Is it worth upgrading the shaft in wedges?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Test gapping and accuracy too the pic for a start.I have reshafted many wedges but std wedge flex or dgs200 etc works well for me.Just got a ti dgs400 in a trade so will try that soon

I know i like 120ish gram shafts.Too lite eg 90 to 105 grams not for me.

2020 18 July mid winterNZ
Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
Nike VrS 3wood
Callaway Razr Edge5 wood

MP100=33 9876 5/mp63
54     RTX2
60     RTX2
ProPlatinum NewportTwo
2002 325gram +8.NewGrip
Dont hesitate to buy one!

upgrade might be the wrong word but proper wedge shafts definitely make a big difference. These are you scoring clubs and you want to be the most comfortable with these in your hands

PXG Proto 0811x 9*.... Tensei Pro Orange 60tx or TM SIM Max 9* ... KBS TD 60 cat4

TM SIM 15* ... KBS TD 70 cat4

TM SIM DHY 18* ...KBS Prototype 95x

TM SIM Rescue 22* ... Diamana Thump 105x
Srixon Z Forged 5 - P ... Project X PXI 115 6.5

Vokey SM8 raw black 51, 55, 59

LowTide Custom Fin putter

Stock wedge shafts aren't sub-par they may just not fit an individual golfer and most people don't consider looking at anything different. It may benefit you to try a different shaft it may not.

Ping G410 LST Ventus Black 6x
Ping G410 LST AD-DI 7x
Ping G410 20* Crossover PX EvenFlow Black 85HY 6.5
Ping iBlade 4-PW PX LZ 6.5
Glide Stealth 2.0 52/56/60 TI S400
Ping Sigma 2 Tyne Steath, Stealth shaft. PP58 Black Cord
ProV1x
Ping Hoofer Multicam

That is a really dumb comment. Wedge shafts being sub par. What does that even mean? Pretty much all steel shafts are very consistent so it really just comes down to having the correct weight (either the same as your irons or slightly heavier). Unless you are talking about some random graphite shaft that comes with an infomercial wedge, that is just someone trying to sell you more stuff!

I am less picky with wedge shafts.

Got fitted and never felt drastic difference with stock offerings.

Cobra                      F9 Driver w/HZRDUS Smoke 60 6.5
Titleist                     TS2 16.5 Wood w/HZRDUS Smoke 70 6.5
Ping                         G410 19 Hybrid w/KBS Proto 95 X
Titleist                     818 H2 23 Hybrid w/Accra M5 95 X
Titleist                     716 T-MB 5 Iron w/DG X100
Titleist                     718 AP2 6-P Irons w/DG X100
Cleveland                RTX 4.0 52/56/60 Wedges w/DG S400
Nike                    EverClear E11 Putter

I soft step my wedges with same iron shafts. It's really up to the individual.

I thought most manufacturers were going away from wedge flex stock? I know at least Cleveland and Callaway have.

Srixon Z 785 9.5 Atmos Tour Spec Black 60X
Srixon Z F85 15 Atmos Tour Spec Black 60X
Srixon Z U85 18 Steelfiber i110 S
Srixon Z FORGED 3-9 Steelfiber i110 S
Cleveland RTX4 46 Steelfiber i110 S
Cleveland RTX4 Forged 50 Steelfiber i125 S
Cleveland RTX4 58 Steelfiber i125 S
Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft Premier 11S

Bettinardi QB6 DASS High Polish
Srixon ZStar XV Yellow

Wedge shaft matters but I wouldn't call stock wedge shafts bad. You need to be fit for the right weight and profile.

SIM Max 9* | Ventus Black 6x

Cobra Big 3 Tour| HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 75 6.5

Cobra Speedzone | Accra FX 2.0 380M5

Titleist 818H1 | Ventus blue 10x (Cobra Forged Tec Black 5i testing)

Cobra Forged Tec Black 6i | AMT X100 Onyx

Cobra Forged CB 6-GW incoming????

Cobra King Black 54/10, 60/08 | S400 Tour Issue Onyx

Custom Atwood

ProV1x

I've played X100's for the past 20+ years and recently switched to MTS 125's allegedly built on the X100 profile. Around 2006 I was able to hit a tour pro's SW and PW and noticed two significant things. The heavier shaft and overall weight greatly assisted me in my tempo and secondly, noticeably lowered the ball flight. These two issues prompted me to go to S400 9-iron shafts in my wedges ever since. I credit this shaft weight change for allowing me to go from an average wedge player to better than most. YMMV.

JBeam Bullet 10*          Fujikura Ventus Black 6X

Exotics CBX119 3WD   Accra Tour Z RPG 372 M5

Exotics CBX119 5WD   Accra Tour Z RPG 382 M5

Exotics CB2 7WD         Accra TZ5-85 M5
TaylorMade V-Steel 9WD   Accra TZ5-85 M5
MIURA CB57 6-PW  MCI MMT-125TX (SSx1)
MIURA Tour Milled 52 56 60 MMT-125TX Scoring Wedge

Bettinardi DASS MiNOVAi Tour Prototype 

So, are the stock wedge shafts substandard? Not from one of the major OEMs. That said, the stock shaft may be too heavy for you or not fit your swing. But, that has nothing to do with poor quality.

I once played CG14 wedges with Cle TRAction wedge shaft. TRAction was 125-gram shaft with a softer tip for more spin on partial shots and a stiff butt to keep launch lower. It had similar dynamics to TT's ensuing "spinner" shafts, but without the mid-shaft flex joint.

TRActions worked well with 115-gr. PX 5.0 iron shafts on my X20 Tour irons. But, when I dropped the PX in favor of 97-gr. NS Pro 8950s, I started having trouble with wedge shots. The iron-wedge shaft weights were too different, and it hurt distance control on partial wedges.

So, I reshafted wedges to KBS Tour R-flex (110 grams). This gave much smoother feel, better control.

When I shifted to Callaway wedges, I had the same KBS Tours put into them. It was only a $10 upcharge for each. My new MD4 58* still has the 115-gram wedge flex that has become stock shaft in several Callaway wedge models. It works fine.

Advice from a Titleist rep: He said Roger Vokey (the wedge guy) recommends putting the same shafts in your wedges as in your irons - unless you think some wedge specific will do wonder for your game.

Search around this Equipment blog, and you'll find lots (and LOTS!) of discussion on what shafts to put into wedges.

What's In The Bag (Summary as of October 2020)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i-9i

Wedges:  Calla MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced)

Ball: Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

For details see:  Pending (need protocol to embed file list).

What a clown of a club fitter, the most common standard Wedge shaft is Dynamic Gold S200, S300 or S400 and S400 is by far the most played wedge shaft on the tour in the history of Golf...

The question is, do this shaft fit you and your game? They dont if you play 95 grams shafts, so it all starts with a shaft weight thats a good match compared to your irons, then flex and profile.

So, what iron shafts are you playing, and what standard options is there for the wedges you been looking at? and what "upgrade" was suggested and why?