Lightweight Stand Bags

9 minutes ago, FairwayFinder11 said:

I was at a pga tour superstore the other day and they have all of them in stock. Very impressed by the quality. Just curious how they perform and what the club snagging situation looks like. 

The thread I referenced discusses the new titleist bags fairly in depth.  I didn't read it too carefully though as the Titleist bags aren't on my radar.

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

Longtime lurker of this glorious thread. I'm in the market for a new bag as all I currently have is a 2020 Ping Moonlite and need a stand bag for those wet dewy mornings and occasional cart rides. I've owned just about every bag - including: 2018 2.5+, 2019 3.5LS, 2020 2.5+, Stitch SL1, Linksouldier Stand Bag, Ogio Shadow Fuse 304, Ogio Fuse 4, and many older Sun Mountain bags. 

I'm seriously considering the Mizuno K1-LO and worried about it's long-term durability. I like the weight and look, but it feels so dainty that I'm leery of how it will hold up after a couple seasons. Ultimately I want a bag that's a light carry and is good for the occasional push or riding cart when playing 36. Is the K1-LO the bag, or are there other bags I'm overlooking?

Edited by mmccormi223

9 minutes ago, mmccormi223 said:

Longtime lurker of this glorious thread. I'm in the market for a new bag as all I currently have is a 2020 Ping Moonlite and need a stand bag for those wet dewy mornings and occasional cart rides. I've owned just about every bag - including: 2018 2.5+, 2019 3.5LS, 2020 2.5+, Stitch SL1, Linksouldier Stand Bag, Ogio Shadow Fuse 304, Ogio Fuse 4, and many older Sun Mountain bags. 

I'm seriously considering the Mizuno K1-LO and worried about it's long-term durability. I like the weight and look, but it feels so dainty that I'm leery of how it will hold up after a couple seasons. Ultimately I want a bag that's a light carry and is good for the occasional push or riding cart when playing 36. Is the K1-LO the bag, or are there other bags I'm overlooking?

Hoofer Lite is the most versatile imo which is what you've described that you're looking for

• Like 1

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

1 hour ago, mmccormi223 said:

I had the K1-LO bag the year before last I think.  That bag gets a lot of things right but the one I had was way too flimsy for the number of rounds I play.  The zipper on the ball pocket ended up breaking because I tried to close it quickly with one hand and the zipper is just not that durable. Also, that material was so thin I worried a tee would poke a hole in it. I agree with @brew4eagle

• Like 1

12 hours ago, brew4eagle said:

Hoofer Lite is the most versatile imo which is what you've described that you're looking for

I appreciate the insight, and the lengthy Ted Talk - you guys are bag wizards. The Mizuno K1-LO to me is like the girl you know you shouldn't date, but you're still interested anyways. I see the flaws, but somehow I want to think they're really not that bad.

I'll be checking out the Hoofer Lite, hadn't looked at anything Ping other than the Craz E Lite (whichseems to have it's own durability issues). I considered the 2021 SM 2.5+ but couldn't find the velcro glove patch anywhere, didn't the 2020 version have it?

5 minutes ago, mmccormi223 said:

I appreciate the insight, and the lengthy Ted Talk - you guys are bag wizards. The Mizuno K1-LO to me is like the girl you know you shouldn't date, but you're still interested anyways. I see the flaws, but somehow I want to think they're really not that bad.

I'll be checking out the Hoofer Lite, hadn't looked at anything Ping other than the Craz E Lite (whichseems to have it's own durability issues). I considered the 2021 SM 2.5+ but couldn't find the velcro glove patch anywhere, didn't the 2020 version have it?

Yes, 2020 2.5 had the patch, 2021 does not

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

6 hours ago, brew4eagle said:

^ fwiw, Hoofer Lite does have boxed dividers

Oops, my bad! I guess I didn't take a very good look at the dividers when I had it. I really wish they went the full length of the bag, it would've been perfect if they fixed that!

Taylormade 2016 M2 / Taylormade SIM (currently testing)

Cobra F9 Speedback 3-4 Wood

Cobra F9 Baffler 3H / Taylormade SIM Max (currently testing)

Srixon Z U65 Utility 3 & 4 Iron

Honma 737V 5-PW

Honma 727P GW-SW

Odyssey O-Works 1W

Titleist 2021 Players 4

14 hours ago, mooeykim said:

I was in the same boat, I bought the older generation K1-LO and returned it because of the materials. The stitching is single stitch around the bag and very spaced out, zippers are tiny tiny tiny and cheap feeling, and the bag material is nice and light but super thin which made me think an errant tee could poke right through it. 

I ordered a whole bunch of bags online (yay COVID) and tested them out: Hoofer Lite (2020), Taylormade FlexTech Lite, Nike Sport Lite, Sun Mountain Eco-Lite, and Titleist Players 4 (2021), and here's what I found.

Hoofer Lite (2020) - Love the quality but hands down the worst tangle I've had in a stand bag. The 'full length' dividers only go down 3/4 of the way and are not boxed in. Bottom divider where the wedges go also has a plastic piece on the hoofer base that causes 1 or 2 wedges to stick out further than the rest when the stand was deployed, causing it to crash down on your other clubs when picking the bag up. Also it's pretty heavy for a 'lite' bag at 5 pounds.

Taylormade FlexTech Lite - Solid bag, has all the features you want, but has durability issues. Tangle was better than the PING, but clubs seemed to slip past the dividers because they were not boxed in. Had one zipper fail and legs were noticeably droopy after 4 rounds. Lightweight at 4 pounds.

Sport Lite - Same construction and durable material as the Air Sport, but super small top opening and lack of full length dividers. No drawstring pocket, but kept the insulated drink pocket which is a plus. Cannot and will not stand upright without deploying the stand due to the narrow base (probably not very push cart friendly). Top is super small for a 5 way top (Putter well, woods, 2 irons, wedges, from top to bottom) and only 2 PING-esque dividers to separate them which means tangle if you carry 14 regularly. Lightweight at 4 pounds

Sun Mountain Eco-Lite - Lightweight (4 pounds), waterproof, well constructed, boxed dividers, snappy legs, but man the straps are weird. Love everything about the bag but it was lacking in a few areas for me. No tee pocket above ball pocket and the straps were some suede/felt material. Sure the straps were padded but I could never get the straps right - it always felt off balance no matter what I did. The felt material would stick to your shirt material on your shoulder and bunch it up as you were walking which was not pleasant. 

Titleist Players 4 (2021) - This is what I chose and am currently using. Lacking in some areas but it checked all the boxes I looked for in a bag. Lightweight (3.8 pounds), had a tee pocket above ball pocket, comfortable straps, boxed dividers, snappy legs, and durable construction. If I had to nitpick, it would be that the valuables pocket doesn't have a waterproof zip and there's no insulated drink pocket. I would highly suggest the Players 4 or the Players 4 Plus (half pound heavier but bigger top, additional drink pocket, waterproof valuables pocket).

Thank you coming to my TED talk.

Why didn’t you go for the 4 Plus? Seems like a no brainer at only a half pound difference.

3 hours ago, FairwayFinder11 said:

Why didn’t you go for the 4 Plus? Seems like a no brainer at only a half pound difference.

I wanted to but they only had the Players 4 in stock at DSG (I had a $40 credit) at the time. Once the all black 4 Plus is in stock on their website, I'm making the switch for sure!

Taylormade 2016 M2 / Taylormade SIM (currently testing)

Cobra F9 Speedback 3-4 Wood

Cobra F9 Baffler 3H / Taylormade SIM Max (currently testing)

Srixon Z U65 Utility 3 & 4 Iron

Honma 737V 5-PW

Honma 727P GW-SW

Odyssey O-Works 1W

Titleist 2021 Players 4

10 hours ago, mooeykim said:

I wanted to but they only had the Players 4 in stock at DSG (I had a $40 credit) at the time. Once the all black 4 Plus is in stock on their website, I'm making the switch for sure!

I was in pgatour superstore and was looking at that exact one. See pictures. If I ever get rid of my old Ping 4 series (the club tangle is brutal) then I’d seriously consider 4 plus. was super impressed with the quality.  

92E39253-B5C9-4AE4-B953-55EE1D6CA2ED.jpeg

224D6BEB-DEE3-43A2-A6AC-AC4DED9C58BC.jpeg

First time out with the SM 2.5. Overall great bag.   I must not have set up the straps well because the top of the bag was digging into my right upper back.  Tried adjusting on the fly but just couldn't get it right.  I'm worried I won't be able to follow the directions provided on this thread because I already changed it from factory settings.

23 minutes ago, brew4eagle said:

I ended up sticking with the Hoofer Lite and returned the 2.5+

I’ve tried just about every bag that’s been discussed in this thread. I used my navy Titleist Players 4 bag for one round and returned it. It’s been a few years since I last used a Hoofer or Hoofer Lite because I remembered the club tangle being rough. Because of some of your posts I ended up buying the Mr. Ping Hoofer Lite and played my first round with it today. The bag is great. It’s so well balanced. Just so easy to carry. I forgot how much bigger the top is compared to some other bags discussed in this thread. Pocket layout is perfect for my needs. Club tangle is easily managed if you put the clubs in while the bag is straight upright. So glad I went back to Ping. Thanks for the opinions you’ve posted in this thread. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mtp said:

I’ve tried just about every bag that’s been discussed in this thread. I used my navy Titleist Players 4 bag for one round and returned it. It’s been a few years since I last used a Hoofer or Hoofer Lite because I remembered the club tangle being rough. Because of some of your posts I ended up buying the Mr. Ping Hoofer Lite and played my first round with it today. The bag is great. It’s so well balanced. Just so easy to carry. I forgot how much bigger the top is compared to some other bags discussed in this thread. Pocket layout is perfect for my needs. Club tangle is easily managed if you put the clubs in while the bag is straight upright. So glad I went back to Ping. Thanks for the opinions you’ve posted in this thread. 

Let’s see pics of Mr Ping 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

Where do you guys bags that you can return them after playing with them?

I had my 2.5 out today and it’s insane, when I threw it on my back in the parking lot I honestly felt like I had 5 clubs in the bag. It’s so insanely light. Still fiddling with the straps but it was good for a quick 18. Struggling to get it high enough on my back but still get my left arm in easily. As for the pockets, it’s more than enough. I added a little pouch to hold tee and stuff in the ball compartment, and using the zipper pocket above that for my range finder. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, brew4eagle said:

I ended up sticking with the Hoofer Lite and returned the 2.5+

I figured that was what you were going to end up doing.

At the end of the day it’s all about what checks the most boxes for you...enjoy!!

Callaway Paradym X (11*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Paradym X (15*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Big Bertha 23 (19*) / Cally RCH 65 S

Srixon ZX5 (4-PW) / Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 S

Cleveland CBX (48*), RTX 6 Zipcore (52* Mid, 58* Mid) / DG Spinner

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

7 hours ago, philsRHman said:

I had my 2.5 out today and it’s insane, when I threw it on my back in the parking lot I honestly felt like I had 5 clubs in the bag. It’s so insanely light. Still fiddling with the straps but it was good for a quick 18. Struggling to get it high enough on my back but still get my left arm in easily. As for the pockets, it’s more than enough. I added a little pouch to hold tee and stuff in the ball compartment, and using the zipper pocket above that for my range finder. 

If you look earlier in this thread, @brew4eagle posted a trick for adjusting the SM X-straps that works really well.

I’ve got the SM 3.5 LS and tried that trick for adjusting, and the straps feel fantastic now!

As far as returning bags, I went through a crazy stretch of trying a bunch of different bags, and had no problem returning any of them to Golf Town here in Canada. I never used any of them outside though and just tested them inside the house and made sure they were still in new condition.

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

1 hour ago, Bashdash said:

Phil and Nate I need help with the straps!  I agree with Phil just testing it out in my driveway with clubs I couldn't believe how light it felt.  

I've messed up the factory settings at this point.   I'm around 6'2" and on the right side of my body the top of the bag is digging into me.  

Sounds like you need to add slack to the strap that attaches to the top of the bag to the apparel pocket side.  Then tighten the strap on the lower apparel pocket side to compensate for the added slack.  When making these adjustments just add a bunch of slack to the straps you can access when the bag is on your back, then adjust those to fit last.  This will move the top of the bag away from your right side.  The problem with Sun Mountain bags is there isn't much room between those apparel pocket side straps for your lower back to 'squeeze into'.  Makes finding that sweet spot hard and maybe impossible at your size.

Edited by brew4eagle

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

9 hours ago, philsRHman said:

Only try them in the house.  Like to take them home so can load them up with my actual stuff.  Wouldn't return a bag that had been used on the course.

Edited by brew4eagle
  • Like 1

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

Brew4eagle it worked!  Thanks for explaining it in a way I can understand.   It is completely off my shoulder and not too low or slanted that it feels like my clubs will fall out.  I do carry one strap a lot when I play and that seems fine.

I also have plenty of room.  I don't like bringing the kitchen sink with me when I play so storage is fine.

Through research I also have the option of bag boy button seeming to be a perfect fit should I choose to transition to a push cart.

Thanks!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brew4eagle said:

Sounds like you need to add slack to the strap that attaches to the top of the bag to the apparel pocket side.  Then tighten the strap on the lower apparel pocket side to compensate for the added slack.  When making these adjustments just add a bunch of slack to the straps you can access when the bag is on your back, then adjust those to fit last.  This will move the top of the bag away from your right side.  The problem with Sun Mountain bags is there isn't much room between those apparel pocket side straps for your lower back to 'squeeze into'.  Makes finding that sweet spot hard and maybe impossible at your size.

Thank you!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, mtp said:

A busier look than I usually use but it’s different so I figured why not. 

F31B413B-ED82-4374-AFD3-532C7F2EC34F.jpeg

9E249ACE-49A6-430B-9F4B-7ACD2CE77E72.jpeg

Very cool bag...awesome look!!

• Like 2

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

• GooseHook changed the title to Lightweight Stand Bags