On 11/27/2020 at 11:37 PM, dpt23 said:

Hi all - came across this post and had similar questions. I just moved to the DC area in September (Logan Circle area) and my wife just started a business in the Silver Spring Maryland area so we'll be in the area for the considerable future. I'm looking for a junior membership primarily for golf ideally, young group of golfers in club, and would like to be under a 20- 25 minute commute (lived in Chicago prior and was 30 minutes to my old club from city so willing to drive). I've done a little research on clubs(mostly Maryland) and wanted to make sure I'm on the right track.

Congressional - 10 year waitlist, big downstroke($$$$$)

Chevy Chase - 10 year waitlist, big downstroke ($$$$$)

Army Navy - closest(15-20 min), Trial membership available, heavy downstroke for civilian($$$$), reasonable due structure, 2 separate course

Kenwood - 20-25 min away, low food and bev min, reasonable dues, large downstroke ($$$), unsure course 

TPC Potomac - 25 min away, seems like best bang for your buck (have not called to get actual figures), really good practice facilities

Bethesda - 25-30 min away, no real other information otherwise

Belle Haven - 25-30 min away, seems like best course in Alexandria area

Appreciate all your help, looking forward to playing some golf soon!

Army / Navy does have a good 6 month trial membership so you can see if the club works for you before committing and paying the initiation fee.  They also have 54 holes (27 in Arlington & 27 in Fairfax) so there is some good variety for a country club.  I'm a member at Army / Navy so feel free to message me if you'd like more information.  

• Like 3
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Army / Navy does have a good 6 month trial membership so you can see if the club works for you before committing and paying the initiation fee.  They also have 54 holes (27 in Arlington & 27 in Fa

Non-military are able to join, though they will pay the highest initiation fees. Last I recall, there is a trial membership; not sure what the length is, but it allows you to pay monthly dues only bef

Hi all - came across this post and had similar questions. I just moved to the DC area in September (Logan Circle area) and my wife just started a business in the Silver Spring Maryland area so we'll b

On 11/27/2020 at 11:37 PM, dpt23 said:

Hi all - came across this post and had similar questions. I just moved to the DC area in September (Logan Circle area) and my wife just started a business in the Silver Spring Maryland area so we'll be in the area for the considerable future. I'm looking for a junior membership primarily for golf ideally, young group of golfers in club, and would like to be under a 20- 25 minute commute (lived in Chicago prior and was 30 minutes to my old club from city so willing to drive). I've done a little research on clubs(mostly Maryland) and wanted to make sure I'm on the right track.

Congressional - 10 year waitlist, big downstroke($$$$$)

Chevy Chase - 10 year waitlist, big downstroke ($$$$$)

Army Navy - closest(15-20 min), Trial membership available, heavy downstroke for civilian($$$$), reasonable due structure, 2 separate course

Kenwood - 20-25 min away, low food and bev min, reasonable dues, large downstroke ($$$), unsure course 

TPC Potomac - 25 min away, seems like best bang for your buck (have not called to get actual figures), really good practice facilities

Bethesda - 25-30 min away, no real other information otherwise

Belle Haven - 25-30 min away, seems like best course in Alexandria area

Appreciate all your help, looking forward to playing some golf soon!

Have you actually inquired about membership at some of these clubs?

My understanding is that the “waitlist” is not really true at many places and it’s all about connections/ability to write a check (Chevy Chase and Washington GC being the exception - still about connections but high demand).  Also, have you looked at Columbia CC?  I have a friend from b-school who is a member there and don’t believe it’s hard to join (although expensive).

Edited by burnsniper
  • 2 weeks later...

Also just moved to the DC area and looking at private places. I am in Navy Yard. Seems like Belle Haven and Army Navy would be best for me commute-wise, but it seems like they're both a bit expensive.

TPC Potomac is really attractive, but I feel like it's just slightly out of my price range. It's tough.

Callaway Mavrik Max 10.5* Driver
TaylorMade 2007 Burner 18* Fairway Wood
Titleist 816H1 23* Hybrid
Callaway Apex 19 Smoke Irons 5-PW
Callaway MD5 Jaws Wedges 50* 54* 58*
Callaway PM Grind 19 64* Wedge
Titleist Scotty Cameron California Series Fastback

3 minutes ago, coozapalooza said:

Also just moved to the DC area and looking at private places. I am in Navy Yard. Seems like Belle Haven and Army Navy would be best for me commute-wise, but it seems like they're both a bit expensive.

TPC Potomac is really attractive, but I feel like it's just slightly out of my price range. It's tough.

I recently joined Woodmore CC and commute from Arlington and it’s really not that bad and wouldn’t be from navy yard. 

They have a good deal going on now, and without knowing your age the junior exec is a great deal and the course is in pretty good shape. 

In this area getting anywhere it’s 15-20 minutes and it’s about 35 for me to woodmore and it goes faster than you think. 

7 minutes ago, coozapalooza said:

For Army / Navy, If you're under 35 or military or a civilian working in national security, then there are deals available.  The club also has 54 holes (27 in Arlington & 27 in Fairfax).  PM me if you'd like more info on Army / Navy.

3 minutes ago, lawlgolf2278 said:

I recently joined Woodmore CC and commute from Arlington and it’s really not that bad and wouldn’t be from navy yard. 

They have a good deal going on now, and without knowing your age the junior exec is a great deal and the course is in pretty good shape. 

In this area getting anywhere it’s 15-20 minutes and it’s about 35 for me to woodmore and it goes faster than you think. 

Funny you should say that...I should've mentioned, I actually visited Woodmore and got a tour and played 9 holes. I was blown away by the hospitality shown and really liked the GM's vision for the place, though I thought the conditions were...not great. It's hard to tell if that was because it was late November, or if they're just not usually great. That being said, I did think it was very affordable, and I am still considering joining. I don't mind a ride of 25min or so. 

That being said, I've heard mixed things about the competitiveness with which you can get tee times, which is important to me. I want to be able to play at some point in the early morning (7:30-9am ideally) on weekends in the summer, which I know is a big ask some places.

1 minute ago, ALTSean said:

For Army / Navy, If you're under 35 or military or a civilian working in national security, then there are deals available.  The club also has 54 holes (27 in Arlington & 27 in Fairfax).  PM me if you'd like more info on Army / Navy.

Interesting...I am 29, but I have never been enlisted and I work for the District government, so not a lot of love for us there. The price I heard being floated around for Army Navy wasn't even within the realm of possibility for me, but if they can get creative with it, I might be able to make it work.

1 minute ago, coozapalooza said:

Funny you should say that...I should've mentioned, I actually visited Woodmore and got a tour and played 9 holes. I was blown away by the hospitality shown and really liked the GM's vision for the place, though I thought the conditions were...not great. It's hard to tell if that was because it was late November, or if they're just not usually great. That being said, I did think it was very affordable, and I am still considering joining. I don't mind a ride of 25min or so. 

That being said, I've heard mixed things about the competitiveness with which you can get tee times, which is important to me. I want to be able to play at some point in the early morning (7:30-9am ideally) on weekends in the summer, which I know is a big ask some places.

They are doing a lot of work right now with irrigation and putting in new paths, and they did recently punch the greens and the fairways probably like mid November and it’s taking a bit to come back, but with that said, in this area with the munis and paying $60 for East Potomac, having anything green and fast-ish greens is amazing. 

For a single I don’t think you’d have a problem, I’ve been able to get tee times for four people pretty often and they do a great job day of adding people to groups if you can’t get a tee time. I haven’t been a member in the summer, but I think if you get in right away when the tee times open you’ll be good. 

I also know if you have a referral the prices can be different so feel free to pm me if you want my information to put down. They don’t offer any discounts if you refer someone. 

as to your comment about ANC. I got information before I joined woodmore. For non government and non military’s it’s 75 initiation fee with 22 or so upfront snd then the rest over 3 or 4 years and monthly was 450 or so. Their trial membership is like 800 a month. 

8 minutes ago, lawlgolf2278 said:

They are doing a lot of work right now with irrigation and putting in new paths, and they did recently punch the greens and the fairways probably like mid November and it’s taking a bit to come back, but with that said, in this area with the munis and paying $60 for East Potomac, having anything green and fast-ish greens is amazing. 

For a single I don’t think you’d have a problem, I’ve been able to get tee times for four people pretty often and they do a great job day of adding people to groups if you can’t get a tee time. I haven’t been a member in the summer, but I think if you get in right away when the tee times open you’ll be good. 

I also know if you have a referral the prices can be different so feel free to pm me if you want my information to put down. They don’t offer any discounts if you refer someone. 

as to your comment about ANC. I got information before I joined woodmore. For non government and non military’s it’s 75 initiation fee with 22 or so upfront snd then the rest over 3 or 4 years and monthly was 450 or so. Their trial membership is like 800 a month. 

You're definitely preaching to the choir there. This was kind of my thinking - if I am going to struggle to get tee times at public courses and have to pay $60-75 at a minimum per round anyway, if I am going to be someone who plays 4+ times per month in the spring and summer, maybe I'd be better off joining a club regardless.

I am new to the area and while Woodmore was the first place I looked, I am not sure how many other places would be right for me price and location wise. So while it feels weird signing at the first place I looked, maybe I ought to really consider it.

4 minutes ago, coozapalooza said:

You're definitely preaching to the choir there. This was kind of my thinking - if I am going to struggle to get tee times at public courses and have to pay $60-75 at a minimum per round anyway, if I am going to be someone who plays 4+ times per month in the spring and summer, maybe I'd be better off joining a club regardless.

I am new to the area and while Woodmore was the first place I looked, I am not sure how many other places would be right for me price and location wise. So while it feels weird signing at the first place I looked, maybe I ought to really consider it.

The other “affordable” club anywhere close to DC is National Golf Club, and I was a member there from 2016-2018. I’m not going to openly disparage a club, but it’s night and day there from woodmore. Again, happy to answer any questions I can and if ya join more than happy to play and introduce you to the other guys I play with. We’re not the best, but we’re fun!

• 2 weeks later...

International CC is an excellent golf course (except one hole).   The course has always been in excellent condition the dozen times that I have played it.   The greens are superb -- and fast.   There's a very nice practice area also. 

With everything in Northern Virginia, getting around the area is usually a traffic nightmare, especially on weekends.   

11 hours ago, DrDon said:

International CC is an excellent golf course (except one hole).   The course has always been in excellent condition the dozen times that I have played it.   The greens are superb -- and fast.   There's a very nice practice area also. 

With everything in Northern Virginia, getting around the area is usually a traffic nightmare, especially on weekends.   

Thanks for the feedback.  Any info on membership, like waitlist and is it in the $$$$$ bracket as far as initiation goes?  

15 hours ago, Sonja Henie said:

Thanks for the feedback.  Any info on membership, like waitlist and is it in the $$$$$ bracket as far as initiation goes?  

Last I remember it was in the 20s for initiation fee. Not sure on waitlist, but it’s a member owned course and I think it’s one in one out, but I could be wrong on that. 

• Like 1
On 12/28/2020 at 12:10 PM, Samcjohns said:

I might have missed it, but is there any actual figure floating around for young professionals at TPC Potomac? Looking at Hidden Creek just because of no initiation fee and no fear of sinking a bunch of money into a club that could get turned into a parking lot, but Potomac obviously is highly regarded.

Could you go into more detail if possible? No initiation fee but how much are monthly dues and food/drink minimums? Thank you! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/28/2020 at 3:10 PM, Samcjohns said:

I might have missed it, but is there any actual figure floating around for young professionals at TPC Potomac? Looking at Hidden Creek just because of no initiation fee and no fear of sinking a bunch of money into a club that could get turned into a parking lot, but Potomac obviously is highly regarded.

On 12/29/2020 at 10:42 PM, idontnoh said:

Could you go into more detail if possible? No initiation fee but how much are monthly dues and food/drink minimums? Thank you! 

So earlier in this thread I mentioned I was considering joining Hidden Creek, I pulled the trigger last April and it was a great idea for me. The food minimum is $150 per quarter, and the monthly dues were half off for a year when I signed on (not sure if the deal is still being run or not). That said, no initiation is fantastic and I don't think there's a better private club deal in the DC Area. Only issue is there are tons of members now and there are issues getting tee times every once in a while. Also the new GM is annoying, but everyone else who works there is really nice and helpful. I'm even getting married there in May!

In terms of selling the course for development, there's been talk of it since I joined but they are officially keeping it as a golf course for the foreseeable future. The District Supervisor came out and said that there will not be any redevelopment due to the residents being against it. Also, Reston's original charter has protections for both golf courses (Hidden Creek and Reston National) under any and all circumstances and I've been told it is very difficult to change.

Let me know if you have any other questions, feel free to shoot me a PM if you'd like.

40 minutes ago, jwellefson1 said:

Also, Reston's original charter has protections for both golf courses (Hidden Creek and Reston National) under any and all circumstances and I've been told it is very difficult to change.

When Reston was originally planned, the developers were allowed to increase density in the development areas in return for guaranteeing a significant amount of open space elsewhere.  Road widths and alignments (lots and lots of curves) are specifically designed for the traffic demands, with little extra capacity.  Its going to be REALLY difficult to change those historic zoning deals for new additional development, and extremely difficult to enlarge the existing roads to service new development.  Adding to that, a big part of the golf course is in flood plain areas.  That doesn't mean it floods frequently, I think they define floodplain there as a 1% chance in a given year. (100-year storm), but generally development is not allowed below that 100-year flood level.  

I don't think there's much potential for development at Hidden Creek for the semi-near future.

1 hour ago, jwellefson1 said:

Only issue is there are tons of members now and there are issues getting tee times every once in a while.

Can you explain the tee time process? I'm debating joining there but have heard from two guys I played with that there is some sort of lottery system for tee times. I'm from a smaller area so this is new to me. Would you ever not be able to get out on a weekend before 10am?

5 hours ago, tungstenplug said:

Can you explain the tee time process? I'm debating joining there but have heard from two guys I played with that there is some sort of lottery system for tee times. I'm from a smaller area so this is new to me. Would you ever not be able to get out on a weekend before 10am?

The tee time system is not great, basically you put in a tee time request before Wednesday at Noon with the amount of people and time preference and they get back to you Thursday (usually). I've gotten some early tee times but I've also gotten it like 2 hours after my requested time. Thing is the membership just keeps growing as this deal gets more publicized, so I know last week some folks couldn't get tee times on the 2nd (when it was 60 degrees). The main problem is that you find out that you don't have a time on Thursday and then all the public courses end up booked. In the offseason they are doing 10am shotguns every weekend to avoid frost delays. 

They do the lottery system there to try and give everyone a fair chance at a good tee time, but I'm not convinced it's the best way to do it.

• Like 1
On 1/8/2021 at 7:25 AM, jwellefson1 said:

So earlier in this thread I mentioned I was considering joining Hidden Creek, I pulled the trigger last April and it was a great idea for me. The food minimum is $150 per quarter, and the monthly dues were half off for a year when I signed on (not sure if the deal is still being run or not). That said, no initiation is fantastic and I don't think there's a better private club deal in the DC Area. Only issue is there are tons of members now and there are issues getting tee times every once in a while. Also the new GM is annoying, but everyone else who works there is really nice and helpful. I'm even getting married there in May!

In terms of selling the course for development, there's been talk of it since I joined but they are officially keeping it as a golf course for the foreseeable future. The District Supervisor came out and said that there will not be any redevelopment due to the residents being against it. Also, Reston's original charter has protections for both golf courses (Hidden Creek and Reston National) under any and all circumstances and I've been told it is very difficult to change.

Let me know if you have any other questions, feel free to shoot me a PM if you'd like.

On 1/8/2021 at 2:37 PM, jwellefson1 said:

The tee time system is not great, basically you put in a tee time request before Wednesday at Noon with the amount of people and time preference and they get back to you Thursday (usually). I've gotten some early tee times but I've also gotten it like 2 hours after my requested time. Thing is the membership just keeps growing as this deal gets more publicized, so I know last week some folks couldn't get tee times on the 2nd (when it was 60 degrees). The main problem is that you find out that you don't have a time on Thursday and then all the public courses end up booked. In the offseason they are doing 10am shotguns every weekend to avoid frost delays. 

They do the lottery system there to try and give everyone a fair chance at a good tee time, but I'm not convinced it's the best way to do it.

Thank you for the info! It seems monthly dues and quarterly spends are very low but the tee time system is less than ideal. Mind if I PM with more questions about the tee time lottery and how much golf I’ll actually end up getting from my dues?

On 1/9/2021 at 8:57 PM, idontnoh said:

Thank you for the info! It seems monthly dues and quarterly spends are very low but the tee time system is less than ideal. Mind if I PM with more questions about the tee time lottery and how much golf I’ll actually end up getting from my dues?

Feel free to send a note over anytime, my PMs are always open.

Don't know much about memberships or the country club scene since I'm not in that $ bracket, but two of the best courses I've played in the area are Potomac Shores (Nicklaus Signature course) and Renditions. Just wanted to throw those out there since I've played them both recently and both were phenomenal. I'd do anything to be a member at either one. If nothing else, they're at least good course recommendations for anyone in the area who clicks on the thread.

Callaway Epic Max (Aldila Rogue Black 130 MSI 60 TS)

Taylormade SIM2 Rescue 17 & 21 (Fujikura Atmos Tour Spec Blue 85 S)

Taylormade P770 5i-AW (True Temper Elevate Tour XS)

Titleist Vokey 54S & 58D (True Temper Elevate Tour S)

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5