. I put my preferred Diamana D+ 82 X flex in it. I’m like a previous poster, for some reason the transition from 2/3 hybrid to seeing all that loft on the 4hy isn’t giving me good feelings. Looks strange. I’m a high speed guy who still hits a blade 4 iron fine. I’ve just had a lot of success recently with the 2/3 G400 hybrid that I thought I would try a 4hy and see if it works. The G400 has a good mid trajectory for me compared to most hybrids that I hit super high. It’s windy where I play so I'm hoping the 4hy can stay low enough to be playable.

My Jr boy is already ripping me for trying a 4 hybrid!!! He says, “too many head covers for a bag full of Mizuno blades”. LOL If it works, I don’t care.

Titletist TS3 9.5* Tensei Raw Blue 55 S

Titleist TS3 15* 3wd PX Evenflow T-1100 6.0 75

Titleist 818H 17*, 20*, 23* Hybrids w/ Fuji Atmos HB Tour Spec 8S Blue

Titleist 620MB 5-PW KBS Tour V 110S

Vokey SM8 52.08F & 58.08M KBS Tour V 110S

Scotty Cameron Newport Pro Platinum is my gamer. Currently experimenting with an Odyssey Arm Lock Double Wide.

2019 ProV1 

I will save you all the trouble. Go to eBay and buy an Adams 9031 23* and then go buy an Aldila NV 105. You can get this entire set up for less than probably $75 shipped to your door.

This is one club that I have that I have hit more career shots with than anything else in my bag. Of course right now I'm using a 410 Crossover, but thats only really due to the course I'm playing the most right now I need it for a few tee shots, but I'll never sell it and its always just a few bad swings from being put back in the bag.

Edit: I just went and put it back in my bag because...

• Like 3
TBD - G430 Max 15* - 818 H2 19*- Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

About 115 with the driver, and I carry a 4wood and 3h, both Callaway.

The 4 wood can roll out to 275 in the right conditions, so gapping is a problem. The 3h is good for about 245

Which left a lot of yardage between the 3h and the next club in my bag. The "solution" was to get a 4 iron and loft it down to almost a 3. It's better, but I'm looking at 230 on that and about 215 from the 5 iron.

This season I'd like to set the 4wood back to a 5, get a 4h, and switch out my 4&5 irons (JPX919 pro) to the hot metal or whatever is a little more forgiving. Close the gaps and make everything after 6 iron easier to hit in general.

I've been in this no man's land for about 3 years now. The 4 iron slot is a revolving door of 4 iron/hybrid/DI and I still haven't settled on anything. The closest I've come to a 4 hybrid winner is the original Cally Apex with a Diamana D+ 100g X-stiff. The only problem was the shaft was so stiff for me I can't smooth it which is what I want to do with a long club. My Driver SS is 106-110 depending on the day and the weather.

Someone earlier mentioned the NV 105 which I had years ago in my Hogan hybrids. I loved that setup so just picked up two shafts on ebay for $50. I got stiff flex because that is a stout shaft and you can tip it. Going to try them in the Apex.

Cally Epic Speed w/ Accra
Titleist TSR3 16.5 w/ HZRDUS Black 6.5
Ping G425 3 Hybrid w/Ping Tour Chrome X

Ping iCrossover 4 Iron w/Ping Tour Chrome X

Srixon ZX7 5-PW w/ PXLZ 6.0
Cally Jaws Raw w/ TIS400
Ping Fetch/Ping Lil'B

I’ll second the Super Proto 9031. Very nice behind ball and nice mid trajectory. Good feel too. Only issue is they are kind of flat for lie angle and can’t be bent bc of where welds are located on hosel. I just went through all that and have the 18 and 20 heads in a box.

The Aldila RIP 105 is very stout as well. Stiffest X flex I’ve ever tried. I hurt my back after about 30 balls on range. Ha.

Titletist TS3 9.5* Tensei Raw Blue 55 S

Titleist TS3 15* 3wd PX Evenflow T-1100 6.0 75

Titleist 818H 17*, 20*, 23* Hybrids w/ Fuji Atmos HB Tour Spec 8S Blue

Titleist 620MB 5-PW KBS Tour V 110S

Vokey SM8 52.08F & 58.08M KBS Tour V 110S

Scotty Cameron Newport Pro Platinum is my gamer. Currently experimenting with an Odyssey Arm Lock Double Wide.

2019 ProV1 

Have tried this experiment in the past without much success but am giving it another go this year. Around 110 with the driver. Had a SLDR 4h TP with (I think) a Matrix X shaft of some sort (whatever the TP standard shaft was) and hit it too far so it left a gap. Plus it always looked weird to me - almost like it had onset and the face was sticking way out in front. Then bought an Adams DHY 4 off ebay with a Steelfiber and also hit that too far so the gap between it and my 5 iron was too large. Finally gave up and went back to the 4 iron. Bored in the winter and bought a 24* Titleist 915h on ebay with a steel KBS hybrid shaft. Got the idea after looking at Webb's WITB. I love my 915h 2 hybrid so i figured why not give it a shot. Thinking about putting a DG105 X100 in it as the KBS seems a little whippy. Have only hit it a couple of times at the range but I think I am on to something here. Didnt go much further than my 4iron but more testing to be done.

I play a g410 4 hybrid as a 5 wood. It fits the distance gap perfectly and I can hit it really low if I want with a hard flat fade. Or hit it high to land soft. Today’s hybrids are a lot less hybrid and a lot more woods of 20 years ago. My opinion. I love mine. Addi 105x will handle anything I have to throw at it.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I like the NV105 shaft (put it in a 913h 24* hybrid).

In my other hybrids, I've used the thump hybrid shaft (low 90's), mainly for 22 and 25* lofts.

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

I think you are on the right path with your thought process; you'll get more use out of the hybrid than the 4i.

I have a pair of 818 H2s with Tensei Pro White shafts. Love them. I use my 19* (set to 18*) off the tee more often than any other club in my bag. The 21* (set to 22*) is used all over the place: short par 4s, as an escape club and even around the greens on occasion. However it is about 20 yards longer than my 4i, so I'm considering swapping it out for a 25* 818 H1, which will likely go about the same distance but fly higher and land softer, plus will be more effective than either the 4i or the H2 out of deep rough.

I concur with what others have posted. Try some out, and make sure you get fitted for the right shaft. Good luck!

Titleist TSR3 10*: LA Golf Olyss 65S

Titleist TSi2 16.5*: Aldila Rogue Silver 125 70S

Titleist TSR3 19*:  LA Golf Ozik Black Tie 105S

Titleist TSi2 22*: Aldila Tour Blue 105TX

Grindworks PR-202 6-PW: Nippon Modus3 120X

Edel SMS 48*V / 60*T:  Nippon Modus 125 Wedge 

Grindworks Barrett 52* / 56*: Nippon Modus 125 Wedge 

Scotty Cameron 2014 Select Fastback

Bit of a random thought, have you thought about using a Modus 120 in the hybrid? It's very much an iron replacement in this case, and solves the weight issue.

The 120 is sold in .370 at GolfWorks, so it's available. Same dedicated lengths as the tapered 120.

Might be hard to find for demo purposes, though.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Does your hybrid of choice need to be a newer product? Wonder about the possibility of buying something used?

Again, demo can be a problem there.

My two hybrids have come from 2nd Swing. The first was bought on a lark, was intending to try Stage2 Tour 3/5 fairways, but they didn't have the 5w. Bought the Stage2 Tour 3h, 18.5*, and was surprised how well it worked for me; the first hybrid that was worth the effort.

Caveat: I am cheap, I admit it, LOL. Hence, the 2nd Swing thing (or Global Golf, eBay, so on).

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

I’m thinking a 4h Ping G410, turned down to 20.5*. Going Driver, 5w, 4h, 4-P as my setup. Faces are getting so hot on fairways and hybrids that you almost have to go down a club to gap well

Driver: Ping G410 LST (Diamana ZF)
5w:  Titleist TS2 (Ventus Blue)
3H: Titleist 818 H2 (Ventus Blue HB)
or 3i: Cobra King Utility 21* (Tour AD DI)
4-P: PXG 0311T (KBS $-Taper)
Wedges: 51* Edel TRP, 55* Edel DVR, 60* Cally MD5
Putter: PXG Mini Gunboat H

I'm a 105-108 mph driver swing speed. Game Gen 1 PXG 4-PW. Realized I never hit my 4i unless off the tee. I could never get the thing in the air but it would roll out to 210 yards. I game 3H Cobra F8 and love it so found a deal on a 4H Cobra F9. Wow, what a game changer. I'm able to put a normal swing on it w/no fear and it flies high and lands on the green like I"m swinging a 7i.

If you're not hitting your 4i anyways...might as well try out a 4H imo

If we are talking about 2019 clubs you are correct. If we are talking about 2015 clubs than I believe my statement is correct.

Since 2015 the distance gains of FW and HY have greatly exceeded the distance gains for the driver. This gap between Dr and 3w is narrower now than in 2015. The gap between the longest iron in your set and the hybrids released now is growing. So getting a 22* 4hybrid as the next club after a 24* 4iron makes more sense than the 19* 3H being sold today

Glad we are on the same page. A 4i at the top of a persons set very well could mean they should put a 4H into their bag as well. The 4H could/should be 15 yards longer than the iron without any exaggeration .

I was on a Golfzon sim this weekend and was hitting 3H 245 yards but I hit 4i 205. Makes the move to a 4H much easier to justify. (3 was 260 btw, terrible gapping)

Yeah I could probably get away with popping a p790 4i in and skip the 5w completely. We'll see... My swing has changed a bunch since a few years ago so distances and the way I use each club has changed a bunch. Gotta wait to actually get out on the course and see what actual distances are.

I'm also going back to see my guys at TXG on June 6, so... I'll get a really good sense of my bag once I get fit again. I'll have about 3 months worth of data from shot scope and my own personal anecdote on how things have felt.