I switch between Z star and TP5 golf balls. The balls seem to perform pretty similar for me except the TP5 is about a club longer and feels much softer. I was thinking of trying out a sleeve of Titleist AVX and was wondering what pros and cons y’all had seen from that ball? I’ve seen video that it carries far, but spin numbers are quite a bit lower. I do like the idea of playing a softer compression ball.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There is a Golf Ball forum for questions like this. You might want to ask a mod move this thread there.

So TXG posted a video recently about the new AVX and how Titleist has made it have more spin from 80 yards in or so and more greenside spin. The numbers were like 500rpm less than the Titleist ProV1X. I play AVX and I was a little turned away by the little greenside spin but it is a great ball. Probably softer than a TP5

There is a Golf Ball forum for questions like this. You might want to ask a mod move this thread there.

• Like 1

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver 60S
Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 5 wood w/Aldila Rogue Black 70S
Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 Hybrid w/Aldila Kuro Kage 80S
Ping G410 irons w/Recoil 95S
Ping Glide 55/60 wedges w/Recoil 110S
Ping Anser/Arna putter - the "real deal!"

Flies lower, cuts through the wind. One of our long hitting club pros says hes 7 yards longer with his irons with the AVX. He hits a high ball hitter.

PING Rapture(OG) 10.5 driver
PING Rapture 3 wood
Cobra Pro hybrids 18 & 23
Callaway '18 MB irons
Callaway 56 SW
Cleveland Classic #2 putter

• 2 weeks later...

Really solid ball and like the TXG video - it kills the spin on irons like nothing else and I think this is the biggest selling point.

I think it feels amazing of the putter as well - actually prefer it to the Pro V1.

Driver.... meh not my favourite performance. It doesnt seem to fly off the face with the woods.

I played them last weekend in horrible conditions and it was a great ball striking day. I managed 10 GIRs in a two club wind and got through almost 17 holes before I lost one because I drove through the fairway into water (never a problem on that hole). I’m going to game them going forward due to what I saw playing in the wind. The reduced spin seemed to help miss hit shots stay online a lot better than a higher spin ball.

$21 is a great deal. I bought 24 4A for about $40 and it was worth every penny. First time purchasing balls that way and was very pleased. Highly recommend them if you don’t mind someone else’s marks on your ball.

i played the new avx yesterday, not a low handi, but def saw more hold on greens, especially when i skulled a wedge. def softer then previous, although prior gen wasnt hard at all

I really like the AVX, i know its pricey, but i like all aspects for my game....what the heck its the only hobby I have, so i can spend a bit more....landed the 2020 AVX for $37 on ebay, not too bad

• 2 weeks later...

I thought the AVX was a great ball, i really lik the finish and the tiny dimples. It looks really great. Really like the small printed text together with the small dimples and the targetting line is also very nice.

Performance wise, i also liked it a lot. The only reason i didn't choose to play it was due to the cost. If i were a serious player or in some real competition, i'd play it, but personally cannot justify the cost vs performance for regular practise and casual golf.