2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Callaway FT5 or FTi and shaft combo???

golf-ccc

Going for a new stick, but can't make my mind on the shaft
Hey all, just wonder if any of you has some sugestions on these heads and shaft combinations...

I play to a 21, my swing swings between 85 and 95, use a regular callaway shat on a Big Bertha, I can carry the ball some 150 and roll it some 100 more making good shots of 250....but for me it's time to move on, so I'm making the big jump to one of the latest models but like the FT5 better, I'm deffinetly NOT a bomber, but have a pleasent mid to low trajectory with a nice draw that I can controll very well....deffinetly not a slicer!!!

Here's the thing, I like to roll the ball a lot, would like to move on the head and a stiffer shaft, but someone told me that a V2-75 regular would be just what I need, since it has a low torque and plays stiffer than most shafts....any thoughts on this?.

You, current owners of Ft's, what would you recommend and a head/shaft combo?, I'm pretty sure that most of you have the best combo but I'd appreciate if you can comment on the shaft performance, preferences and results.

Also looking to Prolaunch Blue 65, Aldila NV 65, Fuji 757.

Thanks a lot.

PS. Unfortunatly I don't have access to a launch monitor so please discard this option, I'll be making a purchase on a blind basis, so any help is much appreciated....don't wanna miss spend my dollars..... :shout:

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if i were to make a recommendation i'd tell you to maximize your carry. that's where a launch monitor comes in. when investing in a big money item such as a driver, it makes it worth it to make sure the club you buy is a good fit.

edit: just re-read and saw you don't have access to a launch monitor. i'd still do my best to get to a launch monitor some how. only way you'll know if something is worth your money or not.

Thanks all for the great comments, still thinking about the best shaft combo for either.

My left side tells me to go for a Regular shaft that plays a little stiffer but it's not a stiff (regs V2, NV???) and maintain control over distance. My right side tells me to joy with the benefits of an already much much much more forgiving and hotter driver head, with a similar regular spec of my current shaft (YS6, Callys stock, NVS, ProLaunch Blue) which are higer torque, softer tip, 65 gr, etc. and hope for more carry maintaing my hard earned draw.

On the other hand, my feet tell me to go for a Stiff V2 shaft and see what happens.

Keep on posting.

BTW, correct me if I'm wrong, but if I want to maximize carry with a 90 swing, I should go for more torque?

[quote name='golf-ccc' post='797875' date='Nov 21 2007, 08:44 AM']...............On the other hand, my feet tell me to go for a Stiff V2 shaft and see what happens.
..........BTW, correct me if I'm wrong, but if I want to maximize carry with a 90 swing, I should go for more torque?[/quote]

FWIW, I don't own any Cally drivers, but I demo a LOT of equipment, and for whatever reason........the UST V2 works great in this head. I'd vote for the FT-5 over the FT-i any day of the week. And.........I think your swingspeed is too slow for a Stiff flex. Go Regular IMO.

As far as the torque.......I don't think that will maximize carry whatsoever, more/less torque simply equates to a different FEELING golf shaft, and some torque will help most people square the clubface. Since you hook the ball - don't get any shaft with too much torque, as the clubface may swing around too fast and hook it more.

IMO I think the UST V2 in Regular flex is the right shaft for you. Very stable shaft, works great in the Cally clubheads, and medium torque. Go for it!

If your swingspeed is 85-95 and you're hitting the ball 250 yards...don't sell it. Clone it, and you could sell it for $1000 bucks. Those numbers just don't add up. Carry yardage of 150 yes, but roll of 100 yards? Unless you play on concrete, or an airport runway, something seems "off". Typically I would suggest getting a soft tip, low kick shaft to maximize your spin and launch, but with an 85-95 swing speed, about the most I think you could hope for would be about 215-240

Ping G400 - Accra 162i
Tour Edge Exotics xcg7 4 wood
Ping Crossover 3i
PXG 0211 - 5-PW
Titleist Vokey SM7 - 48,54,60
Toulon Garage - Austin

My carry/roll numbers are forcing shot, meaning that I'll get those numbers fairly consistenly closing the head a bit, making a different stance, etc. For a more normal shot, i'd hit around 200 with 10 of roll, so in order to keep with up with my golfing partners I have to make adjustments to my swing....force it.

The thing here is that I feel like a change, I feel I'm past due with my current driver, I'd like to stay on Callys path, I'm deffinetly not looking to gain more distance (well 20 yds more wouldn't hurt) buy I sure don't wanna loose the control I gained so far with my shots....Big bertha from 02 has many yards and years back.

I'm more into the FT5 than than "i" model, but the shaft is still keeping me from making my mind.

How I miss those days when you picked whatever was available...like my current set.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=119203"]Here's a thread on my FT-i experience.[/url] If you want to fast forward through it, read my first and last post in the thread. Not sure if that will help you or not, but it may be of assistance to you. If you're interested in potentially trying the Evolution shaft I noticed today that Golfsmith has it on sale for $59.

I'm in a similar situation to d0n, but I haven't bought mine yet cause Im positive I will have the same issue with the stock shaft. I have a borrowed 10 degree FTi I'm going to use tomorrow.

As for shaft recommendations, I have the YS6 or 7 and a V2 on the cheap end of the list, with Diamana White, Speeder 757, and Matrix XCON 6 or 7 on the high end. I never hit the Evolution but I am going to go research it to death right now.

Callaway pre-owned will be my friend especially if they have the recommended set up from their fitter.

[quote name='golf-ccc' post='797875' date='Nov 21 2007, 06:44 AM']My left side tells me to go for a Regular shaft that plays a little stiffer but it's not a stiff (regs V2, NV???) and maintain control over distance. My right side tells me to joy with the benefits of an already much much much more forgiving and hotter driver head, with a similar regular spec of my current shaft (YS6, Callys stock, NVS, ProLaunch Blue) which are higer torque, softer tip, 65 gr, etc. and hope for more carry maintaing my hard earned draw.

On the other hand, my feet tell me to go for a Stiff V2 shaft and see what happens.

Keep on posting.

BTW, correct me if I'm wrong, but if I want to maximize carry with a 90 swing, I should go for more torque?[/quote]

Go with your "right side" thinking given your sspeed, you definitely need a regular flex shaft with mid/high torque as per the options you listed.

ft-5 is a great head, don't ruin it for yourself by putting in a stiffer than necessary shaft.

as the saying goes, play the shaft you can swing on the 17th tee when you're tired.....

I have had the FT-5 TOUR 9.5* with the stock Fuji fit on 360 stiff shaft all year since it's introduction last fall. I have a smooth tempo with 98mph driver club speed and hit this baby 260 straight, and bombs are 280. you can work it well too, as the tour head (retail model) is square faced. I have hit them all, and you shuld demo this driver. It will work fabulously.
Get on the FT-5 team, but get the tour model, they are designated by the .5* in lofts and a trademark Caly "chevron" on the face. The stiff flex in this shaft is flexible and not a board for sure.

Hope this helps.

Callaway        Paradym  Hzrdus Silver 

Callaway        Epic Flash 3 & 5 fw  Even Flow Green   
TM                   M4   4 & 5 hybrid  Atmos 

TM                  P790  6-PW Recoil ESX

PING               Glide 3.0  50, 56, 60  

TM                  Spider cs  Golf Pride P Only Blue Star 

CCC,
I agree with Johnny, go find a retailer that has a launch monitor. At 429.99, it's a big investment. In this day and age, the ground is our enemy. Launch it high and carry it as far as you can. The days of the old low roller are gone!!! By the sound of things, and the way your numbers pan out, your probably best fit with a Regular flex shaft with a little more weight. V2-75R would probably be the perfect fit for you. I am currently using a V2-67S in my Adams BTY 4350 10.5* w/ a swing speed of about 112mph. It is a perfect fit!!! If you use a launch monitor, you need to see some numbers like (15.0*-17.0* launch, 3000-3500 rpms of spin) The slower the swing speed, the more spin, it helps keep the ball airborne. Although, WE DONT WANT TOO MUCH SPIN!!! Faster swing speeds need less spin(2250-2850rpms) so take it for what its worth. Swallow your pride...GET A REGULAR.

_Jojom06_

As you already tend to draw do not go with the regular model, get the tour (i.e. .5* lofts). They will have a square to slightly open face whereas the others will have a closed face. Also, stick to the FT-5 if you want a lower trajectory. The FT i will put a lot of spin on the ball.
With regard to shafts, don't overlook the Fuji Speeders, which are an upgrade available directly from Callaway. Personally, I play the 652 because I am looking for a slightly higher launch. These shafts have a great feel and are fairly tight.
The 757 will definitely launch lower (which you like) and it has nice tight dispersion. In either case, my guess is you should be looking at regular flex.
I feel of the two speeders, the 652 is easier to play and is less demanding. I find it easier to load and hit a lot of really nice high long bombs. Great combo with the FT 5 head.

would u concider the pro launch blue or the new ust v2 high launch .these will help u to get the ball in the air for more distance.have a look at this tells u a bit about alot of the shafts hope this helps [url="http://www.fittingworks.com/TechnologyProcess/ShaftandGripInformation/ShaftDescriptions.aspx"]http://www.fittingworks.com/TechnologyProc...scriptions.aspx[/url]