I got fit today

My wonderful wife encouraged me to buy new clubs. I told her it could be up to $5 grand just throwing a big number out there. She said go for it! I was shocked.to say the least.

I am a 15-20 handicap depending on the day. My swing speed stays around 90 mph with a pull fade being my miss. I have a pretty fast tempo with a pretty straight game. I don’t miss a lot of fairways but I needed distance. I practice a lot and I’m getting better. I thought I wanted graphite shafts with a distance gain. I was looking at mainly 3 super game improvement irons but open to suggestions I’m not high on TaylorMade or callaway. I wanted ping or mizuno. Or maybe titliest.

I hit about 3 clubs and he actually put me into a 130 gram shaft because of my fast tempo and transition I ended up with 2 degrees upright with a dynamic gold s300 shaft the same shaft I’ve played forever the choice for me for heads ended up by the numbers being ping g410 irons or the Mizuno jpx 919 hot metals they were both really close in all numbers I settled on the Ping because it flew 5 yards higher and I have played Ping forever

I ordered 6- sw on irons in power specs because those lofts matched my sand wedge I’m keeping that I already have which is an eye 2 wedge in 57.5 degrees I then picked a 22 degree 4 hybrid to round out my 200 yard distances

Picked a G410 lst 3 wood because it was super solid and I adjusted it to 16 degrees so more like a 4 wood I averaged carrying it 200 yards with a 10-15 yard roll out I usually consider 220 to be max distance for a 3 wood but I was killing this one with 3 degrees more loft than my current 3 wood

I picked the new g410 LST driver with the heavy even flow shaft and my best effort was a 267 yard bomb but I admit I was average carry about 220 around 240 total with a really nice trajectory it was really consistent with a 5-10 yard fade

I let the young man fit me with an odyssey stroke lab putter after he had me putt and matched me into a putter that actually matched my putting stroke which hasn’t changed in 20 years I felt like I couldn’t miss

My conclusions... I really didn’t know what I wanted thought I wanted the huge headed g710 irons but I just didn’t hit them as well as g410 I let the young man and his technology lead me through the process and I hope it will be the last set I ever buy I ended up with heavier shafts than I thought I would but I couldn’t argue with the results the lighter shafts just didn’t keep up with my homemade swing which is consistent if nothing else Over all the shots I averaged about 90 mph in swing speed and that was with my 3/4 length swing that keeps me in control the clubs I picked ended up being all Ping but I’m good with that I have 3 ping bags already lol !

Cost of fitting was $75 with $25 tip Cost of clubs I ordered

Ping G410 SFT $399

Ping G410 SFT 3 wood $259

Ping standard Hybrid $219

Ping G410 irons steel shafted dynamic gold shafts $787

stroke lab black putter $299

Total was $2150 all in and I’m having them shipped to the fitter to be checked for loft and lie before I picked them up.

Anyone who says I’m trying to buy a game it’s not really true. I have never bought new clubs. In 30 years of golf. And I am not in a place where I can take lessons without driving an hour. I hit the ball really solid and wanted to have the confidence I used to have in my ping eye 2 irons that ive just outgrown. And besides that my wife said I could LOL. Thanks. Go get fit folks it’s worth it

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome to have the encouragement and Blessing from your Bride for the fitting and new set of sticks made just for you. Congrats!

It matters not what others call you, but what you answer to.

beer-goggles-on-glass-of-beer.jpg.c3e909aed71161ad053a32287bd7c3ed.jpg
Wishon 919THI  9* S2S Black 65 S
Wishon 929HS  14* S2S Black S

Wishon 525F/D  13* S2S Black 65 S
Wishon 775HS   21* S2S Black Hybrids S
Wishon 575MMC 4-AW S2S Superlight Steel S
PING Glide 3.0  54*SS

PXG 0311 Forged 60*
PING Anser3 Swan neck MgBr putter

i waited 2 years and have been playing golf for 30 plus years. Did I need new sticks? Probably not. Did I earn the money to buy the house in a golf course ....two golf carts... a membership in the club... golf trips... absolutely! Twenty one hundred bucks isn’t going to kill me. I am playing currently with a set of x12 irons and a used ping g30 driver. And 3 wood. I have more in the dri tac grips than I do the clubs. Yes I’m a 15 handicap but I practice a lot and from 150 yards in I can compete with any scratch golfer we have because I’ve done it. It was my driver and longer clubs killing me I live 350 yards from the driving range and I love going to the back where all the balls are and I can hit 200 45 yard shots with 4 different clubs and I don’t get bored. So negative Nancy thanks for your opinion.

By the way. The scratch golfer? He has our course record. I agreed to play him if I could start from within 5 yards of the 150 marker in the fairway and be laying whatever he was to that point for a buck a hole! I won 4 bucks over 18 holes and had a blast. I’m consistent and can chip and pitch and putt with anyone.

Impressed that your whole bag fitting was only $75 ($100 with tip). Also, impressed that you were able to do a full bag fitting. I only did a wood fitting a couple of weeks ago and was completely gassed by the time I got midway through the 3w.

G410 LST 10.5 Accra TZ5 65 M5
TS3 15 Fujikura Rombax P95 X
818 H1 19 Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 105x

T100S 4-PW Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Vokey SM8 48-10 F Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Vokey SM8 56-08 M Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
WITB Link

I was getting a little tired by the time I got to driver you are correct. But based on what he had seen before he put me into a heavy even flow shaft because of my quick aggressive tempo. And I wasn’t as consistent but we both agreed it was because I was getting tired. When I slowed down and concentrated I killed it. Lol. I play 3-5 days a week and depending on weather hit 2 buckets of balls plus 1-200 half wedges when I practice. Before I play. A lot of the time I practice and then play a quick nine ending at my house. This allows me to play with my wedges which I like to do. Lol

Get a ping dlx bag

Ping G400 Max Graphite Design AD XC 6x

Ping G400 5w Diamana Blue B 80s G400 7w GD PM902s

Callaway Apex 4h 23* Matrix HQ3x Apex 5h 26* Fubuki 82x

Mizuno 919T 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Prototype 95 f4
Vokey SM2 50*, SM2 TVD 56*M & 59*M, 64* Recoil Proto 95 f4

Piretti Matera Elite

im not so sure about the fit of those clubs for you, but your wife on the other hand...priceless and to a level most others never will find :-)

PS! those bags is nice, you find similar from Golf Copenhagen and Benington. ive been using GC bags the latest 10 years, its very "quiet" and the clubs dont scratch each other in the bag, and its always easy to find the club you want, so just go for it, you want regret that type of bag.

I love your wife.

Driver (9.0) - Cobra F9 Aldila Rogue Silver 70 S, 44.5"
Wood (15) - Exotics EX10 Aldila Rougue Silver 70S
Driving Iron (20) - Srixon U65 Project X 5.5
Irons (5-6) - Srixon Z565 Project X 5.5
Irons (7-P) - Srixon Z765 Project X 5.5
Wedges - Vokey SM-7 Jet Black / 50.08 F / 54.08 M / 58.08 M DG S300
Putter - Edel E-1
Ball - Titleist Prov1x
ZGrip Midsized Grips