2020 Lightweight Stand Bags

1 hour ago, eric61 said:

Question for you all: Any recommendations on a lightweight stand bag that has particularly long straps? 

I'm a really broad-shouldered guy, and it's difficult for me to find golf bags, backpacks, etc. with straps that are long enough to get on and off without fighting with them every time. 

I'd been thinking about the Ping Hoofer Lite, the Sun Mountain 2.5+ or 3.5LS (because they make the lefty version), the Titleist Players 4 Carbon and the TaylorMade FlexTech Lite, but I'm open to absolutely anything. 

And one more question: How water-resistant are those bags? Do you all sweat walking in light rain with them? I know there are waterproof versions, but they all have pretty in-your-face designs (like the Sun Mountain H2NO), whereas I prefer something very plain.

Of those listed I think the Hoofer Lite has the best straps and they seem pretty long.  I am average stature and there is a whole lot of slack left to make the straps longer.

• Like 1

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*

Titleist 718 AP2 / Wilson FG-51

Vokey SM7 52.8F, 58.8M

PING BeCu Anser

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

To quote the Grateful Dead, it's been a long strange trip... I joined a club for the first time earlier this year and started walking more often than not. My Titleist bag was fine but not exactly lig

apologies for the delay, here are a few pics, let me know if there’s any additional views that you would like.

Back to the K1-LO as my gamer. The ping cel was good, but the tangle drove me nuts. Do have an SL2 on the way though. Lol   getting ready for a comical neighborhood photo shoot in our front yard ab

Posted Images

not sure I can ever buy a sun mountain bag, I helped my dad get a SM 3.5 couple years back and for the past 2 years the legs overextend way out to where the bag is almost hitting the ground, never seen anything like it on a stand bag. Called SM about it couple years back and they only warranty their bags for 1 year. Ping would have replaced this bag without any hassle 

14 minutes ago, 0cean said:

https://ping.com/en-us/shop/bags/carry-bags/hoofer-craz-e-lite

I just picked up a Ping CEL, on the site, it says that it has a pocket that's "Zippered, insulated multi-use water bottle pocket.". Mine doesn't have insulation. Is this just error on the site?

I haven't looked over a CEL to that level, but probably a copy-and-paste error from the Hoofer Lite which is insulated.  See this all the time with companies, very surprised these things don't get caught in editing. 

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*

Vokey SM7 52.8F, 58.8M

PING BeCu Anser

Random thoughts as this thread transitions to 2021:

• The 2.5+ is great, but has some faults of its own and looks to be getting a small update next season.
  • No bag is perfect, clearly. 
  • I've thought a bit about top designs, and I'm thinking that maybe top diameter isn't the only metric that should be considered. A bag that is shorter in height may be able to accomodate more clubs since the club heads will be sitting above the rim of the bag. Maybe? Just a spitball. 

Where do things do from here? I'm using a bag that has freaking heat shrink tubing instead of regular zipper pulls, along with carbon fiber legs. I'm not sure how much lighter bags can go and still be functional as an every day bag. 

G410 LST 9.0°, Speeder Evo II 757

Flash SZ 17°, VTS Silver 8x
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

MP-20 MMC  5-P, PX 6.5
SM7 50F, 54S, 58M
PXG Closer Gen 2  
Tour BX

I really like the look of that 2021 SM VX made with sailcloth.  Sounds like it’s a little heavier at shy of 5lbs.  More water resistant and durable tho. I like the colors. 

Driver: PXG 0811x 9* Fujikura Speeder 661 Evolution IV 
Irons: Mizuno 921 Forged 4-PW, Recoils 95 F4*
Hybrids: PXG 0317X 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: Ping Vault 2.0 Ketcsh (solid black)  
Bag: Mizuno K1-LO white/staff blue (something new is coming, cant decide.)
Ball: Titleist Pro V1, Snell MTB-X, Maxfli Tour

On 10/9/2020 at 8:03 AM, GooseHook said:

Random thoughts as this thread transitions to 2021:

• The 2.5+ is great, but has some faults of its own and looks to be getting a small update next season.
  • No bag is perfect, clearly. 
  • I've thought a bit about top designs, and I'm thinking that maybe top diameter isn't the only metric that should be considered. A bag that is shorter in height may be able to accomodate more clubs since the club heads will be sitting above the rim of the bag. Maybe? Just a spitball. 

Where do things do from here? I'm using a bag that has freaking heat shrink tubing instead of regular zipper pulls, along with carbon fiber legs. I'm not sure how much lighter bags can go and still be functional as an every day bag. 

While they don't appear to be a major redesign I think Titleist has nailed it for 2021 with Players 4 and 4 Plus, particularly the StaDry versions.  Looks like the new straps are going to be a real upgrade and they added a small tee pocket in the perfect spot and also fixed the too tight range finder pocket. No picks yet of the other side so can't say for sure if the water bottle pocket is also improved but otherwise the other fixes for me make this bag a home run.  Only question is whether Ping comes in with something stronger before I can get my hands on one of these.

"We're not here for a long time... we're here for a good time." 

Mizuno JPX 900 Driver w/ Speeder Evo II 661 Stiff
Mizuno JPX 900 3W w/ Speeder Evo II 661 Stiff
Titleist AP3 3 - 5 w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Titleist AP2 6 - GW w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Callaway Jaws 54S & 58x w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Edel E3
Titleist Lightweight Stand Bag

Clicgear 4.0

31 minutes ago, Jarlaxle said:

While they don't appear to be a major redesign I think Titleist has nailed it for 2021 with Players 4 and 4 Plus, particularly the StaDry versions.  Looks like the new straps are going to be a real upgrade and they added a small tee pocket in the perfect spot and also fixed the too tight range finder pocket. No picks yet of the other side so can't say for sure if the water bottle pocket is also improved but otherwise the other fixes for me make this bag a home run.  Only question is whether Ping comes in with something stronger before I can get my hands on one of these.

I've only looked at the 2020 Players 4 and it was well behind the Sun Mountain and PING lightweight bag options imo.  Just seemed cheaper quality, especially the straps.  If straps are improved I may take a look at one.  Have mostly Titleist clubs so would strongly consider a Titleist bag if they improve them.

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*

Vokey SM7 52.8F, 58.8M

PING BeCu Anser

51 minutes ago, Jarlaxle said:

Agree 100%. I never considered the players 4 bags because I've seen some negative comments on the straps, and I really want that small tee pocket you get on other bags. But the 2021 catalog changed my mind - new "premium double strap," tee pocket, plenty of appealing colors, and only 3.8 lbs for the regular players 4. I was set on a Hoofer lite but I think I'm going to hold out for a 2021 players 4 since it has the features I want, 1 lb lighter, and solid color options. I spoke with Ping's customer service and it sounds like the 2021 hoofers / lites will mostly remain the same with new color options and available to buy in January. But don't quote me on that, just in case I got bad info...

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, CB90 said:

Agree 100%. I never considered the players 4 bags because I've seen some negative comments on the straps, and I really want that small tee pocket you get on other bags. But the 2021 catalog changed my mind - new "premium double strap," tee pocket, plenty of appealing colors, and only 3.8 lbs for the regular players 4. I was set on a Hoofer lite but I think I'm going to hold out for a 2021 players 4 since it has the features I want, 1 lb lighter, and solid color options. I spoke with Ping's customer service and it sounds like the 2021 hoofers / lites will mostly remain the same with new color options and available to buy in January. But don't quote me on that, just in case I got bad info...

The other feature that trumps it for me is the Titleist has clips so you can quickly remove the straps (sometimes I carry, sometimes I push).  The Ping's have clips for the bottom but not the top of the straps so can't easily remove entirely.  Now I just have to wait until they actually hit the street... at least will give me something to look forward to.  99% chance this is the colorway I'll get. 

titleist2021players4stadry.JPG

P.S.  Here is a zoom in on the strap that you can kind of see hanging down behind the bag.  Looks like it will be quite a bit more plush.

strapzoomin.JPG

Edited by Jarlaxle
  • Like 1

Edel E3

Clicgear 4.0

Hmm, haven’t seen the new straps.  Any pics. Where is the new catalogue? 

• 3 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, Tsquare90 said:

I replaced an old Ogio with a 2021 Sun Mountain 2.5+.  Good bag, carries easy and light.  2021 adds a small pocket above the ball pocket.

You already received it? What color? I’m leaning towards this.  I love the large opening and boxed dividers.  Thinking the least amount of club tangle.  

Minarets,  orange and grey.  I was able to look at the 2020 and 2021 next to each other at Dicks Sporting Goods.  I made the decision based on the extra pocket.  I played with 11 clubs midsize grips.  No tangle I was concerned with.  FYI the dividers are full length and the middle also has a divider.  Also there is not a Velcro spot for gloves, I don’t wear one so it’s not a problem.  There are a couple of loops a glove could me attached to.

Edited by Tsquare90
More info
  • Like 1
32 minutes ago, Tsquare90 said:

Minarets,  orange and grey.  I was able to look at the 2020 and 2021 next to each other at Dicks Sporting Goods.  I made the decision based on the extra pocket.  I played with 11 clubs midsize grips.  No tangle I was concerned with.

Thanks. The extra pocket is definitely a nice addition that my k1-lo doesn’t have. But that opening has me wanting.  I too have midsize grips and my clubs tend to tangle some and I think that opening and boxed dividers will prevent that.  I just don’t care for too many of the color options.  

13 hours ago, Minarets said:

Thanks. The extra pocket is definitely a nice addition that my k1-lo doesn’t have. But that opening has me wanting.  I too have midsize grips and my clubs tend to tangle some and I think that opening and boxed dividers will prevent that.  I just don’t care for too many of the color options.  

Curious, how has your K1-lo held up?  It is so lightly built, just curious how its handled a full season.

• Like 1

Edel E3

Clicgear 4.0

1 hour ago, Jarlaxle said:

Curious, how has your K1-lo held up?  It is so lightly built, just curious how its handled a full season.

Build quality is great.  It’s material is very thin and almost see thru at times.   When I have yellow golf balls in the ball slot I can see them thru the outside of the bag.  I have the white/staff (blue) colorway.  I only have a few nitpicks.   I’d prefer the fully boxed dividers.  They have full length dividers but the middle area is shared and the dividers are full length but not sewn on the sides.   So you can end up with clubs at times that go around the divider in to another slot at the bottom.  That and the bottom of the bag is slick so when sitting in my garage it can slide down further that intended.  That isn’t a problem on grass or on the course. It’s literally only an issue in my garage. The straps are wonderful.  The weight is great. Pockets are fine.  Like the idea of the extra one above the ball pocket.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Minarets said:

Build quality is great.  It’s material is very thin and almost see thru at times.   When I have yellow golf balls in the ball slot I can see them thru the outside of the bag.  I have the white/staff (blue) colorway.  I only have a few nitpicks.   I’d prefer the fully boxed dividers.  They have full length dividers but the middle area is shared and the dividers are full length but not sewn on the sides.   So you can end up with clubs at times that go around the divider in to another slot at the bottom.  That and the bottom of the bag is slick so when sitting in my garage it can slide down further that intended.  That isn’t a problem on grass or on the course. It’s literally only an issue in my garage. The straps are wonderful.  The weight is great. Pockets are fine.  Like the idea of the extra one above the ball pocket.  

Glad to hear it has treated you right and yes, the material on the light colored bags is so thin you can see right through it. Have to say I’m surprised its held up, thought you might get some little rips or other wear spots. 

• Like 1

Edel E3

Clicgear 4.0

10 minutes ago, Jarlaxle said:

Glad to hear it has treated you right and yes, the material on the light colored bags is so thin you can see right through it. Have to say I’m surprised its held up, thought you might get some little rips or other wear spots. 

Did you have one? Been surprised it’s held up? I carry about 50% of the time. Probably play 2-3 times a week.  Had the bag all season.  It’s been good. There are a few spots that I can’t seem to clean with cart marks but been a great bag.  I just keep looking for perfect and I’m not sure that exists yet. 

23 minutes ago, Minarets said:

Did you have one? Been surprised it’s held up? I carry about 50% of the time. Probably play 2-3 times a week.  Had the bag all season.  It’s been good. There are a few spots that I can’t seem to clean with cart marks but been a great bag.  I just keep looking for perfect and I’m not sure that exists yet. 

No, I came very close to buying one but just wasn’t confident it would hold up. Since then I bought a push cart so am not as fussed about ultra lightweight anymore.  Very likely to buy a 2021 Titleist StaDray bag as soon as they come out.  

Edel E3

Clicgear 4.0

Ha, that is one that is slightly in the running.  I want to see a players 4 stay dry in person.  I felt the opening was kinda tight by looking at it last year.  I have an older players 4 (maybe 2016 or 17) before they did a players 4 and a plus.  I loved that bag because it was masters green.  It my back up now.  

but I’m basically down to this. 

SM 2.5+
stitch SL2 

vessel light stand

titleist players 4 sta dry. 

they all have pluses and minuses for me. 

1CC595E3-DA32-4A2F-8B7C-82956C0C4AEF.jpeg.e561309f4357b9985fb21bbae6d684df.jpeg

• Like 1

TaylorMade SIM MAX 9* Tensei Orange 6X or AV 6X
TaylorMade SIM Ti 15* TourAD DI 7X or Orange 7X
Callaway Mavrik Pro 20* TourAD DI 95X
Miura TC201 4-P modus3 120X
50* MD5 JAWS S-grind 
54* MD5 JAWS S-grind
58* MD5 JAWS C-grind
All GolfPride Align Tour Velvet
Odyssey Putter
ToeUp #1 Stability Tour Shaft SuperStroke Pistol GT 1.0
or
ToeUp #1 oWorks UST Shaft SuperStroke Pistol GT 1.0

Instagram @kinetiquefittinglab
22 hours ago, ALTSean said:

Nice looking bag, which model?

Rough looking green / fringe.

Nike sports lite stand bag customized by ganbattegolf

TaylorMade SIM MAX 9* Tensei Orange 6X or AV 6X
TaylorMade SIM Ti 15* TourAD DI 7X or Orange 7X
Callaway Mavrik Pro 20* TourAD DI 95X
Miura TC201 4-P modus3 120X
50* MD5 JAWS S-grind 
54* MD5 JAWS S-grind
58* MD5 JAWS C-grind
All GolfPride Align Tour Velvet
Odyssey Putter
ToeUp #1 Stability Tour Shaft SuperStroke Pistol GT 1.0
or
ToeUp #1 oWorks UST Shaft SuperStroke Pistol GT 1.0

Instagram @kinetiquefittinglab

Any opinions between the 2.5+, Titleist Carbon 4, and nike sports light (at steep discount). I really just need light but would like it to last a bit and have seen durability issues in reviews for all 3. Also saw the nike is slightly heavier. Currently use a hoofer 2018 (not trying to do a ping bag this time around).

12 minutes ago, Jc0 said:

Any opinions between the 2.5+, Titleist Carbon 4, and nike sports light (at steep discount). I really just need light but would like it to last a bit and have seen durability issues in reviews for all 3. Also saw the nike is slightly heavier. Currently use a hoofer 2018 (not trying to do a ping bag this time around).

2.5+ imo.  Sport Lite looks nice, but dividers are weird and it's pretty cheaply made/low quality vs Sun Mtn.  I had the new Sport Lite and immediately sent straight back to Nike.

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*

Vokey SM7 52.8F, 58.8M

PING BeCu Anser