TP5X on tour

kasting333

I know DJ recently switched away from the X and into the regular. Also Morikowa is not playing the X. Rory switched out of it last year.

is it too inconsistent? If tour players are noticing a problem then I don’t want to play it.

SIM 8* Ventus Black 7x
Ping G25 3 wood Diamana D+ X

NLU 18* DI Ventus Black 10X
Muira 1957 4-PW X100 120
Vokey SM8 M 50*/Vokey SM4 S 56*/Vokey SM8 T 60*
Scotty Cameron Mil Spec 350 35” 
Tour BX S

I just think it spins a hair too low spin for some Tour guys when you take into account the thick rough and hard green with pins tucked on small shelfs. Most Tour guys can live with 5 less yards off driver and 3 wood to gain more control with their irons and wedges by playing a spinier ball.

• Like 2

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

They just need more spin and TP5X is too low for them. I just bought up a dozen when I ordered my SIM to see if I can get my iron spin down some. Usually play ProV1x and spinning them too much but like the feel. Going to test TP5x against ProV1x left dash to see what I go with for the year.

Titleist TSR3 8 deg - Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6X

Titleist TSi3 15 deg - Fujikura Ventus Black 8X

Titleist TSR3 19 deg - Fujikura Ventus Black HB 9TX

Titleist T200 4 - TT DG TI X100

Titleist T100 (2019) 5-PW - TT DG TI X100

Vokey SM10 Jet Black 50.12 F - TT DG TI X100

Vokey SM10 Jet Black 54.14 F - TT DG TI S400

Vokey SM10 Jet Black 58.08 M - TT DG TI S400

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Titleist ProV1

As @HappyGilmore22 said, I think it simply comes down to spin for those guys. My home club has fast but receptive greens, and the TP5x is the perfect golf ball for me under those circumstances. Those few times a year when I play courses similar to tour conditions, meaning seriously firm & fast greens, I almost always switch over to a Pro V1x for a little more spin coming in.

• Like 1

Rogue ST LS 10.5 | TSi2 15 | G425 4H 20.5 | ZX4 4 | ZX5 5-P | CBX ZC 48 & 52.5 | Glide 2.0 Stealth 58 | Itsy Bitsy Spider | TP5x

Tp5x is quite a bit lower spinning than tp5 gotta think that’s the reason why.

Taylormade QI10LS 10.5 @11.25 Ventus TR Red 6X

Taylormade Stealth Plus 3 wood 15 @15.75 Ventus TR Red 8X

Taylormade Stealth 2+ 2 Rescue @18.5* LAGP AXS RED 85HX
Titleist T200 4-6 T150 7-PW Modus 105X 4 iron 120X 5-PW

Taylormade My MG4 50 Modus 120X
Taylormade My MG4 56 TI DG S400

Taylormade My High Toe 3 60 TI DG S400

Taylormade Spider Tour V Stability Tour

Taylormade TP5X 2024

Was hitting some quack hooks in Maui.

Callaway triple Diamond paradym 9*- hulk 60tx 

Callaway paradym triple diamond - hulk 70tx 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid Matrix Black Tie 90x 
Srixon zx7mkii 456 / ZForgedii 789P- MMT 125tx 
Cleveland RTX6 50/54/ S400 TI Onyx 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grind 
Tri-hot double wide 

Taylormade should consider coming out with a version right between the two. X is so deep off the driver and great wind ball with the irons but simply doesn’t perform from 50 yards and in like other premium balls. This is fine for soft munis but rock hard greens causes issues. The TP5 is just a tad too high spin off the driver and with irons.

Everyone will have a different opinion but the general consensus is the TP5X does not spin enough in the short game. Ricky plays the TP5 as well. It was noticeable last year ( or year prior) before and after Rory switched. He had no distance control with wedges using the X would catch, low spin, knuckle fliers but it changed almost instantly when he switched to the TP5.

Callaway Paradym TD 8*/HZRDUS GEN4 Black Limited Edition 60TX

Ping G425 LST 3W/Hulk 70TX

G425 3H/Ventus 9x HY

PXG 0311 Gen 4 T/ST Combo/PX LZ 6.5

Vokey SM9 50F/54S/58M, DG Black Onyx x100

Agreed. The tour preferred seemed to not have this spin issue on the wedge shots. It’s great to get the knuckle ball drive but not worth the sacrifice of control. I wish they would remake the 2014 TPx ball.

SIM 8* Ventus Black 7x

Muira 1957 4-PW X100 120
Tour BX S

• 4 weeks later...

The lower spin of the TP5X really only becomes noticeable on very firm/hard greens, and is more of an issue on full(er) shots. It spins fine on chips and most short game shots IMO.

My home course has very receptive greens, so no problem with the X there, but I played in several tournaments, including US Senior Am qualifying, where the greens were extraordinarily firm like you might find on Tour. A bit more spin would've been helpful on full mid & short irons. Overall it's a great ball though and I'll continue using it. Very stable in the wind...

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

• 1 month later...

Guys there is plenty of data out there on these balls, surprised to see so many erroneous statements. The tp5 and the X are very close on the driver 3 wood, and very close on the full wedges and partial wedges. Not enough to see any real benefits or drawbacks. The big difference, is feel and launch (x will be higher and the X is substantially lower spin in the mid and short irons.

As a general profile, these are how the ball plays. Will the numbers be different based on a players swing, yes but not as much as you think. Not enough to quantify 15 yards shorter/ longer. Perhaps if one ball compressed more than the other based on a REALLY slow speed then maybe, but we know that isnt the case, and REALLY slow speeds arent playing this ball. Data suggests the X is at 2170 revs(driver)and the regular tp5 is at 2294 in a certain test. This is with a 115 mph swing speed. As speed goes up this gap may get bigger but your looking at max 200 revs difference given same strike and delivery. If speeds go down this gap actually decreases. Now if a player is a “high spin player” (delivery) and spins the X at 3000 revs, this is a 38% increase in spin. Apply 38% to the normal tp5 and we get 3190 for a difference of 190 revs. 200 revs does not equal 15 yards i don't care who you are.

On the course experience has to be taken with a grain of salt because there are SO many variables that can influence the result. Strike, wind, ground firmness, unaccounted for elevation.

In my case, the TP5 and TP5x are extremely similar and can only notice any difference on full wedge shots, in which the tp5 bites just a bit more than the X. I doubt most players, including WRxers will notice a huge difference between this. Also take in consideration that about 50% of the TM pros are playing TP5 (now rory, dustin, ricky, rahm and wolff). Cant be that bad for high swing speed players.......

I have done several days of driver testing on the course with both and they go the same distance on similar flushed drives, the difference has always been on my swing and ball contact, no the balls per se. I would say its very much akin to Prov1 and X, which both perform so similar with the driver. For other brands, there is a larger difference between models, but for TP5 and Prov1, the 2 respective models are super similar with the driver.

Your second paragraph is exactly what I’m saying. Variables like those you cite influence ball performance, and individual golfers produce different variables. That is why on course performance cannot be taken with a grain of salt. In the example we’re talking about the TP5 May work better with my swing and the TP5X better with yours. That’s all that matters, not what testing data shows. To bring it down to the real world, when the new TP balls came out I bought a dozen of each. I alternated playing them. Sometimes one on the odd holes, the other on the even holes. Sometimes 9 holes with one, 9 holes with the other. For me the TP5 was a few yards longer off the driver. The trajectory was more piercing. The X had a tendency to apex, then fall out of the sky. Full iron shots were a wash. My short game is based on spin and the TP5 performed better for me. Putting was a wash. Although the TP5 felt a little softer off the putter that did not translate to more putts made. By the time I finished the two dozen it was an easy decision. I didn’t need any test data. I do realize another player could repeat my process and conclude the TP5X was better for him, and we would both be right. Test data is what it is, but it gives no definitive answer to what the best ball for any golfer is, unless your swing matches the swing of the tester(s). All it can do is give an indication about which balls you might want to try.

No, quite the opposite, what you did was unscientific in nature, and you didnt control any of the variables. You also didnt use a launch monitor as well, “just my eye told me”...The results are very likely skewed because you didnt control the variables or record data. That being said, play whatever you think is best for “you” if that eases your mind, it will give you added confidence which cant be proven by a stat. I dont think people actually realize how close 90% of the balls are today, especially the high end premium balls. The differences are very minimal. You will get a bigger difference in performance from striking it 1/4 inch different than changing a ball. We as golfers want to believe all these subtle choices matter and make a difference but they really matter very little.

You’re right, I’m wrong. I didn’t conduct a randomized, blind, controlled study to determine which ball fit me. And your correct, I didn’t control the variables. I just relied on my own observations and my lyin’ eyes deceived me. Please PM me with your data so I can correct my mistake and pick the right ball for me.

• Like 1

Meh. Launch monitors are good for yardages and helpful highlighting some swing flaws for lessons, but I would not solely rely on numbers from them to determine my equipment. It’s a simulation and the calculations can be off even with top of the line launch monitors.

Balls especially will react differently in real world testing

SIM 8* Ventus Black 7x

Muira 1957 4-PW X100 120
Tour BX S