UST Recoil 95 in irons? Likes...Dislikes?

Joe Jordan

I’m looking at getting new irons and was getting fitted the other day. First I’m 38, 10 handicap but about a year ago hurt my back. Since then I’ve surprisingly lost some club head speed. The fitter suggested the UST Recoil 95 R. I’ve always played stiff flex and never thought about graphite in irons (thought it was for older guys) but the feel was amazing. Less vibration, felt a lot more stiff than what I was thinking. It was helping me get the ball up in the air as well. So my question is, how many people out there are playing graphite in there irons? Do you like it? Is this something we are going to start seeing more of?

I play Recoil 95 in stiff - I'm a "tweener" but I like these better than the KBS Tour R and for me very similar to the KBS Tour 90 in stiff, that I had moved into. I like the graphite feel. The stiff plays about like a stiff plays for me, in my experience, haven't tried the regular. Always a matter of feel and what works for your swing and not the label, but I'll be using graphite in my irons from here on out. Caveat: still have KBS Tour 90 stiff in my wedges, but expect to change that when I get new wedges this summer.

As far as the old guy stuff - it is becoming less and less - I just noticed Brendan Steele plays Steel Fibers yesterday and there are some others-

I play Steel Fibers in all but my 4 iron which has a UST 95 in it- I should have done it a long time ago- Hands, elbows, and shoulders thank me for switching and my game/handicap has improved..

UST Recoils are a great shaft-

• Like 1

I'm 38 and have been playing recoils the past roughly 18 months in my irons. Just a few weeks I put in a few recoil wedge shafts in my gap and sand. Only club besides my putter with a steel shaft is my lob and I only use that for shots from 25 yards and in.

I don't see myself ever going back to steel. Love the feel and love the vibration dampening. I saw no difference in dispersion/consistency since switching.

• Like 1

Bag 1                                                                                          Bag 2

Ping G425 Max 9* Ventus Black 7X                                         Taylor Made 300 Mini 13.5* Rogue Silver 70TX

Taylor Made 300 Mini 13.5* Rogue Silver 70TX                      Tour Edge Exotics CBX 20* Aldila Rip Alpha 105X

Titleist TSi3 16.5* Rogue Silver 80TX                                      Ben Hogan Ft Worth Hi 26* Recoil 110X

Titleist TS3 21* Rogue Black 95TX                                          Ben Hogan Ft Worth 32*, 38*, 44*, 50* Recoil 125X

Titleist T200 5 MCI Black 100X                                                Ben Hogan TK-15 58* Recoil Wedge Proto 125X

Titleist T100S 6-AW MCI Black 100X                                       Ping Vault Anser 2

Bettinardi HLX 3.0 56* MCI Mild 125                                        

Fourteen RM-22 60* Black Onyx S400

Cameron Special Select Squareback 2

I have 95 stiff and 110 stiff, both solid

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

I got fitted for Recoil 95 Reg in my Mizuno irons last year. Previously KBS Tour 105 R in TM irons, It's taken a while, especially as I was playing a Tour 80 stiff driver and 4 wood. I've gone to ST190 with Atmos Red R and everything is now coming together nicely.

Mizuno ST190 TS Driver Fujikura Atmos 6R

Cobra Radspeed 5W Fujikura Motore X F3 R

Taylormade 3,5 Hybrid (2010)
5 - 6 Mizuno MP18 MMC FliHi Recoil F3 95g R 
7 -W Mizuno MP18 SC Recoil F3 95g R
52.08 Vokey SM5
56.08 Vokey SM5
Any of 5 Pings and 1 Seemore FPG

I went with 125's in JPX 900 Tours, really been enjoying them. It's not a flimsy shaft, so definitely hit both flexes and go w/ what you hit best. You could always have the stiff's soft stepped if you're right in between. Good luck.

Bag 1                                                                                          Bag 2

Ping G425 Max 9* Ventus Black 7X                                         Taylor Made 300 Mini 13.5* Rogue Silver 70TX

Taylor Made 300 Mini 13.5* Rogue Silver 70TX                      Tour Edge Exotics CBX 20* Aldila Rip Alpha 105X

Titleist TSi3 16.5* Rogue Silver 80TX                                      Ben Hogan Ft Worth Hi 26* Recoil 110X

Titleist TS3 21* Rogue Black 95TX                                          Ben Hogan Ft Worth 32*, 38*, 44*, 50* Recoil 125X

Titleist T200 5 MCI Black 100X                                                Ben Hogan TK-15 58* Recoil Wedge Proto 125X

Titleist T100S 6-AW MCI Black 100X                                       Ping Vault Anser 2

Bettinardi HLX 3.0 56* MCI Mild 125                                        

Fourteen RM-22 60* Black Onyx S400

Cameron Special Select Squareback 2

Recoils really performed for me in the past, I miss the two Mizuno sets I reshafted with the 110 and 125 F4s. So easy on the body - virtually eliminated golfer's elbow. But, having steel only as an irons option the past two seasons, I got the elbow issue again. So, I just ordered another set for range and course play with the 110 in TM P760 - my left elbow can't wait!

After switching out steel into Recoils at similar wt., my distances/dispersions were not changed.

BAG ONE:                                                                                                   BAG TWO:
D - Callaway Rogue ST Max D                                               - Cobra F9 Tour Length  

5 -  Ping G425 Max 5(16.5)                                                    3 -  TEE C721 Pro 3 HL(16.5)

H - Callaway Mav P (18) Titleist TS2 (21)                              H - TM SF 2.0 (18) & (21)

I -  Titleist T300 4                                                                   I -  Taylormade SIM Max 4      
I -  Titleist T100 5-P/MR KK TiNi 105                                     I -  Taylormade P760 5-P/Recoils 110 F4

W - Vokey SM8 52, Vokey SM6 58                                        W - Vokey SM8 52, Vokey SM6 58 
P - Bellum Winmore Midi  787                                                - Guerin TS Black 370

@Joe Jordan said, "Less vibration, felt a lot more stiff than what I was thinking. It was helping me get the ball up in the air as well. So my question is, how many people out there are playing graphite in there irons? Do you like it? Is this something we are going to start seeing more of?"Question: Do you want to be prideful and risk injuring your back playing too heavy a shaft? Or would you like to play well with more helpful shafts?
I'm not trying to be harsh, I'm just delivering a warning from my physical therapist. I just got done with six weeks of therapy for a bad hip. The therapist also golfs, and suggested that golfers can risk cumulative trauma injuries by playing shafts that are too stiff/heavy for them.
The Recoil 95 is an excellent shaft that I have tried in several Callaway irons. It has a solid but lively feeling. One advantage: the 3, 4, 5i shafts are a bit lighter than the shorter irons shafts, so this helps with launch on the longer clubs.
Graphite shafts first appeared in irons in the late 1990s, mainly for seniors. Circa 2012, graphites became more available as stock shafts for irons. This second push, however, had design problems - see video. About 2016, I noticed graphite shafts that, although not as heavy as steel offering, had better balance and a more solid feel than their predecessors. Clubfitters and OEM golf show reps say that graphite shafts have different weaves to them than early models - more like braiding hair than simply having a bunch of parallel strands.
In this video clip, a clubfitter from Dallas interviews a Recoil executive about recent upgrades to graphite shaft technology.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPHC-IDMtgkThe Recoil 95 is "middle earth" for graphite shafts. SteelFiber also makes graphite shafts with some steel woven in, but these are a bit robust for many golfers.
Good luck on you golf - and your back! Let us know what happens with your club re-fit.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

OP, nothing wrong with going with one of the better graphite shafts like Recoil 95/110 and Steelfiber 95/110. I had a recent fitting where I hit my 919 HM 6 iron with all of these. Recoil 110 was the clear worst. Steelfiber 110 was the clear best. Recoil and Steelfiber 95s were decent but not as good as the SF 110. These are all serious, solid shafts, that give nothing up to steel shafts. But you need to get fit to see what works best for you. Good luck.

Ping G430 Max 9* Driver, GD Tour AD VR-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 Wood, GD Tour AD VR-7 S

Callaway Paradym 18* Super Hybrid, Aerotech Steelfiber fc75 Hy f4

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Mizuno JPX 923 HM Irons 6-GW, MMT 105 S

Taylormade Milled Grind 4 Wedges 54*/11 and 58*/11, MMT 105 TX (ss1x)

Odyssey O-Works #7CH Putter

Have the Recoil 95's regular flex in my MP 20 HMB's which I just got last October. Previous irons (MP 15's) had the Orochi 70 gram regular flex shafts. My ball dispersion is much, much better than before, my trajectory is more consistent, and I can actually flight the ball down better even though the HMB's are supposedly a higher trajectory iron according to most on here. I couldn't be happier with what I'm seeing and feeling. Note: I've been playing graphite shafts in my irons for about 10 years now due to dull ache in elbows when using steel shafts.

• 1 year later...
54 minutes ago, MMB1500 said:

Just curious what any Recoil users are using in their wedges?

I would have liked to try UST Recoil 95s as they would have played a little more like the Aldila NV Pro 105s that I used to like so much.

The manufacturer only offered Recoil 760s as a graphite choice, so I have it on both my numbered irons and my wedges.

• Like 1

Tour Edge E522___driver

Cleveland QuadPro___4 wood

Top Flite Intimidator 400___5, 7, 9 woods

Mizuno Fli Hi II___driving iron

Titleist T300___7-SW

Titleist SM6___LW

Tad Moore Chicopee___putter

Titleist Pro V1x___ball

• 3 weeks later...

just tried recoil 95 F3 in a Srixon demo today and was very impressed;. Tried Steelfiber 110s a few years back and was not impressed. Steelfiber felt dead and stiff. The recoils felt awesome and dispersion was great

• Like 1

Driver- TITLEIST TSr2 10° AD-HD 6s
3 Wood- TITLEIST TSi2 15° AD-DI 7s
Hybrid- TITLEIST TSr2 21° AD-HY 75s

Irons- SRIXON Zx5 Modus 105s
Wedges- CLEVELAND RTX-6 50/54/58 Tour Spinner 
Putter- PING  PLD Ally Blue 4

Ball- BRIDGESTONE Tour B X

I've had recoil 95 f3's in a couple of sets of irons and really liked them, but I would love if they made the 110 weight in f3.

• Like 1

Tour Edge c721/HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX

Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 3 wood/UST Elements MK
Ping g410 4h Tensei blue, Ping g425 6h Tensei orange

Maltby TS3 6-Gap w/Nippon N.S. Pro 1050GH

SnakeEyes 685BX 52*/Callaway Jaws Raw 58Z

TP Mills Sycamore Hakd Made, flow neck pencil shaft, 342 grams, Grip Master Roo FL27

Carbon Ringo wide-flange, slant neck, 330 grams

18 minutes ago, sm_watts said:

I've had recoil 95 f3's in a couple of sets of irons and really liked them, but I would love if they made the 110 weight in f3.

Couple of prototype sets out there.   Few and far between though

Edited by animalgolfs

9 Clubs Sunday Bag

UST Mamiya - Lamkin - RXS 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/topic/1840618-witb-731-full-bag/

4 hours ago, animalgolfs said:

Couple of prototype sets out there.   Few and far between though

I’ve never seen one, and I can’t imagine that soft-stepping x3 is really maintaining the original design quality of a shaft. 

TP Mills Sycamore Hakd Made, flow neck pencil shaft, 342 grams, Grip Master Roo FL27

14 hours ago, sm_watts said:

I’ve never seen one, and I can’t imagine that soft-stepping x3 is really maintaining the original design quality of a shaft. 

Huh? That's not how that works - at least that I'm aware of

F3 is a flex  - not a stepping process

• Like 2

9 Clubs Sunday Bag

9 hours ago, animalgolfs said:

Huh? That's not how that works - at least that I'm aware of

F3 is a flex  - not a stepping process

Sorry, I wasn’t clear- I’ve had people suggest that I soft-step some recoil 110 F4’s (stiff) three times to make them play like a regular flex. 

I play Recoil 95's in both my ping 'S' sets, and have 1 set of Recoil 95 F4 and the other set in Recoil Prototype 95 F3 Hardstepped 1X. 

They both feel similar but the Protos are a touch more accurate and launch slightly lower, but peak height/spin rate between the 2 sets are very similar.

Went from heavy steel clubs that were tearing up my elbows and wrists, but with these shafts, I can play golf everyday now. Huge Upgrade!

13 hours ago, sm_watts said:

Sorry, I wasn’t clear- I’ve had people suggest that I soft-step some recoil 110 F4’s (stiff) three times to make them play like a regular flex. 

I have experience softstepping Recoil....my 58* is 125 F4 Proto ssx2

IMO I would not recommend the soft step x3.... I'm pretty sure F4 non-proto ssx1 would be close to what you're after

9 Clubs Sunday Bag

2 hours ago, animalgolfs said:

IMO I would not recommend the soft step x3.... I'm pretty sure F4 non-proto ssx1 would be close to what you're after

I've given this some thought already, but the first thing I noticed about my Ping Eye 2+ irons is that they have a very low bottom-bore to ground measurement, so finding a set of 110 pulls that will fit the lengths I'm looking for will take some patience.  I would be looking for a set that is about 1" longer than standard for most other iron sets, and that's already factoring in the approximate 1/2" longer that ssx1 would  make them.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

@Joe Jordan What shafts you end up with in your irons?

The Recoil 95 F4's in my full-swing irons feel way better than steel to me with better dispersion. They are amazing. The wind normally blows 15+ with gusts to 25+ mph at my club with it being pretty close to the coast, and the lower ball flight with the vibration dampening the Recoils provide is perfect for me. I'm using Recoil 95 F4's in my irons through PW

On 11/12/2021 at 6:23 AM, MMB1500 said:

Just curious what any Recoil users are using in their wedges?

I'm using a Recoil 95 F4 in my PW, a Modus3 120 stiff in my GW, and KBS 610 R+ (115gr) Wedge shafts in my SW and LW. I'm contemplating putting a Recoil 95 F4 in my GW for testing. The KBS 610 R+ (115gr) Wedge shafts in my SW and LW work really well for me and gives me increased feel since I use these clubs for partial shots. I just haven't gotten away from steel in my wedges yet, but never say never...

• Thanks 1

TaylorMade Stealth 2 Plus 9.0* w/Fujikura Ventus VeloCore Blue 6s

TaylorMade Stealth+ 15* w/Project X HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 70 6.0

TaylorMade SIM Ti 19.0* w/Fujikura Ventus VeloCore Blue 7s

TaylorMade M3 19/22* w/OBAN Revenge 85

TaylorMade 2019 P790's 5- thru 9-Iron w/UST Recoil 95

Cleveland RTX ZipCore 6 46/09 w/KBS 610 115gr

Cleveland RTX ZipCore 50/09, 54/14, 58/14 w/KBS 610 115gr

Odyssey O-Works Red Tank #7 38-Inch w/SuperStroke CounterCore Flatso 2.0XL

TaylorMade 2022 Tour Response