What’s Replacing Your Ping G400 Max for 2020?

This thread was inspired by a question I saw on Golfwrx last March ... I've had the Ping G400 Max in my bag for the past year-and-a-half (stock shaft, R flex, shaft length at 45 inches), and I find it to be a pretty amazing club. I've also gamed a Callaway Fusion Heavy Driver on occasion (stock shaft, R flex, shaft length at 44.5 inches), but the G400 Max continues to hold the top spot in my golf bag.

So, for those of you who have been playing the G400 Max and have chosen to drop It for something shiny and new in 2020, what new driver beat out your trusty Max? Who here has made the switch, and why?

Thanks in advance for any/all responses ...

Mike

Callaway Epic Flash Star Driver, 10.5 Degrees, R Flex
Callaway Epic Flash Star 3 Wood and 5 Wood, R Flex

Callaway Epic Flash Star 3H, 4H, 5H and 6H, R Flex

Callaway Epic Forged Star 7 Iron, R Flex
Ping Karsten Irons, 8-PW, R Flex
Cleveland Smart Sole 4 SW
Odyssey X-Act Tank Chipper
Odyssey Stroke Lab Seven S Putter, 34 inches

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This thread is blasphemy!

Looking at ST200 and SZ Extreme as possible substitutes. The Mavrik and SIMs are too expensive to be considered as new tools in my opinion.

I scored a deal on a 410 LST and traded in my 400Max to buy a Mavrik SZ. Two great drivers to fiddle with in 2020.

My Max was knocked out by G410 LST.

For me LST was longer without out losing accuracy or forgiveness.

Currently LST is battling TM SIM. SIM is a bit faster and longer... but after a couple of rounds it’s proving to be less constant.

TaylorMade SIM Driver 8º ~ Tour AD IZ-6
TaylorMade M5 Fairway 14º • 19º ~ Tour AD IZ-7
Titleist U•510 Iron 4i ~ PX HZRDUS Black 80
Epon by Endo AF-505 Irons 5 – PW ~ PX 6.0
Titleist Vokey SM8 'Voke Handground' Wedges 50.12F (51º) • 56.08M (57º) • 62.08M (63º) ~ PX 6.0
Titleist Scotty Cameron Circle T Del Mar Buttonback Select Tour Prototype (A026140) 
Bridgestone Tour B X

I scored a deal on a 410 LST and traded in my 400Max to buy a Mavrik SZ. Two great drivers to fiddle with in 2020.

• Like 1

Titleist TSi2 10, Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 6X, 45"

Titleist TSi2 16.5, Fujikura Ventus Red Velocore 7X, 43"

TaylorMade GAPR Mid 4, KBS

Titleist T100S, KBS C-Taper S+ 5-PW

Titleist SM8, 50F, 54S, 60D, TT S400 Custom 

Scotty Cameron Phantom X12, 35", Stability Tour

[url="https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/"]https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/[/url]

Although I ❤️‘D my G400max, it was beaten out of the bag this past fall by the TM M6, which for me was longer with better dispersion and had a sound/feel I preferred over the max. But that same m6 was just beaten out of the bag by a TM sim max. More of the same as m6....just even more of a preferred sound and feel.

Just traded my 9* G400 Max w/ Alta CB 55 stiff for the standard 10.5* Callaway Mavrik w/ Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI stiff. On the GC2 the Mavrik was longer and more consistent. The G400 Max sounds and feel were substantially worse than the Mavrik, as well. The Mavrik feels much more “dense/solid”. The forgiveness on the course will be interesting as the Max kept every shot playable but at the cost of distance. Hopefully, the Mavrik can be almost as forgiving but have those 10 years I’m searching for. 10 yards doesn’t sound like much but any time I can take one less iron I’m happier.

Callaway Mavrik 9* w/ Aldila ROGUE White 130 M.S.I. 60
Callaway Mavrik 3 wood w/ Aldila ROGUE White 130 M.S.I. 70
Callaway Rogue Heavenwood w/ Project X Evenflow Blue 75
PXG Gen 1 0311X 4 iron w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80
PXG 0211 5-PW w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

Cleveland CBX 52* and 56* w/ Rotex Graphite

Cleveland RTX4 60* w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Olson Manufacturing Legacy Stainless

This will be redundant but you gotta go hit them. I was thinking I’d go with the SIM as well but I didn’t like it at all. It looked good but that was it. For me, the Mavrik was evidentially better. Bottom line is that like many others I was willing to look past the G400 Max’s shortcomings (looks, feel, sound and distance) because of its insane forgiveness. Now that it’s two generations behind, the others have closed the gap in the forgiveness department enough to warrant a change.

Callaway Mavrik 9* w/ Aldila ROGUE White 130 M.S.I. 60
Callaway Mavrik 3 wood w/ Aldila ROGUE White 130 M.S.I. 70
Callaway Rogue Heavenwood w/ Project X Evenflow Blue 75
PXG Gen 1 0311X 4 iron w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80
PXG 0211 5-PW w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

Cleveland CBX 52* and 56* w/ Rotex Graphite

Cleveland RTX4 60* w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Olson Manufacturing Legacy Stainless

So far nothing. Tried a few things and while the Maverick sounds a lot better (can't honestly think of a driver that doesn't sound better than a Max, but I digress) I haven't found enough difference to spend the money. I've been playing around with a TM Original One and I sometimes toss that in the bag just for a change of pace, but that's more of diversion than a real replacement.

Nothing as well. Believe me, I fiddle with drivers and shafts like crazy. I've even gone so far as to purchase a Cobra F9 w/ Atmos TS Blue 6s after I was fitted for it at a big box. The LM numbers on the Cobra were amazing, I've hit the longest drives of life with that driver. However, I still went back to the Max. The Max forgiveness is unreal. To stop the insanity, I've made it a rule to myself that I would not to mess with any more drivers until there was another driver with more MOI than the Max. As far as I know, Speedzone Xtreme is close but I refuse to hit it. Seriously, my swing changes too much from week to week to mess with the flavor of month. I'm sticking with the Max until something comes out with more MOI.

I absolutely love my Max. But I will hit some things over demo day this spring to see if anything kicks it out. We have a demo day with Cobra at my home course in a few weeks. The Speedzone SZ and Extreme look intriguing. I also want to hit the ST200.

Like others have said, the G400 Max is SO forgiving that it will be hard to give up. It's a little shorter and doesn't sound the best....but it find fairways. I'm not giving up the forgiveness for a few more yards. It needs to be just as forgiving.

WITB (as of 11/14/20)
PING G410 PLUS 9*
PING G400 5-wood
PING G410 22*
Srixon Z565 5-PW
Cleveland CBX 2 50*
Cleveland CBX 2 54*
Cleveland CBX Full Face 58*
Cleveland Frontline Elevado
Srixon Z-Star

I actually made the switch from my Epic Flash Sub Zero to G400 Max last month. I couldn't find fairways with the subzero and it was spinning too low. I was looking for a forgiving driver and realized all 2019/2020 releases were lower MOI than the G400 Max. So I got fitted and recorded my personal best score on the field with the G400 Max simply because all of my tee shots were in play.

Like many G400 Max users here, I absolutely cannot stand the sound, feel, and loss of distance. It's like, you know shes the one but you're always left curious. But the bottom line is, keeping the tee shots on the fairway is key, so for me it's staying in the bag.

However, I'm constantly demoing other drivers to see if it can beat the G400 Max. I read PXG 0811 XF Gen 2 has the same amount of MOI, so hoping to try that out to see if it works.