2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Lightweight Stand Bags

8 hours ago, Bashdash said:

Thanks! Maybe I should purchase sooner than later.  Dicks and GG had a black one in store.  I was thinking of seeing if I can get my home course logo embroidered but that may add an extra layer of complexity.  I'm assuming that can't be done after I purchase.

Why not contact your pro shop and see if they can order a logo one for you or if they have some coming in for 2021?

On 3/5/2021 at 5:44 PM, alecfeltman said:

How does it compare to TM FLEX LITE? The tm feels so bottom heavy even though it’s a light bag 

How does which bag compare to the TM FlexTech Lite?

Callaway Paradym X (11*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Paradym X (15*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Big Bertha 23 (19*) / Cally RCH 65 S

Srixon ZX5 (4-PW) / Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 S

Cleveland CBX (48*), RTX 6 Zipcore (52* Mid, 58* Mid) / DG Spinner

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

4 hours ago, BallerNate said:

How does which bag compare to the TM FlexTech Lite?

Sorry. Sun Mountain  2.5

Taylormade Stealth+ 10.5: Ventus Blue 6X
Titleist TSR2 4-16.5: Ventus Blue 7X
Taylormade Stealth+ 5-20: MRC Tensei CK Pro Blue 80TX
Titleist T200 4: DG AMT X100
Titleist T100 5-PW: DG AMT X100
Titleist SM8 50, 54, 60: DG Tour Issue S400
Odyssey White Hot 7S 34" 

Grips Lamkin Full Cord; logo down 

47 minutes ago, alecfeltman said:

Sorry. Sun Mountain  2.5

Ok gotcha. Well, I looked at the SM 2.5+ in stores, but didn’t buy that one. Tried both the 3.5LS and the FlexTech Lite though.

From what I saw of the 2.5+, it is definitively noticeable that it feels lighter than the 3.5LS and the FlexTech Lite. 

The club divider area is a good size in the 2.5+ and is comparable with both the 3.5LS and FlexTech Lite. The material used for the 2.5+ and 3.5LS is more of a lightweight vinyl, whereas the FlexTech Lite is more of a cloth/canvas feel.

The biggest difference is that the 2.5+ has less pockets than the 3.5LS and FlexTech Lite, and the pockets it has are smaller.

If I was planning on carrying 100% of the time, the 2.5+ would be my choice for sure. For me, the FlexTech Lite fit better on my push cart than the 2.5+ and 3.5LS, which is why I went with it as I won’t always be carrying.

• Thanks 1

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

Anyone have this colorway, or seen it in person and can comment on the 'cobalt' color?  Wondering how close it is to Carolina blue.  Looks a little too dark in the below pic, but in this review video (2nd pic is a screenshot from the video) it looks pretty close...

https://www.google.com/search?q=sun+mountain+2.5%2B&prmd=sivn&sxsrf=ALeKk02e_8mooJpZ1uN76AdxIZ7J_mbrHw:1615173114343&source=lnms&tbm=vid&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjRlOzd3J_vAhUIEVkFHa0pCG4Q_AUoA3oECAYQAw&biw=412&bih=758&dpr=1.75#

Screenshot_20210307-220848_Chrome.jpg

20210307_221427.jpg

Edited by brew4eagle

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

1 hour ago, brew4eagle said:

Anyone have this colorway, or seen it in person and can comment on the 'cobalt' color?  Wondering how close it is to Carolina blue.  Looks a little too dark in the below pic, but in this review video (2nd pic is a screenshot from the video) it looks pretty close...

https://www.google.com/search?q=sun+mountain+2.5%2B&prmd=sivn&sxsrf=ALeKk02e_8mooJpZ1uN76AdxIZ7J_mbrHw:1615173114343&source=lnms&tbm=vid&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjRlOzd3J_vAhUIEVkFHa0pCG4Q_AUoA3oECAYQAw&biw=412&bih=758&dpr=1.75#

20210307_221427.jpg

No where close to Carolina blue.  It’s very much like the first pic or studio pic.  My GG has 3 of them I saw today.   

Edited by Minarets
  • Thanks 1

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

For you guys who have tried the SM 2.5+ and the 3.5LS, which one has less club tangle? Do they both have the same amount of room for clubs?

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

Just now, ChiFas said:

I had both for about a week. I didn’t see a difference at all. Same 9 inch top. 

Gotcha. So only difference is the weight and the number of pockets?

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

16 hours ago, brew4eagle said:

20210307_221427.jpg

cobalt and carolina blue are very far off in terms of shade

4 minutes ago, tsecor said:

cobalt and carolina blue are very far off in terms of shade

Agreed, however when I saw the referenced video it looked a lot less 'cobalt' than I expected.  Could have just been the video lighting hence why I was asking for others' experience.  Unfortunately there is only 1 smaller golf store in my area, which is kind of crazy since I'm in Northern VA.  The local store is pretty solid, but limited selection of Sun Mtn stuff.

Edited by brew4eagle
  • Like 1

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

22 minutes ago, BallerNate said:

For you guys who have tried the SM 2.5+ and the 3.5LS, which one has less club tangle? Do they both have the same amount of room for clubs?

I find them both to have zero tangle issues, and both have the same amount of room for clubs

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

41 minutes ago, ChiFas said:

As far as I could tell in my very limited time moving clubs in and out of the two bags and walking around my basement. 

27 minutes ago, brew4eagle said:

I find them both to have zero tangle issues, and both have the same amount of room for clubs

Ok great, thanks very much Gentlemen.

Might double-back and take another look at the SM 2.5+ or the 3.5LS depending on what they have at the local shop.

Now that I’ve had the TM FlexTech Lite for a little longer, there are definitely issues popping up.

More club tangle then I expected, and a lot more droop in the legs than expected. Also the light grey/whitish legs on the first FlexTech Lite that I bought had scratches on them, so over time I think they’ll show more wear than black legs would.

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

Just now, BallerNate said:

Might double-back and take another look at the SM 2.5+ or the 3.5LS depending on what they have at the local shop.

Now that I’ve had the TM FlexTech Lite for a little longer, there are definitely issues popping up.

More club tangle then I expected, and a lot more droop in the legs than expected. Also the light grey/whitish legs on the first FlexTech Lite that I bought had scratches on them, so over time I think they’ll show more wear than black legs would.

The only difference is the 3.5LS has more pockets and bigger pockets.  I carry very little stuff so the # of pockets on the 3.5LS bothered me in an ocd kind of way.  2.5+ has the exact # of pockets I need and has a slimmer and more toned down look which I also prefer.  I'm still rolling with the Hoofer Lite as it's the best 'one bag fits all' for me, but am about to pick up a 2.5+ or Front 9 as a bag for carrying a half set for my 36+ hole walking days.

• Like 1

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

1 minute ago, BallerNate said:

It was a struggle between the 2.5 and the 3.5 for sure. Essentially the potential weight difference seemed to make me lean 2.5. I really wish the 2.5 had the range finder holder like the 3.5 (and maybe the little pocket inside the ball compartment). In the end, the ease of the 2.5 seemed appealing.  

3 minutes ago, ChiFas said:

It was a struggle between the 2.5 and the 3.5 for sure. Essentially the potential weight difference seemed to make me lean 2.5. I really wish the 2.5 had the range finder holder like the 3.5 (and maybe the little pocket inside the ball compartment). In the end, the ease of the 2.5 seemed appealing.  

Yes, I omitted the most obvious difference of the ~1 lb less that the 2.5+ weighs.

Edit- when I used to use a rangefinder I found the valuables pocket on the 2.5+ was the perfect place for it.  Put my phone, wallet, keys in a valuables pouch in the small accessory pocket.

Edited by brew4eagle

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

57 minutes ago, ChiFas said:

55 minutes ago, brew4eagle said:

Yes, I omitted the most obvious difference of the ~1 lb less that the 2.5+ weighs.

Edit- when I used to use a rangefinder I found the valuables pocket on the 2.5+ was the perfect place for it.  Put my phone, wallet, keys in a valuables pouch in the small accessory pocket.

Ok excellent, thanks very much to you both. I think I'd be fine with either the 2.5+ or the 3.5LS...I'll probably just go with whichever one is in stock in my preferred color (Black/Grey) at the local shop. If they are both equal in terms of space for clubs and no tangle, then I'd probably lean more towards having the extra couple of pockets and additional storage space in the 3.5LS. The lighter weight of the 2.5+ is definitely appealing though.

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

4 minutes ago, Bashdash said:

Unlikely that there will be any 2021 SM deals any time soon right?  Don't really want the 2020 version as I don't use a glove and that seems to be the main difference.

There's also an extra pocket on the '21 which is clutch.  Sun Mountain restricts retailers from allowing discounts/coupon codes.  You might get away with using a $20 coupon in store at Dick's or something small like that, but unless you find a deal on ebay or bst you're going to pay retail.

Edit- I also don't use a glove and bags with the velcro annoy me, so really like that the '21 doesn't have the patch.  Put in an order for a navy 2021 2.5+ just now.

Edited by brew4eagle

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

Thanks brew4eagle.  Your posts have been very helpful to read.  Especially your strap adjustment post.  Saved me from buying the ez straps.  Figure I'll try your method first in setting them up.  Plus I do carry a lot with just one strap.  I am torn between the all black and the gray.  Now your post has me throwing the navy in the mix.  Looks pretty speak.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Bashdash said:

Thanks brew4eagle.  Your posts have been very helpful to read.  Especially your strap adjustment post.  Saved me from buying the ez straps.  Figure I'll try your method first in setting them up.  Plus I do carry a lot with just one strap.  I am torn between the all black and the gray.  Now your post has me throwing the navy in the mix.  Looks pretty speak.

May have missed the trick to the x strap. 

14 minutes ago, ChiFas said:

May have missed the trick to the x strap. 

Edit- pack up the bag with your typical items (including water in the water bottle) before doing this......

I'm not sure where I posted it, but what I found was key was if looking at the bag spine, start by adjusting the bottom right strap length which has the most influence on the angle the bag rests on your back.  I've found I had to take away a lot of slack from that point vs how the bag arrives from the factory.  You can then work on the top right strap connection point- take some slack there and give some back to the first strap you worked on, this will move the part of that bag that rests against your right flank (sometimes the hard plastic part of the bag hits your right flank, you can move that spot away from your flank with these small adjustments).  Finally, you can make equal adjustments to each strap to move the part of the strap that rests on your shoulders if needed while maintaining the balance points you've set previously.  I've definitely found that it's more involved (for me at least) than just tightening each strap point by 1 inch for example.

Edited by brew4eagle
  • Like 2

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

The X strap was one of those “I made up my mind” things before I gave it a chance kinda things.  I kept trying it in store with no weight in it.  Once I got the clubs loaded up inside I had to go back and forth for sure but finally found a position I love.   Works great for single carry as well 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

1 minute ago, Minarets said:

The X strap was one of those “I made up my mind” things before I gave it a chance kinda things.  I kept trying it in store with no weight in it.  Once I got the clubs loaded up inside I had to go back and forth for sure but finally found a position I love.   Works great for single carry as well 

Yep, the EZ Fit is definitely more user friendly for finding a decent fit (still the same process for the 'perfect' fit).  The X Strap pretty much has 1 perfect fit and any other settings are pretty poor.  I've found the X Strap (once adjusted properly) works better overall as it's much better for me when carrying on one shoulder for shorter walks vs the EZ Fit, plus you get more room for sliding your left arm in as that strap moves a lot.  The draw back is the bag is free to move more on your back as you walk vs the EZ Fit, which can be a bit annoying. 

• Like 1

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

1 hour ago, brew4eagle said:

Edit- pack up the bag with your typical items (including water in the water bottle) before doing this......

I'm not sure where I posted it, but what I found was key was if looking at the bag spine, start by adjusting the bottom right strap length which has the most influence on the angle the bag rests on your back.  I've found I had to take away a lot of slack from that point vs how the bag arrives from the factory.  You can then work on the top right strap connection point- take some slack there and give some back to the first strap you worked on, this will move the part of that bag that rests against your right flank (sometimes the hard plastic part of the bag hits your right flank, you can move that spot away from your flank with these small adjustments).  Finally, you can make equal adjustments to each strap to move the part of the strap that rests on your shoulders if needed while maintaining the balance points you've set previously.  I've definitely found that it's more involved (for me at least) than just tightening each strap point by 1 inch for example.

Thank you! This is gold. I’ll start messing with it. That hard plastic piece from the opening I felt would have really caused some irritation on my right side and the videos from sun mountain don’t really do much for you. 

I went to gg today to look at the 2.5+ and the mizuno Kilo. At first look the 2.5+ is a much better bag. Bigger opening, full length divider on each "tube", better material, that one extra pocket above the ball pocket. Everything seemed better on the 2.5. 

BUT... 

The straps are horrendous. I weighted both bags with 10 clubs I pulled off the rack. The 2.5 is terrible,  so uncomfortable. I adjusted the straps to a hundred different positions still nothing comfortable. The mizuno is perfect on my shoulders, a million times more comfortable 

I bought the Mizuno. Way more comfortable. 

Edited by Asics10
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Asics10 said:

I went to gg today to look at the 2.5+ and the mizuno Kilo. At first look the 2.5+ is a much better bag. Bigger opening, full length divider on each "tube", better material, that one extra pocket above the ball pocket. Everything seemed better on the 2.5. 

BUT... 

The straps are horrendous. I weighted both bags with 10 clubs I pulled off the rack. The 2.5 is terrible,  so uncomfortable. I adjusted the straps to a hundred different positions still nothing comfortable. The mizuno is perfect on my shoulders, a million times more comfortable 

I bought the Mizuno. Way more comfortable. 

That's why it's important to know how to adjust the straps.  It's a perfect bag once you figure the straps out.

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

• GooseHook changed the title to Lightweight Stand Bags