Off season golf

ShortStick

This has been an amazing winter for golf in southern New England. I’ve been able to play almost every other week. This weekend it was in the high 40’s and the open courses were packed!

Each of the four courses in my winter rotation have a few things in common:

Use real greens - no temps. I really prefer hitting into real targets. It’s not that the greens putt great, some are slow and some downhill putts roll forever, but golf has to have a short game even in February.Play at around 6000-6200 yards. Seriously the ball doesn’t move when it’s chilly. I find I’m losing 10% distance on my scoring clubs and more than 15% on my driver/long clubs. No interest in playing the tips when it’s cold.Price of $25-$30 for a walking 18. Not working on my game in the winter, not posting scores, no need to pay a ton.I don’t keep score. It is way more fun to remember good shots and a pleasant afternoon with friends. I enjoy the game just fine without having to get po’d over blowup holes or missed putts.I live in South County, Rhode Island. The courses I play, in order of appeal, are:

Shennecossett, Groton, Ct. A bit of a drive gets me to a really fun Donald Ross track. It is very wide open without any tall fescues this time of year, but the greens are super fun. It features a few holes (15-17) with views of the ocean out towards Long Island which Is pretty cool. The best stretch of holes are 3 thru 6. The 4th is a long par 3 with the green perched atop a hill. Neat views of silhouetted golfers! Only downside, other than every other golfer is there, is that the par tees are all temps and play too short. I move back and make my own tee in the rough at a distance I prefer (didn’t ask permission, but I am not messing up their closed tee boxes either).Triggs, Providence. WRXers have talked about the layout and they are spot on. Super solid Ross. I almost put this as #1. Funny enough the course plays long this time of year with the first 3 holes all playing over 400 followed by a par 3 that plays about 200. Quick warm-up :). My favorite is #5 - a short par 4. Lots of room to the left, but then bunkers and distance control for the approach back to the right get your attention. I hit driver at the edge of the tree on the right to get a trouble-free wedge into the green (hitting an iron off the tee gets me a downhill lie that I’d rather avoid). Hole number 15 has a funky tee shot from the back - I now move to the middle tee to give myself a reasonable line.North Kingstown, NK. Enough good holes out there even though it is not the prettiest course in the world (winds through an industrial park, but has a couple of holes on the water and next to an Air Force base). My favorite hole is #7, a long par 5 with a classic green complex. Holes 12-15 are scenic in an odd way - to the left is where new cars are unloaded off of massive ship carriers for distribution to NE; to the right is an active AFB where I have seen all sorts of planes landing/taking off; in the middle is Narragansett Bay. Really cool. A bit of an easy finish with 17 and 18 which lets me leave in good spirits.Beaver River, West Kingston, RI. Believe it or not, this is a mountain course in the middle of RI. My RunKeeper app told me it was over 300 feet from the parking lot up to the 5th tee. If they named their golf holes, the #4 must be called “Coronary City”. A cart is a good idea here. There is a lot of local knowledge needed here and more than a few funky holes, which for me makes it a course I play when all else falls through. I will say that 15 from the closed back tees Is a terrific long par 3 - best hole on the course! The hole before Is also a fine short par 4 - nicely placed green with a backstop to spin wedges. Please be careful on #9 - black diamond steep and way too easy to get hurt if you slip. Dumbest hole I have seen in a long time.I do not play Montaup in Portsmouth near the MA border because it is too far away For me. I love the course though, so 100% recommend if the east side of the bay near rt 395 is appealing to you. Terrific greens. I think they charge about $40. I also do not play Newport National in Middletown as their greens fees are way too much for off season golf. Meadowbrook, Exeter, and Cranston are all still closed for the season.

that’s it for me for RI and eastern CT options. No idea about the cape.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Going on a bachelor weekend at the end of March and Triggs is on our list to do, so we are hoping for some decent weather to be able to get out onto the course!! Any tips for a first-timer?

TaylorMade SIM2 9 deg - HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 6.5

TaylorMade SIM2 Ti 3W - Tensei Blue

TaylorMade SIM2 5W - Fujikura Ventus Blue 6R

TaylorMade SIM Rescue 3H - Fujikura Ventus Blue 5R

TaylorMade SIM Rescue 4H - Fujikura Ventus Blue 5R

Mizuno JPX 919 Forged 5-PW - KBS Tour 90s

TaylorMade ATV Grind Wedge - 52 deg / 60 deg

Odyssey Stroke Lab 7 - Custom Black / Red

TaylorMade TP5

First time bachelor party? Try to survive and don’t post any pictures until the next morning! You’ll have a blast.

Triggs? Old style course where everything is right in front of you. Mounds are your friends - they frame holes and tell you where to go. Ditto for most of the fairway bunkers. Take extra club on the uphill upwind par 3’s as Ross gives you lots of room to be long; less friendly if you underclub. Have fun as the course is fair and you will always have some type of recovery shot if you go sideways.

Lots of great restaurants in Providence. Give Los Andes a try for something different. Pizza J on Westminster St has a bunch of well maintained pinball machines for more competition.

• 2 weeks later...

Bay point in Warham is open and in good shape. Marion Golf Club, small 9 hole course is always open, but can be very wet. The old guy's who live near there wear hiking boots!! The Reservation in Mattapoisett is open to the public during the winter. Nice little 9 hole course, good bar crowed afterwards with cheep drinks. Old Scotland Links in Bridgewater is a good track, but they book up fast on the weekends.