2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Club Champion Fitting Today

sciggs

I was extremely happy with my fitting at club champion about a year ago (had a golf tec fitting before and that was atrocious). Just think the prices for club champion are outrageous. I saved $1000 for a set of 4-PW ordering online custom specs through a dealing that goes right through Titleist. Got the exact setup I would have had through CC.

Titleist TSR3 8 deg - Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6X

Titleist TSi3 15 deg - Fujikura Ventus Black 8X

Titleist TSR3 19 deg - Fujikura Ventus Black HB 9TX

Titleist T200 4 - TT DG TI X100

Titleist T100 (2019) 5-PW - TT DG TI X100

Vokey SM10 Jet Black 50.12 F - TT DG TI X100

Vokey SM10 Jet Black 54.14 F - TT DG TI S400

Vokey SM10 Jet Black 58.08 M - TT DG TI S400

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Titleist ProV1

So... got my sticks today.

They were promised 0306. They arrived 0303. A plus since I'm off tomorrow and it's going to be 60*. They'll either see the local par 3 or I'll take them to Topgolf and play a few virtual courses. I gripped them right away ( I requested to grip them myself, and this will lead to my only complaint). They were built by Ping, sent to CC HQ in Chicago, sent to my fitter, and my fitter brought them to me in an extra effort sort of way. The shop is about 45 minutes from my house but the fitter lives 5 minuets from my work, so he dropped them off. So my clubs were dropped off tonight and I had a chance to get to know them a little. First off, they're listed as 2* up. I received Black dots, meaning CC took ownership of the clubs and ordered and bent them to my 63* @i6 rather than ordering the Green dot. I happen to have about 8 PGA pro's in the building when they got delivered and brought the i6 to them to look at. It seemed I got a 9/10 for build. I then went to put the grips on. I have to say this was my disappointment. So, when the clubs were built without the grips the KBS sticker was applied too high on the shaft. There was some back and forth about if the shaft was cut wrong, but the end consensus was that the stickers were applied hastily without the grip to guide them. When I went to grip the clubs I wound up removing all 7 KBS stickers so I could get the grips on. Literally the grips came down to the B in KBS on each shaft. So now I have blank shafts, but I figured out I can order KBS stickers to preserve the final build. Is this about vanity? No. The KBS sticker wound up half covered by each grip and could affect the gripping. If I ever go to sell them I need to make sure that the buyer can see the KBS C Taper S is visible.

A few hours after gripping I fired up the i8. I hit it well but but not in a place to get real numbers, I will say an 18 year old coworker blasted the i8 220 yards with flighted balls. They hit well. At a 20% disadvantage I was hitting the i4 the same 220 yards, again with a 10% flighted ball. They hit well.

Over all... right now... I'm giving the CC experience a 9/10. Again, not vanity, bud the KBS sticker thing was frustrating. Aside from that the 5% CC idiot tax I paid is still worth it since I still have an open adjustment and gaping fitting available at no cost, 4.5 stars, will do again. Ready to set up a driver fitting. Will be reviewing the i500's tomorrow soon.

• 3 months later...

Beyond wrong. Go to your local club champion and ask them how they operate before you spew misinformation. If they are flaky, that's a different story, but everyone is very upfront in their pricing breakdown. Everything I know is head only accounts (meaning no stock shafts "thrown away") and then shaft price plus installation.

917D3 8.5* Atmos Blue 6X
917F2 15* Motore Speeder 7.2 X
915Hd 20.5* Rogue Black 85 S
716 AP2 4-PW Project X LZ 5.5 tipped .5"
Vokey SM6 50.12* F, TVD 54* K 58* K
Bettinardi Kuchar Model 2 KBS Tour Custom Black/Blue 34"

I'm considering a Club Champion full bag fitting. However, I've bought most of my stuff this year at 2nd Swing and can exchange a driver/fairway/hybrid/putter through August 1st, so I'm really not interested in buying anything from CC - just getting my fitting, numbers, and recommendations. I recognize the value of getting custom fit clubs but I'm pretty cost-conscious and even the full bag fitting is a bit of a stretch. Anyone else done something similar, not bought anything from a "tour van" full bag fitting and ultimately sourced older discounted new clubs or on the secondhand market? I'd feel even better doing this with my 2nd Swing credit as they're pretty good at customizing loft/lie/swingweights with even used purchases.

Ping G430 LST, 9, Ventus Blue 6S

Titleist TS2, 15, Hzrdus Smoke Black 70, 6.0

Apex UW, 19, AD-DI 8S

Srixon ZX, 23

Ping i230, 5-PW, Modus 120x

Ping S159, 48.12 S (at 49)

Vokey SM10, 54.12 D

Vokey SM9, 60.12 D (at 59)

Odyssey Triple Track Ten S, 34"

Z-Star Diamond 

I've read a lot posts from people who got fitted at Club Champion and took their specs somewhere else and bought clubs. The issue you may run into is that CC is only going to have current year products to fit you into. For example, you may be able to get a great deal on an Epic Flash fairway wood from 2ndswing, but you may not be able to get fitted into one at CC as they can no longer purchase them from Callaway.

Fair enough and good callout. I don't really know another way to go about it though. 2nd Swing isn't doing used demos/fittings right now, and my other option is fitting at a PGA SS - not ideal but the dude at my local one seems very reputable. I currently have driver/putter/irons on the books at PGA SS for $150 total over three sessions but at this point I'm thinking, might as well go with CC and spend the extra $150 and do the whole bag with a more reputable company. I'll be taking educated guesses on used or discounted stuff no matter where I go, I think. I'd be very curious to hear other's thoughts and experiences.

Ping G430 LST, 9, Ventus Blue 6S

Titleist TS2, 15, Hzrdus Smoke Black 70, 6.0

Apex UW, 19, AD-DI 8S

Srixon ZX, 23

Ping i230, 5-PW, Modus 120x

Ping S159, 48.12 S (at 49)

Vokey SM10, 54.12 D

Vokey SM9, 60.12 D (at 59)

Odyssey Triple Track Ten S, 34"

Z-Star Diamond 

I didn’t have the best experience with CC. I was playing AP2’s at the time with DG S300 and I knew they were wrong. I didn’t have enough speed to get these to work right. A CC opened up by me and I thought I would give them shot. My main complaint was distance with my current head/shaft combo but obviously dispersion matters. I liked Titleist so we went through the line at the time and settled on AP1 with a lighter graphite shaft, I can’t remember what the shaft was. About halfway through my second range session my 7 iron head goes flying into the range. I have been fitted several times and that has never happened before. I bring the entire set in and about 10 days later I got them back. I did not have a backup set so no clubs for 10 days.

They were very nice about it and seemed shocked that this had happened. Not good info as far as specifics for you guys but I do remember that it was really expensive compared to 2nd Swing. I traded the AP1’s in to 2nd Swing and went back to AP2 with a different shaft that they fitted me for. It was true that I got quite a bit of distance out of the AP1 but I hated those clubs. To much offset and not much for control. Some of this is my fault as I could have pushed the looks and dispersion issue with them but the fitter was just going crazy about how far I was hitting those clubs. I was a little too polite and just went with it.

I have said this before in another thread but these fittings are not magic, especially with a club you hit off the ground. I think Driver fittings translate to your game better than iron fittings. What I discovered is that I need a heavier shaft, not to heavy, and a thin sole to help me flight the ball the way I want. It’s hard to hit off a mat to simulate your strike off grass.

My last set was an off the rack T-100 set that I love and hit well. Everyone is different but that was my experience. I felt CC was trying to squeeze as much money out of me that they could so good for them and I paid it, so my bad. They really pushed to pure the shafts telling me its a waste to get these clubs and not perfect them with puring them. The entire thing just left me feeling not so good, pissed at them and pissed at myself.

just one persons experience.

I got fitted at club champion over a year ago and I ended up buying my driver from them. I took it back for an adjustment and now it is working really well. I bought irons and hybrids from Callaway Pre-owned and I am quite happy with them. According to my putter fitting my putter was fine and I have nearly a pro quality stroke LOL. Anyway the fitting was a good experience and I learned from it. I think that getting fit and buying similar used clubs is a good way to go.

Kudos to you for taking the time and effort to build a set of clubs that are perfect for you. It's great that you are happy, and it sounds like CC did a great job servicing you. Happy customer - good service, and a happy businessperson. Capitalism at work. Screw the naysayers who commented on your post, and please feel welcome to continue to update the forum on your progress with your new clubs. Truly a sad state that people feel compelled to tell you how to spend your money. Also - I AM NOT WEARING A MASK RIGHT NOW.

• Like 1

[list]
[*][size=4][b][color=#0000ff]Ping G410 LST, Mitsubishi Tensei Orange Pro [/color][/b][/size]
[*][size=4][color=#008000][b]Ping G410 3 wood, Mitsubishi Diamana BF[/b][/color][/size]
[*][size=4][color=#008000][b]Ping G410 3 hybrid, Mitsubishi Tensei Blue Pro[/b][/color][/size]
[*][size=4][color=#008000][b]Ping G410 4 hybrid, Evenflow Black[/b][/color][/size]
[*][size=4][b]Titleist T200 5-9 KBS Tour Flt [/b][/size]
[*][size=4][b][color=#daa520]Callaway MD5 45,49,54,58/[/color]
[*][color=#b22222][b][size=4]TP Mills Trad II Hand Forged [/size][/b][/color]
[/list]

I guess you all think that Club Champion got their building, their equipment, the clubs they use to fit people, and their employees - all for free, and they have no profit motive? Do you do everything in your life at cost?, with no expectation of a profit?

[list]
[*][size=4][b][color=#0000ff]Ping G410 LST, Mitsubishi Tensei Orange Pro [/color][/b][/size]
[*][size=4][color=#008000][b]Ping G410 3 wood, Mitsubishi Diamana BF[/b][/color][/size]
[*][size=4][color=#008000][b]Ping G410 3 hybrid, Mitsubishi Tensei Blue Pro[/b][/color][/size]
[*][size=4][color=#008000][b]Ping G410 4 hybrid, Evenflow Black[/b][/color][/size]
[*][size=4][b]Titleist T200 5-9 KBS Tour Flt [/b][/size]
[*][size=4][b][color=#daa520]Callaway MD5 45,49,54,58/[/color]
[*][color=#b22222][b][size=4]TP Mills Trad II Hand Forged [/size][/b][/color]
[/list]

It’s one thing to pay a fair price for a product and service and it’s another to get fleeced. I paid it and I should have known better. I responded so that others here can have some help making an informed decision about how they spend their money and to learn from my mistake. CC should turn a profit but really? 2700 that the OP paid, does that seem like a fair price given the responses to the post? Everyone can make the OP feel better by saying that being a happy camper makes everything right but does it?