Golf and the Coronavirus

not really sure how effective covering a mouth is when people cough...lol it's air escaping...maybe not as bad relatively...but i do hate spitting and americans do a worse job of that than other cultures coughing without covering their mouths

Ping G400 LST 8.5 Ozik F6M2/Ozik TP6HD/EVO III FUJI
Cobra LTD PRO / Graffaloy Blue
Cobra F6 Baffler  16 Atmos 7
Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5 Atmos 7
Nike Ignite 7 wood 21*
Ping iBlade 3-pw DG XP S300/Original Nike Blades 3-PW s300
RTX 3.0 50,  Ping 3.0 EYE 54, 58 
Toulon Columbus

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I bet boarding Ernie Els' plane looks a little more inviting now for some of these guys.

To h3ll with that, too! Your immune system needs practice; avoid germs and you'll have a weak immune response. If you're elderly, have compromised immune system, or chronic respiratory illness...yea

Lol, subway seems very relaxed to me. Then again, I ride it twice a day. If you don't ride it a lot, I can see how you'd think it was tense ; ) I'm surprised more people arent wearing those face mask

The LPGA events in Thailand, Singapore and China were cancelled so there's a lengthy break until the US tournaments kick in in March. The Asia Pacific Amateur Championship which was supposed to be in Thailand has been rescheduled to the autumn. The KLPGA event in Taiwan has been cancelled.

There isn't much info about the Asian Tour but they are supposed to return to SE and South Asia after New Zealand so some decisions will have to be made by the tour. The European Tour will also have stops in Qatar, Kenia and India so some decisions will have to be made about those. There's also a good chance that many players will withdraw if the tournaments are held but we just have to wait and see.

The cycling Tour of Dubai has been cancelled mid-race once two Italian riders tested positive on the virus. The UAE health authorities, meanwhile, are coming up with reassuring statements that they are prepared and can handle the situation as/if it emerges. I'm about to head to Abu Dhabi for a month so I am paying attention to the situation there but not planning to panic and bunker myself home.

Cobra Speedzone 10.5 Aldila Rogue Silver
Cobra Speedzone 18.5 Aldila Rogue Silver
Callaway Apex UT 18, Recoil 95
Callaway Apex Pro 3i, Recoil 95
Callaway Apex Pro 4-9,P Recoil 110
Callaway MD4 54, 58
Ping Sigma G Kinloch C

This x 1,000,000. Likely you may get a cold. If you’re 90 you may get pneumonia and die...from this and a lot other stuff.

TaylorMade SIM, 9*, MRC Tensei Pro White - 70TX
TaylorMade SIM TI, 15*, MRC Tensei Pro White - 80TX
Callaway UT 3i, PX 6.0
TaylorMade P7-TW, 4i-PW, DGTI X100
Callaway Jaws MD5 raw 52S, 56S, 60T, DG TI S400
Piretti GOAT
TayloreMade TP5

First time on the subway?

No. Born and raised in NYC...52 years. In my lifetime, the subway has gone from bad to worse to sometimes unusable for various reasons.

Not sure about all the statistics on the virus but I do know that if the stock market keeps steady on this trend, the repercussions could be even deadlier than the virus! Hopefully a temporary correction.

People can all pretend like it's nothing, sure, but look what happened in China. If it wasn't contained, a lot more people would have died, and in a shorter time than the flu season lasts. Italy had to learn it the hard way. I hope the US will deal with it better and no more hot spots show up.

Callaway Epic SZ Driver 9
TM Aeroburner TP 3 wood
3H (19), 4H (22) Aeroburner TP
Mizuno MP-15 5 iron, Project X LZ 6.5
Mizuno MP-5 6-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
Wedges Mizuno T7 50, 56, 60
Scotty Phantom X6 STR

Public events with more than a 1000 spectators are now forbidden in Switzerland until the 15th of March. Maybe we see golf tournaments without spectators in the near future?

Callaway Mavrik SZ Triple Diamond 9° w/ Fuji Motore Speeder VC 6.2 Tour Spec X-Flex
Taylormade SIM 19° set to 17.5° w/ Graphite Design Tour AD DI 9X
Titleist U510 2 Iron 18° w/ PX 6.0
Titleist 680 MB 3-PW w/ DG X100
TaylorMade MG2 TW 56°, 60° w/ DGS400
Odyssey White Hot Tour 7H 33"

if this continues for another 2-3 weeks...you won't care about impact to golf

Ping G400 LST 8.5 Ozik F6M2/Ozik TP6HD/EVO III FUJI
Cobra LTD PRO / Graffaloy Blue
Cobra F6 Baffler  16 Atmos 7
Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5 Atmos 7
Nike Ignite 7 wood 21*
Ping iBlade 3-pw DG XP S300/Original Nike Blades 3-PW s300
RTX 3.0 50,  Ping 3.0 EYE 54, 58 
Toulon Columbus

If you think "washing your hands" was the issue during the Dark Ages, you might want to brush back up on your history. We have these things now called "indoor plumbing", "rodent control", and "medical science" that were absent in the Dark Ages; i.e. our streets are not running with human and animal waste in most modern cities and suburbs today.

I'm not advocating that you should defecate on your hands and rub it in open wounds; I'm simply (in hyperbolic terms, perhaps) saying that being a germaphobe and trying to destroy every bacterium and virus in which you come into contact is not the path to a healthy, successful immune system.

The 4th largest infected population by region is a cruise ship.

• Like 1

Taylormade M3 440 10* Tensei White Pro 60TX
Taylormade M2 Tour 16.5* Atmos Blue 7x
Taylormade M2 L.I.F.T. 2 KBS Hybrid Proto 85x
Miura CB57 Nippon SPB X
Vokey CF 52F/56M/60M S400 Onyx
Cameron Cami & Co Newport Beach 34/350

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/80141-ckays-witb-duw-update-on-pg-3/page__st__60__p__7710766__hl__+ckay#entry7710766"]WITB Link[/url]

This virus is not the flu. The R0 is between 2 to 3x as contagious as the flu with what appears to be a mortality rate higher than that. Don’t compare it to the flu. This is similar to SARS but somehow it morphed at whatever it is that attaches to human cells is between 100 - 100x stronger. Also there are drugs that can be used on the flu and the flu does not attack your heart and kidneys also

As for coughing, it is not the air escaping your mouth it is the microscopic droplets that you have to worry about. For covering a cough the most effective way is to cough into a tissue or the crook of your elbow. In hospitals there are generally either respiratory or droplet precautions, the problem with this is there is mixed information on which is the correct precaution. Now the general public is wearing a mask for the wrong reasons, those infected are the ones who should be wearing masks.

sorry but this is a big deal to me, am I freaking out, no BUT I am very cautious. I have a 7 yr old son who has a kidney transplant and is immunocompromised, last year he had the standard coronavirus and it took him 7 weeks to get rid of the cough. If he catches it we are looking at a lengthy hospital stay. People not taking this seriously falls into the same category as anti-vaxxers, it takes everyone being safe to help the others.

Wish you and your son much luck in staying healthy. I am with you and don't think this is the flu. However, as some have objectively noted if you are in good health the chances of something bad happening appear to be much lower and possibly on par with other everyday hazards of life. For the old and those with pre-existing complications, it is a more serious issue.

In Asia, this has been a fairly big deal for over a month now. The rest of the world appears to be waking up now. We will see whether it passes without much actual damage or if it is a big deal.

I wonder how many people are going to panic and take their money out of the stock market only to be unprepared for when the stock market goes back up. The economy is a good economy right now and hopefully people won't panic and pull their money out of the stock market and try to time it to get back in. It never seems to work out well when amateurs try to time the stock market. Maybe the coronavirus is much more dangerous than the flu and comparisons aren't necessarily proper, but I still believe that the flu has killed exponentially more than the Coronavirus ever has and ever will. Panic is the worst thing common sense is the best thing.

Same with me. I am not concerned for myself. I do however visit my mother who is a kidney transplantee 3xs a week. I could be interacting with someone who is a 2nd generation carrier, has no history of travel, and has not yet exhibited symptoms (incubation takes awhile).

You bet I am more than cautious. I use disinfectant every hour.

I pray none of us becomes that healthy carrier who passes it to someone going home to a 2 year old with lung issues at home.

Plus I am in SE Asia

Sorry to be a downer or the argumentative guy. Just the herd mentality in terms of health is important to my family and I and I believe it is hard for people to look past themselves and see how it effects everyone around us. I hope everyone is safe and no one gets sick. Honestly, I also don’t want anyone or any family to go through what we and/or some of our kidney family friends go through. We are lucky that he has some immune system because the kidney he received is from my wife so there is some familiarity. Everything from bi-weekly to monthly blood draws his whole life, over 10 surgeries, multiple week long hospital stays and ER trips almost every fever. Yet the kid loves life as much as anyone I know.

We can all pitch in to take care of each other in many ways, I just hope it helps someone or opens someone’s eyes.

• Like 1

Perhaps I can offer my two cents. Or two yen, as I live in Kyoto, Japan. I teach English to a lot of medical professionals, university professors and researchers. People are concerned. It's not the flu. The first month here was an absolute fiasco with the botched Diamond Princess Cruise and not closing the doors to China completely. We'd likely have far fewer cases and virtually the same economic damage.

The fatality rate is hard to judge. I would look at the cruise ship. It seems to be the only non-politicized sub-group. The number of fatalities that will come from the 700 or so who were infected will tell a lot. It's still pretty early though. And, there weren't any children (that I know of) to know how it will impact them. I am a father of two children under 3 years old, so a virus of unknown origin, with so many other unknowns is nightmare fuel.

I took a trip to Hawaii about two weeks ago and my father in-law joked that maybe we wouldn't be allowed back in Japan. And, the way things are trending, we just missed that happening. Everything around me is closed the next few weeks, at the very least - schools, clubs, activities. One of the folks who they let off the cruise ship went to his local sports gym and passed on the corona-virus to at least two others, I just read. I stopped going to my local gym before Hawaii. But, a lot of people have gone about their business like this isn't a thing - and that is a problem. I am glad businesses are "voluntarily" closing here. It will go a long way to seeing this outbreak slow down because left to their own, people will continue to make stupid decisions. The Olympics hangs in the balance - a lot of people here suspect it won't go off if things continue. I think that's one reason PM Abe has taken big steps in the last few days, but I think it is more than that.

For three years I lived in the city in South Korea that has seen around a 2000 cases (maybe more now) as a result of a woman from a Psuedo-Christian cult not heeding the advice of doctors and going for a test. She took in a few more crowded services and a buffet, spreading the virus to hundreds of people. The folks there are on virtual lock down now. I've message a few people I know, who are still there. They are taking things in stride, from what I can tell. There haven't been any dramatic shortages, just the same as in Japan - disinfectant alcohol, masks, toilet paper.

When I got back from Hawaii with my wife, I was pretty on edge. I didn't sleep very well and I didn't have any appetite knowing I would be teaching, my wife would be working at her families restaurant and our kids would be at nursery school and seeing the news develop in different corners of the world. We went out the first chance we had and got emergency supplies. I do not want to be in line for anything, anywhere, anytime. I did a few checks on Amazon for nebulizers. I've thought about what could happen if the health care system here should become inundated like the systems in China. In that case, the last place you want to be is a hospital. And, even if you needed one there might not be one. On Friday, my coworkers and I found out we'd be closing for two weeks (though I feel like, it could be more than that). It felt like a prayer being answered. I could pull my kids out of nursery school for at least two weeks. And, we'll cross our fingers things improve.

I suspect the numbers out of Japan are not entirely truthful. We've seen just two cases in our city and in Osaka there have been a few more, but it's anyone's guess. Kyoto is a notoriously tight-knit place, so I also feel like if something were really amiss I would have heard something. I feel blessed that, through certain connections I haven't been without anything and I have felt face mask-envy from more than a few people.

I am currently on a two week stay-cation. I live dead in the heart of one of the iconic Japanese locations for tourism on the edge of Kyoto. I shouldn't say, but it is pleasant without the tourists. For the last few years I've wished to see just a few less. I've wanted to live in Japan, not some amusement park for rich Chinese and Westerners. Maybe this situation will bring some serious reflection on what kind of place we want to live. For years, I've said that Chinese tourism could disappear as quickly as it's come and businesses that are built around it are bound to suffer eventually. And, it has almost completely stopped now.

I raked my bermuda grass putting green today, I pulled a few hundred little weeds, I'd been to busy to get at and I'll probably go get some sand and fertilizer next Monday. I'll probably go up to my local driving range tomorrow to release a little tension, too.

I hope, wherever you are, you'll be careful the next few weeks.

• Like 1

It's not the flu. It's not even falling off of ladders.

It's far less deadly.

Callaway XR16 SubZero Aldila Rogue I/O 70X
TM V-Steel 4wd Protopype 80X
Callaway UT 18* KBS C-Taper X
Titleist 818 H2 21*
Callaway Apex MB 4-PW KBS C-Taper X
Vokey SM7 52* F
Vokey SM7 58* D
Sizemore XB-1

The market? It was priced for perfection. Outside of any death toll, earnings (what stock prices are based on) are being hit. Apple and Microsoft warned. So, it's no surprise the market gets priced lower. The Fed cut happened, not sure what the market makes of this.

If, as many people here think, this is all nothing, why cut? And it's the *biggest single cut since the financial meltdown in 2009.

New case in NYC. An attorney who works in NYC and commutes from suburban Westchester is in the hospital. No travel, no idea how he got it. Seems possible, maybe likely, he got it for someone who has it and doesn't know it, on the train or in his office. There's millions working in NYC together in offices and on the train. And, guess what, thousands of business people travel to NYC every day then hop on a plane back to their state.

It's not going to kill everybody but we could very well have a pandemic. This is the Presiden'ts guy....

"A doctor on the front lines of battling coronavirus in the US said this week that the rapid spread of the deadly bug has risen to the level of an “outbreak” — and possibly even a “pandemic.”

Top US doctor says coronavirus now an ‘outbreak,’ possibly a ‘pandemic’

Here is an ER Doctor in Washington DCs take...

"I will likely become infected in the next few months. It's just simple math that I have accepted. But I became a physician knowing the job incurred risk and that I have a duty to patients and society. "

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/03/opinions/im-an-emergency-doctor-i-expect-to-get-coronavirus-phillips/index.html

I'm not saying all this to be like, "the sky is falling" but the caution is for a reason. China slowed the virus by shutting down everything. That's not going to happen here, not now anyway, so this will have to work its way out on it's own.