I think pro golf would benefit from an international major, do you?

SandmanGT1

Heck, I'm in the U.S. and I would like to see the PGA turned into a world major. Take it to Asia, Australia, South Africa, Latin America, mainland Europe, etc. I feel the PGA Championship does not have a strong enough identity compared to the other 3 majors, so moving it around the world would help give this tournament a more special feel to it.

Masters - Augusta National, the jacket/dinner/tradition. Very special

Open Champ - links golf in the British islands. Oldest major. Very special

U.S. Open - "hardest" major played on the toughest American courses

PGA Champ - watered down version of U.S. Open, usually played at former U.S. Open courses

At some point in the future the US PGA Tour and the rest of the world tours will merge to form one global tour like the ATP in tennis. That entity's version of the Players Championship/ BMW PGA would likely replace the US PGA as golf's fourth major. I could see it picking up the PGA Championship's lineage where Jack and Hagen had 5 Global PGAs or whatever the tournament was called. That would be the major that moves all over the globe to chase money like China and the Middle East.

Until then, send your complaints to the R&A. They are the ones that refuse to move their major around their jurisdiction. They can take the British Open to Royal Melbourne, Royal Montreal, Royal Durban and Royal Calcutta any time they want.

I like the idea of a "Commonwealth Open" too! Take it everywhere. I'm surprised the prize money for the Australian Open is so low. Seems as though participation is high in Australia. They have a long history, seems like a ball (in terms of the Australian Open) was dropped some time ago. I know there are some articles out there (Geoff Ogilvy's comes to mind) that discuss the evolution or de-evolution of the tournament. One would think that an event that has the following champions list harbored some importance!! - Player (7X), Nicklaus (6X), Norman (5X), Peter Thomson (3X), Palmer, Watson, Nagle, Locke and Sarazen among others.

I'm a little biased, those sandbelt course are just so good and fly under the radar in America.

Interesting notes from the 2017 R&A Golf Around the World Report "...the sport is geographically concentrated, with 74% of the world supply of courses located in the top 10 golfing countries: the United States (45%!!), Canada, Japan, England, Australia, Germany, France, Scotland, Sweden and South Africa."

The Canadian Open is now co-organized by the PGA Tour, seems that one lost some luster as well.

Well, two of the first four posts about covered everything that was in my feeble mind?

If you're serious, see LeoLeo99’s post??

If indeed, you were bored, at a loss for good thread material and with no forethought cept, “hey, it’s the largest golf board on earth, let’s go trollin,” then Hawk’s post nailed it spot on?!!

I make no judgement either way cuz I don’t know ya or your style though hey, I’ve posted some sh*t that to call me a “troll” and the thread “trolling” would be a compliment of the highest order?

Either way, Pro golf is good where it’s at Major wise??

All the Best,

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

That's what I said. I was specifying what type of "British."

As for international, it has a more international field, following and past winners. You wouldn't have considered that I'm sure as you were too busy being right on the internet.

Refer carefully to my wording. It was intentional. Note the word "original" and then consider what effect that has on the meaning of the entire sentence. Comprehend better.

Callaway XR16 SubZero Aldila Rogue I/O 70X
Callaway Apex Utility Wood 19* Fujikura Ventus TR Red 60
Callaway UT 18* KBS C-Taper X
Titleist 818 H2 21*
Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW KBS DG X100
Vokey SM7 52* F
Vokey SM7 58* D
Sizemore XB-1

Masters - Perfect the way it is.

US Open - Silly, increasingly try-hard attempt to outshine the original Open Championship.

Open Championship - perfect the way it is.

PGA Championship - boring but no one really can figure out how to fix it. Maybe go back to match play.

Callaway XR16 SubZero Aldila Rogue I/O 70X
Callaway Apex Utility Wood 19* Fujikura Ventus TR Red 60
Callaway UT 18* KBS C-Taper X
Titleist 818 H2 21*
Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW KBS DG X100
Vokey SM7 52* F
Vokey SM7 58* D
Sizemore XB-1

The WGCs tried to bring "major championship" caliber play, courses and purses to the world. The IF with the major world tours (US, Euro, Asia, Japan & Aust) created these events. They at least succeeded in capturing MAJOR sponsor $$$$. The purses are huge, but the events, while important are definitely seen by the public as a notch below the majors and PLAYERS.

We can learn from the past that major status is NOT driven by the money involved. Side note, I was going to write that if a new 50 million dollar event was created in China that at some point, that event would become a major. I did some research and thinking and disagree with that hypothesis. I think the WGCs will go the way of the Tam O'Shanter Open AKA the All-America Open and the old World Championship of Golf, both run by George May. The two events, played in the 40s and 50s, had purses that dwarfed the majors. However, they sometimes did put the players through a week of "festivities" and even mandated that players wore numbers on their backs. However, by 1960 the Masters had the largest winner's check on tour followed by the US Open while the PGA had a purse more comparable to the top "regular events" and the British was towards the BOTTOM.

NOTE: and...by 1970 the winner's share of the pursues weren't necessarily at the top again: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1970_PGA_Tour

???

Terribly so??

Stay Well Bro?

RP

• Like 1

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Thanks everyone for the discussion, some really good points made and I've learned a bunch about the history of some of these tournaments. I'm still convinced it would be a great thing for golf to spread a single MAJOR around the world. And stop pretending like "THE OPEN" is some magical international tournament - it's played on the same 5 identical courses near some cold-ass rainy beach and tall grass every single year. At least it's different than the other 3.

I understand there's already some big tournaments out there. Some of the WGCs are amazing - the one in Mexico just last week was a joy to watch. But we measure an elite player's career, for better or worse, on major wins. People (used to) watch the majors (regular people). My wife watches the super bowl but not a single other football game in the year. Same goes for the masters...at least the back nine on Sunday. It's like that.

The only way we get people to watch these other events, or for the purse to increase and attract top worldwide talent, is to officially designate it as a MAJOR. Not let it organically happen, whatever the hell dumb ass said that.

I've also learned that there seems to be an inordinate amount of crusty old boomers on this board! Wow, been a long time since I've come here, but it feels like old-white-dude MAGA central up in here with some of these replies. One dude is using emojis like a 14 year old girl just had a stroke, wtf is up with you boomers these days? Such a weird generational gap, being introduced to technology when you're 60 years old turns you into something very embarrassing. I'm in total agreement with what Brooks said recently, the game is stuffy as all hell and some of you guys prove it. It's like if a major moved from the US to other countries you feel personally offended, like good old 'merica is losing some battle. This discussion had nothing to do with America's or England's pride and obviously fragile egos, it has to do with helping the struggling game of golf.

Golf viewership is rapidly declining. Golf participation is rapidly declining. Golf courses are rapidly closing. You old boomers that think things need to happen "organically" are the exact reason why the aforementioned is happening. By the time I'm your age, I hope the game of golf still even exists. Or, if I'm really lucky, there will be an actual interesting major to watch, you know, like an international one!

The UK is made up of 4 countries, 3 of which have hosted The Open. By definition it is international.

Besides, the make up of the field is probably more important. 29 different nationalities in the tournament, and many more if you include the qualifying rounds.

People come from all over the world, pro and amateur to try to make it to the tournament proper.

@SandmanGT1 You said:
"I've also learned that there seems to be an inordinate amount of crusty old boomers on this board! Wow, been a long time since I've come here, but it feels like old-white-dude MAGA central up in here with some of these replies. One dude is using emojis like a 14 year old girl just had a stroke, wtf is up with you boomers these days? Such a weird generational gap, being introduced to technology when you're 60 years old turns you into something very embarrassing. I'm in total agreement with what Brooks said recently, the game is stuffy as all **** and some of you guys prove it. It's like if a major moved from the US to other countries you feel personally offended, like good old 'merica is losing some battle. This discussion had nothing to do with America's or England's pride and obviously fragile egos, it has to do with helping the struggling game of golf."
This kind of reply seems to be typical these days, where the individual is offended by something someone says and attacks the individual(s). This is a discussion about an international major. There will be different opinions, that is what a discussion is all about. You don't have to like every opinion, but you can at least respect the fact that not everyone is going to agree with you. And, those that disagree with you should be just as respectful of your opinion.

Couple things....

First, you should realize that your post might be viewed with some amusement as you, a generation that is so timid that it finds "Seinfeld" socially offensive, think you are cooler than us "boomers". Meantime, while you and your contemporaries think you are "fire" tweeting about instagram stories and think we are "crusty", when we were your age, we were like,

5PLZNV5QFTV1.png

Second, look at what you said here,

"And stop pretending like "THE OPEN" is some magical international tournament - it's played on the same 5 identical courses near some cold-**** rainy beach and tall grass every single year".

Ok, so, I suppose I can understand how, at your age, you maybe haven't developed a taste or the patience for the Open, played on courses that marry the sea to the land, the passion and knowledge of fans whose families have played the game for hundreds of years, and once of the most inspirational meccas for golfers and especially golf pros....

“I just could not be more proud to be your champion,” Mickelson said at the awards ceremony. “I never knew in my career if I’d be equipped, if I would have the shots, if I would have the opportunity to win a tournament here. And to do it, to play some of the best golf, probably the best round of my career, and break through and capture this claret jug is probably the most fulfilling moment of my career.”

But, I think as you develop an appreciation and take off your blinders, you will grow to love this tournament.

Lastly, and again, it speaks to your lack of patience....

"The only way we get people to watch these other events, or for the purse to increase and attract top worldwide talent, is to officially designate it as a MAJOR. Not let it organically happen, whatever the **** dumb **** said that."

If you actually believe that it's practical to create a Major out of thin air. Please explain exactly how that would work.

Otherwise, not a bad rant about the older generation. But realize that younger generations have been complaining about this since back on Roman times..."Oh, c'mon Dad, I want to go to the Forum". "Not til you finish your homework"

Last year we had in Australia the President’s Cup and many players stayed for the Australian Open and Australasian PGA. These two are held yearly within a week. The PGA has bigger prizes than the Aussie Open but both still a fraction of any PGA tournaments in the USA. I reckon that majors mean money and while any event cannot have more than $10m in prizes perhaps it won’t be considered a major, even though the Players...

And NO, The Open in the U.K. is not international, it may be traditional, ancient and played in Scotland and England but this doesn’t make it international as Tennis majors are.

"The Open in the U.K. is not international, it may be traditional, ancient and played in Scotland and England but this doesn’t make it international "

I agree. When they move it out of the UK, they can call it international.

And regarding the makeup of the field, all of the majors have international representation. Here is the 2019 PGA Championship with 27 countries represented;

0I6WKDM8D830.png

And the 2019 US OPen had 30 countries represented;

A99YNOROJ5ET.png

Actually, your “stroke” dig is the most accurate intelligent comment that ya posted as indeed, I’ve had two strokes within the last 4 1/2 years and one TIA(mini stroke if you will) about 8+ months ago, though in full disclosure it’s affected the left side of my body and extremities, not so much my right, cept for about 6-8 weeks following my most recent TIA(I’m right handed).

My posts were posted in a light hearted fun manner, and the one to Basic where I OD’d on emojis was directed at him versus you and as 95%+ of my posts are from my phone, I probably use more emojis than most, and I’m perfectly fine with that, however the big reason that I love emojis is because while for you and your generation and those behind you find this keyboard/screen, 140 characters or less type of communication perfectly “normal,” and this is not a personal dig at you as I have nieces and nephews your age and younger that I adore, however I still find belly to belly exchanges/interaction the best form of communication, ESPECIALLY(you think that I overuse emojis, you should catch one of my rants with the CAPS ON??) when one is either bringing negative news, criticizing or personally attacking another individual.

You’ll have to excuse me if I don’t take someone who uses a fake username, fictitious or no avatar and averages 4.6 posts a year and responds to harmless forum banter with personal attacks, seriously.

Forget about this board, the game, Majors, yada yada yada

Regardless of your age, as maturity and self confidence cannot always be correlated with one’s chronological age, I hope that with time, experiences and maturity you learn to to read, analyze and interpret what is said in seriousness and worth responding to in kind, versus what is said, written or posted in a harmless light hearted manner and deserves a like response.

I also hope you develop the self confidence to one, not take yourself or your opinion so seriously, cuz regardless of my health history, voting record or age demographics, nothing that you have posted thus far is worthy of being taken seriously, or above being jokingly responded to, as some long standing extremely well respected members who are far more respected than I on this board have stated as much above me, though there is absolutely nothing wrong with that as every single guy who’s posted above me has started myriad threads, whether it be Basic, Sean, Roadking or Christosterone or Myself, and we’ve posted our OPINION(S) where others did not agree, and though the responses were much much more “edgy” than any of those above me in this thread, none of us responded by taking hard edged shots at the posting member.

Dude, I defend Patrick friggin Reed and his behavior??

You don’t think that I don’t take heat??????

What I do not do is take myself, my views and my opinions so seriously that I respond like a spoiled entitled lil kid and attack a member, ANY member, much less a member as well respected as any of those above me or a group of members personally.

There are times to take oneself seriously, and that is when you are belly to belly with an individual, the subject/topic is worthy and you both are held accountable for your subsequent words and actions, whatever they may be.

As some nameless faceless (I’m assuming that you’re a male?) on a golf forum??

For me at least, it ain’t the time or the place??

I do not give unsolicited advice however a few of the finest most respected members that this board has to offer took the time and offered some platinum “pearls” above.

I only hope that you are able to see em and make em you!!

Oh yea, regarding that attempt to insult using a “stroke” as the instrument, while I did find it amusing considering my health history???, for a few weeks following my second stroke along with my most recent TIA, my speech was affected and my only mode of communication was to type on my iPad as I had developed a tremor in my right hand that temporarily prevented me from holding and using a pen?/pencil and pad of paper? and I was restricted to using my iPad to communicate with everyone from Madison & my family to my doctors and therapists.

What I detest about typing words on a screen is that it is so impersonal and lacking in emotion & feelings and this is why I have always signed off on my posts with my name, cuz at least in my feeble mind, I want the individual that I am communicating with to know that I gave my words, views and post some thought and that I was thinking of them, positive or negative, though I have never nor will I ever attack someone maliciously in a post or with a keyboard and screen, only belly to belly.

It’s been my experience, and though I’ve only had 4 such experiences, and only one was with a member of this board, however all four individuals that I met that were keyboard kommandos hiding and attacking behind a keyboard & screen in the virtual world, were basically “invisible” in the real world, and to a man, not a single one was up to acting belly to belly with any of those gathered as they had when hiding behind a keyboard & screen?? This did not surprise me and only confirmed my views and opinions of the adult male that would respond like a lil 14yo schoolgirl to disagreeing light hearted banter.

Anyhoo, at the time of my post-stroke Therapy, typing myriad letter words out and stringing sentences together was time consuming, tiresome & frustrating cuz I was basically limited to one finger(index), and the emojis were a savior for me(and other stroke victims), and they even gave us a stroke based emoji app to use though it was my goal to move away from it as quickly as possible as it was much more comprehensive than any of the current emoji boards and I looked at it as a “crutch” for stroke “victims,” and as pathetically mundane as this may sound, and as helpful as the stroke rehab app was to myself and others, it was a great day when I deleted that d*mn emoji app from my phone, however I do use emojis to convey my emotions over a topic, subject or post, I’ve done this since I started posting on boards, and as I am with my signing off every post, I’m good with my emoji use?

I’m a lot of things, however I have never ever been a “victim,” ever, just your garden variety *sshole who occasionally has been at the wrong place at the wrong time, lol?

As Sean and a few others stated above me, getting all offended, takin the heat & taking it personally and then responding with serious personal shots shifts the focus away from the thread topic.

As always, just my .03 worth?

Regardless, Stay Well Sandy & I Wish You Fairways & Greens This Season

RP

• Like 1