USGA and RA about to screw up this game over distance

bogeypro

But one can at least be competitive in pool with a cheap cue, and even play it at a world class level. Ken Doherty, (yes snooker I know) is a world champion with a 2€ house cue (and warped at that). In cue sports a good stroke and tip will get you very far, (and I see a lot of similarity in pool cues and putters.)

It is perhaps unfair to compare the cost of equipment to the costs spent on access to facilities, as, in the case of the beginner, that might not be the case, and because the smaller per-use cost for facility access is generally more paletable than prices in the multiple hundreds.

Put another way, I would spend far more on gas/insurance/trips if I had a car than on the car itself, so buying a car should be no big deal... But it doesn't quite work that way... ;)

(I would also like to point out that for a golfer/bowler/pool player such as myself, what you said above is absolutely true, because I am hooked and have decided I will play those games as my form of fun come h and high water. But a casual player or beginner might see those costs as a barrier to his further participation.)

I don’t think golf was more popular in the UK before ‘tech’ came in. The availability of tee times at weekends had more to do with the explosion in numbers of courses built in the ‘90s, the vast majority of those built then and since have been on a payaand play model to satisfy the increased demand from ‘nomadic’ non club member golfers. This has led to a decline in club members which in the ‘80s and early ‘90s was the only way to get a game of golf at the weekends and most of these members clubs had waiting lists and joining fees, both of which were wiped out by the new facilities. The number of golfers has certainly risen since the ‘introduction’ of tech but due to the increase in golf courses the utilisation per course may have declined.

I just checked my County, Gloucestershire, and of the 40 clubs 16 were built in the 1990s and later (5 of these facilities have more than one course). Just to date this I believe (and I’m sure someone will correct it if I’m wrong), that Olazabal was the first winner of the Masters with a metal driver in 1994.

Also golf was an old man’s sport in the 80s and before.

Again, why should a ball company shoulder the cost of an ill thought out change? That is one question.....the other, perhaps prime question, is really? Just one version of the new ball? When was the player last given a performance choice? Perhaps we could go further and make drivers for players to use? Same shaft, loft length and lie? They could save money....every group just needs one bag of identical clubs.

Bifurcation will not work....rollbacks will not work. Back to the drawing board for course architects.

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

I suspect this is a common theme in a lot of countries. I do wonder what the definition of a golfer is? Belonging to a club? Maintaining a handicap? I realise this is fairly US centric forum, but I think New Zealand is a little more like the UK where most golfers are members of clubs, and maintain handicaps. Therefore in terms of statistics, should casual (player) rounds be counted?

Anyone considered this 'distance' issue might be getting driven by the manufacturers and brands, rather than the governing bodies?

Maybe? There is a hidden agenda here to get to an agreement for a standard golf ball to be used by all players in a tournament. A bit like tyres are for race cars etc.

A company becomes the ball supplier for a tournament or tour. All players use that same regulation, distance controlled ball to 'level' the playing field.

Easy solution to manage distance?

No impact on amateurs?

No impact on club technology improvements.

Maybe?

Your point is well take and one I would agree with. My comment was more to see the overall feelings about bifurcation. Do we as amateur golfers/weekend warriors really care if a set of rules, regulations, equipment modifications, etc...were only applied to those playing at the highest level. In this comment, I would define highest level to be those playing on a professional tour or those am's that compete at the highest level. Not necessarily me, the 10 handicap who likes to compete against his buddies and play in flighted club competitions. Hope this makes sense.

If you read the summary document, they talk about two specific "Next Steps" planned:

"1. We will assess the potential use of a Local Rule option that would specify use of clubs and/or balls intended to result in shorter hitting distances. The concept is that equipment meeting a particular set of reduced-distance specifications – for example, a ball that does not travel as far or a club that will not hit a ball as far – might be a defined subset of the overall category of conforming equipment. This could allow committees that conduct golf competitions or oversee individual courses to choose, by Local Rule authorized under the Rules of Golf, whether and when to require that such equipment be used. Such a Local Rule option could be available for use at all levels of play, and golfers playing outside of a competition could also have the option to make this choice for themselves.

2. We will also review the overall conformance specifications for both clubs and balls, including specifications that both directly and indirectly affect hitting distances. The intended purpose of this review is to consider whether any existing specifications should be adjusted or any new specifications should be created to help mitigate the continuing distance increases. It is not currently intended to consider revising the overall specifications in a way that would produce substantial reductions in hitting distances at all levels of the game."

Within the next month or so, they expect to make available a more specific list of research topics

Here's the link to the document: https://www.usga.org/content/dam/usga/pdf/2020/distance-insights/SOC-FINAL.pdf

I think it would be interesting if they left the sprinklers on during the tournament too. It takes some skills to learn how to play around those things.

Ping G400 Max Ventus Blue TR

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs