Quick Oahu Golf Trip Review

bird206

Played Ko Olina twice. Fairways and Greens playing in great condition. 1st round in heavy wind made distances a little difficult to judge. A knock down under the wind shot would work good. 2nd round was no wind and scoring was much easier. Nice resort course. They have multiple round special price packages for out of towners.

Played Ewa Beach. A little similar to Ko Olina but more narrow in the fairways and wind was even more intense. The hole placements on the greens made it difficult to score. Nice course with great conditions.

Ko'Olau Golf Course. One round and that was enough. Everything what I read in the review of this course was almost spot on. The conditions of the course weren't the greatest. They basically almost let the native grass just grow. Difficult course? Yes. A lot of forced carries which made you think off the tee a little bit more. Glad I played it once but wouldn't play it again. I would recommend anybody who likes playing unique weird courses to play here. The landscape is crazy with the course right smack dab in the jungle and the big mountains hovering over you. Not my favorite course but most memorable.

Next time, I would like to play Ala Wai for the experience (I've already heard about it's shortcomings, just want to experience it) and Ka Huku for the experience as well.

• 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Its too bad about Ko'Olau. I watched a Zac Radford youtube video when he played in recently and it looks so primeval compared to when I played in 2006. I remember the crab grass stuff back them, but mostly in the rough. And it is nice and lush green but strong enough to support a ball, so its not the worst stuff to hit out of. Definitely is a memorable round, played it with my dad riding along and had a shot at breaking 80 from the tips. Rain started on 17 and bogey'd 18, missing an 11footer in rain to show 80 on the nose.

I also got to play the Kaneohe Clipper which is on the military base. An amazing hole along the north shore beach, but the rest of the course was just ok. I stayed at Ko'Olina but there was a tournament and I couldn't get on. Also went to play at Hickam AFB but was told a few "4-stars" had it booked solid.

• Like 2

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

• 2 weeks later...

Hoping someone can chime in, as I've got a trip coming up in 3 weeks.

Gonna be me (1 hcp) and my buddy, who is probably a 20+ capper. We're targeting two rounds, both on Oahu as island hopping is prohibitive with the current regulations. I've kind of narrowed down to 3 courses: Ko'Olina, Hawaii Prince and Royal Hawaiian. Those three are a little on the pricey side, which I'm fine with, but are there any options that are either great plays or great values at lower pricepoints? I haven't been to Hawaii in 18+ years and this is the first time I'll be booking the courses.

Also, does anyone have experience with Hawaii Golf Club Rentals in the Waikiki area?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Titleist TS4 9.5* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TX
Callaway Epic SubZero 13.5* - Fujikura Motore Speeded TS 6.3X
TaylorMade SLDR 2h 17* - Fujikura Pro 83h X
Sub 70 699 ProU 3i 19* - Aerotech Steelfiber 110 X

Sub70 699 5-7i, 699 Pro 8-P - Aerotech Steelfiber 110 X
Maltby Max Milled Wedges .900" - 50* & 56*
Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 64*
Bettinardi Queen B #8
Titleist AVX Yellow (Summer) / Srixon Q-Star Tour Yellow (Winter)
Born in the USA, Made in Detroit, Grinding in San Diego

On 2/6/2021 at 6:35 PM, spartan6910 said:

Hoping someone can chime in, as I've got a trip coming up in 3 weeks.

Gonna be me (1 hcp) and my buddy, who is probably a 20+ capper. We're targeting two rounds, both on Oahu as island hopping is prohibitive with the current regulations. I've kind of narrowed down to 3 courses: Ko'Olina, Hawaii Prince and Royal Hawaiian. Those three are a little on the pricey side, which I'm fine with, but are there any options that are either great plays or great values at lower pricepoints? I haven't been to Hawaii in 18+ years and this is the first time I'll be booking the courses.

Also, does anyone have experience with Hawaii Golf Club Rentals in the Waikiki area?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Those are 3 good choices to me especially if you haven't been there in 18+ years.

Someone that I know rented clubs from them a year ago before COVID and they liked the clubs that they rented of course their own clubs were TM so it wasn't an issue.

I think that they rent either TM or Callaway clubs but I'm not 100% sure.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just want to chime in after my trip for a recap: Ended up only doing 1 round due to the weather and time constraints. We played Ko Olina and wow were we blown away. Quite literally. It was one of the windiest days I've ever played in, but a crisp 78 degrees and nothing but sun. Despite the wind, I played respectably and my buddy shot his second best round ever. Hard to ask for more. 

The course was in great shape and we played at a pretty decent clip despite the near-3-club wind. I expected a lot more people to be all over the course.

Didn't rent from the Waikiki shop, but the rentals at Ko Olina were superb - SIM D, 3w (which the even allowed me to adjust - a must for me) and 790s. Wedges were MG2, which honestly I would have preferred the Hi-Toes that came with my buddy's SIM iron set, but still good. 

Definitely want to get back there on a calmer day. Fantastic course.

Titleist TS4 9.5* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TX
Callaway Epic SubZero 13.5* - Fujikura Motore Speeded TS 6.3X
TaylorMade SLDR 2h 17* - Fujikura Pro 83h X
Sub 70 699 ProU 3i 19* - Aerotech Steelfiber 110 X

Sub70 699 5-7i, 699 Pro 8-P - Aerotech Steelfiber 110 X
Maltby Max Milled Wedges .900" - 50* & 56*
Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 64*
Bettinardi Queen B #8
Titleist AVX Yellow (Summer) / Srixon Q-Star Tour Yellow (Winter)
Born in the USA, Made in Detroit, Grinding in San Diego

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I played at Turtle Bay (Palmer).  I liked it a lot.  It seems wide open but you gotta place balls in the right places for better score.  Unfortunately, it is drought like dry in North Shore.  So the course looked like Ko Olina.  But still nice to play.  

Ko Olina for me was the typical resort course.  Not too hard, not too easy. I was recommended by a local that Kapolei is another good course.

From my experience, Royal Hawaiian is A-Must.  No other place like that.  

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

If I go to Honolulu in June, and am staying in Honolulu, considering playing Wailae Club.  Any reason to play it over Royal Hawaiian.  Played Turtle Bay before and likely won't be able to make the trip again this time.  I think I can get on Wailae Club through resort where we are staying.  Is it worth it?  I know the pros play there and it's a Seth Raynor design (although it's be re-worked with hotel there now, and Doak has done recent work).

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

On 12/6/2021 at 1:57 PM, geochitown said:

If I go to Honolulu in June, and am staying in Honolulu, considering playing Wailae Club.  Any reason to play it over Royal Hawaiian.  Played Turtle Bay before and likely won't be able to make the trip again this time.  I think I can get on Wailae Club through resort where we are staying.  Is it worth it?  I know the pros play there and it's a Seth Raynor design (although it's be re-worked with hotel there now, and Doak has done recent work).

Isn't it a private club?  What resort are you referring to?  I think Royal Hawaiian Hotel has the access.

The Kahala Hotel & Resort.

I will reach out to them and ask directly, but I think they may be able to arrange access.

2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

On 6/15/2021 at 12:28 AM, 95124hacker said:

No mention of Turtle Bay (Palmer)? Go north from Waikiki & get some garlic shrimp & shave ice while you’re there.

Yummy on that garlic shrimp at north shore! When I was in Oahu couple years ago, I was lucky to have a good friend that works for military that I was able to play at Navy Marine and Kanehoe Klipper with him. I prefer Navy Marine course, greens were super slick when I played there. I didn't have time to play other courses though.

Garlic shrimp on bottom, lemon butter on top. Giovanni's Shrimp Truck.

IMG_5136.jpeg.5dde8bd7bd668d434ebc4de0e1e023ad.jpeg

Edited by br61
  • Like 4

63 yr old's Bag of Hacking Utensils

TM Stealth 10.5, GD XC-6 stiff

TM Qi10 3HL GD DI-7 stiff

TM SIM2 Rescue 19* & 23*

TM P770 5-PW, DG120 S300

TM MG4 52* & 58*

Odyssey DART 47"

I called the Kahala and they do have access to Wailae.

Need a minimum of two players at this point 

TM TP5x

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/6/2021 at 11:57 AM, geochitown said:

If you have to chose between Waialae and Royal Hawaiian, I'd take Royal Hawaiian. Waialae is nice and very exclusive and the Sony Open is held there but other than that I didn't find it special. Royal Hawaiian is unlike any other course. The front 9 is special and similar to Ko'olau G.C. which has been closed. Jungle golf is something to experience at least once. Feels like your golfing in Jurassic Park.

Best option is just make time to play both :).

• Like 1

Driver - Titleist TSi2 9* (A1) Autoflex SF505                   Frankenstein Irons:

3W - Ping G430 Tour 2.0 Chrome 75 (S)                         4i - PING i210

19* Hyb - Ping G430 Tour 2.0 Chrome 85 (S).                5i - Cobra King Tour (MIM)

Irons - 4-PW Maltby TS1 Nippon 950GH Stiff                 6i - Titleist T100

GW - Vokey SM8 50* F-grind                                           7i - Mizuno MP20 MMC

SW - Vokey SM8 54* D-grind (bent to 55)                      8i - Callaway X-Forged

LW - Vokey SM8 60* M-grind                                           9i - TaylorMade P7MC 

Putter - SeeMore PCB with LAGP SoHo                          PW - Srixon ZX-7

GW - Wilson Staff CB

7 hours ago, CUBuffaloes said:

If you have to chose between Waialae and Royal Hawaiian, I'd take Royal Hawaiian. Waialae is nice and very exclusive and the Sony Open is held there but other than that I didn't find it special. Royal Hawaiian is unlike any other course. The front 9 is special and similar to Ko'olau G.C. which has been closed. Jungle golf is something to experience at least once. Feels like your golfing in Jurassic Park.

Best option is just make time to play both :).

I wasn't aware of Ko'olau GC closing. Are there any other courses in Oahu that has closed due to pandemic? I'm going to Kauai this October and planning to stop in Honolulu to visit friends.

63 yr old's Bag of Hacking Utensils

TM Stealth 10.5, GD XC-6 stiff

TM Qi10 3HL GD DI-7 stiff

TM SIM2 Rescue 19* & 23*

TM P770 5-PW, DG120 S300

TM MG4 52* & 58*

Odyssey DART 47"

3 hours ago, br61 said:

I wasn't aware of Ko'olau GC closing. Are there any other courses in Oahu that has closed due to pandemic? I'm going to Kauai this October and planning to stop in Honolulu to visit friends.

I haven't heard of any Kauai courses closing. My brother loves on Kauai and golfs. I'll double check with him. The Sheraton Makaha (aka Makaha West) course closed awhile ago and Olomana closed for a little bit but has since re-opened.

• Like 2

Driver - Titleist TSi2 9* (A1) Autoflex SF505                   Frankenstein Irons:

3W - Ping G430 Tour 2.0 Chrome 75 (S)                         4i - PING i210

19* Hyb - Ping G430 Tour 2.0 Chrome 85 (S).                5i - Cobra King Tour (MIM)

Irons - 4-PW Maltby TS1 Nippon 950GH Stiff                 6i - Titleist T100

GW - Vokey SM8 50* F-grind                                           7i - Mizuno MP20 MMC

SW - Vokey SM8 54* D-grind (bent to 55)                      8i - Callaway X-Forged

LW - Vokey SM8 60* M-grind                                           9i - TaylorMade P7MC 

Putter - SeeMore PCB with LAGP SoHo                          PW - Srixon ZX-7

GW - Wilson Staff CB