PXG Gen3 Hero’s Pricing - Lets Go!

OspreyCI

Ok, sure they make good stuff but no iron should cost $425.00 ea. unless they are gold plated. Are they performing $300.00 better than other irons. Well, if you shoot in the 90's and then suddenly use these and shoot in the 70's, then I'd say yes, they are worth the money, If not, well. To those who have the money to buy these clubs, have at it. I don't have anything against how you spend you money. I just question why you want or need these. The overall design of PXG irons is nothing new. The use of Allan screws for weighting, in fact looks kind of crude.

• Like 1

Ping G 10*- 44.5" Adjusted to 11*
Ping i3OS 4 thru UW
Cobra SS 5 wood

Cobra Speed LD 15* 3 Wood
Titleist Vokey 56* -SW
Ping Redwood- 34"
Callaway Supersoft

Very well said starman77, It's more of an ego thing for most as look at me and what I can afford. These clubs are very nice but nothing that will make you play better golf. I think there are many golfers that can afford them and know that it's not going to make them a better golfer so they chose to use the money else where. It's hard for me to understand how people think these look so good as I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder as these look like they came off the shelf at Home Depot. I do not understand all the bragging about how remarkable they are as I guess who wouldn't try to justify their purchase especially paying 2-3 times the cost of a set that will give you the same score as a good set of Mizuno's, Callaway's etc. So now PXG owners do you all understand why the issue of cost is always brought up on almost any PXG topic. Just try to be realistic more and it's ok to brag on your equipment but to bash anything else out there as making them sound so inferior to your Home Depot irons is ridiculous and has us all laughing. Also do not try to compare these irons to boutique irons made in Japan like Epons, Miura's etc. Thats is just as funny. There are several brands out there that I would most definitely choose PXG over but I'm not going their So those who do not get offended on here enjoy your clubs spend your money how ever you want and to those who are guilty of over exaggerating this is for you. Maybe when everything has their price all jacked up as it's getting there now there won't be as much bashing on PXG. Be patient PXG owner your time will come when someone else starts picking on another brand just as bad.

• Like 1

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

I see more non PXG owners bashing PXG, than PXG owners bashing other brands.

You complain about PXG owners bashing other brands.......but here you are saying that PXG clubs look like they came off the shelf at Home Depot LOL.

People have different spending habits and will spend more money on specific items than you and I. It's no big deal. I could afford to buy a Rolex if I wanted to, but I choose not to. I'd rather wear my G-shocks. They both tell time. Some people prefer to buy chevron and shell gasoline over arco and other brands. It is what it is.

• Like 1

If you're coming to this thread to bash PXG for:

1) the price

2) Bob Parsons

3) the price

Please save us and yourself the time and just don't. The point has been made ad nauseum in every thread, instagram post, and video and it adds nothing to this thread.

Let people spend money however they please and most of all let people enjoy things. And you do the same.

• Like 2

Titleist TSR2 // Autoflex SF505

Titleist TSR2 16.5 // Vista Pro 60s

Ping G25 20, 23 // Tour AD True Spec

Titleist T200/T150 5-GW // Steelfiber i80PR

Titleist SM9 54.10, 58.12 // Steelfiber i80r

L.A.B. Golf DF3 // L.A.B. x TPT

I would argue from road cycling you can get a measurable benefit from more expensive wheels, generally stiffer and more aero, so there are probably seconds to be made. Unlike a seven iron, the only measure is probably greens hit. The real proof in the pudding if loft and length is the same as another manufacturer's club, which one will you hit more greens with?

There's always been a market for expensive clubs, in New Zealand it traditionally been Honma or XXIO which were often double the price of the main brands. From memory XXIO in particular had extremely strong irons, so of course they went further.

I'd certainly like to see testing against a similar lofted and sized iron from someone cheaper. The car analogies are often poor too, yes you can buy a Ferrari or a Toyota, but you are generally getting quite different things for your money (engine, trim etc etc). An iron is much trickier, forging then milling? I've never lusted after milled wedges, mainly as they get a pounding and replaced often.

Out of curiosity I compared the specs to my MP20s. I wouldn't even being able to get a fair comparison as the lofts are too different. I'd have to re-shaft my set in order to compare. The 0311P Gen 3 are four degrees strong until the 8 iron, then three degrees, then two.

I would bash the arrogant behavior of some PXG guys, not all. And this is the most annoying thing. Probably it is also instigated, because good or bad, the important is that you keep talking about it, and it looks that this strategy, together with the overall good quality of the gears, is paying off. So chapeau.

I didn't like Gen 1&2 and not a fan of 0211, but I can see myself playing a set of gen3 P. Having said that, I have just bought a set of new Maltby DBM (4-G) for literally the price of one Gen3 iron and I am super happy. They perform great and the fact that I got high quality irons for a more than reasonable price, makes me even happier.

General disclaimer: go get what you like and don't try to convince the world that there is nothing better. 50% of the bashes will disappear immediately, but the counter effect is the marketing effect IMO.....

• Like 1

Well as of lately their has been more PXG owners bashing their own brand and you can't blame them. It seems to be more about price too. Maybe the Hero's program did come out too early but I do like what Bob does for the veterans as why would anyone even think of complaining about 1st responders getting a break as they (WE) put our lives on the line for the safety of others. Oh and when I said they look like they came off the shelf of Home Depot I was just being silly as they do to me look silly with all those alien screws. Sorry if you work their maybe I should have said Lowes instead.

Hey wait just think if Bob would come out with different colored screws like a Red/White/Blue or just mix it up like what Scotty Cameron does to their over priced putters. Ouch now I got the Scotty Fan Boys all upset with me. Hey I played them before and like them as I do have 2 different putters that I will rotate that cost a pretty penny but are not Scotty's. I too will occasionally get schooled with someone using an $80 putter and the can rib me all they want as I just laugh with them. It just seem like it's easier to hit a nerve with PXG owners so it doesn't matter if it's price, PGA Tour status lack of results in winning or looks it's going to be something. For me to say that there is nothing better than what I'm playing is opening up the door to bashing.

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

In the fall of 2018 I was in the market for new irons. I was playing used irons I bought here and wanted to get a new set. I saw the heroes pricing commercial and thought I would check it out. I was amazed at the price they were offering the gen 1 irons with any shaft I wanted for no upcharge. I called to place an order with my specs the woman (I forgot her name) offered options for a fitting. They offered their fitting van to meet me at a range near me for a personal fitting. Due to my schedule at the time I was unable to but was blown away they offered that. About a week after my irons arrived the same woman called to ask how I liked them and if there was anything they could do if I didn’t. I am not claiming they are the best irons out there but I love them. Since then I have bought a putter and a hybrid. Both times they have checked in to see how I liked them. My putter was broken when a strap on my club’s cart failed and they rushed me a new one they even searched their warehouse to find one because they were listed as sold out.

Sorry for the rambling post but to sum it up I got a nice set of irons with the shafts of my choosing for under a grand with amazing customer service. I appreciate what they do for first responders. In the future I will probably buy from them again.

• Like 2

Of course you cannot understand why anyone would buy PXG clubs, because you cannot even grasp the fact that static loft does not mean anything anymore.

You talk about people justifying buying PXG, but here you are trying to justify your own clubs by saying if you "handicap" PXG clubs you think yours will come out on top. The funny thing is how wrong you are. If your 6 iron is the same loft and 1/2" longer than a Gen 3 7 iron yet both are going the same distance, then if you took that 1/2 inch away from your 6 iron, your swing speed and ball speed would drop. And you would likely see about a 7 yard difference loft for loft with the PXG coming out on top.

It should not matter to people what other people will pay or what they buy. But it is hypocritical to judge others and say they just try to justify their purchase, when you are trying to justify yours in a world where you want to compare the 2, but only if you can take the technology away from the one you don't own to try to give it a chance to come out equal to the one you don't own.

Thank you for posting this. When I get paired with strangers and they ask about the PXG's, I typically will say they're the best clubs for me, but it's worth it to them to try it and get fit. It never gets into a money topic, rather they'll say "your game isn't selling me on PXG's" or "I didn't think your ball would make it to the green based on that miss hit", and they can form their own opinions. I don't like to gush on PXG's when I play. I'm not a disciple of Bob Parsons or the PXG brand, I just feel they're the best clubs for me and my swing. I think strangers don't care how we spend our money, it's the people we know, people we're close to that tend to care how we spend our money. I think the other thing to consider is regardless of how you feel towards a brand, when you look down at a club, you have to like it. Even if you hit a club with outstanding numbers, if you think the club is ugly (Ping G400 irons), then you're just not going to hit it well. Even though I flushed the G400 irons, mentally, I couldn't get over how dated those clubs looked. Different folks for different strokes. I do appreciate all the negative and positive comments. It's cool to see perspectives from both sides.

Driver: PXG Gen5 0811XF 9* with Tensei CK Blue 65, stiff
3W: PXG Gen4 0341 15* with Fukijura PRO 2.0, stiff
Hybrid: PXG Gen4 0317X 19* with Fujikura PRO 2.0, stiff

4i-6i: Srixon ZX 5 MKII with NS PRO Modus Tour 120, stiff

7i-AW: Srixon ZX 7 MKII with NS PRO Modus Tour 120, stiff
54: PXG 0311 Milled Sugar Daddy with TrueTemper Elevate Tour, stiff
58: PXG 0311 Milled Sugar Daddy with TrueTemper Elevate Tour, stiff
Putter: Scotty Cameron Coronado California

I too don't like the screws on the back of the irons. I'm not sure how those minute weight changes truly affect the performance of the club. It's like the sliding weights on drivers. Is it a marketing gimmick or does it truly serve a purpose? As someone that did shoot in the 90's prior to lessons and PXG's, I now shoot in the high 80's which validates my purchase. After lessons and more dilligent practice, I wanted to see if I could perform just as well with my old Ping G400 clubs than the PXG's and while i was hitting the G400's much better than before lessons, the PXG's are more forgiving. The ball, off a PXG club, just wants to find the fairway or green. It's a unique feeling. A miss hit on the G400 is different from a miss hit on a PXG. Does it perform $300 better than the G400? No, but am I having more fun? yes. Is it $300 more fun? I don't know about that, but I would say I'm losing less golf balls, having fun flopping the ball onto the green, learning to play more creatively than before. I'm enjoying the game more with PXG, which validates my expense.

To be fair, I keep the G400's in my travel bag and I have no issue teeing them up when I travel, I just don't need the airlines to damage or lose my PXG's.

Driver: PXG Gen5 0811XF 9* with Tensei CK Blue 65, stiff
3W: PXG Gen4 0341 15* with Fukijura PRO 2.0, stiff
Hybrid: PXG Gen4 0317X 19* with Fujikura PRO 2.0, stiff

4i-6i: Srixon ZX 5 MKII with NS PRO Modus Tour 120, stiff

7i-AW: Srixon ZX 7 MKII with NS PRO Modus Tour 120, stiff
54: PXG 0311 Milled Sugar Daddy with TrueTemper Elevate Tour, stiff
58: PXG 0311 Milled Sugar Daddy with TrueTemper Elevate Tour, stiff
Putter: Scotty Cameron Coronado California

I was between MP-20 MB's and PXG Gen3 T's. I loved the look and feel of the MP-20MBs, but the mishits (I have bad ball striking days) still were able to find the green or front edge and still went toward the target with the Gen3 T's. To me, and my budget, that was absolutely worth the extra cost. I strike the ball better w/ narrow soles because of my shallow attack angle (sweeper), so my ball striking is typically better with blades opposed to GI's or player distance irons. I'm not good enough/consistent enough for blades, PXG Gen3 T's offered the benefits of both worlds for me. Some people would prefer to pick one of the two and save money, I'd rather get both and pay what it costs. Different strokes for different folks. If I toe an iron into a green, I like still being able to putt or chip to get up and down opposed to having to try and hit another iron shot into the green again because it went wayward.

GAMER SETUP:

Callaway AiSmoke TD 8* @ 7* | Tour AD HD 7s 

Callaway AiSmoke TD 3W | Denali Black 6.0 70g

TaylorMade SIM Ti 5W | Tour AD TP 7s

Callaway Apex Black 4-P | Nippon Modus 120 S +1"

Titleist 48* @ 49* Vokey SM9 | Nippon Modus 120 S +1”

Titleist 54* @ 55* Vokey SM9 | Nippon Modus 120 S +1”

Titleist 58* @ 59* Vokey SM9 | Nippon Modus 120 S +1”

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 | 36" - 71* - 3.5*

I love the "I didn't think your ball would make it to the green on that mishit"! On Sunday I had a PW into the green and ended up finding the front of the green with a midright pin location. I commented after contact, "dang-it I missed that one bad!" while the ball was in the air. It landed on the green about 10 feet on and my playing partners who were guests remarked that I clearly didn't miss the green. I commented back "the swing was an awful miss, finding the green was the forgiveness of PXG not my ability" . At my fitting I started trying to toe it, because I couldn't get over how straight and far the ball went on poor ball strikes.

• Like 1

GAMER SETUP:

30% off is a deal. It just may not be a deal people want to buy.

GAMER SETUP:

Where did I say that I don't understand why people buy PXG? I have no issue with people buying PXG. However I was pointing out that people need to be realistic when buying clubs. Static loft is important, it still determines ultimately the ball flight and distance. And if I were to be fit for clubs, then I want to compare apples with apples, there's no point me hitting another manufacturers 6 iron to compare against my own if it has a longer shaft and stronger loft. I'm not trying to 'handicap' PXG irons vs my own to come out on top. I want my irons to go the same distance as my old irons and not have big gaps between clubs. I play with strong players who hit considerably less club than me into par threes, that doesn't concern me, if someone wants to hit a strong lofted seven iron when I have to hit a six iron and think they're a better player because of it that's ok too. I have a friend I play with who grew up in the UK who hits wonderful knock down shots, we will be trying to muscle a nine iron, and he's choked down on a seven and hit it three quarters.

I'd actually love to see manufacturers standardize lofts for irons, say a 6i must be x loft +- 1 degree but that's off topic. Personally I don't think PXG is better or worse than anything else out there, the looks are a bit polarizing.

My point is, if you hit more greens with them, great, if not, then that's ok too. All manufacturers are strengthening their clubs, it's inevitable.

And if you're bored.. PXG on top, Mizuno on the bottom. But the differences between the Titleist is almost minimal. Be good to see a less players orientated version.

VS Titleist TMB

• Like 1

I hate to break it to you, but based on the images of the videos you posted, the PXG's shown are Gen 1's. I don't know that anyone here is claiming Gen 1's are better than or even offer the same performance as Gen 3's. From all accounts, the Gen 3's are superior to the Gen 1's, and as such, comparing the Gen 1's to any other clubs is apropos of nothing.

Driver: TaylorMade SIM 8* (standard setting) with MCA Tensei AV Raw Orange 75TX at 44.5"
3W: TaylorMade M5 15* (standard setting) with Oban Devotion 8 O5 at 42"
Hybrid: PXG Gen 2 0317X 19* (standard setting) with Oban Kiyoshi Purple Hybrid O5 at 39.5"
4i-9i: Callaway '18 Apex MB's with KBS C-Taper 130X at 1/4" long
46: Callaway JAWS MD5 10S
50: Callaway JAWS MD5 10S
54: Callaway JAWS MD5 8C
58: Callaway JAWS MD5 8W
Putter: Kari Lajosi Custom DD201WB

They are Gen 1s. There aren't comparisons for Gen 3 yet, from a very brief search. The point was, spec for spec, the PXGs were slightly better than the other two (straighter and longer), but equal when compared to the TMB which was a degree weaker.

Presumably the other manufacturers make incremental gains too, the Titleist AP3 (long irons at least) went absurd distances.

Like I said, unpopular opinion. However, I base that off of their irons and wedges are their most desirable items.

Irons:

0211: 56%

0311ST: 20%

GEN3: 20%

Wedges: 0%

I applaud them for offering discounts to veterans and first responders. But their advertising, IMO, oversells the discount they provide to those people.

People can buy what they and I know many people with PXG equipment. I just don't think their Hero pricing is as good as they advertise.

To me, this shows what kind of markup they have on their clubs. After all, they are in business to make money as all businesses are. When you offer your product cheap, either you made too many that are not selling and your are cutting your losses, you are still making some profit selling them cheap, or you are giving your stuff away below cost and won't last in business much longer. I say their clubs have a hefty mark up and they are still making money even when discounting them.

• Like 1

Ping G 10*- 44.5" Adjusted to 11*
Ping i3OS 4 thru UW
Cobra SS 5 wood

Cobra Speed LD 15* 3 Wood
Titleist Vokey 56* -SW
Ping Redwood- 34"
Callaway Supersoft

depends on your budget really.

if you're willing to spend 2k on a set of irons as opposed to 3k. Then it's a deal.

if you were going to purchase the gen3's at $425, but can now buy them at $340 a club. Then it's a deal.

Don't assume a deal for you is the same for everybody else.

Ive had several sets of Gen1 0311s, currently Gen2 0311P and had a set of the Gen3. Frankly all were the same lofts and lengths and main difference is feel. Gen2 and 3 seem to be a little smaller and slightly less offset than the Gen1. I demoed my Gen2 7 iron to the Gen3 the Gen3 felt a little softer but really no diff in distance. The people that say theyre getting 7-10 yards more with Gen3 are trying to justify their purchase.

I bought a set of Gen1 PXG clubs 5 through wedge for $900 from Callaway preowned and I love them. I got really lucky with the shafts which are Steelfiber i110 S flex and fit me perfectly. I re-shafted my Macdaddy wedges with Steelfiber shafts and they are performing quite well though I would not mind buying some used PXG wedges if I could find them. At any rate I am quite certain that the PXG clubs perform better then anything else that I have every played on off center hits. Many times I know that I miss hit a shot and look up expecting to see the ball flying into a bad place only to see it tracking on target. That plus the fact that the irons were actually considerably cheaper then the CF19s that I was fitted for at Club Champion last year. LOL the only drawback is some other golfers opinion of me for carrying the PXGs. I must be rich and not to bright! The funny thing is that if I had bought the Callaway irons for more money nobody would notice what I was playing. I have to admit based on some of the stuff that I have read about Gen3s that it is a bit tempting to get fit for a set. If they are really considerably better then the Gen1s then what the heck? Of course being raised by parents who survived the great depression it is much more likely that I will buy some used Gen3s when the the Gen5 comes out in x number of years!

Heroes pricing is currently $99/club.

Driver: TaylorMade SIM 8* (standard setting) with MCA Tensei AV Raw Orange 75TX at 44.5"
3W: TaylorMade M5 15* (standard setting) with Oban Devotion 8 O5 at 42"
Hybrid: PXG Gen 2 0317X 19* (standard setting) with Oban Kiyoshi Purple Hybrid O5 at 39.5"
4i-9i: Callaway '18 Apex MB's with KBS C-Taper 130X at 1/4" long
46: Callaway JAWS MD5 10S
50: Callaway JAWS MD5 10S
54: Callaway JAWS MD5 8C
58: Callaway JAWS MD5 8W
Putter: Kari Lajosi Custom DD201WB