Help w/ Over Swing and Coming OTT

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the problem is your downswing starts with your upper body rather than your lower body. Even when I'm using an upper body cue and not thinking about my lower body, at all, I'll still instinctively shift my weight before my upper body moves.

Billy Harmon once wrote an article about something he called the "in and over swing", citing Bruce Lietzke, Craig Parry, and Craig Stadler as golfers who swing in such a fashion. The article isn't available anymore (that I can tell, anyway), but I think Ray Floyd may have also been mentioned (if not, it would be reasonable to include him). Harmon's assertion was that this swing can still be very effective as long as the clubpath is still coming from the inside.

Interestingly, despite your dissatisfaction, those balls you hit went pretty straight. It'd be interesting to see the ball flight with your driver.

Here's video called OTT from the inside -

Sad to say...very similar to the swing I've had for a long time. Been changing it this past year...which isn't easy. When I look at your and my swing two things come to mind. Let the lower body start the transition at the top - letting the arms hang back. And, the right elbow really needs to tuck in more, ala Hogan. Good luck.

Use these two drills to help you go from inside to out swing. I highly recommend using foam tubes or pool noodles to cover the pole though. You will break your shaft in half if you dont :)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APsIJ4M2oSY https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30sirWlrUCY

But lets break down whats happening in your swing.

You are doing an out to in swing path where your club face is open to your swing path but slightly square to your target line. What does this mean?

Your ball is starting straight but is going to curve to the right of your target line. This is happening because your swing path will create the left to right curve but notice where your ball starts? It starts semi straight so your club face was square to your target line BUT more open to your swing path.

Hope this helps.

I would say that you should try to take the club back more vertically and feel like you keep your back to the target as long as possible. Maybe even feel like you hit the ball with your back to the target. You won't actually do that obviously but I think it would help to get the shoulders not so active at the beginning of the downswing. As far as the over swing goes, you just need to have really strict practice where you feel like you only bring the club to left arm parallel. Again, you won't actually be that short most likely but over exaggerating things like that help a ton for me! I also really like over the top from the inside that someone suggested earlier! Malaska is the man! And Monte

Bern,

Kinda interesting that you consider my post abstract ? I don't live my life in theory and opinion and certainly don't when it comes to the golf swing. Their is more than enough of that going around without me adding to it! If you consider anything I post as being * abstract * I would certainly like for you to call me out on it .

I only believe in FACTS and TRUTHS and I don't follow the herd.

Thanks,

Lane

Bern,

Thanks for your reply. I lived the first 25 years of my golf life taking many lessons pursuing my dream of attaining a higher level of ball striking unaware that the approx. 75-80 lessons I took were mostly based on regurgitated theory and opinion handed down from the thirties, forties, fifties and still going strong today. It is presented as if Human genetics don’t even exist. That we Humans can move this over here and that over there and drive the legs and /or rotate the shoulders and perform 20 different movements during the 2/10 second allowed for the DS and all will work out.SORRY- it just doesn’t work that way. We are NOT Superhumans ! We have limitations. The brain can only sort out and perform ONE ( 1 ) task in that short period of time - and that ONE (1) task MUST be programmed before you intend to perform it. If you don’t have a basic understanding about Human Genetics , IMO, you will never improve.

Forgive me for being a little testy. I never want to post theory or opinion- only supportable facts. And those FACTS are based 100 % on Human Genetics.

Hope to hear from you again,

Lane

Thomas,

You are correct . It amazes me that players actually pay money for those. They do lots of damage. If he would align that stick so it was pointed in the direction of your illustration and use it to bring the club face over it in that direction it would have some benefit.

Golfers are obsessed with *** SQUARE *** . That the face must come into the back of the ball with everything *** SQUARE ***. That the face should be facing the target 6-12 inches before impact and continue facing 6- 12 inches down the line after which is utter nonsense. Even some of the great ball strikers think they do that. Maybe you can convince Tickel to use your illustration . It would definitely help him.

IMO, it iS impossible to teach the golf swing by explaining what you feel when you ONLY **** FELT *** what happened 2/10 seconds earlier. Many have written books and tried valiantly, but failed. One Man figured it out !

Lane

HI, from the video angle 1) it looks like the face is shut in your take away. Check your right hand grip. It may be too much under the club. When the ball still goes straight it most likely is because into impact your pushing your hands forward - not a critism at all since some very good players do this, if you can do this consistently. and 2) at the top, the clubface looks closed. The face is pointing more skyward. A line drawn from the left forearm should be parallel to the leading edge, to be square and 3) try positioning your right foot perpendicular to the target line to help restrict your longer backswing length ( left foot s/b drawn back an inch or so and flared out approx. 30° to help turn through and 4) to stop coming over the top, everything moves coming down, not just your hands.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oawzOvLNupk

You have a very good golf swing. Hope this helps a bit

M60