sm8 nonsense....

have you folks been listening to the marketing from Vokey on these sm8?! Who knew that the sm7 was so bad, according to vokey... So, we needed higher cg before, therefore we had the weight pad raised on the higher lofted wedges. now, they tell us that causes issues with hitting high right shots. YOU DIDN'T KNOW THAT BEFORE WITH ALL YOUR FANCY EQUIPMENT?! Now, we we are told that we need more weight in the hosel and farther forward. This is against what we've been told before as well.

I don't know.... I think marketing is really stretching on these.

Titleist TS3 driver HZRDUS Smoke black

Titleist 917 F2 HZRDUS Smoke black

Titleist TS3 19 hybrid HZRDUS smoke black

Titleist T-100s 4-gap

Vokey sm8 54/14f and 60/12d 

TaylorMade Spider X chalk

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Myself and other angry villagers are getting together with torches and pitchforks and heading over to Vokey's house right now!!

You folks have to remember something here. Most of the marketing these days is geared towards the general public golfer. Most golfers are not as geared towards the fine facts of equipment like us WRX

... Forum members can be so ignorant when it comes to equipment. I have spoken too so many OEMs that freely admit this years product is a tweak or minor improvement over last years product. None of th

No different than taylormade.

low rearward cog...no no..low forward, wait now back to low rear again.

mwt, act, fct, atv, removable faceplates, speed fins, speed bumps, speed slots, speed bridges, 1 weight, no..no 2 weights, 1 track, no ...no 2 tracks.

you can’t be be mad at the marketing, you not only have to re-invent the wheel every year but sell improvements to it.

• Like 2

Sold my sm5 and sm6 and plenty of Cleveland and Callaway wedges with out moi hi cg back cg etc.Its a Low Point in their history too me when this rubbish comes out...

2020 18 July mid winterNZ
Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
Nike VrS 3wood
Callaway Razr Edge5 wood

MP100=33 9876 5/mp63
54     RTX2
60     RTX2
ProPlatinum NewportTwo
2002 325gram +8.NewGrip
Dont hesitate to buy one!

I guess another take on it is 99.9% of the clubs I've ever used work fine if I put a good swing them and like shit if I put a poor swing on them regardless of the marketing hype. (The other 0.1% was clubs with an aftermarket shaft a hacker like me simply couldn't launch).

Cobra King F9  Driver 10.5° Atmos Blue 6 stiff
17° Callaway X Hot 4 wood
20.5°& 23° Cleveland DST Launcher hybrids
Mizuno MP58 4-PW irons
Cleveland RTX 2 52°/10°, RTX 3 58°/9°
Ping Anser Sigma 2 putter

They all offer the latest and greatest at each release. As for what most of you guys have offered, I’d agree that many people who spend time on WRX do understand that much of the marketing is just that...marketing. So we don’t buy based on the marketing but do buy based on what works.

I say that say...I am not offended by the marketing. And I am replacing my wedges this year because it is time. And it likely will be SM8s because I like Vokeys because they work for me.

This isn’t a counterpoint... it is just my opinion.

Step right up for the the new line of SM8 wedges from Vokey...

...for the players who want a boring, traditional look and feel and need new wedges or want to spend some money and figure wedges are probably a solid investment and who already know they like Vokeys and for those who wish to try Vokeys for the first time because they're a reputable brand that seems popular.

Oh, and it says here something about the CG or whatever but who cares...it's the brand-new, same-thing-as-always Vokey S-M-whatever!!!

SIM (10.5o) (Tensei Pro Org.)
TS2 4w (17o)

M6 7w (21o)

z785 (4-Pw)
SM8 52-F / 56-F / 60-S
Newport 2 Select

This whole A.I. thing - isn't that the same tech that has brought spellcheck? Thus the name Mavrik

• Like 2
Fitter
All Wishon, all the time:
519SHPR 11* Black Driver, Red Shaft - S
919F/D, Red Shaft
EQ1-NX 4 wood Red S-FLex
929 Fwy 5, Red Shaft
595 #3 Driving Iron Red hybrid S Flex
575MMC 6-GW Wishon Smooth Steel - S (B bag)
EQ1-NX 4 hybrid, Black hybrid Shaft
5-SW EQ1-NX S300's (A bag))
PCF Micro Tour Platinum 58*
S2R #5 putter Single Bend Shaft
Mid-firm urethane balls - too many to list

... I just can't decide whether to wear a tin foil hat or stay under a force field when reading/watching anything from golf OEMs. I wish just one year every single OEM would introduce all their new clubs with zero marketing. Nothing, nada about any club they introduce. It would not take long for forum members to go insane with ignorant comments. He!! a third of forum members get upset over a name!?! It's really pretty simple. New Vokey SM8 has a different CG and improved performance? Sounds good to me but I will have to demo one side by side with my SM7 to see how it performs and feels. More often than not I stick with what I have. Marketing gets my attention but it is up to me to decide if it is relative to my game. But if you buy a club based on Marketing without due diligence, you will get exactly what you deserve.

• Like 3

TaylorMade SIM Max ... Diamana Limited 55R
Callaway Super Hybrid 17*  ... Diamana Limited 65R

TaylorMade DHy 19* ... Diamana Limited 65R
4-Wedge Titleist T100-S ... Steelfiber 95R
SM6 52* F Grind /SM8 M Grind 58* ... Steelfiber 95R
Newport 2.5 ... 33.5"

Personally I am not offended by their marketing at all the employees have to eat and feed their families. To go further I am brand agnostic like you said I play what I know works for me and could care less about that company's marketing , product cycles or if Joe Pro plays it on tour or not. And I will also state what works for me may not work for you or anyone else

• Like 2

Driver--- Honma G1-X Stock R shaft FW Adams Tight Lies 16* Mitsu Diamana FW 7 woodTM V- Steel 21* Stock TM R Irons 3 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan #2 Apex Shafts SW- Clevaland 588 56* Sensicore S-400 LW Cleveland 588 60* Sensicore S-400 Putter 1997 Cameron Santa FE rusty as heck Bulls Eye Satin fluted shaft Bags- Old School Burton mini staff non logo or Jones Classic

It was not just the SM7s that raised the COG. That is a big point when you look at the whole Mizuno MP20 line, and every high toe wedge.

Driver: Taylormade SIM 9 Project X Green 60TX

Fairway Finder: Taylormade Original One 13.5 Ventus Red 9X
Taylormade Gapr low 2 ventus blue 9x
4-PW Cobra king forged CB KBS $ Taper 130 X flex
Wedges 50, 54, 60 Cleveland ZIPCORE
PUTTER; Kronos release long neck
BALL; Bridgestone BX, OR Taylomade TP5x PIX

I’ve lived in Japan a couple of times for nearly five years total. The number of sightings on an actual golf course of the following is zero: Miura, Royal Collection, Epon, Yuryuri, Legacy Black, Vokey Forged.

If you want to use what the people that actually live in the Japanese Domestic Market use, get some off the rack Mizunos or standard cast Vokey. Haven’t been back since the Cleveland/Srixon marriage. Perhaps RTX is getting some love now...

Will be trying them out sometime in the upcoming season. If they perform as well or better than my SM6s I'll be getting some!

SM7 thing did seem awkward the first time I listened to one of their vids but didn't bother me much - I thought they were crap, too (okay their Tour players and most others didn't see it that way) that's why I gave them to my daughter's boyfriend.